IGNORED

This Forum

Lack of Action Man

Ok so recent times on here have got me thinking about the place.

I like being able to discuss the one and only City with people and whether we disagree or not normally doesn't matter to me as it's the main reason for having a forum.

But I really really hate some of the recent posts and threads on here, especially when it's being directed at the person and not the post in itself.

I by no means am defending any group of our fans, if you're a happy clapper so be it, if you're a moaner so be it, but I mean lately things have become more about individuals (like robbored) than the actual game of football.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someones opinions and ideas but when you take it to a personal level that I really can't stand. So, my plea is that the forum gets back to discussing football and the club we ALL love regardless of our opinions/beliefs and gets away from this period of posting about a poster.

now its the Johnson 'home guard' attacking RR..

Very strange indeed...

tumbleweed.gif

They are attacking me but I don't find it strange. I've become the forum scapegoat today in particular simply because I say it as I see it and unfortunately for some that means pointing the finger at our current manager and they can't handle it.

Almost everyone agrees that the football we've been subjected to has been about exciting as watching the snow thaw but when I post such remarks I get slaughtered by the usual suspects and it is the same forum users every time.

They are attacking me but I don't find it strange. I've become the forum scapegoat today in particular simply because I say it as I see it and unfortunately for some that means pointing the finger at our current manager and they can't handle it.

Almost everyone agrees that the football we've been subjected to has been about exciting as watching the snow thaw but when I post such remarks I get slaughtered by the usual suspects and it is the same forum users every time.

Poor you diddums.

You've been found out.

Things arent perfect - but we got alot going for us - on and off the pitch

city.gif UP THE CITY

Poor you diddums.

You've been found out.

Things arent perfect - but we got alot going for us - on and off the pitch

city.gif UP THE CITY

"Almost everyone agrees that the football we've been subjected to has been about exciting as watching the snow thaw but when I post such remarks I get slaughtered by the usual suspects and it is the same forum users every time."

And here's one of them....rofl2br.gif

"Almost everyone agrees that the football we've been subjected to has been about exciting as watching the snow thaw but when I post such remarks I get slaughtered by the usual suspects and it is the same forum users every time."

And here's one of them....rofl2br.gif

At least you admit to getting slaughtered winner_third_h4h.gif

Forgive an ignorant colonial, but I can't see the connection between the title of this thread, "THIS FORUM IS LIKE MARMITE" and the subject matter contained herein.

Help ?

you must of missed the 3 page attack on a certain poster i wont mention any names cough cough robbored a first time poster gave a very detailed account as to why the said poster has major issues with gary johnson but robbored denies all what was said so god knows what to make of it all

I like being able to discuss the one and only City with people and whether we disagree or not normally doesn't matter to me as it's the main reason for having a forum.

But I really really hate some of the recent posts and threads on here, especially when it's being directed at the person and not the post in itself.

I by no means am defending any group of our fans, if you're a happy clapper so be it, if you're a moaner so be it, but I mean lately things have become more about individuals (like robbored) than the actual game of football.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someones opinions and ideas but when you take it to a personal level that I really can't stand. So, my plea is that the forum gets back to discussing football and the club we ALL love regardless of our opinions/beliefs and gets away from this period of posting about a poster.

Here...? No...? Don't be rediculous...

:innocent06:

Well the accord on not attacking the poster lasted all of 5 minutes....

Perhaps we should have a sub-forum where people can just slag each other off. Perhaps a playground in an infant school - that seems more appropriate.

Oops. Now I've done it myself!

There's a touch of voyeurism behind this isn't it? It does detract from the quality of posting, but perhaps the huge amount of interest in the RR-gate post just shows how hypocritical we all are.

Yes we strive for quality debate where it's all civil, but we also can't resist watching handbags at dawn.

Perhaps we should split the forum into two - The Guardian section where serious debate can take place and the 'Heat' section where we all discuss RR's collagen implants and cellulite.

Just a thought. Shudder.

Still at least this forum will never reach this level of idiocy (from BBC news site):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8460753.stm

Peppa Pig in seatbelt safety row

_47115484_peppa1_226.jpg Astley Baker Davies has made more than 100 episodes of Peppa Pig<P class=first>TV character Peppa Pig will be seen wearing a seatbelt in future episodes, after parents raised concerns over children following her example. British animation company Astley Baker Davies said it would also re-animate scenes from the first and second series to reflect the change.

