IGNORED

My Thoughts

Port Said Red

I admire your optimism but the facts are that Johnson sets out his side not to lose. He's been like that the whole time he's been at City. Thats largely why City don't score enough goals and consequently get caught out and end up dropping home points. Nothing to do with 'winning mentality'.

I'm certain that Johnson instructs his players to defend leads at AG. Sit back and hope to hold on is hardly a fruitfull approach. Last season proved that with 13 home draws - or if you prefer 26 dropped points. If Johnson instructed his players to press on for the second killer goal then the old maxim 'attack is the best form of defence' comes into play. If the ball is in the opposition half they ain't going to score. One thing that amazes me is that City don't leave anyone up when defending corners so there is no outlet ball. Aganst Blackpool and Posh the opposition were able to lump balls into the City box again and again.

Patience won't change Johnson way of playing the game. History shows that hanging on at AG is a poor tactic but City continue to do it. Pulis is known for his long ball style and Johnson will be known for his cautious and negative style.

Johnson's philosophy is that his teams are 'hard to beat' - and I understand his 'not to lose' attitude, as it has worked in the past. The only reason we are talking about it now is because, we are not seeing teams off. But we have in the past have we not??

I'm sure Johnson alters his tactics to go slightly more defensive, but not as defensive as the players tend to go - I think, at the moment the players get nervous and go deeper...

But when we were top of the league, no one said we were negative and cautious then, did they?

I'm certain that Johnson instructs his players to defend leads at AG. Sit back and hope to hold on is hardly a fruitfull approach. Last season proved that with 13 home draws - or if you prefer 26 dropped points.

26 dropped points?? You forget that in quite a few of those games, rather than sitting back on a lead, we came from behind to equalise. At least two of those games, we came back from 2-0 down to earn a 2-2 draw. But why let facts get in the way of yet another anti-Johnson post?

26 dropped points?? You forget that in quite a few of those games, rather than sitting back on a lead, we came from behind to equalise. At least two of those games, we came back from 2-0 down to earn a 2-2 draw. But why let facts get in the way of yet another anti-Johnson post?

Nothing 'anti Johnson' at all.

Hard fact that City drew 13 times at AG last season. It doesn't say in the league table how you got the point, just that you did. Ask the Toon Army.

Johnson's philosophy is that his teams are 'hard to beat' - and I understand his 'not to lose' attitude, as it has worked in the past. The only reason we are talking about it now is because, we are not seeing teams off. But we have in the past have we not??

I'm sure Johnson alters his tactics to go slightly more defensive, but not as defensive as the players tend to go - I think, at the moment the players get nervous and go deeper...

But when we were top of the league, no one said we were negative and cautious then, did they?

Blimey mate that's ancient history which I think is what its all about - GJ is in credit so far as many fans are concerned because of what happened a couple of years back.

Possibly (I said possibly) equal numbers think he used up all that credit last term,and needs to kick on now, particularly with the level of financial support he gets from the chairman.

From what I can see, apart from the extremists on both sides, I think there's some common ground amongst most fans - a lot of GJ defenders seem to agree that playing people out of position, lacking people who can cross a ball, leaving quality on the bench or playing someone who just got off a transatlantic flight doesn't appear clever - some surmise that illness or injury may be a factor for what appear odd selections, or that the players on the pitch don't follow instructions. I haven't heard GJ say anything of the sort so think the buck stops with him.

We will see - what's for certain is that unlike a lot of managers, he has the time to get it right, and only the most negative fan could see us going down.

I would agree that I would like us to play with natural wide men.... But I'm looking at the bigger picture... We're 9th and reading this board, you would not think it.

We're ninth on the basis of:

Automatic promotion form with a 3-5-2 formation.

Relegation form with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation

Near-relegation form with a narrow 4-4-2 formation.

Some people are looking at the picture even bigger than yours :photo:

Then we started getting illnes and injuries so:

People started coming back from illness and injury and:

Some people see the whole picture.

Blimey mate that's ancient history which I think is what its all about - GJ is in credit so far as many fans are concerned because of what happened a couple of years back.

Possibly (I said possibly) equal numbers think he used up all that credit last term,and needs to kick on now, particularly with the level of financial support he gets from the chairman.

