IGNORED

My Thoughts

Port Said Red

And so it starts - a disappointing draw at home to Peterborough and the world is caving in. People are calling for the Managers head and they are growing in numbers.

Personally I am going to take stock, look at the big picture and dare to say something positive. It's unusual on OTIB, but who cares.

We are 9th in the table, 3pts off 3rd and unbeaten at home. We had a tremendous result before the international break, getting a point at Newcastle with a weakened team.

We made 3 quality signings to this squad less than 6 weeks and 7 matches ago and what with international breaks, illnesses and injuries, I doubt they have had much time to really start gelling.

I definitely feel that GJ and KM are stil working to get the right formula, but the fact they haven't yet and we are 9th not 19th is a cause for optimism rather than disappointment. Yes I would have probably gone with a different formation on Saturday, but I don't have the Managements insight to players fitness etc.

If I had picked the team, I doubt Skuse would have scored, because he would have been in a 3 man defence, and LJ wouldn't have played at all yet turned out to be one of the better performers. (come on even the most blinkered must have seen that?)

It's incredible that people are discussing the Managers position, people outside this club must be laughing their heads off at us. Every team has disappointing results, Cardiff couldn't beat Palace and M'Boro lost at home to Watford, and yet people keep telling me these are two of the best teams in the league. I really thought that people were starting to understand that this is not a league where results follow automatically based on status and position, yet apparently not.

I hope the murmurings against Johnson don't gain ground, because I have a horrible feeling that, if they were successful in getting rid of him, in 3 years time we could be looking back on this period of our history as a golden age to which we want to return.

All those begging for a more exciting brand of football maybe right but I remember some equally dire football prior to GJ with none of the success. I think that there is a more exciting game to be drawn from this squad, but it wont happen overnight.

4 years and 3 weeks on I still think GJ was a great appointment and I think that he deserves more than 12 matches of a season to prove he can get this squad playing the way we all want.

If you think thats crazy, that's your perogative, but I am confident that we are going forward and am still happy.

And so it starts - a disappointing draw at home to Peterborough and the world is caving in. People are calling for the Managers head and they are growing in numbers.

Personally I am going to take stock, look at the big picture and dare to say something positive. It's unusual on OTIB, but who cares.

We are 9th in the table, 3pts off 3rd and unbeaten at home. We had a tremendous result before the international break, getting a point at Newcastle with a weakened team.

We made 3 quality signings to this squad less than 6 weeks and 7 matches ago and what with international breaks, illnesses and injuries, I doubt they have had much time to really start gelling.

I definitely feel that GJ and KM are stil working to get the right formula, but the fact they haven't yet and we are 9th not 19th is a cause for optimism rather than disappointment. Yes I would have probably gone with a different formation on Saturday, but I don't have the Managements insight to players fitness etc.

If I had picked the team, I doubt Skuse would have scored, because he would have been in a 3 man defence, and LJ wouldn't have played at all yet turned out to be one of the better performers. (come on even the most blinkered must have seen that?)

It's incredible that people are discussing the Managers position, people outside this club must be laughing their heads off at us. Every team has disappointing results, Cardiff couldn't beat Palace and M'Boro lost at home to Watford, and yet people keep telling me these are two of the best teams in the league. I really thought that people were starting to understand that this is not a league where results follow automatically based on status and position, yet apparently not.

I hope the murmurings against Johnson don't gain ground, because I have a horrible feeling that, if they were successful in getting rid of him, in 3 years time we could be looking back on this period of our history as a golden age to which we want to return.

All those begging for a more exciting brand of football maybe right but I remember some equally dire football prior to GJ with none of the success. I think that there is a more exciting game to be drawn from this squad, but it wont happen overnight.

4 years and 3 weeks on I still think GJ was a great appointment and I think that he deserves more than 12 matches of a season to prove he can get this squad playing the way we all want.

If you think thats crazy, that's your perogative, but I am confident that we are going forward and am still happy.

