IGNORED

Rob Stambolziev To Greece.

Lee F

Sorry all, it appears the info I was given looks like being correct then. :innocent06:

I am not happy he is off though any more than anyone else.

Thanks to those who vouched for my validity. (Woodsy, Dan, etc)

I would not post rumours that I feel were complete horses**t or unfounded speculation. :disapointed2se:

Having said that it aint confirmed yet :tumbleweed:

According to this, Stambolziev was on trial with Panathinikos....back in December 2008!

http://www.greeksoccer.com/forums/index.ph...4206&st=980

Yeah its all over the Pana papers about Stambolziev and he trailing with Pana, hes been playin with Bristol Citys Reserves don't if he is any good..

All a bit odd - if they had him on trial back in Dec 2008 why didnt they sign him during the transfer window? Maybe they were waiting for his contract at BCFC to expire to get him on the cheap

Is it too late to get him back?

Seems like a great fella, unlike some of the potential knobends that you can pick up in the transfer market.

Well, if Rob isn't good enough for the Mighty Bristol City, then onwards and upwards, eh? yes!

Winker - 'your talking utter rubbish he only just signed a pro deal and rated highly at the club.' :tumbleweed:

Westonred - 'He's actually over in Greece visiting family his heart is with BCFC he loves the club' :tumbleweed:

Street Red - ' I really cant see anything in facebook to suggest hes gone!! To behonest he aint going nowhere...We will see rob next season for sure.' :tumbleweed:

Sorry boys! YOU WERE ALL WRONG! SEEMS I DO NOT SPOUT CRAP RUMOURS AFTERALL !!!! :innocent06::whistle2:

Apologies will only be accepted in cider ! :drunk2:

Winker - 'your talking utter rubbish he only just signed a pro deal and rated highly at the club.' :tumbleweed:

Westonred - 'He's actually over in Greece visiting family his heart is with BCFC he loves the club' :tumbleweed:

Street Red - ' I really cant see anything in facebook to suggest hes gone!! To behonest he aint going nowhere...We will see rob next season for sure.' :tumbleweed:

Sorry boys! YOU WERE ALL WRONG! SEEMS I DO NOT SPOUT CRAP RUMOURS AFTERALL !!!! :innocent06::whistle2:

Apologies will only be accepted in cider ! :drunk2:

I apologise he obviously doesnt love the club as much as he fooled us all into believing and his agent is trying to find him a club either over there or back in Austrailia, The ciders on me ...

Or perhaps Rob can buy them when he gets all this money he thinks he's worth :tumbleweed:

Sorry all, it appears the info I was given looks like being correct then. :innocent06:

I am not happy he is off though any more than anyone else.

Thanks to those who vouched for my validity. (Woodsy, Dan, etc)

I would not post rumours that I feel were complete horses**t or unfounded speculation. :disapointed2se:

Having said that it aint confirmed yet :tumbleweed:

No problem mate - but can you start a real juicy player in thread next time please!

Sod it, make one up even - whilst everyone thinks you're some kind of Sage!!

No problem mate - but can you start a real juicy player in thread next time please!

Sod it, make one up even - whilst everyone thinks you're some kind of Sage!!

Hahaha, well I did get told .........second thoughts, think I will double check as it is barely believable! Great if true, but ........surely not!

I said in earlier post it would have to be Panathinaikos or Olympicos, Nice weather, slow easy pace of football, a bit more money maybe..

My only concern is both these teams are dripping with young players, Panathinkikos has 5hit loads of players Robs age, is he any better? I'm not sure. Has he actually signed for them? I don't think so.

I think this would be a bad move for him personally, I would have thought ambition to play in England would be the drive behind most young players desires, but clearly taking it easy and playing with a load of 35+ yrs old players in their twilight years looking to see out the footy days in the warm amature leagues of Greece must be good for kids too!

I thhink this is APPALLING! Where is his English spirit :englandsmile4wf:

i watched this former GENT in a reserve match numerous times and I have to say he did look like a new BAMBER if i do say so myself - maybe not in football style but in that he could become a great servant to this big big club. so wghat is panathaniakos have champs league footy probably?! it will hinder his development, just ask dele. :ranting::drunk2: :drunk2:

from that video we have learnt he is from a farm in the outskirts of australia :farmer: :farmer: so probably not the brightest cookie in the cookie shop

:no: :no: . but while saying this, i would have been happy if GARY had just offered him a few K a week so he could support his young family and stay in bristol :rain: with the rest of the lads. i no some of you may laugh at me but on FOOTBALL MANAGER 09 :igiveup: :igiveup: i had him learning from dele of course and it turned out that he became a top top player :winner_third_h4h: . as a matter of fact i did get relegated and sacked so i made a new manager and took over in league1 and due to brentford coming in with a big enuough offer of 60k i had to accept :dunno: i think he is now plyign his trade in the league 2 with brentford but really this sort of potential should not be allowed to leave. maybe GARY should have taken a leaf out of my tree :redcard: :redcard: as i am a top manager starting off in the game but one thing that did work was DELE training him.

anyway...i would have expect keith millen to step in, but what is there to say :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Sorry for the long post, it took me a good hour to decide what i wantred to say on the matter so close to my heart.

