IGNORED

I Pay My Money To Be Entrtained!

gaz897

All I'm saying is that I don't think he can take us any further. I like the players we have and the way the club has moved forward. I don't like GJ as a manager and thats my opinion. Why do so many people think that if we played an attacking brand of football with the players we have, we wouldn't be in the position we are by playing negative and defensive. I'm not saying I want to watch barca style football, I just think we would be even higher if we used our squad to at least attack at home.

All I'm saying is that I don't think he can take us any further. I like the players we have and the way the club has moved forward. I don't like GJ as a manager and thats my opinion. Why do so many people think that if we played an attacking brand of football with the players we have, we wouldn't be in the position we are by playing negative and defensive. I'm not saying I want to watch barca style football, I just think we would be even higher if we used our squad to at least attack at home.

give it some time chap we have 7 new players 6 who played yesterday were also playing a different system than last year so it will take time to gel once everyone is properly settled in and fully understands the tactics and new formation i guarantee we will see a much improved team but it takes time

give it some time chap we have 7 new players 6 who played yesterday were also playing a different system than last year so it will take time to gel once everyone is properly settled in and fully understands the tactics and new formation i guarantee we will see a much improved team but it takes time

precisely, its only just november ffs!

Things are looking good, we are 5th and I dont think we've got anywhere near our best yet.......

All I'm saying is that I don't think he can take us any further.

Disagree with that!

3rd in the championship - 1st season back, better than anything we could of expected

10th in the championship - consolidation - maybe a bit of disappointment from the season before

5th in the championship - strengthened team - challenges with the big boys - good results against teams on form (Newcastle, Blackpool, Barnsley)

I think he's only just starting!

It seems that if anyone dares to criticise GJ then you are instantly labelled a moaner who wants him out. Since he's been here you would have to describe his tactical style as "cautious". Yesterday we had four very capable central midfielders strung across the middle - not one of them could actually pick the ball up and run at a defence - although apologies to the exellent Skuse who scored a couple of weeks ago but that was quite an exception to the rule.

I don't want to change the manager but I do want the manager to change a little. If we played with a more attacking style at home (particularly against teams who are having a tough time - Sheff Wed, Scunny, Peterboro) maybe last years 13 home draws might have been 7 wins and 6 defeats - that's 21 points as opposed to 13 by the way.

And you don't pay your money to be entertained when going to watch football - YOU PAY YOUR MONEY TO FOLLOW YOUR TEAM!!!

Cinema / concerts / theatre = entertainment.

Says who?

I think you'll find people decide for themselves why they spend their money. Plenty of fans don't care about the quality of the football, they just want the right result, or just go "to follow their team". But there are plenty of people who do care about the quality of what they get to see - and their money is as good as yours.

Like the OP, I've got a season ticket and will have one next year, and the year after, and for as long as I can. Unlike the OP, I don't want to see GJ leave any time soon. But I'd really like to see more entertainment than I'm getting at the moment. If we're still in the hunt for promotion with a dozen games to go, I won't care how we get our results, but mostly, I watch football to enjoy the game.

I can understand why more casual followers of City would choose not to spend £28+ to watch City at the moment, in spite of our league position, but prefer to spend that money on cinema/concerts/theatre/a night at the pub.

Says who?

I think you'll find people decide for themselves why they spend their money. Plenty of fans don't care about the quality of the football, they just want the right result, or just go "to follow their team". But there are plenty of people who do care about the quality of what they get to see - and their money is as good as yours.

Like the OP, I've got a season ticket and will have one next year, and the year after, and for as long as I can. Unlike the OP, I don't want to see GJ leave any time soon. But I'd really like to see more entertainment than I'm getting at the moment. If we're still in the hunt for promotion with a dozen games to go, I won't care how we get our results, but mostly, I watch football to enjoy the game.

I can understand why more casual followers of City would choose not to spend £28+ to watch City at the moment, in spite of our league position, but prefer to spend that money on cinema/concerts/theatre/a night at the pub.