I stopped reading this post in the first sentance.

Who is calling for the head of GJ????????? Ive read nearly all the posts on here since Sat and i cant recall anyone calling for the managers head.

People are calling for Johnson to make much better team selections/ formation/tactics not for his head on a platter

Some good points there, very well made. I am of course disappointed with saturdays result, but the bigger picture need to be looked at by some people. I still wish we had Mcindoe though as he would have brought much needed balance to the team. Lets hope these new boys do gel sooner rather than later and lets at least wait till xmas before calling for anyones head. 3 points tomorrow night will turn some grimaces into grins though.

Who is calling for the head of GJ????????? Ive read nearly all the posts on here since Sat and i cant recall anyone calling for the managers head.

People are calling for Johnson to make much better team selections/ formation/tactics not for his head on a platter

So you haven't seen any posts questioning whether "he has gone as far as he can", "not the man to take us forward", etc etc? What does that mean if not getting rid of him?

So you haven't seen any posts questioning whether "he has gone as far as he can", "not the man to take us forward", etc etc? What does that mean if not getting rid of him?

Ok so many people are questioning GJ at this stage, but i would say very very few people would call for his head at this time

Granted this seems to be the first time in Johnsons honeymoon where so many have questioned his weired team selection but thats his fault, people dont question people unless there is very good reason to

Hear hear. Thank god I am not alone. All the negative posts

I find remarkable. Gold fish memories seem to be prevelent

on this forum. We are a club on the up, we have signed better

players, we will be there at the end of the season. Only

two years ago when we got into the championship all the

talk was of consilidation and keeping ourselves out of the

relagation dog fight. We have more than achived that, we

find ourselves on the edge of the play off spots even when half

the squad have been laid low by illness, tell me that would have

happened 2 years ago in a similar set of circumstances. All this

GJ has lost the plot etc is not warranted, he has brought us a long way.

Clearly as shown by Bradley on the radio they do care, they listen

to the radio, they read the forum, how must they feel hearing

an endless torent of negative opinions. Lets just all be patient

or for those that really like to moan become an Ipswich fan.

It's almost as if we've dropped 4 easy points at home due to tactics employed and should be 3rd, 1 point ahead of fourth.

Funny thing perspective.

You have called him a muppet. fact. not to his face obviously.

I'd have felt alot better if it were more wins at home and as good away .........yes we have had some good results,yes we really are not doing bad BUT

Throwing away points is not the way forward....... the squad should feel GUTTED and that is fair enough.

All I can hope is that we really hit form and TOP GEAR when it counts.... don't leave it too late and do the do!

UP THE CITY! .................................As my Dear old 'Nan Bristol' used to say :)

There is nothing wrong with being disappointed and thinking we can do better.

Or saying the same.

Thanks for this. Only 2 weeks ago many people on this forum were making fun of Newcastle fans because on their website, the Toon Army were bemoaning the fact they could only draw at home against a non entity like Bristol City. City have now struggled to a draw at home against "lesser" opposition and as you say the world is is caving in.

OK City are 9th, but just THREE more points and we'd be 3rd. If teams always beat who they should and no one achieved a lucky or plucky draw, football would be a lot less interesting (but it would be easy to win the pools).

Hear hear. Thank god I am not alone. All the negative posts

I find remarkable. Gold fish memories seem to be prevelent

on this forum. We are a club on the up, we have signed better

players, we will be there at the end of the season. Only

two years ago when we got into the championship all the

talk was of consilidation and keeping ourselves out of the

relagation dog fight. We have more than achived that, we

find ourselves on the edge of the play off spots even when half

the squad have been laid low by illness, tell me that would have

happened 2 years ago in a similar set of circumstances. All this

GJ has lost the plot etc is not warranted, he has brought us a long way.

Clearly as shown by Bradley on the radio they do care, they listen

to the radio, they read the forum, how must they feel hearing

an endless torent of negative opinions. Lets just all be patient

or for those that really like to moan become an Ipswich fan.

