IGNORED

Still No Gary

Keep the Faith

Surely the summer transfer business was exemplary. We are MUCH stronger ON the pitch than last year. I truly believe this will be shown in the February, March and April time next year when last year we had a dismal run-in. This season I believe we have a great strength in depth.

Brings us back to the view that despite having the strongest (albeit unbalanced) squad for decades Johnson has failed so far to get the best out of them. Wrong formation and tactics, players out of position and little, if any flair. Thats mainly why there boo's after the Ipswich game. How often do any of us leave AG these days feeling that we've had our monies worth and been entertained? If fact when was the last time?

I can only see City being a major contender come April/May if Johnson, 1) Strengthens in the January window, particularly down the left side. 2) Adpots a far more positive style of play and worries less about who the opposition is. For examaple all we heard from Millen pre-Donny was what a good a passing side they were and that City would have to work hard to stop them playing. Far better imo to have said 'we are capable of matching Donny's passing game and it should be an entertaining match'

Brings us back to the view that despite having the strongest (albeit unbalanced) squad for decades Johnson has failed so far to get the best out of them. Wrong formation and tactics, players out of position and little, if any flair. Thats mainly why there boo's after the Ipswich game. How often do any of us leave AG these days feeling that we've had our monies worth and been entertained? If fact when was the last time?

I can only see City being a major contender come April/May if Johnson, 1) Strengthens in the January window, particularly down the left side. 2) Adpots a far more positive style of play and worries less about who the opposition is. For examaple all we heard from Millen pre-Donny was what a good a passing side they were and that City would have to work hard to stop them playing. Far better imo to have said 'we are capable of matching Donny's passing game and it should be an entertaining match'

Sorry, but when was the last time City played entertaining football at this level under ANY manager? We didn't last time we got promoted (unless you call being slaughtered by the likes of Wolves entertaining) so I presume you are harking back to a golden era in the early 70s???

The reality is that City as a club/team have to play at their very best to win any points in this division against far bigger clubs (Ipswich, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Sheff Wed to name but four we have played in recent weeks). We are light years away from being able to play champage football at this level and have been able to since I was in short trousers, which was a very long time ago.

If we don't worry about stopping the opposition play, we are far more likely to get relegated than promoted.

As for your comment about having the strongest squad for decades - we are playing at our highest level for decades. When was the last time we produced three or four consecutive finishes in the top half of the second tier of English football - early 70s! We are NOT underachieving - we are exactly where we should be with this size of support, this quality of player and this level of experience.

absolutely wrong in every respect. GJ will be at BCFC next season.

I would not be so sure..........with crowds dwindling away the income goes with them and that as we all know will not sit well with any board let alone one that has shown the amount of ambition to go forward off the pitch as well as on it that our board has

Without a drastic change in attitude towards both the way we play & the fans who speak out the ST sales will be even less in summer.....

If the silence from GJ is down to sulking then IMO he is defo not the man with the right ideas and focus to take us on..............If however it is down to not having time because of harder effort to make it work then I hope we see results of it very soon

Sorry, but when was the last time City played entertaining football at this level under ANY manager? We didn't last time we got promoted (unless you call being slaughtered by the likes of Wolves entertaining) so I presume you are harking back to a golden era in the early 70s???

The reality is that City as a club/team have to play at their very best to win any points in this division against far bigger clubs (Ipswich, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Sheff Wed to name but four we have played in recent weeks). We are light years away from being able to play champage football at this level and have been able to since I was in short trousers, which was a very long time ago.

If we don't worry about stopping the opposition play, we are far more likely to get relegated than promoted.

As for your comment about having the strongest squad for decades - we are playing at our highest level for decades. When was the last time we produced three or four consecutive finishes in the top half of the second tier of English football - early 70s! We are NOT underachieving - we are exactly where we should be with this size of support, this quality of player and this level of experience.

The football we played in the 70's was not much different to what we are playing today.

We were tight defensively, would go 1-0 up and hang on for grim death.

As for those who say that season ticket sales are falling as a result of the football - this trend is not confined to City. Recession/credit crunch is biting more than a lot of people realise. Even Man Utd have considerably less season ticket holders than last season - down to 55k and the uptake of hospitality packages at Old Trafford has also fallen.