Nail, head, hit, ow, well done.

I know everyone wants to see great football, but only a few understand properly that you cant do that overnight.

IMO GJ is using the hard-working route and adding flair players 1 by 1, eventually turmig us into brazil 1970's.

Give him 3 more years and see what happens!

Guest AJ Sylvester

I pay my money to see City get results. We're doing that. I'm happy.

If you want to be entertained go to the circus.

Last thought - the football really isn't that bad. It's on the deck for the most part. We've also scored 7 in the last 3 games so seriously....

Last thought - the football really isn't that bad. It's on the deck for the most part. We've also scored 7 in the last 3 games so seriously....

Another one who thinks it's OK to tell us how to spend our money. If you're only interested in the result, why not just watch it on teletext?

If everyone who didn't care about the quality of the football went to the circus instead, it would certainly make parking by the ground easier for those of you left. And it would give us a turnover that ensured a future in the lower reaches of the leagues.

Whether you like it or not, there are many people who do care about the quality of what they watch, and the club could use their money too. GJ and the team's job is to get results, of course, but if they do that with turgid football they'll get smaller crowds than if they entertain as well.

And No, it's not that bad at the moment - but it's not very exciting either, for the most part. I've no plans to go to the circus every other Saturday, but, as I stated in an earlier post, can understand why some would choose to do something else.

City are not getting the right results. With squad we have City should turning over teams like Posh, Scunny and Wednesday - all of whom ae below us in the league

:tumbleweed:

The football is that bad. Narrow, pedestrian and uninspiring. Yep, 7 goals in three games is ok but it should have been more.

It is not a cardinal sin to want Gary Johnson's team to have more attacking flair and more ideas in front of goal.

It is not a cardinal sin to want the best available players to be playing in the team.

It is not a cardinal sin to want us to kill off teams and stop under-achieving our potential.

However, for some of us to criticise 'the chosen one' it is...

Nobody wants his head... yet... we just want him to take off his blinkers and play with some width, pace and entertainment.

You can point to our position in the league as much as you like, but all that says to me is that this league is poor - and we contribute to that with indifferent performances. The points spread in the top half of the table is just 7 points.

It is not a cardinal sin to want Gary Johnson's team to have more attacking flair and more ideas in front of goal.

It is not a cardinal sin to want the best available players to be playing in the team.

It is not a cardinal sin to want us to kill off teams and stop under-achieving our potential.

However, for some of us to criticise 'the chosen one' it is...

Nobody wants his head... yet... we just want him to take off his blinkers and play with some width, pace and entertainment.

You can point to our position in the league as much as you like, but all that says to me is that this league is poor - and we contribute to that with indifferent performances. The points spread in the top half of the table is just 7 points.

No its not criticism that I have a problem with, its calling for the managers head or as robbored does, have a field day when we dont win........

Some of our less than intelligent posters HAVE called for his head........

No its not criticism that I have a problem with, its calling for the managers head or as robbored does, have a field day when we dont win........

Some of our less than intelligent posters HAVE called for his head........

You can say I'm having a field day all you you like but the fact is I get frustrated with Johnson making the same mistakes again and again. For ages now several posters, me included have bemoaned how dull the playing style is and how Johnson isn't getting the best out of the strongest squad (which he has built) we've had for decades.That in a nutshell is what my critism is all about.

You can say I'm a field all you you like but the fact is I get frustrated with Johnson making the same mistakes again and again. For ages now several posters, me included have bemoaned how dull the playing style is and how Johnson isn't getting the best out of the strongest squad (which he has built) we've had for decades.That in a nutshell is what my critism is all about.

Really? you've never said.....

Guest AJ Sylvester
Another one who thinks it's OK to tell us how to spend our money. If you're only interested in the result, why not just watch it on teletext?

If everyone who didn't care about the quality of the football went to the circus instead, it would certainly make parking by the ground easier for those of you left. And it would give us a turnover that ensured a future in the lower reaches of the leagues.