If you find negative posts remarkable then you're either a new poster, or completely deluded.

This is a fans forum with a diverse set of opinions that change like the weather. You can either like it or lump it, but you'll never get everyone to agree.

And if I was Bradley Orr I wouldn't give a monkeys what people said about me on a fans forum, or radio show and instead use my God given talent that I'm paid thousands of pounds a week for, by my fans to do the business on the pitch and expect the same of my fellow players.

But then I'm not Bradley Orr, or Gary Johnson, the man who is paid to get results. The man who posesses the best City squad since the 1979-80 campaign, but plays four central midfielders every week, and can't even accomodate Paul Hartley, a class act whose two clinical passes downed Middlesbrough. Nor his fellow countryman Dave Clarkson, fit and fresh from a mid-week reserve team hat-trick, but rooted to the bench last Saturday in deference to a jet lagged Costa Rican international.

Gary is the man who has failed to inspire a City away League win in 12 attempts and has dispensed with wingers in favour of a 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, or is it a 4-3-1-2?

There are lots of facts.

There are lots of opinions.

And there will always be jam tomorrow.

It's incredible that people are discussing the Managers position

You've been reading a different forum to me as I've been reading post after post critical of Saturday's selection, the narrow 4-4-2 formation and the lack of entertainment. I don't think I've seen anyone other than the 'usual suspects' taking it that significant step further and calling for his head.

I definitely feel that GJ and KM are stil working to get the right formula. Yes I would have probably gone with a different formation on Saturday, but I don't have the Managements insight to players fitness etc.

I guess by that you too are not a fan of the four central midfielders tripping over each other in the middle of the park? Sugar coated, but the same underlying dissatisfaction with GJ's selection?

Can you honestly see the team playing decent football or more importantly scoring more than one goal in a game with the selections and tactics Johnson is employing.Because if you can you are a better man than me.Also I thought he had pre season to sort the team and tactics out or did they just meet for the first time at kick off on the first day of the season.

Having read loads of threads about the tactics, formation(s) and team selection I don't think that many are calling for GJ to go. Most want a more convincing and entertaining display.

However in reference to your comment pasted above, I suspect that with a very lucrative 5 year deal, it would take a lot more than murmurings to shift Mr Johnson.

Guest bigcheese
OK City are 9th, but just THREE more points and we'd be 3rd. If teams always beat who they should and no one achieved a lucky or plucky draw, football would be a lot less interesting (but it would be easy to win the pools).

Exactly!

We are in the Championship and when you are in the Championship sh1t happens.

We aint Chelsea...hehe... oops :fastasleep:

Green army...

Can you honestly see the team playing decent football or more importantly scoring more than one goal in a game with the selections and tactics Johnson is employing. Because if you can you are a better man than me.

And thats the point that Hornbeamred glosses over (by pointing out some of the dire football prior to Johnson) The point is that Johnson has built a very strong squad, much stronger than previous managers and consequently fans demand a more astute use of said squad.

How many different posters have complained about no width, Sno being wasted/isolated wide right, Hartley being on the bench? and Alvaro starting after 10+hour flight into a different time zone when Clarkson, fresh from a hat trick in the reserves sat on the bench?

Many fans are simply mystified.

Can you honestly see the team playing decent football or more importantly scoring more than one goal in a game with the selections and tactics Johnson is employing.Because if you can you are a better man than me.Also I thought he had pre season to sort the team and tactics out or did they just meet for the first time at kick off on the first day of the season.

Yes. We did against Blackpool, three games ago. I assume this means that hornbeam red is a better man than you.

I really dont think things are that bad at the moment. Our league position could be a whole lot worse than it actually is.

At the end of August, the expectation levels went through the roof due to the signing of Sno and Saborio. To date they havent really done much and are probably still finding their feet.

I am happy to give it until Christmas at least and hopefully by then performances and results will have improved.

I am sure that one wide player would completely change the formation...