I can well remember leaving AG 'on a high' after games when Ward was manager and also Wilson. In a lower division granted, but quick, entertaining football nontheless. It didn't always pay of but overall City played some good stuff most weeks under both of them. In fact Swindon fans are purring over the way Wilson has them playing this season, but as sometimes happens, they didn't produce at the peanut huggers ground last saturday.

I don't buy that because City are in a higher league its not possible to play decent football. Other teams do it, Burnley and PNE last season for example - both a similair size to City. If they can why can't City? Are you saying Johnson doesn't have the players to play in a more entertaing style?

Recognising the oppositions strengths is obviously a sensible approach but no need to concentrate too much on them otherwise the team goes out half beaten already. Far better to concentrate on your own strengths, boost your players by telling them how good they are. Confidence is vital.

Citys current squad is better now than than the last two seasons but even so City still managed to finished 4th in the first season and 10th the next with a weaker squad. Now with a better squad plus the experience of two CCC seasons City should be better off and playing better more attractive football. I find it remarkable that you seem to accept mediocracy when the potential is there for far better.

Citys current squad is better now than than the last two seasons but even so City still managed to finished 4th in the first season and 10th the next with a weaker squad. Now with a better squad plus the experience of two CCC seasons City should be better off and playing better more attractive football. I find it remarkable that you seem to accept mediocracy when the potential is there for far better.

As plenty of people have said before, it's not about accepting mediocracy.

Our first season in the CCC was a strange one. Not many people, in fact, I doubt anyone would have predicted Stoke & Hull going up and us to finish 4th. A lot of 'bigger' teams under performed that season, and we very nearly cashed in.

I was mulling this over whilst checking the table last night, look at the teams above us:

Newcastle - were either going to be very strong, or have to sell their stars. Sadly, at the moment they look very strong

WBA - were always going to be up there, and not many people would have predicted us to finish above them, if any

Cardiff - got as good a squad as anyone in this league. God, that felt bad writing that.....

Forest - strong squad, a lot of peoples dark horses, and plenty of money to spend, it would seem

Leicester - I'm not surprised to see them doing well, good squad, under a good, young manager

Swansea - maybe a surprise to see them doing as well as last season

Blackpool - WTF! Hate to say it, but Hollowhead is doing a cracking job there with limited resources

Sheff Utd - despite their money problems, they still have a strong squad

Out of that lot I'd say I'm disappointed to be below Swansea, Blackpool and maybe Leicester - the rest of them I would say isn't surprising at all.

Maybe the league is getting stronger quicker than we can keep up right now. With an addition or two, in the correct areas in January then I'd be happy enough.

Lets not forget that we're above, and outperforming such giants as Middlesboro, QPR, Derby & Ipswich this season too.

As plenty of people have said before, it's not about accepting mediocracy.

Our first season in the CCC was a strange one. Not many people, in fact, I doubt anyone would have predicted Stoke & Hull going up and us to finish 4th. A lot of 'bigger' teams under performed that season, and we very nearly cashed in.

I was mulling this over whilst checking the table last night, look at the teams above us:

Newcastle - were either going to be very strong, or have to sell their stars. Sadly, at the moment they look very strong

WBA - were always going to be up there, and not many people would have predicted us to finish above them, if any

Cardiff - got as good a squad as anyone in this league. God, that felt bad writing that.....

Forest - strong squad, a lot of peoples dark horses, and plenty of money to spend, it would seem

Leicester - I'm not surprised to see them doing well, good squad, under a good, young manager

Swansea - maybe a surprise to see them doing as well as last season

Blackpool - WTF! Hate to say it, but Hollowhead is doing a cracking job there with limited resources

Sheff Utd - despite their money problems, they still have a strong squad

Out of that lot I'd say I'm disappointed to be below Swansea, Blackpool and maybe Leicester - the rest of them I would say isn't surprising at all.

Maybe the league is getting stronger quicker than we can keep up right now. With an addition or two, in the correct areas in January then I'd be happy enough.

Lets not forget that we're above, and outperforming such giants as Middlesboro, QPR, Derby & Ipswich this season too.