From what I can see, apart from the extremists on both sides, I think there's some common ground amongst most fans - a lot of GJ defenders seem to agree that playing people out of position, lacking people who can cross a ball, leaving quality on the bench or playing someone who just got off a transatlantic flight doesn't appear clever - some surmise that illness or injury may be a factor for what appear odd selections, or that the players on the pitch don't follow instructions. I haven't heard GJ say anything of the sort so think the buck stops with him.

We will see - what's for certain is that unlike a lot of managers, he has the time to get it right, and only the most negative fan could see us going down.

It is ancient history. But you are missing the point. We got there by playing cautious and negative football according to Robbored.

But the top of the league or promotion is what city are working towards now and the point I was making is that the style of football is good, when it works and were winning matches.

Some people see the whole picture.

Good. Then you'll have noticed how in posts in previous weeks I've backed GJ in having his hands tied due to illness and injury. It's just not the case any more. On Saturday he could have set the team up in a number of different shapes with the players in the 18 and decided to select four central midfielders.

judged on this season alone I am quite happy with what Johnson and SL have done. nothing to do with credit of the past. We are 9th unbeaten, at home and have made some pretty special signings and the players feel (Orr & Carey) that we have the best squad they have been part of at Ashton Gate- in the play off places when I wake up tomorrow moring will be icing on a cake that already looks pretty good to me.

Good form & Bad form IMO. But you make a good point. I would like to see us revert back to 3-5-2, because we played some good football with that formation and more importantly we got results!

Reading through it's obvious people care what we watch, we like decent attracking attractive football that entertains. We expect the players to give their all. We don't like the unattractive hoofball or negative tactics. We haven't been used to this over the years unlike some teams.

People are natrually disgruntled. We have reached 9th in the table when we have had a lot of injury and illness worries. Now that we are just about fully fit, people want to kick on and really get going. Play football, and at home at least act like the home team. We can play so much better than we did on Saturday, and we must play better to keep in touch with the teams above us.

None of us know why Saborio played after so much travelling & matches, so that was a surprise after it being said he probably wouldn't feature. Saying that, he didn't look like the most jaded player out there. Many people say they wouldn't have picked the midfield we played, again as frustrating as it is we will never know the reasons why.

From high up in the Dolman I could see big 'holes' where we were bunched up, players were passing balls into huge spaces with no player there to receive it as we had no width. It was sad to see after so many great wingers in the past. We now according to Orr have the best squad since he's been here, yes we may have the best players but not yet the best team.

I keep thinking of my conversation with Tony Adams at Tamworth services regarding Sno. He emphasised we need to play him in his correct position to get the best out of him (this also applies to every player I suppose). I'm just worried that if we fail to get the best out of him someone else will.

I don't think we are too far away from what we all crave. But it seems one step forward followed by two steps back sometimes. I'll be down there tonight though, hoping we will put in a 'forward' performance.

A few comments above haev mentioned that we have a better sqaud than at any time over the near-history of this club.

I think I would certainly agree that we have better players than at any recent period - Hartley, Sno, Maynard... a South American international striker who may be going to the World Cup! But do we have a better squad? Maybe not.

I say this as a GJ fan, and I think that over time he will find the right way to make these player play together. But if a new manager was to come in now I think he would be taking over a rather unbalanced squad. Wide players of a lower standard to the rest of the squad, very little cover for certain positions, and so on. Although a talented group of players, I don't think that it would be seen as a great "squad".

The good news is that I think that this can be easily rectified. It will take signings, but it can be changed. The better news still is that we know Gary was looking for these players, for example Lee Martin. I'm sure he didn't deliberately lose McIndoe with no plans for a replacement. Who knows what was happening behind the scenes?

Overall, on balance... I have faith that the well reasoned criticism the likes of Nibor have voiced is not news to Gary, and that he will be working hard to rectify the problems.

Ben

Ive been critical of our negative tactics lately but would'nt dream of wanting the manager to go.

A lot of us dont understand the 4 right footed central midfielders who are giving us no width and the fact that probably our best midfielder ( who played for Scotland against Holland only a month ago) wasnt picked to start on saturday.

We need width at home, and we need to put the away team under more pressure. Personally i would play Sproule as an out and out winger tonight with instructions to take his full back on at every opportunity.

We have drawn 22 of our last 48 home games :noexpression: .

