IGNORED

Leroy Lita

johnboy

Well if all everyone wants is players who have limited talent can run around all day and defend from the front then I don't want to hear any moans about the long ball rubbish football that we have witnessed over the past season continuing into this one, because we are frightened of bringing some exciting talent with an ego here. Stick a couple of 7ft basketball players up front if we want this.

Yes Leroy Lita is very much the person people say he is off the pitch, but he's easily good enough for the championship and would be a shame not to try and get him on board.

It appears Gary Johnson knows one type of player very well and it is a very safe option, I don't believe Gary knows what to do with creative players unless they can run a marathon, but they cost about £80 million. Having someone here who can work hard and runs 10 miles in a game seems to be the only player we ever look at, fine if you plan on having a cross country team but I 'm afraid we need a little bit more than this.

Sticking them out wide and playing runners in the middle seems to be his tactic, we won't lose too many but we are not likely to get very far either, last season showed us that our style was very much compromised.

We need a change of personnel and that does mean some creatitivity in midfield, if we don't, get your neck muscles toned this summer because we will be seeing a lot more of the ball in the air. Having someone like Lita on board who does have a desire to win and is a selfish player is very much a different kind of problem to manage, but at least it will give opposition defenders a bit more to think about instead of just thinking If I stand off and wait I can head it away.

If your argument is to stand up you will need to explain why we tried to sign Lita before.

If Lita is in talks with Bristol City then if anyone will talk Leroy into signing Roger Barton is the man to do it. Leroy has alott of time & respect for RB as it was RB who got his football career off the ground after being rejected by Chelsea.

If your argument is to stand up you will need to explain why we tried to sign Lita before.

We tried to sign him on loan but he didn't come for whatever reason. I'm not in the know but I do know from the players that have come in the past and what he has openly said, the type of player he looks at.

There can be many reasons why Lita never arrived, we may have enquired but essentially he or Gary Johnson decided that Bristol City was not for him. Was it Steve Lansdown checking on his availability anyway?

Did he pass the interview test, we hear it's a tough process?

Did Lita like the setup?

Did Johnson walk away from a deal because he never believed Lita would tow the line after speaking to him?

Did Lita consider it a backward step for his career and took the enquiry no further?

The fact is we didn't sign him, so are we to blame Lita or Johnson for it? Johnsons record for signing exciting strikers stands at this moment in time at 1, Nicky Maynard, and he paid a lot of money for him, too much in some people opinion, we shall see.

His record of signing strikers is quite frankly awful, Stern John, Bas Savage, Andy Smith, Phil Jevons, Lee Trundle, Peter Styvar and it would look a darn site worse if he had landed others like carthorse Grant Holt and Misfit Mifsud.

This is all my opinion of course, but even the most hardened fan of his must surely look at what he has brought in and have some doubts about the players he likes. I would go as far to say he wouldn't know what a decent striker looked like if it landed on his doorstep. And I believe his problem is because it doesn't fit in with his philosophy of workrate, tracking back and defending from the front, that is why even if we had someone like Lita here, (without Johnson changing his ways by introducing the creative players, with perhaps, a chip on their shoulder and don't have it in them to run 10 miles a game) we will never get a 20 goal a season striker. It will be the same old same old.

We tried to sign him on loan but he didn't come for whatever reason. I'm not in the know but I do know from the players that have come in the past and what he has openly said, the type of player he looks at.

There can be many reasons why Lita never arrived, we may have enquired but essentially he or Gary Johnson decided that Bristol City was not for him. Was it Steve Lansdown checking on his availability anyway?

Did he pass the interview test, we hear it's a tough process?

Did Lita like the setup?

Did Johnson walk away from a deal because he never believed Lita would tow the line after speaking to him?

Did Lita consider it a backward step for his career and took the enquiry no further?

Steve did indeed approach Reading, though not behind Gary's back of course. As for the reason we didn't get him, none of the above. Steve Coppell didn't want him in Bristol because of his off-pitch track record. He was quite happy to let him go to Charlton instead.

Steve did indeed approach Reading, though not behind Gary's back of course. As for the reason we didn't get him, none of the above. Steve Coppell didn't want him in Bristol because of his off-pitch track record. He was quite happy to let him go to Charlton instead.

I've no idea if that is true or not, as I haven't seen any article from Reading or City to back that up.

Like him or loathe him, as said in the other thread, he was the last 20plus goalscorer at this club; in fact 29 in 04/05; wouldnt write it off completly i.m.h.o but highly unlikely he would come back as he`s prob got his sights on Real Madrid :noexpression:

Like him or loathe him, as said in the other thread, he was the last 20plus goalscorer at this club; in fact 29 in 04/05; wouldnt write it off completly i.m.h.o but highly unlikely he would come back as he`s prob got his sights on Real Madrid :noexpression:

29 League 6 Cup goals = 35 goals in the 04/05 season

Let's be clear, Steve made one vague phone call 18 months ago when it looked like Lita would be allowed to go on loan to see if it was even possible and Coppell vetoed him going anywhere near Bristol. Nobody spoke to the player or his agent and GJ hasn't talked to him. There aren't any ongoing talks either.

