IGNORED

Rob Stambolziev To Greece.

Lee F

Not very often wrong is our GJ. But he has not exactly let him go as he offered terms. Although not acceptable to the player. So GJ must have thought him worth keeping. So we have lost him.

My concern is surely if only 4 were good enough from the class of 08/09 academy and we lose one of those due to not offering enough in the deal. In business terms how much ROI (return on investment) is the academy creating?

In simple terms what does it cost to run and what is the final return for that investment. i.e Is there a player that will come through to the 1st team that will mean we do not have to spend 1 mill on a player from outside. That would be a good return IMO. But I don't think we have had many of those have we?

I dare say you make a valid point, but you are in danger of awakening the Academy Kracken. Entering stage left, with a muted round of applause, long-time Academy sceptic(drumroll).... Mr Ashtonyate!!!!

Ok here is the proof that backed up the info I was given.

From a curerent players G/F

poor u!... didnt even realise u'd left bcfc...was talking to XXXXXXXX y'day & he told me bout johnsons crap treatment & offer...cant believe it..such talent lost..good luck in greece though xx

From a current player-

ayyy stambolziev!

dude! i didn't get to say my goodbyes.

but this will do...:laugh:

just good luck with the rest of you're life bro, take it easy, surf some waves :laugh: and just chill right out in oz.

wish you all the best for the future and rob, XXXXXX SWEEP!

...(nice little quote to finish)

"billy likes to drink soda, ms lippys car is green."

take it easy brosif. x

Ok here is the proof that backed up the info I was given.

From a curerent players G/F

poor u!... didnt even realise u'd left bcfc...was talking to XXXXXXXX y'day & he told me bout johnsons crap treatment & offer...cant believe it..such talent lost..good luck in greece though xx

From a current player-

ayyy stambolziev!

dude! i didn't get to say my goodbyes.

but this will do...:laugh:

just good luck with the rest of you're life bro, take it easy, surf some waves :laugh: and just chill right out in oz.

wish you all the best for the future and rob, XXXXXX SWEEP!

...(nice little quote to finish)

"billy likes to drink soda, ms lippys car is green."

take it easy brosif. x

So the kids of today not only speak patois, they even text in patois!

Pft

So whats the actual truth here? Is it out of the 4 youngsters offered pro terms one of them thinks he can do better elsewhere in terms of pay or development? Or is it that GJ has carefuly considered what these players potential is and they have been offered a fair package? Or how about GJ just doesnt go for youth and has effectively blocked this young players progress with no indication that he would be given a chance next season?

Would really love to know why one of the clubs so called up and coming players is leaving to continue his football abroad.

His comments in the EP was that he was happy to put pen to paper with Bristol City after the faith they had shown in him, and looking after him when bringing him oever from Australia.

Peter Styvar is expected to go on loan to a Greek Club with an agreed fee if he gets on O.K.

Some confusion somewhere but thats new on here. :fingerscrossed::city:

This has to be bollox sorry, don't believe anything you read on facebook either, infact allways discount it.

Don't think LeeF is one who postd silly rumors though, maybe there is something in it?

Hmmmz, unless he's playing for Panathinaikos or Olympiakos though moving to Greece would be a disastrous career move for the young lad, he still has much to learn.

Guess we'll see, but can't ignore that he put pen to paper hear, unless he did'nt, did he? :noexpression:

The origonal info came from a mutual friend and not from facebook. I decided to just look at FB after people said this could not be true. I can only post what i believe to be true. The person who told me did so in general conversation and it did not seem as though they were feeding me a line.

But as a few have said we will see. I do hope that I have been told wrongly but I am afraid that will not be the case.

The origonal info came from a mutual friend and not from facebook. I decided to just look at FB after people said this could not be true. I can only post what i believe to be true. The person who told me did so in general conversation and it did not seem as though they were feeding me a line.

But as a few have said we will see. I do hope that I have been told wrongly but I am afraid that will not be the case.

I hope you are wrong also. i can't believe we would screw up that badly if the claims of what a great youngster he is is true. i do believe that his mothers family being Greek does lend itself to him visiting family there.

After rejecting the offer from us seems he will be playing in Greece.

Should we be allowing this talent that we have nurtured to leave. :disapointed2se:

I heard similar to this, but I heard he's moving to Australia.

I hope you are wrong also. i can't believe we would screw up that badly if the claims of what a great youngster he is is true.

There were a lot of claims about Marvin Brown being a great youngster too.

It's disappointing if true because I think we all wanted him to be brilliant, but GJ knows what he's doing and if he wanted him to stay would have offered an appropriate contract. I don't think the club has screwed up here.

After rejecting the offer from us seems he will be playing in Greece.

Should we be allowing this talent that we have nurtured to leave. :disapointed2se:

If it is true. I wonder how much the aussie national coaching had something to do with it. if I remember rightly the Oz national coach had told carle that palace or BCFC was not the place to be playing. he did appear for Oz junior team last week. Big assumption I know but he did appear to be happy when interviewed about his professional offer from BCFC but a month has elapsed.

It's disappointing if true because I think we all wanted him to be brilliant, but GJ knows what he's doing and if he wanted him to stay would have offered an appropriate contract. I don't think the club has screwed up here.

I shall wait for the flack, but maybe he doesn't always know what he's doing.

Lee Trundle £1 million misfit.

Nick Carle, here for about six months.

