IGNORED

Chris Weale To Leicester

silverfox

Obviously

If he loans in that keeper though if Basso gets injured then where does it leave Henderson? Unlikely to get games.

Maybe he means he will loan someone in as back up to Henderson. If Basso gets injured, and he doesn't want to risk one of the youth keepers on the bench, it is conceivable that GJ will loan in a keeper as, initially, back up to Henderson, then possibly challenge him if he's good enough.

If Basso gets injured, a loan keeper would be essential as the youth guys might not be up to scratch yet, because you can't be going around with only one senior keeper fit.

I don't know what goes through GJ's mind in these situations, but maybe it's that....

On balance I am not too upset that Weale has left although I would not have been disappointed to see him stay either!! Basso is clearly a proven Championship standard goalkeeper and from what limited action I have seen of Henderson we need not worry if Basso's form dips or he gets a serious injury rather than a bruise which forces him off the pitch!! Weale still has it all to prove in my view that he can last the pace and put in forty odd Championship standard performances over a long hard season. So perhaps it was inevitable that Basso would be the one retained. We certainly didn't require three goalkeepers within the context that the Guardian have us down as one of the lower end payers in the league and our squad needs bolstering with quality in other areas. The saving on Weale's wages will undoubtedly help in that regard.

My feeling is that Basso will be the Number 1 for next season, Henderson will be pushing him hard the following season and then Henderson should be about right to take over with Basso as cover perhaps. We will then need another keeper to challenge Henderson properly.

could not have put it better myself

I'm not having a dig at henderson. I'm saying that he could end up the same way as Weale, with little to no first team opportunities. Especially if there are 5 or 6 keepers lined up to loan in if Basso gets injured. Basso is good but I don't feel that he was anywhere near as good last season as he was previously.

In the matches Henderson has played he has proved that at 21 he is well capable of becoming nr. 1 and in 3-4 years time he will be. We will only see another keeper if either of the two get injured and then only as back up. Right or wrong, at 27 and not yet proved at this level Weales "best before" date was passed.

A question to you all: Who scored two goals against us on Bassos debut?

On balance I am not too upset that Weale has left although I would not have been disappointed to see him stay either!! Basso is clearly a proven Championship standard goalkeeper and from what limited action I have seen of Henderson we need not worry if Basso's form dips or he gets a serious injury rather than a bruise which forces him off the pitch!! Weale still has it all to prove in my view that he can last the pace and put in forty odd Championship standard performances over a long hard season. So perhaps it was inevitable that Basso would be the one retained. We certainly didn't require three goalkeepers within the context that the Guardian have us down as one of the lower end payers in the league and our squad needs bolstering with quality in other areas. The saving on Weale's wages will undoubtedly help in that regard.

My feeling is that Basso will be the Number 1 for next season, Henderson will be pushing him hard the following season and then Henderson should be about right to take over with Basso as cover perhaps. We will then need another keeper to challenge Henderson properly.

Should be Victor Norling, 18, Trelleborgs FF. Established in the Swedish prem. and our U18 team.

Probably for 1/4 of the cost of Weale.

In the matches Henderson has played he has proved that at 21 he is well capable of becoming nr. 1 and in 3-4 years time he will be. We will only see another keeper if either of the two get injured and then only as back up. Right or wrong, at 27 and not yet proved at this level Weales "best before" date was passed.

A question to you all: Who scored two goals against us on Bassos debut?

Wasn't his debut against Swindon on that Friday night, where we stood in the horrible wet and wind?! Collectively Swindon scored twice, but I think it was Fallon (surprise, surprise) and A.N. Other, but I can't remember who!

EDIT: apparently, Mr. A.N. Other was Neale McDermott, son of Liverpool legend Terry!

Enjoyed the game though, despite the defeat singing along in the rain is remarkably good fun!

And on Chris Weale leaving, I feel like it's wrong somehow. I have this vision of him being an amazing keeper, but I have no idea why as I haven't seen him play! It feels like we've let a 'gem' go, but he can't really be a 'gem' as he is yet to prove himself at this level yet, I don't think. So on that basis we can't really have let a 'gem' go! Confused much!

Time will tell, as always, as to how wise this decision was. With his injury record, and relatively low experience in the Championship, and the fact GJ rarely gets the 'people who to let go' question wrong, I think this makes sense. Although he wasn't given much chance here when fit. Basically, what Greebo said, but I've written it terribly.

Wasn't his debut against Swindon on that Friday night, where we stood in the horrible wet and wind?! Collectively Swindon scored twice, but I think it was Fallon (surprise, surprise) and A.N. Other, but I can't remember who!

Enjoyed the game though, despite the defeat singing along in the rain is remarkably good fun!

:winner_third_h4h:

Archived