IGNORED

Supporting Bristol City

Martyn Hocking

On the eve of a new season (I reckon it's my 38th following City) I inevitably find myself picking out favourite City goals and games, hoping the new season will add to that stockpile. So before that bubble of optimism bursts, here are some of the things that fill my personal album of classic City moments. Feel free to add your own:

1. Donowa scoring against the Gas - last minute. How sweet was that?

2. Martin Hirst and Tom Ritchie's goals in the FA cup at Eastville.

3. Bob Taylor one on one against the Swindon keeper at AG just knowing he was going to score

4. Rotherham at home, promotion at last - fantastic performance and atmosphere.

5. Tinnion's goal at Anfield.

6. Gary Shelton last minute winner at Brighton.

7. Jimmy Mann beating Shilton from 40 yards.

8. Beating Chelsea in the cup at AG.

9. Home game V Fulham after we almost went bust.

10. 'Dicks out' chant

On the eve of a new season (I reckon it's my 38th following City) I inevitably find myself picking out favourite City goals and games, hoping the new season will add to that stockpile. So before that bubble of optimism bursts, here are some of the things that fill my personal album of classic City moments. Feel free to add your own:

3. Bob Taylor one on one against the Swindon keeper at AG just knowing he was going to score

10. 'Dicks out' chant

You are almost as old as me!

I would add Lita scoring at Port Vale, they had just equalised in injury time and were just starting the "Who are ya" chants when he scored and the whistle blew.

At that one

YEP that one too

Its a hatrick

Unfortunaely living in the States..But listened on World to the second half after they buggered up the first half broadcast

Yep

Not that many of us there but another Yep

In the Dolman right level with Mann when his leg went back

With my Chelsea supporting 'friends' in the dolman I believe one of the kids got a clipped ear when they made it 2-1

A big gate for that one considering what we were averaging that season

10. 'Dicks out' chant

Who could forget...And wow what a winner he was replaced with

IO City

Donnie Gillies goal at Leeds to end their long unbeaten run and knock them out of the FA cup

PLUS

WHO WILL EVER FORGET (Who was there) Clive Whitehead's first minute winner against Phil Figgins!!!! in the Pompey goal to take us to the promised land..................

Heaven

With the fans packed round the touchline at the end and chants of "blow your ******g whistle" booming round the ground, as time seemed to stand still in the nail biting final minutes ....... magic!

Far less important but another memorable goal was Stevie Neville's goal against Hereford in the Frieght Rover semi final. I still can't believe the fantastic atmosphere created by a relatively small crowd on the night.

45th season for me.

Donnie's goal in at the late arrivals end away at Coventry.

A draw the highlight of 45 years support - sums us up really!

Brilliant roller coaster ride with extraordinary highs and lows .... that the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool supporters have no concept of - real football.

45th season for me.

Donnie's goal in at the late arrivals end away at Coventry.

A draw the highlight of 45 years support - sums us up really!

Brilliant roller coaster ride with extraordinary highs and lows .... that the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool supporters have no concept of - real football.

YES! I was a very late arrival for that one.

After our coach breakdown, I got there for the last 20 mins and got in in time to see Donnie's goal and then those amazing last few minutes of running the clock down with no attempt at scoring, when both teams knew they were safe from relegation.

10. 'Dicks out' chant

All those plus:

Trevor Morgan at Chester to seal our promotion back from the basement.

Roberts at Mansfield, unbelievable finish, both the shot and the game.

The Big Cheese at Highbury, that shut Emperor Rosko, the North Bank, and Malcolm MacDonald up!

Watching City from the Kop at Anfield, Gerry Gow scoring for us, Joey Jones hitting a screamer for them.

Bolton at Wembley, Riley, Neville, Pritchard etc.

On the football special to York and Tom Ritchie netting the winner in front of us in his 2nd spell.

West Brom away in THE promotion season, Gerry Sweeney netted and the City fans sang non stop to roar the team to victory in a desperate backs to the wall performance. :city:

For some reason a 2-1 win at home v Bury in the first season in Division 4 is one of my fav games. Came back from a goal down.

Bury were in top 2 pushing for promotion, we were on the way out of bottom 4. The result was a sign that City were well & truly on the way back.