Peter Styvar, here less than six months.

That's 3 big signings that haven't worked out.

I really cant see anything in facebook to suggest hes gone!! To behonest he aint going nowhere...We will see rob next season for sure.

Why would he publicise it on facebook and why have you got him as a friend, anyway? :noexpression:

I shall wait for the flack, but maybe he doesn't always know what he's doing.

Lee Trundle £1 million misfit.

Nick Carle, here for about six months.

Peter Styvar, here less than six months.

That's 3 big signings that haven't worked out.

Well first up those are signings, not players who were released. Different situation entirely.

Secondly Johnson almost certainly made a wise move in getting rid of Carle when he did (and making a profit)

Thirdly Styvar has gone nowhere as of yet and if he does it's more about Johnson knowing when to get rid. The fact that signing him was a mistake isn't relevant really.

Fourthly, Trundle may have been a little disappointed but he has added some value and the price tag is more an indication of the state of the market than of Trundle himself or Johnson's valuation (i.e. everything is relative).

The fact that signing him was a mistake isn't relevant really.

If you're going to make general statements like "GJ knows what he's doing" then the clear and obvious mistakes highlighted are definitely relevant.

It's hard to know whether or not Stambolsiev will make it but I would point out that GJ's record for giving young players a chance is awful. You can say they're not good enough but it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if young players don't get a chance the better ones will offski sharpish, you have to give reasonable opportunities or none of them ever will be. Not playing the younger players for the last few games of last season was utterly ludicrous for example.

If you're going to make general statements like "GJ knows what he's doing" then the clear and obvious mistakes highlighted are definitely relevant.

It's not a general statement when it's taken in context. We're talking about getting rid of players he's been able to see day in day out for years. And I don't think he's got one wrong yet.

So, another prospect is off then?

:disapointed2se:

Is it a case of a weak youth academy or a lack of attractiveness of us as a club? Because I don't understand how we seem to keep on hemmoraging youth academy players.

It's quite simple mate - when you have a first team manager who doesn't feel able to give youth a chance then these players will bugger off and the parents of the better young players in the area will send their boys to other Academies rather than ours. Why would you want your boy to do a scholarship and then be farmed out to Exeter, Kettering, Brentford and Cheltenham for example in the hope that he might be ready for a first team start when he is twenty-three? No disrespect to these lads but when James Wilson sees Journeymen like Iriekpen (I felt he did a good job to be fair to him) being acquired and then Sodge being linked to us then you really cannot blame him for thinking his future may lie elsewhere.

Clearly you have to be careful and sensible when pitching in young lads but I refer to the ridiculous state of affairs last season when Basso walked off the pitch like a big girls blouse, Henderson came on and did fantastically well and then Basso was put straight back in the following week with Chris Weale, who everyone with a brain cell in their head knew was buggering off in the Summer, being promised the game if Basso wasn't going to be fit. At the time Henderson must have been fuming and the Chris Weale departure is probably the main thing keeping him at the club. GJ's loyalty to non-performing first team regulars at the back end of last season was his poorest piece of management since he has been at the club.

The club also has an issue with coaching at the 16-18 years old age group because we get told year after year that the next batch is the best yet and then the likes of Plummer go down to Torquay and can't get close to a first team start in two months. Currently, Wilson and Ribiero seem to have made some sort of step up and Artus has taken three years longer than he should have despite first team players some of us have spoken to thinking he was ready at least two years ago. When was the last time, or any time for that matter, that Bristol City's Academy has produced a decent Goalkeeper? You can knock Ashtonyate all you like but he is not a million miles out and our Academy simply has to perform better.

If Rob has gone then IMO it is purely down to a complete lack of 1st team opportunities.

GJ refuses to give youth a chance and that will eventually spell the end of our academy.

An example of the Bristol City Youth Academy in action:

One of my mates sons (he is BCFC through & through) has a 2 year contract at Southampton and plays for their Under 16s (he is their regular captain).

When he left Bristol City Supporters Club Under 11s (no under 12s team) he had quite a few offers from professional clubs, the Gas offered him the world......Bristol City offered him a trial.

Says it all really.

BCAGFC

If Rob has gone then IMO it is purely down to a complete lack of 1st team opportunities.

GJ refuses to give youth a chance and that will eventually spell the end of our academy.

An example of the Bristol City Youth Academy in action:

One of my mates sons (he is BCFC through & through) has a 2 year contract at Southampton and plays for their Under 16s (he is their regular captain).

When he left Bristol City Supporters Club Under 11s (no under 12s team) he had quite a few offers from professional clubs, the Gas offered him the world......Bristol City offered him a trial.

Says it all really.

BCAGFC

If he wasn't on the BCFC radar then how could he have expected any more than a trial? You don't chuck a two year contract at a young player on the basis that someone says he is good. Offering him "the world" is totally pointless because he would remember that at 18 if the club said "thanks but no thanks mate". The two major problems with our Youth system are turning the boys into men during the 16-18 age group and the reluctance of the first team manager to play anyone under the age of 22.

The other thing that I am not sure about, either, is the growth of Junior Academies up and down the country starting at Under 6's which lead to boys not being allowed to play with their local team (i.e. mates) when they reach the grand old age of NINE. No young footballer really needs to be at a professional club before the age of eleven in my view. And when you see some of these lads bombed out at the age of nine or ten because a better lad has come along it ain't always a pretty site!!

Archived