That shows that if we were a little less negative then perhaps we could turn one point into three,

Heres hoping for a good attacking display in the wet under the lights tonight.

Ashton Gate in those conditions is a great place to be if we go for it.

Good form & Bad form IMO. But you make a good point. I would like to see us revert back to 3-5-2, because we played some good football with that formation and more importantly we got results!

I would like to see that too. I think the problem is that we've had a constant stream of injuries and illnesses in defence so it's been hard to get 3 fit and firing centre backs. We could of course bring back McCombe but I'm not sure that would be universally popular on this forum.

And so it starts - a disappointing draw at home to Peterborough and the world is caving in. People are calling for the Managers head and they are growing in numbers.

Personally I am going to take stock, look at the big picture and dare to say something positive. It's unusual on OTIB, but who cares.

We are 9th in the table, 3pts off 3rd and unbeaten at home. We had a tremendous result before the international break, getting a point at Newcastle with a weakened team.

We made 3 quality signings to this squad less than 6 weeks and 7 matches ago and what with international breaks, illnesses and injuries, I doubt they have had much time to really start gelling.

I definitely feel that GJ and KM are stil working to get the right formula, but the fact they haven't yet and we are 9th not 19th is a cause for optimism rather than disappointment. Yes I would have probably gone with a different formation on Saturday, but I don't have the Managements insight to players fitness etc.

If I had picked the team, I doubt Skuse would have scored, because he would have been in a 3 man defence, and LJ wouldn't have played at all yet turned out to be one of the better performers. (come on even the most blinkered must have seen that?)

It's incredible that people are discussing the Managers position, people outside this club must be laughing their heads off at us. Every team has disappointing results, Cardiff couldn't beat Palace and M'Boro lost at home to Watford, and yet people keep telling me these are two of the best teams in the league. I really thought that people were starting to understand that this is not a league where results follow automatically based on status and position, yet apparently not.

I hope the murmurings against Johnson don't gain ground, because I have a horrible feeling that, if they were successful in getting rid of him, in 3 years time we could be looking back on this period of our history as a golden age to which we want to return.

All those begging for a more exciting brand of football maybe right but I remember some equally dire football prior to GJ with none of the success. I think that there is a more exciting game to be drawn from this squad, but it wont happen overnight.

4 years and 3 weeks on I still think GJ was a great appointment and I think that he deserves more than 12 matches of a season to prove he can get this squad playing the way we all want.

If you think thats crazy, that's your perogative, but I am confident that we are going forward and am still happy.

Absoultely cock on, hornbeamred. I can only but laugh at the negative comments that have appeared from the usual suspects on here. Forget about how far we've come under Johnson, that's done and dusted, let's examine where we're going. Quite simply the squad is there and the performances have been nowhere near as bad as some have made out and overall i am very happy with how things are shaping up. It seems that with, what is essentially a new squad, with so many new additions, that Johnson is still to find what is the optimum line up and coupled with his loyalty to players that have performed in previous games we don't tend to see huge changes in the squad, unless enforced. We must also add the virus scenario into the equation and the inability to find a settled side sooner.

In a nutshell, Gary Johnson certainly has my full support and trust to achieve our ultimate aim, promotion, and any talk of him taking us as far as he can is utter rubbish. I also believe that the football, whilst not fantastic in the last two games and against S****horpe in my opinion, is still pretty decent and the intent is definitely to attack and score goals and not this negative, boring line that some fans have convinced themselves of. I think that these people still have last season and the infinite amount of draws we suffered still in their minds and are perhaps too small minded to see that things are different now and we are certainly not playing for 1-0 wins at home like we certainly were then. Some people are only happy when it rains though............

Absoultely cock on, hornbeamred. I can only but laugh at the negative comments that have appeared from the usual suspects on here. Forget about how far we've come under Johnson, that's done and dusted, let's examine where we're going. Quite simply the squad is there and the performances have been nowhere near as bad as some have made out and overall i am very happy with how things are shaping up. It seems that with, what is essentially a new squad, with so many new additions, that Johnson is still to find what is the optimum line up and coupled with his loyalty to players that have performed in previous games we don't tend to see huge changes in the squad, unless enforced. We must also add the virus scenario into the equation and the inability to find a settled side sooner.