HANG ON ! :-what English Spirit ?

He's Australian born with Greek and Macedonian background. It may well be that at home he does not speak English, hence his slight hesitation when speaking. There's a lot like him in this country.

And what's this about "he is from a farm on the outskirts of Australia probably not the brightest cookie in the cookie shop "?

Why should a boy brought up on a farm at Whittlesea (about 40 Kms North of Melbourne- know it well) not be as bright as anyone else ?

I do suspect that he has an agent in the background, obviously chasing the maximum quid for his client- and himself- who believes that Greece is the place for young Rob at this stage of his career, and is not too concerned about the undoubted debt that Stambolziev owes CITY who nutured and developed him.

Rob himself, with family in Greece, probably would be easily persuaded that he would feel more comfortable there.

But it's all most regrettable. Let's hope that CITY can come up with tangible persuasion to induce him to stay.

HANG ON ! :-what English Spirit ?

Why should a boy brought up on a farm at Whittlesea (about 40 Kms North of Melbourne- know it well) not be as bright as anyone else ?

I've been to Whittlesea :noexpression: And Melbourne, any place that comes up with a road system where you have to be in the left hand lane to turn right must be a litre short of a full tank!!!

Frankly, if he's good enough, I cannot understand why we can't offer him a non-standard contract.

Maybe he's not good enough then?

Maybe he's no better than Marlon Jackson, who has scored twice as many goals for the Academy team this season and, as far as I know, has happily signed his contract. Why should Rob get a better contract offer than Marlon?

Maybe he's not good enough then?

Maybe he's no better than Marlon Jackson, who has scored twice as many goals for the Academy team this season and, as far as I know, has happily signed his contract. Why should Rob get a better contract offer than Marlon?

he shouldn't but it does beg the question should we have 2 levels of 1st year contracts i.e:

a = players like rob & marlon who are odds on to make it - (probably closer to the xmas deal gj was on about)

b = players who could given progression

he shouldn't but it does beg the question should we have 2 levels of 1st year contracts i.e:

a = players like rob & marlon who are odds on to make it - (probably closer to the xmas deal gj was on about)

b = players who could given progression

I'm pretty sure Gary said that Rob's contract would have been reviewed at Xmas. Therefore I guess all 1st year contracts are subject to review and upped if the player has progressed well.

Becoming a professional footballer is hard work and the contracts should reflect that. Simply being awarded a contract should not mean a player has made it. There is much more to be done beyond that, and if a player doesn't recognise that he is probably destined for a different career.

I'm pretty sure Gary said that Rob's contract would have been reviewed at Xmas. Therefore I guess all 1st year contracts are subject to review and upped if the player has progressed well.

Becoming a professional footballer is hard work and the contracts should reflect that. Simply being awarded a contract should not mean a player has made it. There is much more to be done beyond that, and if a player doesn't recognise that he is probably destined for a different career.

you're just repeating what gj said yesterday - which i understand fully but that makes the assumption that all youngsters are worth the same!!

This is clearly not the case ala the de silva's - although not the most ethical piece of business what a coup for man u

before you state the obvious again I am aware that these are the cream but there is surely a sliding scale with them at the top and some muppet who won't make it at the bottom

you're just repeating what gj said yesterday - which i understand fully but that makes the assumption that all youngsters are worth the same!!

This is clearly not the case ala the de silva's - although not the most ethical piece of business what a coup for man u

before you state the obvious again I am aware that these are the cream but there is surely a sliding scale with them at the top and some muppet who won't make it at the bottom

You seem to be taking an unnecessarily condescending tone with me. I'll assume you didn't intend to and ignore it.

Neither of us knows the details of the contracts given to these lads. They might be very different from each other as you seem to be advocating, or they might be very similar. I'd wager that it's the latter because none of these players has proved anything yet. They will be rewarded with better contracts when they earn them.

It's impossible to say for sure which young players will and won't make it. Obviously it's possible to see those that definitely won't, and they don't get contracts at all, but who can say who definitely will? Most people would have given Marvin Brown a decent contract given his potential but where is he now? Slightly earlier than that we had Spencer, Odejayi and Meechan all coming through. Meechan looked the most promising as a young player, yet he's the only one of the three no longer playing in the football league.