Wasn't it Shankly who said " Never underestimate the value of a home point" ?

Shankly also said after Liverpool had lost 2-1 "It wouldn't have been a goal if hadn't crossed the line"

But....just how times last season did City get a point at AG last season? and how many lost points did that add upto?

You could argue that a point at home is of value against superior opposition but is two dropped points against everyone else.

Having read loads of threads about the tactics, formation(s) and team selection I don't think that many are calling for GJ to go. Most want a more convincing and entertaining display.

The problem for me at the moment is that some posters on this list - and some callers to Radio Bristol - always assume that they are speaking for everyone else. They aren't necessarily. I've seen the expression '13,000 fans could see...' to mean that everyone is bound to agree with them, and there is the usual incredulity if anyone posts anything disagreeing with them (as happened to me, when I voiced the opinion that Sno has been poor for us in most games he has played). Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to assume that everyone agrees with them!. And then to take this one step further and have the arrogance to assume that you can tell the manager what he should be going takes my breath away. Again, by all means express an opinion, but don't think that you are in a position to tell the manager how to do his job. Bristol City is not a worker's collective, or an anarcho-syndicalist commune, it is a business, and we are just the paying spectators. It would be very dull if no one expressed an opinion - its one of the things that makes football so enjoyable - but people should realise that are many different opinions out there, and when it comes to it the only one that really counts is the manager's.

I read someone say yesterday that this was the most boring football he'd seen since 1968. He's entitled to that opinion, but mine is very different. I'm enjoying this season, even though we are not yet firing on all four cylinders, and I've been watching City long enough to know that we have no god-given right to success, and that we are competing at almost the highest level we have achieved in the 40 years plus I've been watching. Oh, and I also try to remember that football is a game: you win some and you lose some. That's another thing that makes it enjoyable.

Hornbeamread,

You are not crazy - this forum is, I feel the same as you.

But it gets a bit boring sticking up for the manager, who is doing a brilliant job...

9th in the league and reading this forum, you would have thought we were in plymouths position!

Hornbeamread,

But it gets a bit boring sticking up for the manager, who is doing a brilliant job...

9th in the league and reading this forum, you would have thought we were in plymouths position!

Quite right, mate, well said. I suspect that if you polled city fans as they enter the ground tonight, the majority would agree with you.

Hornbeamread,

Riaz

I respect your views which are nearly always polite and well argued - do you think though that the manager is doing a brilliant job at present?

I honestly think that GJ has it easy compared to his charges - if a player scored 30 goals to help get a team promoted from league 1, and then followed up with 20 the following season but a higher level, then plaudits all round. If the following season that player had been sussed out to a great extent, did ok but scored say 10 goals then people would start to question that player at this level.

If this current season he started the same. despite having better players to help him then I have no doubt that this forum would be questioning the credentials of that player - I see it no different to the manager.

Whether fans like it or not, GJ will be around for a long time as SL thinks the world of him - I happen to think that a 5 year deal was a mistake, but we are where we are. I sincerely hope that our manager sorts things out asap because I sense that fans are becoming more polarised in terms of how they view him, regardless of where we sit in the league, but long live the forum anyway - a previous poster effectively said that only the managers view was relevant. In practical terms he's right of course, but it would be a sad world if fans couldn't let off steam from the safety of a pc !

Riaz

I respect your views which are nearly always polite and well argued - do you think though that the manager is doing a brilliant job at present?

I honestly think that GJ has it easy compared to his charges - if a player scored 30 goals to help get a team promoted from league 1, and then followed up with 20 the following season but a higher level, then plaudits all round. If the following season that player had been sussed out to a great extent, did ok but scored say 10 goals then people would start to question that player at this level.

If this current season he started the same. despite having better players to help him then I have no doubt that this forum would be questioning the credentials of that player - I see it no different to the manager.

