IGNORED

It Gets Worse. Simply Not Good Enough.

Robbored

Agreed it was a truly dull game, and entirely predictable - with 10 mins to go I said we'd get a Reading equaliser and sure enough we did. Not sure what has happened to our team, but they aren't playing like a team any more - we made Reading look good!

Constant changes to formation obviously don't help, players didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing.

Only positives for me all season have been:

- Hartley, looks quality when played in best position and in a 442 would run the midfield well

- Skuse, player of the season so far, played well wherever he is on the pitch, but for gods sake play him in a 442 alongside Hartley in the middle and we might actually see some good football

- Gerken, a revelation, stepped into the breach and made the position his

Negatives:

- no width

- constant changes of formation

- McCombe on the pitch at all

- Sno, what a let down

- lack of height up front, why did we let Dele go?

- boring, dull football

Looking for to 2010,what do we need:

- wingers!!!!

- let's get some pace and excitement back into how we play

I was quietly impressed with Clarkson. I like his approach to the game in that he takes up good positions and tries to feed players in. The best balls Maynard recieved all game were from Clarkson. It's only a shame that they both spent most of the game scrapping in midfield or trying to win high balls against Reading centre backs.

Agreed. I think he has good feet and can pick a pass. He wouldn't be the first striker to come to Ashton Gate only to find us not playing to his strengths.

I really don't know what to say anymore. Most of us can see what's wrong, it's been the same problem since day 1. No width, crap shape, round pegs... square holes, no service for Maynard, misunderstandings, confusion, no consistency, different team every week.

The worst thing of all is that there is absolutely zero acknowledgement from GJ. I just get the feeling that the whole season is like a rocking house of cards at the moment.

:noexpression:

Nail on the head right there my red friend...

I looked at Forest last night on the highlights show, and boy was I jealous of their style of play; flair and most of all - goals!

That was horrific.

Starting with 5 defenders at home is always asking for trouble but when you go 1-0 up early on, its disastrous. Orr and McAllister aren't wing backs and if GJ thinks they are then he is stupid. They haven't got the legs or the quality to be wing backs and they revert back to their natural position which leaves us with 1 too many in the centre of defence and confusion in defence.

We have a wing back with lots of pace playing well in division 1 week in week out, despite being part of a struggling team.

I didn't write on here yesterday because I just thought I couldn't be bothered.

Well yet again, I walk away from the ground disappointed at yet another last minute equaliser or winner to a team who deserved it, unhappy with again a woeful team performance, again feeling sorry for Gerkin who played well and Maynard again isolation and thinking like I wasted my money.

I listened to Twentyman on the way home and agreed with every caller about what I'd just seen.

No idea on the formation again.

Wing backs with two players who haven't got the distribution ability or the fitness to get up and back.

Sno's style isn't suited to this. He's totally out of place. Lost the ball consistently for it to end in another Reading near miss. He also is a bit of a coward when it comes to getting stuck in. Elliott made more interception tackles in his first 3 mins on the pitch than Sno did all game.

Five at the back at home? Having a laugh aren't you Gary?

How many times did Reading players have space in the middle, play the ball through the middle, push it out wide and attack with the ball on the floor?

Now count how many times we did that and instead gave the ball back to Fontaine or Carey to then launch it forward in the air for Maynard (or inevitably) a Reading defender?

And we were the side supposedly challenging for the play offs??

The formation is the problem. He's got no idea what is the best one. Why don't we play 4-4-2???? Every man and his dog knows that is what suits us. Until we get a left winger, I'd stick Williams out there. Elliott and Hartley in the middle. Carey, Fontaine, Orr and McAllister in a flat back four and then Clarkson and Maynard up front.

I mean fk me, is it that hard to see we don't know we are doing.

As for the game disappointd with the last minute goal but if we're honest, Reading were far more deserving of all three points.

Guest pogopete
Nail on the head right there my red friend...

I looked at Forest last night on the highlights show, and boy was I jealous of their style of play; flair and most of all - goals!

They played well and who was up front Dele Adebola we are missing him badly

I can see why GJ tried 4-3-3 or wing backs no problem , but sorry its nearly January and it dosen't work, sooner 4-4-2 comes back the better, the football is a complete mess in most games I don't think the players have a clue what there doing now, I still trust GJ but he needs to go back to the basic's that made him successful over the past 3 season's.

I think Gary needs to understand football fans. Or maybe just me...

I think back over my favourite players down the years - Murray, Bent, Goodridge, Dziekanowski. These are the types of players that make me sit on the edge of my seat.

These are the types of players I want to see.

I would rather we played entertaining and attacking football and finished mid table, rather than playing dull solid football and flirting with the playoffs. Sorry Gary, maybe thats just me?

I would immediately go to a 442 formation or a 3412 formation

In a 442 I would put Haynes and Sproule on the wings (I know that Sproule is injured)

In a 3412 I would have Clarkson as the 1 to link and thread balls through. Skuse and Hartley in the middle all day long At the moment, no one else competes or deserves a place in central midfield.

