IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga

Zider_I_Up_Landlord

I know he's an international but do we need another defender? I was hoping Wilson and Ribs got their chance this season...

I thought we were a bit short at the back last season at times, so I'm not surprised we're looking at more defenders...

The squad is looking pretty balanced at the moment with GJ adding players in every department. I think if we could get another midfielder and perhaps another striker then we'll be looking considerably stronger than last year.

Here as well: http://www.derby.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=161259

Would be a good addition. Once again another young player which is promising. We were light on cover for LB last season so to have more options there would be excellent.

We're going to have a very young squad this season, but lots of pace throughout, whoever the manager picks.

I think we're going to have a very strong squad, which will only get stronger in years to come.

We're going to have a very young squad this season, but lots of pace throughout, whoever the manager picks.

I think we're going to have a very strong squad, which will only get stronger in years to come.

Gary Johnson... The Arsene Wenger of the Championship!

Is he better than what we've already got, and in what position?

Well he's a full international and still quite young, so I'd say he's better than McCombe, less likely to be injured than Carey and more experienced than Wilson or Riberio.

The worries would be that (a) he and Fontaine would be too young to play together, lacking leadership and organisation and (b) Derby's defence was hardly watertight last season and he seems to be surplus to requirements from it.

Well he's a full international and still quite young, so I'd say he's better than McCombe, less likely to be injured than Carey and more experienced than Wilson or Riberio.

The worries would be that (a) he and Fontaine would be too young to play together, lacking leadership

I thought Fontaine, was showing signs of becoming the new louis carey. Seemed to get stronger, more aggressive in both boxes. We forget he's only 23 years old. Louis Carey did'nt show any leadership qualities at that age!

The worries would be that (a) he and Fontaine would be too young to play together, lacking leadership and organisation and (b) Derby's defence was hardly watertight last season and he seems to be surplus to requirements from it.

I don't think you can call Fontaine inexperienced at Championship level, he has now had 2 very strong seasons at this level.

I know he's an international but do we need another defender? I was hoping Wilson and Ribs got their chance this season...

Yes we do need another defender. We have Orr and Wilson as options at right back, McAllister and Blackman (and Wilson) as options for left-back but in the centre only three players with experience. You need at least 4 centre-backs who you know and trust in my opinion.

Like most of us I have hardly seen either Ribeiro and James Wilson ever play, let alone in the Championship. I wouldn't want us relying on youngsters who we've never seen before - too many are built up by the fans as great and the next big thing but never make it. Hopefully we'll have a squad with enough experience and quality that we will not have to throw them in because we lack options, rather their chance will come because they push their way up the pecking order and into the team. I believe that if they're good enough they will do this.

Yes we do need another defender. We have Orr and Wilson as options at right back, McAllister and Blackman (and Wilson) as options for left-back but in the centre only three players with experience. You need at least 4 centre-backs who you know and trust in my opinion.

Like most of us I have hardly seen either Ribeiro and James Wilson ever play, let alone in the Championship. I wouldn't want us relying on youngsters who we've never seen before - too many are built up by the fans as great and the next big thing but never make it. Hopefully we'll have a squad with enough experience and quality that we will not have to throw them in because we lack options, rather their chance will come because they push their way up the pecking order and into the team. I believe that if they're good enough they will do this.

Spot on, With Carey getting on a bit now he seems to be picking up more injuries and taking longer to recover. Each centre back is likely to pick up a ban along the way as well. If either one of our centre backs are out then that leaves us very thin on the ground. In the last two seasons we have used teh loan system to provide cover which didn't work out to well. So it will be good to get in a permanent CB who can also cover LB to not only act as cover but to push and provide competition to Carey and Fontaine. McCombe is a very good league one defender but I feel he is sometimes out of his depth in this league but feel he is a decent club to have in the bag.

Nyatanga despite his relative young age could be considered as a experienced Championship and international player.

I thought Fontaine, was showing signs of becoming the new louis carey. Seemed to get stronger, more aggressive in both boxes. We forget he's only 23 years old. Louis Carey did'nt show any leadership qualities at that age!

No, he didn't. Which is why he needed to be paired with a more experienced defender for quite a long time.

Fontaine shows a lot of promise but, unless one of them has exceptional leadership skills, pairing a 21 year old with a 23 year old is a recipe for disaster in my book.

That's certainly not to say he won't get there in time, but he's not ready to lead the defence now.

No, he didn't. Which is why he needed to be paired with a more experienced defender for quite a long time.

Fontaine shows a lot of promise but, unless one of them has exceptional leadership skills, pairing a 21 year old with a 23 year old is a recipe for disaster in my book.

That's certainly not to say he won't get there in time, but he's not ready to lead the defence now.

My opinion is that he did show signs. And I'm not saying he's ready to be a leader, but I feel in a couple of seasons he will.

My opinion is that he did show signs. And I'm not saying he's ready to be a leader, but I feel in a couple of seasons he will.

Absolutely. Which means that my concern about partnering him with another young lad this season is perfectly valid.

Archived