IGNORED

Stability At Bcfc

keynshamred

No you haven't missed anything. What you have seen on this thread of some users simply not seeing the point being made. Some simply percieve what they want to percieve and others simply twist things to justify critising other posters and by doing so miss the point.

I appreciate there may be some subtlety the rest of us can't see but you seemed to be clear that Steve deserves all the credit. It follows that Gary deserves none. Somehow I doubt Steve would agree but that's another mattter. By common consent our greatest Chairman before Steve was Harry Dolman. Can I take it that therefore Alan Dicks should take no credit for our achievements under Harry? Or indeed Fred Ford, who achieved promotion under Harry and almost did it again the next year? If not, what would the difference be between the two sets of circumstances?

this was post 35

so what you're saying is, you agree that you're a negative bugger? and that you pick up on every fault this club has.

well, see i disagree, you only seem to pick up on GJ's faults..

Sorry, I made typo. It was post 36.

I appreciate there may be some subtlety the rest of us can't see but you seemed to be clear that Steve deserves all the credit. It follows that Gary deserves none. Somehow I doubt Steve would agree but that's another mattter. By common consent our greatest Chairman before Steve was Harry Dolman. Can I take it that therefore Alan Dicks should take no credit for our achievements under Harry? Or indeed Fred Ford, who achieved promotion under Harry and almost did it again the next year? If not, what would the difference be between the two sets of circumstances?

You could look at this way. It was Steve Lansdown who brought Gary Johnson to the club. He was obviously impressed by Johnsons track record and felt he could do a good job for City. Lansdown was right.

Lansdown was looking for someone to overhaul the club from top to bottom. He knew all about the drinking culture, disruptive players and questionable attitudes amongst not just the players but other staff at AG as well. Lansdown would have been looking for a manager with the qualities to turn the club around. Johnson had/has those qualities.

But... just assume that Johnson had been unavailable. Lansdown would then have appointed someone else with the required qualities. No doubt that Gary Johnson wasn't the only candidate on the Lansdown shortlist. How do we know that the other bloke would not have done as good a job as Johnson has?

Managers are replaceable but imo Steve Landown is not and thats my point. Thats not a slight at Gary Johnson as you seem to think but a statement of fact as I see it.

Why you can't seem to accept that is beyond me.

You could look at this way. It was Steve Lansdown who brought Gary Johnson to the club. He was obviously impressed by Johnsons track record and felt he could do a good job for City. Lansdown was right.

Lansdown was looking for someone to overhaul the club from top to bottom. He knew all about the drinking culture, disruptive players and questionable attitudes amongst not just the players but other staff at AG as well. Lansdown would have been looking for a manager with the qualities to turn the club around. Johnson had/has those qualities.

But... just assume that Johnson had been unavailable. Lansdown would then have appointed someone else with the required qualities. No doubt that Gary Johnson wasn't the only candidate on the Lansdown shortlist. How do we know that the other bloke would not have done as good a job as Johnson has?

Managers are replaceable but imo Steve Landown is not and thats my point. Thats not a slight at Gary Johnson as you seem to think but a statement of fact as I see it.

:fish::disapointed2se:

So you're not, after all, saying Gary deserves none of the credit? That at least is a change from your original position. As to appointing someone else with the required qualitiies, possibly. But they are not as 10 a penny as you seem to think. Otherwise we would have not spent 8 years in the doldrums. I had btw way already agreed that Steve is more important than any Manager or player but perhaps you missed that in the plethora of posts.

So you're not, after all, saying Gary deserves none of the credit? That at least is a change from your original position. As to appointing someone else with the required qualitiies, possibly. But they are not as 10 a penny as you seem to think. Otherwise we would have not spent 8 years in the doldrums. I had btw way already agreed that Steve is more important than any Manager or player but perhaps you missed that in the plethora of posts.

Gary Johnson would not be at City if Lansdown hadn't appointed him and thats why imo Lansdown deserves all the credit. The bottom line is that Johnson is doing the job that he was brought in to do and that has earned him a five year deal. His track record will probably attract bigger clubs and nailing him down to such a lengthy deal was a smart move from Lansdown. If Johnson does get an offer he can't refuse then at least City will get a decent compensation package.

