IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga

Zider_I_Up_Landlord

In fairness, if you want someone to man to man mark some big lump of a striker, I would take Mccombe any day over any of our other defenders, and if Derby saw him doing that to one of their strikers, that is why they have got that view of him.

Nyatanga I'm not too sure about, he has been around for a while even though he is only young, and has always been pushed out on loan, and never really settled anywhere. Derby have had several managers, and none of them really have much faith in him, and it seems neither do the clubs who have had him on loan had any inclination to turn it permanent. If he does sign though, good luck to him, and I wish him well, obviously.

Si.

or obviously didnt go to watch our 2-1 defeat were he was a sub and was put upfront because he cudnt do ###### all at the back and cost us their second goal. mustve watched the home game were he got his injury and before that he was brilliant.

we should have just gone out and bought barker

Barker looks like he has found his level, and only just (hes had a couple of seasons doing nothing)

Nyatanga has much more potential, 20 caps at 21 shows that, hes always been well rated.

Also great shoutt ho the person earlier who suggested weve signed a better matty hill, cos thats not far off. No reason this guy cant go onto be better than fontaine, and i think fontaine was our best player last season and am a huge fan of his.

Having read the Derby Forum, it sounds like we are getting another fountaine. This lad is 20 years old, he's played a season in the championship at 18, then been thrust in to the Premier League at 19, followed by last season back in the CCC. He's been in two poor Derby sides (relegated Prem and on there way to relegation from CCC until clough arrived). Never played more than 5 concecutive games, has been played at full back, central defence and midfield. How can any young player settle and learn his game with all this going on, not to mention the 3 or 4 managers derby have had. I think we've got a good one here can't wait for him to develope like Fonts. A settle structure around him will be great, and time to learn from Carey and Fonts.

According to the Rams season ticket at work, and the local rag (I work in Derby) this could go either way. Nyatanga is apparently prone to costly mistakes, and seems to divide their fans in terms of opinions. My contact tells me there are hints of an attitude issue there. Hopefully, given a new environment and the guidance of the senior players, he can build on his strengths and reduce his weaknesses. I get the impression he will be providing competition for places in the back four, rather than acting an automatic replacement.

One for the future, I imagine.

Nyatanga is apparently prone to costly mistakes, and seems to divide their fans in terms of opinions.

1990 City needed to strengthen and signed a Welsh international defender...Mark Aizlewood. I remember fans being divided then due to his actions.

According to the Rams season ticket at work, and the local rag (I work in Derby) this could go either way. Nyatanga is apparently prone to costly mistakes, and seems to divide their fans in terms of opinions. My contact tells me there are hints of an attitude issue there. Hopefully, given a new environment and the guidance of the senior players, he can build on his strengths and reduce his weaknesses. I get the impression he will be providing competition for places in the back four, rather than acting an automatic replacement.

Going by his interview on World, I couldn't disagree more! Seems quietly spoken and fairly intelligent lad, certainly didn't come across as a Billy big b***ocks!

Interestingly on that Derby forum they're saying he plays best with an experienced head alongside him (Darren Moore or Albrechtsen in their case). There's few better than Louis to learn from, so I wonder if this is the way forward, perhaps with Fontaine playing more at left-back ?

Going by his interview on World, I couldn't disagree more! Seems quietly spoken and fairly intelligent lad, certainly didn't come across as a Billy big b***ocks!

Sounds incredibly posh too. I never saw Forbes Phillipson-Masters but this guy is perfect for the name, he's more of a Forbes than a Lewin and more of a Phillipson-Masters than a Nyatanga.

Interestingly on that Derby forum they're saying he plays best with an experienced head alongside him (Darren Moore or Albrechtsen in their case). There's few better than Louis to learn from, so I wonder if this is the way forward, perhaps with Fontaine playing more at left-back ?

A friend of mine is a scout (not the green shirted, woggle-wearing variety) and he rates Nyatanga as pacy and mobile, but also says he's better with an organiser alongside him.

A friend of mine is a scout (not the green shirted, woggle-wearing variety) and he rates Nyatanga as pacy and mobile, but also says he's better with an organiser alongside him.

How is he meant to play while holding a filofax?

Alright guys, Wilko the Ram here.