Unless Trundles off loaded :( for a few quid cant see us doing much if anything in the window; failure to sign anyone decent in the last 2, Jan windows probably cost us dear; and I see no reason to expect any change as we are skint. :o

Being a glass half empty jovil sort of guy, I`d say dont get yer hopes up.

Unless Trundles off loaded :( for a few quid cant see us doing much if anything in the window; failure to sign anyone decent in the last 2, Jan windows probably cost us dear; and I see no reason to expect any change as we are skint. :o

Being a half empty person, do you find you are pleasantly surprised more because you never expect it? ^_^

I suggest that part of the reason for Gary's silence is comments like this.

We are 2 points off the play-offs for crying out loud! Plus, we have been playing poorly.

Will you state the above if we are 2 points off the play-offs with four games to go?

Surely the summer transfer business was exemplary. Only Blackman can truly be said to be a failed signing. We are MUCH stronger ON the pitch than last year. I truly believe this will be shown in the February, March and April time next year when last year we had a dismal run-in. This season I believe we have a great strength in depth.

First part, if it is comments like ive made, as ive said before, he needs to be more professional. Its a fans forum, which is here to debate peoples opinions. If he cannot accept that, then god help him if we do ever reach the promised land and he has major pundits scrutinising his decisions.

Second point, I would put money on it now...that unless we add to the squad come January, we will not make top 6 this season! £20 bet??

Final point, I totally agree with. Yet players play out of position, or are not given a fair crack.

I really hope to be proved wrong, I do rate Johnson as a amanger, I really do.....I just think he is making some major mistakes this year. Who am I though eh!

Not fussed about offloading Trundle for a few quid, just offloading will do me! Hope he keeps scoring for Swansea between now and 31st Jan - then dries up afterwards!

To be fair, last Jan window was a write off with Styvar, the Jan before we got Carle. He helped the team reach the PO final, and was then offloaded for a profit. And, for as much stick as GJ had on here at the time, it's proved to be a good call. He's done sod all at Palace, more's the pity. Cracking bunch of lads and wish them all the best............ :innocent06:

As for getting my hopes up - I'm fine. I'm happy to consolidate, I'm not one of these expecting a top 2 finish and Champions League football in 3 years. After 23 years of supporting a (mainly) League 1 team, I'm chuffed to bits to be 9th in the Championship, without hitting top form.

I can well remember leaving AG 'on a high' after games when Ward was manager and also Wilson. In a lower division granted, but quick, entertaining football nontheless. It didn't always pay of but overall City played some good stuff most weeks under both of them. In fact Swindon fans are purring over the way Wilson has them playing this season, but as sometimes happens, they didn't produce at the peanut huggers ground last saturday.

I don't buy that because City are in a higher league its not possible to play decent football. Other teams do it, Burnley and PNE last season for example - both a similair size to City. If they can why can't City? Are you saying Johnson doesn't have the players to play in a more entertaing style?

Sounds like you would rather watch City playing good football in league one than dour stuff in the Championship. I wouldn't. I would rather watch us playing garbage football for a couple more seasons in the Championship if that's the time it takes to really build a squad that can compete with the big boys.

I take your point about Burnley, who played some good stuff in their promotion season, but I'm not sure Preston, with the likes of Parkin up front, are really any more attractive than City.

First part, if it is comments like ive made, as ive said before, he needs to be more professional. Its a fans forum, which is here to debate peoples opinions. If he cannot accept that, then god help him if we do ever reach the promised land and he has major pundits scrutinising his decisions.

Second point, I would put money on it now...that unless we add to the squad come January, we will not make top 6 this season! £20 bet??

Final point, I totally agree with. Yet players play out of position, or are not given a fair crack.

I really hope to be proved wrong, I do rate Johnson as a amanger, I really do.....I just think he is making some major mistakes this year. Who am I though eh!

I agree that he shouldn't let comments like yours get him down.

I can't believe he has been in football management this long and still got a thin skin so I'm not convinced he is missing the media talks for this reason. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that he's taking some time away from the media before the busy Xmas/NY time. Even with the best will in the world it must be tiresome to answer the same questions over and over so a bit of a break is a good thing in my view (for both GJ and the media).

A very apt comment at this time of year. :xmas:

Because GJ is one of the wise men bringing gold...

Archived