IGNORED

Lee Trundle

Motorwayman

Trundle does affect games if you play to his strengths. We didn't play to his strengths. And it's got nothing to do with age or speed. Hartley is a similar age and has no speed and yet he must be the best midfielder in the Championship. How he is not in the Premier League is beyond me and how we managed to sign him (thank god) is beyond me.

Best player at City for years

Missed this post! haha! you MUST be joking!

play off final springs to mind... plus plenty of other times

Plenty of other times my arse.

Trundle started alongside Adebola about half a dozen times at the end of the 07/08 season and in those games were some of the best team performances we've had under Johnson.

The only other times Trundle played well aside from two spectacular goals against Scunny were the handful of times we started him alongside Showunmi.

He started alongside Sproule and Byfield most frequently.

It's not really that hard to figure out.

Plenty of other times my arse.

Trundle started alongside Adebola about half a dozen times at the end of the 07/08 season and in those games were some of the best team performances we've had under Johnson.

The only other times Trundle played well aside from two spectacular goals against Scunny were the handful of times we started him alongside Showunmi.

He started alongside Sproule and Byfield most frequently.

It's not really that hard to figure out.

Thats the answer that i thought was right, thankyou.

Nibor's post serves to emphasise that Trundle clearly did not get sufficient extended runs alongside the type of strike partner he had thrived with elsewhere.

It's a complete mystery why GJ signed Trundle, and knowing his strengths ( and no doubt his weaknesses) proceeded to utilise him the way he did.

He started another 4 the folllowing season, too.

So it wasn't the right answer.

We won two and drew two of those four, then he got dropped to the bench and we conceded four against Reading and it looked like being a cricket score until we brought Trundle on and he changed the game.

Fact is, Trundle is good enough at this level if you use him properly and in the two and a half seasons we've had him we have not managed to start him as a second striker with any regularity - instead expecting him to be a target man most of the time which any idiot knows is futile.

I really can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but I did have a wry smile on my face at the pub earlier when Trundle's name came up twice.

He's been at Swansea since end of Sept I guess? He's started, or played in 7 games. That's all I need to know.

He's not fit enough at this level, ok, he's scored 4 goals - but 2 have come in 10 mins today.

I turned to my fellow City fan today and said, 'I hope that's enough for Swansea to want to take him on in Jan' - and he agreed. Nothing against Trunds, think he's a top bloke, and a great player on his day, but it's not worked for him here. Time to move on, and for Trunds to go back to his one true love.

If he does stay though, I wouldn't be adverse to giving him a few games on the left. We're not going up, we're not going down - why not?

We won two and drew two of those four, then he got dropped to the bench and we conceded four against Reading and it looked like being a cricket score until we brought Trundle on and he changed the game.

Fact is, Trundle is good enough at this level if you use him properly and in the two and a half seasons we've had him we have not managed to start him as a second striker with any regularity - instead expecting him to be a target man most of the time which any idiot knows is futile.

How did Byfield get his 8 goals in the first half of his season with us??

How did Maynard get all of his goals this season when playing alongside Haynes???

No target man = excuse

Nibor's post serves to emphasise that Trundle clearly did not get sufficient extended runs alongside the type of strike partner he had thrived with elsewhere.

It's a complete mystery why GJ signed Trundle, and knowing his strengths ( and no doubt his weaknesses) proceeded to utilise him the way he did.

It would be like signing a central midfielder and playing him on the left, or buying a winger and playing him as a striker when you have two international strikers sitting on the bench. Cant see those sort of things happening though :noexpression:

How did Byfield get his 8 goals in the first half of his season with us??

How did Maynard get all of his goals this season when playing alongside Haynes???

No target man = excuse

Excuses? No, simply recognising cause and effect.

Excuses are what you're making on the manager's behalf for the shite we watched again today.

Trundle isn't a great player, I was one of the few who didn't want us to sign him, but what he is is a flair player who needs ball to feet facing goal - that's so obvious I'm surprised anybody needs it explaining.

We did not use him appropriately and surprise surprise he didn't do well here. Shock horror.

Excuses? No, simply recognising cause and effect.

Excuses are what you're making on the manager's behalf for the shite we watched again today.

Trundle isn't a great player, I was one of the few who didn't want us to sign him, but what he is is a flair player who needs ball to feet facing goal - that's so obvious I'm surprised anybody needs it explaining.

We did not use him appropriately and surprise surprise he didn't do well here. Shock horror.

We did use him appropriately. We stuck him up front! The ONLY time he looked good enough was the play-offs - That was the only time he looked 100% fit and motivated.

:o

Thanks for providing a few FACTS which put this Trundle argument into some sort of perspective, rather than just whether individuals like Trundle or not.

You can only continue to wonder why Trundle was discarded after those 4 unbeaten games, something alot of us would have been mystified about at the time.

We did use him appropriately. We stuck him up front! The ONLY time he looked good enough was the play-offs - That was the only time he looked 100% fit and motivated.

Riaz, you're talking shite. You know very well that if Trundle wasn't fit he wouldn't have been picked, and I know he was actually one of the better performers in the fitness tests during the first season.

He didn't play well often but all his good performances bar one came when playing alongside Adebola or Showunmi and the reason for that isn't motivation or fitness it is a very simple and obvious football reason.

Lee Trundle isn't a targetman. We played as though he was. If you didn't notice that from watching the games there isn't much point having this debate with you.

He's been at Swansea since end of Sept I guess? He's started, or played in 7 games. That's all I need to know.

He's not fit enough at this level, ok, he's scored 4 goals - but 2 have come in 10 mins today.

I turned to my fellow City fan today and said, 'I hope that's enough for Swansea to want to take him on in Jan' - and he agreed. Nothing against Trunds, think he's a top bloke, and a great player on his day, but it's not worked for him here. Time to move on, and for Trunds to go back to his one true love.

If he does stay though, I wouldn't be adverse to giving him a few games on the left. We're not going up, we're not going down - why not?

Perhaps he's resettled there now and is coming into form. What if he scores another couple next week, and a couple more before the end of the month?

8 goals in maybe 11/12 games, it's not impossible - what would City fans think then?

It certainly wouldn't provide ammunition for those that say Trundle's not up to the Championship, more likely perhaps prove that utilised correctly he is, and that City persistently failed to do that.

Surely that was Adebola?

Trundle had numerous opportunities with him, was also paired with every sort of striker under the sun and rarely delivered for us.

Can you name one game that Trundle started with Adebola because, even though that should have been the obvious partnership, I can't think of one time it happened.

Archived