Lita doesn't want to come here, GJ won't want him once he meets him. He's an egotistical ###### and he doesn't have the correct mentality on the pitch that GJ would be after.

Let's be clear, Steve made one vague phone call 18 months ago when it looked like Lita would be allowed to go on loan to see if it was even possible and Coppell vetoed him going anywhere near Bristol. Nobody spoke to the player or his agent and GJ hasn't talked to him. There aren't any ongoing talks either.

Lita doesn't want to come here, GJ won't want him once he meets him. He's an egotistical ###### and he doesn't have the correct mentality on the pitch that GJ would be after.

Hi Nibor.

So you're saying that 'RobbieTurner' is incorrect in his suggestion of ongoing talks? Are you confident of this?

What!!!

He's a goalscorer, what the hell has anything else got to do with it. The correct mentality on the pitch that has seen such greats as Peter Styvar, Lee Trundle, Andy Smith, Bas Savage, Stern John who have all come here and started whacking the goals in I suppose you mean, perhaps it's not about mentality when it comes to strikers, maybe it's more to do with ability.

I dare say he wants to come back anyway, but if your telling me Gary Johnson would rather have an Andy Smith playing in the championship rather than a Leroy Lita then look out league 1 we're coming home.

There is a danger of being too simplistic about the 'Lita situation'. Yes, he is a talented footballer and it would be a fool who wrote him off. However, he comes with a dubious cloud of alledged and reported bad behaviour/reputation/ego problems, and would no doubt be considered by many to be a potentially disruptive presence at the club.

If it was conceivable that he would return to AG then in footballing terms it would be a 'no brainer' providing terms could be agreed.

The reality is that many other issues would be factored into the equation.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if we saw Leroy in a City shirt again. I would however not be disappointed.

What!!!

He's a goalscorer, what the hell has anything else got to do with it. The correct mentality on the pitch that has seen such greats as Peter Styvar, Lee Trundle, Andy Smith, Bas Savage, Stern John who have all come here and started whacking the goals in I suppose you mean, perhaps it's not about mentality when it comes to strikers, maybe it's more to do with ability.

I dare say he wants to come back anyway, but if your telling me Gary Johnson would rather have an Andy Smith playing in the championship rather than a Leroy Lita then look out league 1 we're coming home.

What are you on about screech? What the hell has Styvar etc got to do with anything?

Lita had all the raw ability to be a top class Premier League player, we all saw that when he was here.

He is a failure because he has not and will not come anywhere near to realising that potential.

It is more important to him to be the big I am, driving around in a hummer, nailing every naive bit of teenage skirt that is dumb enough to be impressed by his bling and burning £50 notes in the face of bar staff.

If he came here he would think he would not put the work in and be massively disruptive, his head would be the first to go down when things got tough and he would be out getting slaughtered and into scrapes on the waterfront every weekend.

It doesn't matter how much talent you've got if you lack the mentality to apply it and Lita clearly does.

He's also quite overrated talent wise. His touch is s**t, and he scores a very low proportion of the chances he gets.

We've got Maynard who will go further in the game, we don't need Lita and we certainly don't need the attitude that complete c**k gobbler would bring with him.

29 League 6 Cup goals = 35 goals in the 04/05 season

don't know where you got that evidence from judge, but our own off site says 24 league + 5 cup goals = 29 :mafia:

What are you on about screech? What the hell has Styvar etc got to do with anything?

Well he's this mythical Johnson type player we keep hearing about and where did it get us? A nice lad in the changing rooms, brilliant, done F.all on the pitch though.

Lita had all the raw ability to be a top class Premier League player, we all saw that when he was here.

He is a failure because he has not and will not come anywhere near to realising that potential.

Failure, not at all, he started off in league 1 and he is now sought after by the likes of Wolves and is being monitored by most of the top clubs in this division, how can he be a failure. Potentially Marvin Brown was going to play at the highest level, doesn't always go that way.

It is more important to him to be the big I am, driving around in a hummer, nailing every naive bit of teenage skirt that is dumb enough to be impressed by his bling and burning £50 notes in the face of bar staff.

Again, what on earth has this got to do with on the pitch, George Best got hammered most nights, nailed fashion models, miss worlds and did all his money. On the pitch is where it counts, always has been.

If he came here he would think he would not put the work in and be massively disruptive, his head would be the first to go down when things got tough and he would be out getting slaughtered and into scrapes on the waterfront every weekend.

That's never been proven anywhere, he was top scorer at Norwich in a relegated side.

It doesn't matter how much talent you've got if you lack the mentality to apply it and Lita clearly does.

He's also quite overrated talent wise. His touch is s**t, and he scores a very low proportion of the chances he gets.

Well, I remember a player who could create goals for himself out of nothing, he was certainly very dangerous in and around the box.

We've got Maynard who will go further in the game, we don't need Lita and we certainly don't need the attitude that complete c**k gobbler :winner_third_h4h: would bring with him.