Whether you like it or not, there are many people who do care about the quality of what they watch, and the club could use their money too. GJ and the team's job is to get results, of course, but if they do that with turgid football they'll get smaller crowds than if they entertain as well.

And No, it's not that bad at the moment - but it's not very exciting either, for the most part. I've no plans to go to the circus every other Saturday, but, as I stated in an earlier post, can understand why some would choose to do something else.

OMG what an amazingly hypocritical post. Just amazing.

The first post is having a rant telling everyone how we should change the style of play because the poster isn't very happy with it.

I turn round to say that in my opinion it isn't that bad and that I'm more interested in results and that's ME telling others how to spend their money!?! Err....

Guest AJ Sylvester
City are not getting the right results. With squad we have City should turning over teams like Posh, Scunny and Wednesday - all of whom ae below us in the league

What kind of logic is that? I admit that we should've beaten those teams really but just because they're below you in the league you can't use that to criticise the team. By that token we could be top of the Premier League and you'd be criticising us if we drew at home to Man United.

As a club we have no right to beat any team and are actually a "smaller club" than Boro, Forest, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Derby, Reading and Ipswich - all of who we are ahead of. No doubt we also have smaller budgets than many others such as QPR.

The football is that bad. Narrow, pedestrian and uninspiring. Yep, 7 goals in three games is ok but it should have been more.

Every club in the world could say "it should have been more". If we'd created hundreds of chances and scored 7 you'd probably be moaning poor finishing. You wouldn't really expect us to score more than 2.3 every game would you!?!

Every club in the world could say "it should have been more". If we'd created hundreds of chances and scored 7 you'd probably be moaning poor finishing. You wouldn't really expect us to score more than 2.3 every game would you!?!

City haven't been creating many chances, in fact only Maynards superb finishing has kept the 'goals for' column looking as it does. City have scored 18 goals in 15 games thats 1.2 goals per game. Consider that 7 of those 18 have come in the last 3 games and it kinda proves the point.

Guest AJ Sylvester
City haven't been creating many chances, in fact only Maynards superb finishing has kept the 'goals for' column looking as it does. City have scored 18 goals in 15 games thats 1.2 goals per game. Consider that 7 of those 18 have come in the last 3 games and it kinda proves the point.

Yes - that our goals per game ratio has gone up a long way in the last 3 games.

Sorry but you pay your money to watch a game of football - which you got, anything else is just a bonus.

You do realize there is another team on this pitch when we play that doesn't want us to play well and does everything in there power to stop us from playing well?

Sorry but you pay your money to watch a game of football - which you got, anything else is just a bonus.

You do realize there is another team on this pitch when we play that doesn't want us to play well and does everything in there power to stop us from playing well?

That is a quality quote. Could not have put it better myself.

We don't need a new manager but we definitely need new ideas coming into the club especially in the tactical department. I would suggest bringing in a director of football but I feel this would not go down well with Gj's ego and management team. Plus there wouldn't be anyone realistically available to fill such a roll at the present time.

We don't need a new manager, but we do need a different sense of reality on here sometimes.

I live 3 hours + away from Bristol. I won't bore you with my situation, but suffice it to say that a combination of personal and financial circumstances mean that I have only been able to get to a handful of away games in the last 18 months and none so far this season - I hoped to get to Barnsley but couldn't afford to go.

I stood on the East End as a boy almost every week and when I played senior football, still went to AG every week we didn't have a game and for midweek games. I would give anything to be in a position to be at AG every other week, just to see us play. I was at Ipswich a couple of seasons ago and experienced the worst result I have ever seen, but it was a great afternoon when our away support got better as the score got worse! The same at Sheff U last season - we were lucky to escape a 6-0 that day as well , but I had looked forward to the game for ages and still enjoyed following my team.