All those plus:

Roberts at Mansfield, unbelievable finish, both the shot and the game.

The Big Cheese at Highbury, that shut Emperor Rosko, the North Bank, and Malcolm MacDonald up!

Watching City from the Kop at Anfield, Gerry Gow scoring for us, Joey Jones hitting a screamer for them.

Bolton at Wembley, Riley, Neville, Pritchard etc.

On the football special to York and Tom Ritchie netting the winner in front of us in his 2nd spell.

West Brom away in THE promotion season, Gerry Sweeney netted and the City fans sang non stop to roar the team to victory in a desperate backs to the wall performance. :city:

That West Brom night..... It was a re-scheduled evening match from an earlier postponement. Cracking atmosphere and Sweeney scored seconds before half-time. Somehow we kept them out for the next 45 minutes. Unbelievable night!

For some reason a 2-1 win at home v Bury in the first season in Division 4 is one of my fav games. Came back from a goal down.

Bury were in top 2 pushing for promotion, we were on the way out of bottom 4. The result was a sign that City were well & truly on the way back.

Christian Roberts winner in the 5-4 at Mansfield!

Garland, Galley, Gibson, Gow :worship2: Merrick, Skirton, Drysdale, Tainton, Merrick, Ritchie, Fear, etc, etc remember the names and the great E.E days and Leeds, Liverpool, and Dicks and co in the Williams on our promo night; and down to the Ashton 8 :chant6ez: etc but most games blur into the memory banks after 40years of our lot :crying: ;

Makes todays prima donnas look silly :disapointed2se:

Christian Roberts winner in the 5-4 at Mansfield!

That one sticks in my mind as well.

Tom Richie latching on to a brilliant long diagonal pass from Gerry Gow and thumping it into the net at the open end. Can't remember who it was against.

All those plus:

Nog, do you remember the look of pure fear on Terry Cooper's face as he surveyed the 15 ft drop from Chester's main stand after an excitable City fan hoisted him onto his shoulders and walked towards the front row barrier?

That West Brom night..... It was a re-scheduled evening match from an earlier postponement. Cracking atmosphere and Sweeney scored seconds before half-time. Somehow we kept them out for the next 45 minutes. Unbelievable night!

The memorable chanting started after the goal and such was the ecstasy of the City fans continued through half time to reach a crescendo as the second half kicked off:

:chant6ez: BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSTTOLLLL :chant6ez:

It wasn't just a singing group of a couple of hundred, it was everybody - about 4,000 on the night if I remember rightly.

It was rough, threatening, defiant, guttural, determined and constant for the whole of the second half.

It just didn't stop, made all the more resonant by the darkness of our covered terracing against the brightly lit pitch and the fact we were under the cosh for 45 minutes.

We were NOT going to concede - the City fans won the points that night just as surely as Sweeney's goal.

Never been matched in my opinion, I'll never forget it. :city:

Nog, do you remember the look of pure fear on Terry Cooper's face as he surveyed the 15 ft drop from Chester's main stand after an excitable City fan hoisted him onto his shoulders and walked towards the front row barrier?

Not really, I remember TC in the stand with a mass of City fans but I'd charged onto the pitch from the Open End at Sealand Road so was in the seething celebratory melee below.

I'd hitch hiked to the match with a couple of mates. One of them got a lift from a non City fan boring doctor or something, who could only take one, and he looked really smug as they drove off. We didn't know if we'd actually get to the match or not.

Half an hour later the two of us were lucky enough to be picked up on the motorway by a van full of about 12 blokes from Southmead who had their own barrel of cider on board. :w00t:

We got to Chester well in time for a couple of pints before the game whereas our pal got dropped off a long way from the ground and actually missed the first 20 minutes. :winner_third_h4h:

Jumpers for goalpost's, sore knees, toilet rolls, broken bottles, smoke from the stands, piss lakes in the toilets, rain highlighted in the floodlights, hospital broadcast hut, chants of the gas the gas we've gotta get rid of the gas in the gloucester cup, wonderful.

I took a sickie for that one and got a verbal the next day after being spotted on the midweek match...