Gary Johnson would not be at City if Lansdown hadn't appointed him and thats why imo Lansdown deserves all the credit. The bottom line is that Johnson is doing the job that he was brought in to do and that has earned him a five year deal. His track record will probably attract bigger clubs and nailing him down to such a lengthy deal was a smart move from Lansdown. If Johnson does get an offer he can't refuse then at least City will get a decent compensation package.

Johnson still gets no credit.

It's tragic isn't it?

So, hypothetically speaking, we have just won the Premier League and Champions League double under Johnson. Does Johnson get any credit from you then?

Who gets all the credit for Alex Ferguson's success at Man Utd?

I'm starting to feel sorry for robbered he's getting himself in a mess now. Eveyone can have there own opinion and he's welcome to his about gary johnson. I think with some people on this forum its like there waiting for failure to say they told you so. Thats just the way some people work.

I'm starting to feel sorry for robbered he's getting himself in a mess now. Eveyone can have there own opinion and he's welcome to his about gary johnson. I think with some people on this forum its like there waiting for failure to say they told you so. Thats just the way some people work.

I wouldn't feel sorry for Robbored, KR. I think he courts the kind of responses he's getting. I mean, why oh why would anybody find it so hard to say ''well done Gary Johnson. You deserve credit for getting City promoted and getting us within a whisker of the Premier League and furthermore providing stability at our club in the space of three years''? I personally find it arrogant and ignorant that Robbored can't do that, just because he want's to be different. Just my opinion like........

I'm starting to feel sorry for robbered he's getting himself in a mess now. Eveyone can have there own opinion and he's welcome to his about gary johnson.

A mess? What mess?

My opinion on this topic has been expressed clearly on this thread and somehow in your eyes its 'a mess'.

Yep! just like everyone else I'm entitled to my opinion on Gary Johnson but nowhere in this thread have I expressed it. What I've expressed in this thread is my opinion on stability and the club.

Not the same thing.

Ok i do appologise for using the word mess. I do sort of understand what your getting at about lansdown and agree he is vital, but just love you to say Johnson is an equally important part of this club. Also the point your making regaring another manager could have done the job he has done to date,as well or better is a fair point,but he's the one SL has chosen so lets get behind him untill he leaves. Can we just agree on this?

Ok i do appologise for using the word mess. I do sort of understand what your getting at about lansdown and agree he is vital, but just love you to say Johnson is an equally important part of this club. Also the point your making regaring another manager could have done the job he has done to date,as well or better is a fair point,but he's the one SL has chosen so lets get behind him untill he leaves. Can we just agree on this?

We can indeed.

ive supported this team for a number of years through thick and thin like alot of people on this forum. Like Alex Ferguson I'm just happy that Johnson is getting the backing from this club of not only a long contract but the transfer funding available to him. Also the long term plan of getting the youth system up together,Which can be be the long term future of this club.Whats the use of change, does the club no favours at all.

I just think managers need time to get the club right. Steve landsdown also deserves alot of credit for backing our manager ,it takes alot for a chairman to be that bold and give a manager a long term contract these days.He knows his football and he's backed johnson 100% in the football side of the club,he should also be respected! I just think we should all get behind this club and trust what gj is doing.

We'll never get anywhere moaning all the time about what Johnsons doing in the transfer market. His record at CITY so far is the best in years.Completely commited and a total passion in what he's trying to achieve.In my opinion i think he's been fantastic for this club. Moaning is the easiest option makes people feel better about there own lifes!! Just enjoy the future of BCFC!!

This is a top post. The Gary Johnson, Steve Lansdowne team is paying dividends and we hope another run at promotion this season. Good luck to Gary on continuing to make us a force to be reckoned with on the field and Steve off of it.

I'm not quite so sure about some of the other babble on this thread, but I hope everyone who has posted has the best interests of our club at heart!

Also the point your making regaring another manager could have done the job he has done to date,as well or better is a fair point, Can we just agree on this?

Well I certainly don't agree it's a fair point.

I can't think of anyone else who would have done the job Gary Johnson has done.