In the bigger scheme of things, and in the wider football world we are relatively insignificant among the so called big clubs/ex prem clubs now in the championship, especially in terms of the financial clout some of those clubs have in comparison. Despite this, we are in there competing, and competing well. I suspect 20,000+ fans at Roy Keane's Ipswich would happily swap places with us right now - as would 20000+ fans at Norwich and Leeds!

Yes, there are things that could be better. We could play a more atacking style, score more goals and be more entertaining, but I remember Danny W missing out on promotion when we were the top scoring team in the whole of the football league and he was criticised because we leaked too many gaols and this, they said cost promoption because we drewor lost games we should have won . Danny turned it around , gave us the league's best defence the next season but we missed promotion becasue, they said, we failed to score enough goals and this meant we drew to many games we should have won. Sometimes a manager can be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

I understand that fans will want a return on their investment in a season ticket, in terms of entertainment. However, surely we all understand that our contract with the club, as fans, is totally one sided. The only guarantee is that the club receive our support through thick and thin. In returnthe coub guarantee uis nothign at all. There is no guarantee of any certainty; whether that be results, entertainment or playing at the highest possible level, or even that the manager will pick the players we all think is best for his position! No, the certainty we have is that following our club will result in more disappointments than sucesses, and the absolute certainty that we will be let down on many more occassions than we will ever let the club down.

If we wanted certainty and any sort of guarantees then we would all be trecking to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Emirates or Anfield every other Saturday/Sunday/Monday- OK perhaps not Anfieldat the moment!. But surely, supporting a club like Bristol City is all about accepting that most fo the time it will be frustrating, disappiointing and occassionally awful, because when the successes do come along they are all the sweeter for what we have suffered along the way.

Perhaps sometimes we are to quick to bemoan what we don't have, instead of being more than grateful for what we do have.

You can say I'm having a field day all you you like but the fact is I get frustrated with Johnson making the same mistakes again and again. For ages now several posters, me included have bemoaned how dull the playing style is and how Johnson isn't getting the best out of the strongest squad (which he has built) we've had for decades.That in a nutshell is what my critism is all about.

Your right, for ages you been moaning. If only you could put as much energy into the praise you begrudgingly give when we get a result as you do when we don`t your constant dirge might be more palatable.

PDG

We don't need a new manager, but we do need a different sense of reality on here sometimes.

I live 3 hours + away from Bristol. I won't bore you with my situation, but suffice it to say that a combination of personal and financial circumstances mean that I have only been able to get to a handful of away games in the last 18 months and none so far this season - I hoped to get to Barnsley but couldn't afford to go.

I stood on the East End as a boy almost every week and when I played senior football, still went to AG every week we didn't have a game and for midweek games. I would give anything to be in a position to be at AG every other week, just to see us play. I was at Ipswich a couple of seasons ago and experienced the worst result I have ever seen, but it was a great afternoon when our away support got better as the score got worse! The same at Sheff U last season - we were lucky to escape a 6-0 that day as well , but I had looked forward to the game for ages and still enjoyed following my team.

In the bigger scheme of things, and in the wider football world we are relatively insignificant among the so called big clubs/ex prem clubs now in the championship, especially in terms of the financial clout some of those clubs have in comparison. Despite this, we are in there competing, and competing well. I suspect 20,000+ fans at Roy Keane's Ipswich would happily swap places with us right now - as would 20000+ fans at Norwich and Leeds!

Yes, there are things that could be better. We could play a more atacking style, score more goals and be more entertaining, but I remember Danny W missing out on promotion when we were the top scoring team in the whole of the football league and he was criticised because we leaked too many gaols and this, they said cost promoption because we drewor lost games we should have won . Danny turned it around , gave us the league's best defence the next season but we missed promotion becasue, they said, we failed to score enough goals and this meant we drew to many games we should have won. Sometimes a manager can be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

I understand that fans will want a return on their investment in a season ticket, in terms of entertainment. However, surely we all understand that our contract with the club, as fans, is totally one sided. The only guarantee is that the club receive our support through thick and thin. In returnthe coub guarantee uis nothign at all. There is no guarantee of any certainty; whether that be results, entertainment or playing at the highest possible level, or even that the manager will pick the players we all think is best for his position! No, the certainty we have is that following our club will result in more disappointments than sucesses, and the absolute certainty that we will be let down on many more occassions than we will ever let the club down.

