IGNORED

Another Exciting Home Friendly

Rocky

I expect we get wycombe instead of Man U because the Manchester supports would say

"How exciting Bristol City pre season. Where is Bristol again?" Believing they are too good to play a side from a league below them. Jumped up arrogant bunch of ........ they are!

come on some of you are acting like we have a god given right to play against the likes of Arsenal Chelsea etc but if their attitude is the same as some peoples on here it's no wonder we don't. In fact if a lower prem side played us pre season there would be some on here moaning.

Guest MaloneFM

Well I went to Forest Green last season and bloody good it was too. Chips at half time, Sky Sports in the bar and sit wherever you want.

Lovely....

Bloody hell some people are easily pleased Woodman one of the worse players to ever pull on a City shirt .

I'd rather be easily pleased than easily prone to hyperbole. One of the worst players to ever pull on a City shirt? Bit strong. He didn't develop brilliantly, and was always a squad player, but at one point he looked like he might inherit Mickey Bell's position. It never quite happened.

He was a good bloke, and came up through our academy. I hope he does well and would like to see what sort of player he's become.

Obviously I'd rather we had Barcelona, but this holds more interest for me than playing Brentford. Yes, it makes me easily pleased but I think it could be an interesting friendly, which to my mind is all you're after in the friendlies.

i can barely read my reply since i just spaffed all over the screen in excitement

can anyone on the board, or ideally from the ST, explain why (or ask the club for an explanation) we haven't lined something up with Willem II? of course it's not easy, but a pre-season friendly, a couple of our youngsters over there, a few of their's here...are there disadvantages i'm not seeing?

I would like to se one vs a familiar European side, obviously realism dictates that we would not get a top one but come on, even Swindon got Fenerbahce and Steaua Bucharest the other year ffs!?! Someone like that or maybe if we were lucky, Espanyol, Real Mallorca, perhaps Udinese, I would certainly look forward to that! An annual pre season Bristol derby would be a good thing too I imagine.

Bloody hell some people are easily pleased Woodman one of the worse players to ever pull on a City shirt .

Or maybe a youngster that hit the 1st team too soon in his times at City ??

Wycombe have just got promoted & Woodmand was voted their player of the year by both their fans & players - for a full back (not exactly the most glamorous position on the field) that's some achievement.

Interestingly the grossly over rated Tommy Doc didn't win either of the player of the year awards. One can only assume that the Adams Park faithful see a player getting himself sent off as a lack of discipline rather than some misguided confirmation that he "cares".

Interestingly the grossly over rated Tommy Doc didn't win either of the player of the year awards. One can only assume that the Adams Park faithful see a player getting himself sent off as a lack of discipline rather than some misguided confirmation that he "cares".

Did TD ever do something to you?

Just checked the Wycombe site and he played in 34 out of 46 games - sent off twice so that probably accounts for most of the games he's missed.

Not sure if they are right, but Wycombe say that he was in the PFA league 2 side.

If so, then maybe people who know better than you don't think he's over rated.

Getting himself sent off just in time for his Birthday every year, coincidence? :whistle2:

Did TD ever do something to you?

Just checked the Wycombe site and he played in 34 out of 46 games - sent off twice so that probably accounts for most of the games he's missed.

Not sure if they are right, but Wycombe say that he was in the PFA league 2 side.

If so, then maybe people who know better than you don't think he's over rated.

I liked TD as a player, but thought a) he was massively over hyped yet b) he could have made a much better career for himself if he'd really wanted to. Nothing really frustrates me more than someone unable/unwilling to make the best of their selves... the same applies to Noble.

Fair point re the PFA team.

I liked TD as a player, but thought a) he was massively over hyped yet b) he could have made a much better career for himself if he'd really wanted to. Nothing really frustrates me more than someone unable/unwilling to make the best of their selves... the same applies to Noble.

Fair point re the PFA team.

I think injuries didn't help - heard he likes an evening out, but not sure if that's hindered him.

Never met him so don't know what his attitude is like.

Sometimes I think a bit of luck plays a part - being in the right place at the right time, because i'm sure we have all seen players at a lower level and wondered why they weren't higher up the food chain.