I would bring Akinde back and as soon as his match ban is over he would be on the bench or one of my front two. Ribiero would come back because Orr simply doesn't get forward or supply anything. He also lacks pace and gets skinned by any decent winger. Maynard, regardless of all the stats is just okay. Clarkson does look decent and Saborio is questionable.

Finally, although Carey is a central defender and keeps everything much better organised than any other central combination, he does give us something more than we have when he plays right back. Fontaine and Nyatanga in the last few home games have not been tight enough with the opposition going through the middle far too easily

Agreed it was a truly dull game, and entirely predictable - with 10 mins to go I said we'd get a Reading equaliser and sure enough we did. Not sure what has happened to our team, but they aren't playing like a team any more - we made Reading look good!

Constant changes to formation obviously don't help, players didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing.

Only positives for me all season have been:

- Hartley, looks quality when played in best position and in a 442 would run the midfield well

- Skuse, player of the season so far, played well wherever he is on the pitch, but for gods sake play him in a 442 alongside Hartley in the middle and we might actually see some good football

- Gerken, a revelation, stepped into the breach and made the position his

Negatives:

- no width

- constant changes of formation

- McCombe on the pitch at all

- Sno, what a let down

- lack of height up front, why did we let Dele go?

- boring, dull football

Looking for to 2010,what do we need:

- wingers!!!!

- let's get some pace and excitement back into how we play

I'm also wondering why we let Dele Adebola leave and why John Akinde is out on loan. I counted about ten occasions against Reading when the ball was lofted forward to Maynard - the type of ball Dele Adebola would control but the type of pass that Maynard can't hold and as a result Maynard lost possession. Maynard needs the ball passed to him on the floor but the team seem to think that he's Dele Adebola with the supply they give him.

I reckon John Akinde should be played during the last 15 minutes as he's one hell of an impact player and would help keep the ball in the opposition end at the end of games. Conceding goals in the last minutes is becoming a very serios problem for us and we need players on at the end of games that are capable of holding the ball in the opposition half to alleviate this problem.

What makes me laugh is when I read or hear about us having this great home record over the last couple of years. The stats with regards to games lost tell a lie. We have been mostly average/very poor at home. It says more about poor finishing from our opponents that we have lost so few at home.

What really concerns me is the fact that we never learn from our mistakes. We have a serious problem with a lack of concentration in the team. And much of this comes down to the fact that we're unable to finish teams off. We're just not good enough to protect a 1 goal lead.

It's the manager's job to correct this but he currently seems incapable of doing this. I'm still backing him because I really don't believe in impulsive decisions made on short term gain. I wouldn't change anything until the end of the season and then we'll see what's what. To be honest, my hunch is that Johnson would resign before he was sacked.

It also says more about the quality of the league this season that we're still only 3 points off the play-offs. I really thought the standard would be higher this season but I'd say it's much worse.

Not been a good season at all.

Exactly, clarkson was coming so deep just to have a chance of getting the bloody ball that it just wasn't funny, I've always liked the look of clarkson, but when he has no help and barely anyone getting ahead of him and maynard to give them an outlet, it's no wonder that they are struggling.

That's a good point I had thought we reverted to 3-5-2 after taking the lead but you're right it was more like 5-4-1.

The last 7.5 hrs of "football" I've watched (Peterboro, the Sheffields, Ipswich and yesterday) have yielded 4pts and frankly we didn't deserve any of them!

Dross.

Sean O'Driscoll perhaps. I can more or less guarantee that with him in charge we would see some long overdue football at Ashton Gate. I would love to see GJ take us to the next level but with every passing home game I am doubting more and more whether he has what it takes to produce a decent footballng side that can get results.

Manager

Team Nat From To Record

G W D L Win %

Bournemouth 19 August 2000 10 September 2006 326 118 98 110 36.20

Doncaster Rovers 8 September 2006 Present 177 71 49 57 40.23

Total 503 189 147 167 37.82

As of 05 November 2009.

Not a phenomenal record so wouldn't be my vote..

I think Gary needs to understand football fans. Or maybe just me...

I think back over my favourite players down the years - Murray, Bent, Goodridge, Dziekanowski. These are the types of players that make me sit on the edge of my seat.

These are the types of players I want to see.

I would rather we played entertaining and attacking football and finished mid table, rather than playing dull solid football and flirting with the playoffs. Sorry Gary, maybe thats just me?

No, it's not just you. But sadly Mr Johnson is not with us on this. If this goes on in the same vein though soon he won't be with us at all..then you might see those sort of players...maybe you might even see it from some of the more gifted but currently repressed players we already have. A great example of how this can happen - how Murray bloomed under Wilson after anonymity under Clueless

That's a good point I had thought we reverted to 3-5-2 after taking the lead but you're right it was more like 5-4-1.

The last 7.5 hrs of "football" I've watched (Peterboro, the Sheffields, Ipswich and yesterday) have yielded 4pts and frankly we didn't deserve any of them!

Dross.

It's relegation form, make no mistake about it.

At last, a question that really needs to be answered.

Anyone got any ideas?

Because he was too old and Forest were willing to give him two years on top whack (by which I mean well over £10k a week).

GJ was right not to IMO, our problem isn't one that Adebola would in any way fix.

Archived