First of all, Lewin has zero attitude problems. He's is renowned amongst Derby fans for his professionalism. Last season when a referee gave a freekick against Lewin, no matter how dubious the decision (and there were several dubious decisions) Lewin would calm himself down and immediately walk away and get into position. The only time he's shown anything other than total professionalism was when he scored against Forest at the City Ground and gave a quick "Sshh" to the Forest fans behind the goal, which was brilliant.

As for Lewin himself, I think he's a top defender. I've seen him play many games and he's always been dominant. Yes he is prone to the occasional error (such as letting the ball bounce before heading it) but I think to be honest that is something that can be weeded out of his game. He needs stability, and given our club's reputation for stability (!) I can only hope he gets the chance to develop at Bristol.

He splits opinions of Derby fans pretty much 50/50, but to be honest I like him (met him before and he was a top lad, quite quiet but a nice lad) and he has the potential to be a top player, no question. He'll also grab the occasional goal from corners.

Best of luck to him, and to you. I've got you down as play-off definites and potential automatics this year, don't let me down.

Wilko

Alright guys, Wilko the Ram here.

First of all, Lewin has zero attitude problems. He's is renowned amongst Derby fans for his professionalism. Last season when a referee gave a freekick against Lewin, no matter how dubious the decision (and there were several dubious decisions) Lewin would calm himself down and immediately walk away and get into position. The only time he's shown anything other than total professionalism was when he scored against Forest at the City Ground and gave a quick "Sshh" to the Forest fans behind the goal, which was brilliant.

As for Lewin himself, I think he's a top defender. I've seen him play many games and he's always been dominant. Yes he is prone to the occasional error (such as letting the ball bounce before heading it) but I think to be honest that is something that can be weeded out of his game. He needs stability, and given our club's reputation for stability (!) I can only hope he gets the chance to develop at Bristol.

He splits opinions of Derby fans pretty much 50/50, but to be honest I like him (met him before and he was a top lad, quite quiet but a nice lad) and he has the potential to be a top player, no question. He'll also grab the occasional goal from corners.

Best of luck to him, and to you. I've got you down as play-off definites and potential automatics this year, don't let me down.

Wilko

Top man Wilko. :thumbsup: I'm impressed but not surprised with the quietly professional way Nigel Clough is going about his job with you. Like Gary Johnson he is a team builder and not a hostage to big names. He will bring you the stability you need (along with what seems to be a good Board) and I expect you to do well this season too. :fingerscrossed:

No chance. Nigel Clough is doing an awful job - Barker's a downgrade on Nyatanga, and apart from him and Lee Croft all their signings have come from non-league or League 2. They've got a combination of knackered old lags on Premier League wages who can't play 90 minutes any more (Savage, Teale), non-league nobodies that Clough has signed because he doesn't know as much about the professional leagues, and a couple of decent but injury prone players who will be off as soon as a decent offer comes in (Commons, Hulse). Derby are a decent bet for relegation this year.

No chance. Nigel Clough is doing an awful job - Barker's a downgrade on Nyatanga, and apart from him and Lee Croft all their signings have come from non-league or League 2. They've got a combination of knackered old lags on Premier League wages who can't play 90 minutes any more (Savage, Teale), non-league nobodies that Clough has signed because he doesn't know as much about the professional leagues, and a couple of decent but injury prone players who will be off as soon as a decent offer comes in (Commons, Hulse). Derby are a decent bet for relegation this year.

Derby will be top 6 in my opinion..

If everyone remembers back to when we had Matty Hill, when he was growing up from youth team to 1st team, he was often slated for costly mistakes, but backed by many other fans by his eagerness and workability. Between the ages of 19-21 it was pretty much evenly divided on opinions within this forum. Lewin seems as though he could be in the same boat according to the derby fans' opinnions.

Just look at what Matty Hill has achieved and maybe people could give Lewin a bit more time to settle in and not expect too much. He seems like a very skillful defender, but he is very young, and the prime age for central defenders is thier late 20's-early 30's.

Fontaine wasn't all that when he came to us a few seasons ago, but is now can be regarded as our best central defender.

Ribiero, Wilson and Lewin are all young defenders and will make mistakes. But they will learn from the likes of Carey, Fontain and McCoombe and no doubt will be pushing for a regular 1st team position in the next season or so.

It's good to see us bringing on youngsters again.

Archived