Likewise some players appear regularly at a level which baffles some observers.

Getting himself sent off just in time for his Birthday every year, coincidence? :whistle2:

I grew up with Tom and am still a very close friend of his! So forgive me if i am slightly biased in my opinion towards him!

However, even though i may be a close friend of his i still regard him as an excellent player both when he played for city and even now at Wycombe!

Yes he's not the fittest player in the world and he sure as hell aint the quickest but Tom has been like that since we were in nursery. Even at school he was never the quickest player or the fittest but he was always picked in the teams and very regularly picked as captain! Mainly based on his enthusiasm for the game!

Yes he gets sent off but thats only because he has such passion. He is a hard tackler and isn't one to shirk giving his opinion (even if it does get him in trouble). And yes he has tried to change himself but he realises thats who he is and Peter Taylor has told him on many occasions not to change who he is!

During his City days he was offered several moves away from the club (all were to higher based teams) and Tom declined every move because he didn't want to play for anyone other than City. He never wanted leave City but didn't get on with Brian Tinnion when Tinman was a player so as soon as he became the gaffa Tom knew his Bristol City days were over! He was heartbroken over this but knew he had no choice but to move on.

He aboslutely loved Bristol City with a passion and still does.

Christ, If I wanted to watch ######* Wycombe, I could go to Adamned Park, and it would cost a s***load less to do so!

No danger of any good pre season friendies is there?

Wolves wont be by the time Avon And Somersets finest work out who it is...

Roll on the season FFS!

It still seems to have escaped everybody's attention that Prem clubs now play lucrative tournaments around the world in pre-season, the object being to make yet more money. Sorry that should read build up match fitness. The chances of us playing them is therefore as close to zero as it gets.

Peterborough who are now at our level, have home friendlies v Spurs, Villa and Glasgow Rangers. Surely a Scottish club aren't coming this far South for just one game?

Even it was for 45 minutes a time...

Funny the dicks we have down the gate now....slate a player that loves the club and would give his rigth arm for.

But the same ones are moaning Noble hasn't had a chance in the team and shouldn't be going, yet has all the same problems allegadly that Tommy has (beer, unfit) and has no connection to the club at all. don't forget Tommy will be down the gate watching city long after Nobes has gone.

Makes you wonder...........

Funny the dicks we have down the gate now....slate a player that loves the club and would give his rigth arm for.

But the same ones are moaning Noble hasn't had a chance in the team and shouldn't be going, yet has all the same problems allegadly that Tommy has (beer, unfit) and has no connection to the club at all. don't forget Tommy will be down the gate watching city long after Nobes has gone.

Makes you wonder...........

Not really.

If Tommy cared so much why did he not make the grade when he was clearly good enough or had the potential? He could have been a Championship player if he had improved his fitness. I can't see why I should have more respect for him than Noble. Both have talent but both seem to have wasted it. Frankly I couldn't care if a Bristol Rovers fan was playing for us as long as he produced the goods. And Noble produced better football at a better level than Docs ever did.

Tinnion was right to get rid- Docs hasn't exactly set the footballing world on fire has he since leaving? He definately had the passion but that wasn't enought to carry him in the end.

Peterborough who are now at our level, have home friendlies v Spurs, Villa and Glasgow Rangers. Surely a Scottish club aren't coming this far South for just one game?

Having an up and coming manager with the name Ferguson probably helps also I think Rangers can probably afford to come South of the border on a one off - I've heard they get as far as Italy and Spain sometimes.

Not really.

If Tommy cared so much why did he not make the grade when he was clearly good enough or had the potential? He could have been a Championship player if he had improved his fitness. I can't see why I should have more respect for him than Noble. Both have talent but both seem to have wasted it. Frankly I couldn't care if a Bristol Rovers fan was playing for us as long as he produced the goods. And Noble produced better football at a better level than Docs ever did.

Tinnion was right to get rid- Docs hasn't exactly set the footballing world on fire has he since leaving? He definately had the passion but that wasn't enought to carry him in the end.