In a nutshell, Gary Johnson certainly has my full support and trust to achieve our ultimate aim, promotion, and any talk of him taking us as far as he can is utter rubbish. I also believe that the football, whilst not fantastic in the last two games and against S****horpe in my opinion, is still pretty decent and the intent is definitely to attack and score goals and not this negative, boring line that some fans have convinced themselves of. I think that these people still have last season and the infinite amount of draws we suffered still in their minds and are perhaps too small minded to see that things are different now and we are certainly not playing for 1-0 wins at home like we certainly were then. Some people are only happy when it rains though............

Dear Redfred

Whatever our differences of opinion I can assure you that despite being unhappy with the style of football and despite not going to the match tonight (the travelling time coupled with the effort and additional expense of organising babysitting and eating out is not justified in my mind after watching recent displays unfortunately) I hope you have the time of your life tonight when witnessing an attacking City display that brings home three points and a few goals. I really do. When I am listenting to the radio, on here, watching SS1 I will only be happy if City get the result. I certainly do not want the club to fail and don't think many others do either.

Yours SINCERELY in the pouring rain

Usual Suspect!!!

Dear Redfred

Whatever our differences of opinion I can assure you that despite being unhappy with the style of football and despite not going to the match tonight (the travelling time coupled with the effort and additional expense of organising babysitting and eating out is not justified in my mind after watching recent displays unfortunately) I hope you have the time of your life tonight when witnessing an attacking City display that brings home three points and a few goals. I really do. When I am listenting to the radio, on here, watching SS1 I will only be happy if City get the result. I certainly do not want the club to fail and don't think many others do either.

Usual Suspect!!!

Same from me.

It meant organising the mother-in-law to look after the kids and me travelling down on my motorbike in the rain, it would always be a mad rush to get in from work, bite to eat etc before heading off to the make kick-off. And after Saturday, I can't be arsed to make the effort. No doubt I will now miss a 3-0 win but, unlikely.

Good luck to those who are going, I admire you.

Another usual suspect.

Dear Redfred

Usual Suspect!!!

Greebo

I think we will always have to agree to disagree and i've no problem saying that (as you correctly guessed) you are one of the usual suspects i referred to. It is entirely your prerogative to stay away tonight and as you feel so strongly about the entertainment on offer, i can understand. I personally will be there tonight and will be getting behind the team as ever because it's about the rough with the smooth. I wouldn't walk out on my missus if i she wasn't her usual bubbly self on a Saturday night out and i won't be walking out on City if they are not performing to their potential.

There are big things to come from this team and i really do feel that we are slowly getting there, even if Saturday didn't demonstrate that. I also feel that last season is still to prevelant in people's minds and they can't detach how we approached games then to the results we are getting now, namely the conceding of late equalisers. Saturday's performance wasn't great, but tonight (head above the parapet now) i think will be a different story and sadly your self enforced absence will see you missing out. Onwards and upwards.

Don't over indulge on the Doritos and Stella in your arm chair x x

Love, as always

Redfred

Exactly!

We are in the Championship and when you are in the Championship sh1t happens.

After last night four points sepparate the top TEN teams. OK it's annoying when City are winning but only draw due to a late goal, but hey; we were lucky at home to CP and away to Newcastle.

Be interesting on here now. Some people willsay last night's result shows what City are capable of. Others will declare a 3-1 scoreline is only papering over cracks.

After last night four points sepparate the top TEN teams. OK it's annoying when City are winning but only draw due to a late goal, but hey; we were lucky at home to CP and away to Newcastle.

Be interesting on here now. Some people willsay last night's result shows what City are capable of. Others will declare a 3-1 scoreline is only papering over cracks.

It will be papering over the cracks if GJ goes back to playing 4 central midfielders in a 4-4-2. If he goes 3-5-2, with the right players in the right positions, then I think we will really see what we are capable of, and last night shows that 3-5-2 can be flexible and changed easily.

To think we are were we are despite having the squad hit by illnes and injury for much of the season, GJ's tactics and formations being a bit unpredictable ( in a predictable way) and us not really finding our scoring boots. If we stick with it and can get it right then not only will we be in play off contention, I think we can be serious challengers for automatic.

P.S. Surely McCoombe's continued inclusion must be justification for Wilson coming back from loan.

Archived