I suspect that the basic wage would be the same for all of them, but their will likely be bonuses, as their are with all player contracts.

Say, for example, Stambolziev makes the first team squad, then I would guess he'd get a healthy bonus for that. If he then gets pitch time, I would imagine he'd get a bigger bonus again. That way, those players who make an impression at first team level would get rewarded more handsomely than a player who is a good way off.

It's a fine balance between reward and incentive, which is hard to get right, and relies to a degree on the player himself recognising what's best for him in the long term rather than just taking the biggest salary on offer right at this moment, which might not necessarily be the best career move.

Guest RobbieTurner
I suspect that the basic wage would be the same for all of them, but their will likely be bonuses, as their are with all player contracts.

Say, for example, Stambolziev makes the first team squad, then I would guess he'd get a healthy bonus for that. If he then gets pitch time, I would imagine he'd get a bigger bonus again. That way, those players who make an impression at first team level would get rewarded more handsomely than a player who is a good way off.

It's a fine balance between reward and incentive, which is hard to get right, and relies to a degree on the player himself recognising what's best for him in the long term rather than just taking the biggest salary on offer right at this moment, which might not necessarily be the best career move.

The figure quoted that I heard was a basic of £500 a week. He seems to think he can get a basic of around £1500 in Greece.

The figure quoted that I heard was a basic of £500 a week. He seems to think he can get a basic of around £1500 in Greece.

At his age, he should be looking for the best opportunity, not just the biggest pay packet.

I'm not saying staying with us is the best opportunity, necessarily. Merely that his career should be his main focus at this point and should be the biggest decider in what he decides to do.

Guest RobbieTurner
At his age, he should be looking for the best opportunity, not just the biggest pay packet.

I'm not saying staying with us is the best opportunity, necessarily. Merely that his career should be his main focus at this point and should be the biggest decider in what he decides to do.

I totally agree Edson. But when you are a teenager, headstrong and with advisors and family telling you what they think is best, its not easy for the lad is it ?

I totally agree Edson. But when you are a teenager, headstrong and with advisors and family telling you what they think is best, its not easy for the lad is it ?

Not at all. I can quite see how an extra grand a week now might seem like the obvious choice to a lad of his age.

Whatever he ends up doing, I hope it's the right decision for him in the long term.

I am around the same age as this guy I love my job and I like the people but if someone offered to give me a lot more money I would not hang around. Who would honestly?

ah yes. but a club in england who are one promotion away from the premier league or greece??!

Not at all. I can quite see how an extra grand a week now might seem like the obvious choice to a lad of his age.

Whatever he ends up doing, I hope it's the right decision for him in the long term.

Agreed. Also though, when your young and need to "break in" you need to get first team football early or end up like Skuse and others with Division 2 football

At the end of the day the kid has let Bristol City and all us supporters down badly.. Some on here might stick up for him and say "get the money while you can" but I for one think that if he cant live on £500 a week he ought start living in the real world. He obviously thinks he is far better than the rest of the academy players how must they feel about him now ?

I hope he remembers that Bristol City have got him where he is today and he has shafted us.

If money is more important to him than the badge on his shirt or all of his friends at the club he is leaving behind then we don't want a person like that at the club..

At the end of the day the kid has let Bristol City and all us supporters down badly.. Some on here might stick up for him and say "get the money while you can" but I for one think that if he cant live on £500 a week he ought start living in the real world. He obviously thinks he is far better than the rest of the academy players how must they feel about him now ?

I hope he remembers that Bristol City have got him where he is today and he has shafted us.

If money is more important to him than the badge on his shirt or all of his friends at the club he is leaving behind then we don't want a person like that at the club..

It's a bit harsh to say he's let us down - altough i 100% agree that his career moves should not be based on money the sad fact of life is that most career moves are down to money as it is the biggest motivator. Although this shouldn't be the case all employers have to pay the market rate to get good people. So my initial point is that it's very difficult to lump everybody and their circumstances into one band. BUT if our one band is competitive in the market then fair play to gj and good luck to rob

It's a bit harsh to say he's let us down - altough i 100% agree that his career moves should not be based on money the sad fact of life is that most career moves are down to money as it is the biggest motivator. Although this shouldn't be the case all employers have to pay the market rate to get good people. So my initial point is that it's very difficult to lump everybody and their circumstances into one band. BUT if our one band is competitive in the market then fair play to gj and good luck to rob

I dunno, we invested a 5h1tload of time and money on him, giving him a chance to become a pro football player and a contract to play in one of the best leagues in the World, and he turned his back on us.. well that speaks volumes about the player imo.

I wish him well in the amateur Greek league, maybe thats more his style, I guess it is.

Archived