Sometimes there's the perfect match at the right time and that's what BCFC found in GJ.

If in any doubt, cast your mind back to GJ's supposed main rival who was also interviewed for the job at the time.

It's a very, very unpleasant and scary thought.

Well I certainly don't agree it's a fair point.

I can't think of anyone else who would have done the job Gary Johnson has done.

Sometimes there's the perfect match at the right time and that's what BCFC found in GJ.

Apologies for labouring the point but how do you know that another manager wouldn't have done as well as Gary Johnson has? Its speculation one way or the other.

As was mentioned in an earler post there at least 10 successfull managers every season and maybe, just maybe one of them would have done a similar job to Gary Johnson and who nows maybe they would have strengthened significantly last summer instead of this and we could have been loking forward to a season in the Promised Land.

Apologies for labouring the point but how do you know that another manager wouldn't have done as well as Gary Johnson has? Its speculation one way or the other.

As was mentioned in an earler post there at least 10 successfull managers every season and maybe, just maybe one of them would have done a similar job to Gary Johnson and who nows maybe they would have strengthened significantly last summer instead of this and we could have been loking forward to a season in the Promised Land.

Seeing as we have had so many managers that failed with us before Gary, I think we were quite lucky to get him at a time when we were very down. I know you are very much someone who goes on about the fans being here long after players/managers etc but I think on the balance of probabilities, we have a good manager and it is unlikely that any other manager would have us in the Premier League right now.

Have I ever said any of those things?

This is worse than the usual dirge.

I've personally found some of the arguments presented in this thread both interesting and truthful. I didnt accuse you of saying those things, I merely pointed out that this discussion is something different to the "usual dirge" and even though they are few and far between on this forum does contain some well thought out and well written posts.

:)

GRADUALLY and PROFESSIONALLY.

GJ and SL are building this club to have a great future, a future that we will survive in!

If it takes 5 more years to get to the Premier League and we have a safe future, then so be it.

Yes we all want to be in it this year, but then so 23 other teams.

I want my grand kids to be supportting city and their kids too, and if that means I have to be patient in order to wait for the success, then bring it on!

Top half of the championship or struggling at the bottom of league one...........

Well said that man. I recall that Billy Davies let slip when he was at Derby that when they went up, he felt it was 2-3 seasons too early, as he'd not fully developed the squad. And look what happened to them...I don't mind too much if (when) City do go up, we come straight back down - but we should a) put up a fight and b) not mortgage our future, so that at least we make a few bob.

Well said that man. I recall that Billy Davies let slip when he was at Derby that when they went up, he felt it was 2-3 seasons too early, as he'd not fully developed the squad. And look what happened to them...I don't mind too much if (when) City do go up, we come straight back down - but we should a) put up a fight and b) not mortgage our future, so that at least we make a few bob.

Tanzley is right: there has been some sound common sense in evidence on this thread (with notable exceptions) - and here is another example of it. Those with a low tolerance level for delayed gratification should take note. I'd have been as delighted as the next bloke if we'd won the play-off final last year, but whilst we'll never know, I think there would have been a pretty good chance we'd have done a Derby. We were nowhere near ready as a team or as a club.

Good shout, Sam.

Yet again I add a reply after the whole thread has moved on... :tumbleweed:

For what its worth, I think GJ has done a good job since he has been with us and for that deserves much credit....and certainly our continued support.

However, he is not above criticism as some on here seem to think....that is just too blinkered a view to have of our manager. There is no doubt he is taking BCFC in the right direction and I am sure he is paid handsomely for that, but equally he does make mistakes and it is perfect reasonably for people to air their opinions on this forum, down the pub etc etc.

100% support is just what is needed, blind faith is not!

For what its worth, I think GJ has done a good job since he has been with us and for that deserves much credit....and certainly our continued support.

However, he is not above criticism as some on here seem to think....that is just too blinkered a view to have of our manager. There is no doubt he is taking BCFC in the right direction and I am sure he is paid handsomely for that, but equally he does make mistakes and it is perfect reasonably for people to air their opinions on this forum, down the pub etc etc.

100% support is just what is needed, blind faith is not!

Exactly.

Archived