IGNORED

Another Exciting Home Friendly

Rocky

Why do people get so worked up about what boring friendlys we may or may not have - Who cares they mean nothing, the next game i care about will be on august 8th 2009.

Would you rather know what malaria feels like in the middle of the jungle or back home with your GP before you get on the plane?

Preparation for this season will be everything, given how massive it will be regarding both our league status and our bid to have the New Gate included in the World Cup bid. If our first game is versus a Newcastle, Boro, Sheff U or Burnley playing the Usual Suspects for five days doesn't instill confidence about being able to raise our game that quickly, unless the Wolves game (or the highest level one) is last.

It still seems to have escaped everybody's attention that Prem clubs now play lucrative tournaments around the world in pre-season, the object being to make yet more money. Sorry that should read build up match fitness. The chances of us playing them is therefore as close to zero as it gets. Might be a chance of a game with Stoke I suppose. :innocent06: But what the hey why let facts get in the way of a good whinge?

Preparation for this season will be everything, given how massive it will be regarding both our league status and our bid to have the New Gate included in the World Cup bid. If our first game is versus a Newcastle, Boro, Sheff U or Burnley playing the Usual Suspects for five days doesn't instill confidence about being able to raise our game that quickly, unless the Wolves game (or the highest level one) is last.

Thats all very well but nevertheless friendlies mean nothing. Many players don't want to risk injury before the start of the real matches and friendlies are simply warm up games for both teams. No-on cares much about the result.

Friendlies are necessary but meaningless to the fans.

I'm so excited I think I'm going to wet myself. This really is a massive coup.

:rofl2br: :rofl2br: The only thing that made me wet myself nearly is your signature! Thats got me in stitches!

Did anyone see the MOTD clip with the ballon popping, that had me in stitches too!

Would you rather know what malaria feels like in the middle of the jungle or back home with your GP before you get on the plane?

Well, to extend your analogy, since we have no option to either delay the start of the season, or not participate in the league, getting on the plane is actually inevitable, malaria or otherwise.

Pre season games are more about getting back match fitness than assessing the squad. If it comes to pre-season and the squad isn't good enough it's pretty much too late to do anything about it.

Results are utterly irrelevant in preseason games (indeed it often seems that the worse the results are in preseason the better the following season is). Besides which, even if you do believe them to be relevant you must consider the psychological advantage of going into the season off the back of a run of comfortable wins, rather than getting smashed by clubs from higher leagues.

Many players don't want to risk injury before the start of the real matches and friendlies are simply warm up games for both teams. No-on cares much about the result.

Presumably that's the 7 who are guaranteed to start every game rather than those who might be trying to play their way into the managers plans.

Take your point about the results being meaningless, although a good level competitive match the week before the season starts must be a plus?

Gary and Pete Johnson's uncle is the chief scout at Wycombe, so no surprise to see us teaming up with them. That's also why Akinde went to them on loan.

This proves beyond any doubt at all that there is no nepotism at AG - otherwise uncle would be working for us wouldn't he.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing doherty and woodman again, so I'll probably buy tickets for that one. I do agree that it would be good to have a big team though, and I'm finding it hard to see where those two exciting friendlies will appear in our fixture list.
Bloody hell some people are easily pleased Woodman one of the worse players to ever pull on a City shirt .

Archived