Whether fans like it or not, GJ will be around for a long time as SL thinks the world of him - I happen to think that a 5 year deal was a mistake, but we are where we are. I sincerely hope that our manager sorts things out asap because I sense that fans are becoming more polarised in terms of how they view him, regardless of where we sit in the league, but long live the forum anyway - a previous poster effectively said that only the managers view was relevant. In practical terms he's right of course, but it would be a sad world if fans couldn't let off steam from the safety of a pc !

I just think the side has not got the 'winning mentality' to see off games - if we did we'd be in the top 3.

But I'm confident that the 'winning mentality' and the style of football will come... This is a new side with several new players and it takes time.

We have alot of improving to do and yet we are 9th - to me thats positive.

The thing with our fans tho (and football fans in general) is that they want everything NOW.

We now have the players and they expect free-flowing football and success NOW - but it does not work like that and it should be remembered we are Bristol City, not newcastle..

All we need is a little patience

The thing with our fans tho (and football fans in general) is that they want everything NOW.

We now have the players and they expect free-flowing football and success NOW - but it does not work like that and it should be remembered we are Bristol City, not newcastle..

As someone who has been critical of the selections and tactics in recent games I can assure you that I absolutely do not want or expect everything NOW.

I think it's quite reasonable to point out that four central midfielders in a starting XI is wrong and causes us to be unable to use the wide areas at all, and picking a centre forward who had a transatlantic flight and less than 48 hours recovery is also wrong.

I don't expect Barcelona, I expect to see players picked in the right positions and obvious problems addressed. If we'd done that, tried hard and lost I wouldn't be critical.

What is quite irritating on this forum is when people incorrectly assume that constructive criticism of one thing, whether it's a match performance, a selection or something else, means that you think the manager is doing a shit job and should be fired.

As someone who has been critical of the selections and tactics in recent games I can assure you that I absolutely do not want or expect everything NOW.

I think it's quite reasonable to point out that four central midfielders in a starting XI is wrong and causes us to be unable to use the wide areas at all, and picking a centre forward who had a transatlantic flight and less than 48 hours recovery is also wrong.

I don't expect Barcelona, I expect to see players picked in the right positions and obvious problems addressed. If we'd done that, tried hard and lost I wouldn't be critical.

What is quite irritating on this forum is when people incorrectly assume that constructive criticism of one thing, whether it's a match performance, a selection or something else, means that you think the manager is doing a shit job and should be fired.

I was talking in general terms - of course there is constructive criticism on here, you yourself always make a fair point, but there is alot that isnt...

I would agree that I would like us to play with natural wide men.... But I'm looking at the bigger picture... We're 9th and reading this board, you would not think it. On another forum, which is not as bad as this one for negativity, a p'boro fan was amazed at the negativity from our fans on that forum and said he would love to be in 9th place...

I just think the side has not got the 'winning mentality' to see off games - if we did we'd be in the top 3.

But I'm confident that the 'winning mentality' and the style of football will come... This is a new side with several new players and it takes time.

We have alot of improving to do and yet we are 9th - to me thats positive.

All we need is a little patience

I admire your optimism but the facts are that Johnson sets out his side not to lose. He's been like that the whole time he's been at City. Thats largely why City don't score enough goals and consequently get caught out and end up dropping home points. Nothing to do with 'winning mentality'.

I'm certain that Johnson instructs his players to defend leads at AG. Sit back and hope to hold on is hardly a fruitfull approach. Last season proved that with 13 home draws - or if you prefer 26 dropped points. If Johnson instructed his players to press on for the second killer goal then the old maxim 'attack is the best form of defence' comes into play. If the ball is in the opposition half they ain't going to score. One thing that amazes me is that City don't leave anyone up when defending corners so there is no outlet ball. Aganst Blackpool and Posh the opposition were able to lump balls into the City box again and again.

Patience won't change Johnson way of playing the game. History shows that hanging on at AG is a poor tactic but City continue to do it. Pulis is known for his long ball style and Johnson will be known for his cautious and negative style.

Archived