I think you will find Tommy was one of our best players the last time we were up in the championship (or league 1, division 2 what everyou want to call it).

Tommy only lost his fitness after the injuries he suffered playing for our club. God how some people forget or were you there in the first place? pawn sandwiche anyone.

This Tinnion love in gets on my nerves too, yes he was a good player but he almost destroyed our club, legend no not for me, Atteo was a legend and in my eyes Mr Lansdown is a legend.

Tommy only lost his fitness after the injuries he suffered playing for our club. God how some people forget or were you there in the first place? pawn sandwiche anyone.

That's my understanding, but he did recover sufficiently to play international football of course.

Only NI I know but its who you play against that counts - I think he might of been MoM against Spain?

NI are rated about where Scotland are now, yet some highly rated City midfielderss can't even make their B team..

Not saying TD could or should be back here, but I wonder if some posters actually saw much of him.

I think you will find Tommy was one of our best players the last time we were up in the championship (or league 1, division 2 what everyou want to call it).

This Tinnion love in gets on my nerves too, yes he was a good player but he almost destroyed our club, legend no not for me, Atteo was a legend and in my eyes Mr Lansdown is a legend.

He played in the Championship for one season and didn't play that much- 15 games. Hard to be a stand out player when you play so few times in a season I would say. I remember that season reasonably well and he was not really any better than anyone else.

How did Tinnion almost destroy out club? Did he alsmot make us bankrupt or something? Yes we know he wasn't any good as manager but I'm not sure what relevance that has to the Tommy Doc thing as getting rid of him was one of the things few Tinnion got right as manager.

I can see that you being friends with Docs has clearly blinded you in to thinking he is some kind of God. He was good player at League 1 who didn't have fitness to carry on to a higher level than that- whether that be from injuries or other. Up to you if you believe the stories I guess.

He lost his own direction. Nothing to do with Tinnion or QPR or his retirement from International footaball with Northern Ireland. It was to do with the players own motivation.

I can't wait to see how our new creative midfield player fits in with Marvin and Cole.

Hopefully.

Then there is the situation of Marvin or Cole going elsewhere. Will Artus, soon to be 21 get his chance, even if he is good enough. Lots of questions to be answered, even if we do sign a new creative midfield player, and I don't see it happening.

GJ may think he has what he needs. If nobody leaves, Elliot, Williams, Skuse, LJ, Artus, Brian Wilson. Thats 6 for 2 positions. Enough numbers, but I don't think its a quality 6 that will lead us to the Premier League. Two of those 6 names are a waste of our money. Four quality players would be more to the point.

Then there is the situation of Marvin or Cole going elsewhere. Will Artus, soon to be 21 get his chance, even if he is good enough. Lots of questions to be answered, even if we do sign a new creative midfield player, and I don't see it happening.

GJ may think he has what he needs. If nobody leaves, Elliot, Williams, Skuse, LJ, Artus, Brian Wilson. Thats 6 for 2 positions. Enough numbers, but I don't think its a quality 6 that will lead us to the Premier League. Two of those 6 names are a waste of our money. Four quality players would be more to the point.

Brian Wilson isn't going to play in the middle. On Artus I imagine a good pre-season will get him a chance. If we're playing a 442 we still need a better player alongside Skuse or Elliott in the first XI than we have.

I think that the club could do a little bit more with the fans in mind to be honest. If the view from the professionals is that pre-season is just a little jog around to get people fit and form the makings of a team early on in the season then fair enough. But the club could either arrange the odd mouthwatering match (Wolves DOES NOT count as that by the way) or, if we are to play a procession of lower league opposition, arrange some form of tour that fans can go on.

There would probably be more interest if we had away games at Brechin, Stranraer and QOS than trotting down to Hereford, Forest Green and Yeovil every single season (no disrespect intended and they probably get fed up playing us!!).

I'm not really suprised with the lack of quality fixtures. I can remember playing a couple of high profile european teams and getting completely outclassed - Real Mallorca and Borussia Monchengladbach. I'm happy with us beating a Yeovil or Cheltenham by the odd goal than being stuffed 5-o by Monchengladbach

Archived