If we wanted certainty and any sort of guarantees then we would all be trecking to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Emirates or Anfield every other Saturday/Sunday/Monday- OK perhaps not Anfieldat the moment!. But surely, supporting a club like Bristol City is all about accepting that most fo the time it will be frustrating, disappiointing and occassionally awful, because when the successes do come along they are all the sweeter for what we have suffered along the way.

Perhaps sometimes we are to quick to bemoan what we don't have, instead of being more than grateful for what we do have.

Quality, quality post. Perfectly sums up the reality of following BCFC. Like you, I have a long way to travel to see the team, and like you I do not expect anything in return, other than the pleasure of seeing familiar faces and places. I'm fortunate that I can afford to go as often as I like. Good luck to you - we need more genuine supporters like you at AG.

Well_red

Quality, quality post. Perfectly sums up the reality of following BCFC. Like you, I have a long way to travel to see the team, and like you I do not expect anything in return, other than the pleasure of seeing familiar faces and places. I'm fortunate that I can afford to go as often as I like. Good luck to you - we need more genuine supporters like you at AG.

Well_red

+ 1.

Well_red

+2

PDG

I meant to add, that I am pretty sure that everyone who posts on here is , at heart, a true city fan. For all the moans and groans, if push came to shove everyone of them ( Robbored, Ashtonyate et al) would be down at AG supporting the team.

On a training course, a long, long time ago, we had a role play excercise where the role play was done in front of everyone and at the end the observers had to provide feedback. Everybody chipped in and the feedback sessions lasted for ages. After 2/3 role plays, the trainer then instructed he observers to provide only positive feedback about what went well. Very few observers contributed feedback this time, and the feedback lasted only a few minutes.

The lessons thias taught is that it is much easier to find things to criticise, but much harder to find things to praise. In that respect, this forum merely mirrors human nature. The other thing that came out was that different people will have a different perspective on the same thing. We each have our own perspective , which might be completely different from someone else's, but doesn't mean we are right and they are wrong, or visa versa. There are too many posters who have an entrenched position on a particular issue, and almost appear willing to foght to the death any one who opposes their view.

You only have to look at threads starting; "pick you best team" where we get back as many different selections and formations as there are posts. Gj has opnly one selection, so how can he please all the people all the time? He can't , so somewhere along the line, we all perhaps have to trust that his judgement is based on greater knowledge and experience than all of ours together. Also, we might all have our own opinions as to the way we should play, what formation or what players are in the team, but GJ is the only one who can lose his job if he gets it wrong.

Like I said I will continue to renew my season ticket no matter what league we're in. I've watched city for 25 years and this is the most boring unattractive football we've ever played. Why is it wrong to try and get the same results playing an attacking style of football at home. GJ hasn't done this for the last 2 years. Yes we've been unbeaten at home for a long time but how many draws and apart from PLymouth how many times do we score more than once? I'd rather we won 2 games at home and lost 2 TRYING rather than draw 6 one all.

Like I said I will continue to renew my season ticket no matter what league we're in. I've watched city for 25 years and this is the most boring unattractive football we've ever played. Why is it wrong to try and get the same results playing an attacking style of football at home. GJ hasn't done this for the last 2 years. Yes we've been unbeaten at home for a long time but how many draws and apart from PLymouth how many times do we score more than once? I'd rather we won 2 games at home and lost 2 TRYING rather than draw 6 one all.

The point is though, that we aren't drawing that many games at home. Two points a game at average this season at home - if we get 52 points at home it doesn't take a genius to work out that a few decent results away will get us a play off place.

Archived