I nearly got sacked for going to the Millwall and Hull matches, I think they were held in midweek because of the three day week and power strikes of the 70's.

I nearly got sacked for going to the Millwall and Hull matches, I think they were held in midweek because of the three day week and power strikes of the 70's.

I bunked off school for the Millwal game but got away with it. Yes, it was a midweek afternoon game due to the miners' strike and power cuts. I think we won either 5-1 or 5-2, but it's a bit of a blur now!

.. but now for the truly orgasmic.....

Paul Marlsden vs Forest away at the City Ground. League Cup semi final first leg. An absolute peach in front of 10,000 of us, Cloughie et al.

Still got the video from the ATV midweek match (living in Tamworth at the time). All the Brummies couldn't believe our 'awesome support' that night... still in the third division at the time taking on the 'giants' of the First (and they still think they are).

37 years? Part timer. :innocent06:

Not just winning at Arsenal but pissing all over them (it would have been 6 if not for Jimmy Rimmer and the woodwork). I cried salty tears that day. :blush:

And yet I feel nostalgic for a half back line (yes they were still called that then) of Parr, Connor, Low. Football seemed simpler then (in fact it was come to think of it, no arguments about formations as there was only one) and people didn't seem to get so damned angry all the time. Nostalgia's not what it used to be. :disapointed2se:

1/ Christian Roberts vs Hartlepool

2/ Gillies vs Leeds in front of 47000 on a weekday afternoon during the 3 day week

3/ John Galley hatrick to win 5-3 vs Orient after being down 3-1 at home at halftime

4/ 4-4 draw vs Wrexham after being 4-2 down with last minute equalizer by Kevin Mabbutt

5/ Trevor Morgan clinching promotion with the crowd lining the pitch

6/ The East End chant " My old man said be a Rovers fan, I said..."

7/ Wolfie and the Pigs

8/ phenomenal volley by Jacki on the first game of the season - 3-3 can't remember who it was against

9/ Chris Garland's twin strike versus Liverpool in front of 38000 in 1977 ( without that the Coventry game was academic )

10/ Martyn Hirst versus Rovers at Eastville

Not just winning at Arsenal but pissing all over them (it would have been 6 if not for Jimmy Rimmer and the woodwork). I cried salty tears that day. :blush:

And yet I feel nostalgic for a half back line (yes they were still called that then) of Parr, Connor, Low. Football seemed simpler then (in fact it was come to think of it, no arguments about formations as there was only one) and people didn't seem to get so damned angry all the time. Nostalgia's not what it used to be. :disapointed2se:

That was Gordan Parr, Jack Connor, ??? Low?; can remember Terry Bush as well but as it was right back at the start, for me, his position is lost? cant remember, but still have the progs from 67/8/9, they were about a shilling or 1/11p;

Quite a few of us back then used to get the coach from Kingswood/Soundwell etc picking up on route and parking right behind the E.E. Memories :violin:

That was Gordan Parr, Jack Connor, ??? Low?; can remember Terry Bush as well but as it was right back at the start, for me, his position is lost? cant remember, but still have the progs from 67/8/9, they were about a shilling or 1/11p;

Quite a few of us back then used to get the coach from Kingswood/Soundwell etc picking up on route and parking right behind the E.E. Memories :violin:

Gordon Low (a Scot), could play in defence or midfield. Terry Bush played both in defence and centre forward in his day. Built like the proverbial outhouse and a kick like a donkey. Also a lovely guy, very down to earth but then in those days footballers were not so separated from us ordinary folk.

That was Gordan Parr, Jack Connor, ??? Low?; can remember Terry Bush as well but as it was right back at the start, for me, his position is lost?

Gordon Low that was. Started his career at Huddersfield with a certain Dennis Law with whom he was great mates.

(Terry Bush was centre forward.)

Gibbo in goal, Tony Ford and Alec Gibbs ? at full backs ....... and BIG JOHN, scoring for fun .......... even allowed to take wooden rattles into the ground then, they would probably be offensive weapons nowadays .......

50 years for me this season ...... Middlesborough at home will be 50 years to the day my Dad took me to the 'Gate' for the first time.

:englandsmile4wf:

Archived