It sounds like you are describing Colin Cramb rather than Leroy Lita. He will go to a top 6 club I have no doubts. Why should we miss out just because he drills gullible teenagers in his spare time?

We've got Maynard who will go further in the game, we don't need Lita and we certainly don't need the attitude that complete c**k gobbler would bring with him.

I could not have put that better myself. Yeah it was good when he was here BUT even better when he departed.

I am not bothered if he joins or not. If he does though he better stay the line. He is NOT bigger than this club this club is bigger & BETTER than him.

Guest RobbieTurner
wtf is it with Leroy and this forum? How many times does it need to be said?

HE DOESNT WANT TO JOIN BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB

That was metioned before and I also believed it. However, a friend of mine watched the England U21 semi on Fri with someone very close to the decision makers at City and the text I got said that Lita IS in talks with City and unfortunately the same text said that the Martin deal at this stage is 'unlikely'.

Negotiations are on going and nothing is for sure, one thing is for sure though, he is talking to us, believe it or not I'm not really fussed to be honest.

That was metioned before and I also believed it. However, a friend of mine watched the England U21 semi on Fri with someone very close to the decision makers at City and the text I got said that Lita IS in talks with City and unfortunately the same text said that the Martin deal at this stage is 'unlikely'.

Negotiations are on going and nothing is for sure, one thing is for sure though, he is talking to us, believe it or not I'm not really fussed to be honest.

As a respected poster (you, not me :innocent06:) I would not doubt your word. What do I make though of another respected one (Uncle Rog) saying the Martin deal was a certainty?

It sounds like you are describing Colin Cramb rather than Leroy Lita. He will go to a top 6 club I have no doubts. Why should we miss out just because he drills gullible teenagers in his spare time?

Comparing Lita to George Best? Haha that's a good one. I guess it would be ok if he did coke too cos Maradona did? Point is - both of those players were excellent footballers who put everything in on the pitch and wanted to win. Lita is average, lazy and doesn't much care as long as he gets paid.

We won't be missing out screech because he is an over rated has been. His hunger for the game vanished when he got his phat Reading contract and he thought he'd arrived. He will be playing for a mediocre Championship club next season at best and he will end up injured or dropped and in trouble off the pitch again and costing that club ten grand a week.

It's a pity because the boy had the raw talent to make it to the top and settled for just being able to show off. He's a waster.

Guest RobbieTurner
Robbie Turner V Badger 8 - Who is right?

Robbie Turner v Uncle Rog (nuts) - Who is right?

Me v Uncle Rog....its not a competition and things can change

Me v Badger - again, I'm not competing, just trying t spread what I was told. Regardless of what happens and what gets said, we are talkingto Lita, thats a fact as far as I am concerned.

I would expect flak if Martin signs, but all I am saying is what i have been told and I will re-itterate....at THIS stage it is unlikely.

I believed Uncle Rog, he's no reason to lie either - He's a legend on here - I cant help getting a text tell me different though.. I have asked about Sinclair as well, but no answer. My gutter is that my mate is off on Hols on Monday for 2 weeks...!!!

Let see what happens, don't want to be greedy but I want Martin, Sinclair and Lita :yes:

• SC&T Board Members
Its 100% true, SL said it all on Radio Bristol at the time.

SL also said this at the Trust's Q&A session in London prior to the away match at Palace in Jan 2008. He volunteered the information, without being asked, that the club had approached Reading about loaning Lita for the remainder of the season, but that at that time Reading were still hoping to sell him.

It surprised me that SL - and you have to therefore presume GJ - would think that Lita would fit into GJ's team ethos, but evidently they did. Whether they still do and whether we are talking to him now, I have no idea. But the fact that we were interested enough to speak to Reading 18 months ago might suggest that we'd still be interested in the player now...

Me v Uncle Rog....its not a competition and things can change

Me v Badger - again, I'm not competing, just trying t spread what I was told. Regardless of what happens and what gets said, we are talkingto Lita, thats a fact as far as I am concerned.

I would expect flak if Martin signs, but all I am saying is what i have been told and I will re-itterate....at THIS stage it is unlikely.

I believed Uncle Rog, he's no reason to lie either - He's a legend on here - I cant help getting a text tell me different though.. I have asked about Sinclair as well, but no answer. My gutter is that my mate is off on Hols on Monday for 2 weeks...!!!

Let see what happens, don't want to be greedy but I want Martin, Sinclair and Lita :yes:

I didn't intend to set up a competition! I believe both of you were right at the time of posting. Goes to show things can change as you say. Different sources, different times.

Guest RobbieTurner
I didn't intend to set up a competition! I believe both of you were right at the time of posting. Goes to show things can change as you say. Different sources, different times.

No I know mate, the thing is some people post crap with no real reason to believe it themselves, other than my mate said so....and maybe the mate says so because he hopes it will happen.

You are 100% right in saying things change with transfers and no doubt they will change again, prompting an avalanche of 'you were rong' postings if it doesn't go the way say me or uncle Rog said...cant win eh... :surrender:

Archived