"We were very naive when we started making Peppa," co-founder Mark Baker told Broadcast magazine.

"If we could turn the clock back, we would," he said.

Aimed at children aged two and above, Peppa Pig won a children's Bafta in 2005 for best pre-school animation.

Shown on Five and children's channel Nick Jr, it follows a five-year-old pig named Peppa, her family and friends.

Astley Baker Davies had initially considered including seatbelts and child seats in the show but felt it might limit the characters' range of expressions.

But it reversed its stance after a parent complained that her daughter had refused to wear a seatbelt because Peppa did not.

I think robbered has a negative attitude but if it wasn't for people like him this forum would be pointless. Also if it was that personal people would be reported and removed. I personally can't wait for this good mans next post but I know everything he says I'll disagree with

Perhaps we should have a sub-forum where people can just slag each other off. Perhaps a playground in an infant school - that seems more appropriate.

There's a touch of voyeurism behind this isn't it? It does detract from the quality of posting, but perhaps the huge amount of interest in the RR-gate post just shows how hypocritical we all are.

Yes we strive for quality debate where it's all civil, but we also can't resist watching handbags at dawn.

Perhaps we should split the forum into two - The Guardian section where serious debate can take place and the 'Heat' section where we all discuss RR's collagen implants and cellulite.

Just a thought. Shudder.

You may have posted this tongue-in-cheek, but intentionally or unintentionally you have drawn attention to something I have consistently noticed in my limited experience of posting here myself.

I only joined last year and began enthusiastically, but within a couple of months my interest had rapidly dwindled. I almost lost the will to live watching one thread after another descend into infantile name-calling and the sort of personal, mutual hostility that is being talked about in this thread. Whether I just happened to join in the middle of a particularly bad spell, I don't know, but anyway I got fed up, stopped bothering and haven't been seen here for months until the last few days.

Even if it were possible to split the site into two, with one for civilised debate and the other for those who prefer trading accusations and insults, I have a pretty good idea what would happen. It isn't possible, of course, for the obvious reason that the latter would simply invade the former, but perhaps more importantly what you tend to find is that if you post something that is considered, thought through and respectful, you might at best get a "good post, mate" sort of acknowledgement out of somebody, or perhaps a polite, one-line disagreement, but it's more likely to be totally ignored than it is to generate a dialogue. Post a semi-literate, half-baked and borderline libelous rant, however, and you're practically guaranteed a minimum of fifty replies and a string of petty squabbles that runs into at least two pages.

Unfortunately, the lesson seems to be that the level of debate nearly always gravitates towards the lowest common denominator. The most objectionable posters generate the most traffic, by far, and hence they persist. If we all ignored them, as I generally do, they'd go away, but it seems we can't, or don't want to. Depressing, but borne out, I would suggest, by the evidence that's here for all to see, which is why I came to the conclusion that only very occasionally is it worth the bother of contributing.

I don't envy the moderators...

I only joined last year and began enthusiastically, but within a couple of months my interest had rapidly dwindled. I almost lost the will to live watching one thread after another descend into infantile name-calling and the sort of personal, mutual hostility that is being talked about in this thread. Whether I just happened to join in the middle of a particularly bad spell, I don't know, but anyway I got fed up, stopped bothering and haven't been seen here for months until the last few days.

That's a shame. I enjoyed reading your posts.

I think you make a good point about volume. Some people seem able to spend more time on here than others getting their point across, and also have a tendency to start ignoring posts that refute their own, only to make their point again in another thread a day or two later. It's this persistence and refusal to listen that causes frustration and leads to personal attacks.

I'm happy to debate anything on here fairly, rationally and in a civil manner, but I can't stand by whilst people continually attack the best manager the club has had in years (my opinion, yes, but his record speaks for itself). I'm not sure that Gary Johnson himself cares what is written about him on here but there are plenty of supporters who would otherwise be supportive who are being swayed by the endless attacks. It is possible for a few to influence the many and I won't stand by and let them do that to the detriment of Bristol City.

That's a shame. I enjoyed reading your posts.

I think you make a good point about volume. Some people seem able to spend more time on here than others getting their point across, and also have a tendency to start ignoring posts that refute their own, only to make their point again in another thread a day or two later. It's this persistence and refusal to listen that causes frustration and leads to personal attacks.

I'm happy to debate anything on here fairly, rationally and in a civil manner, but I can't stand by whilst people continually attack the best manager the club has had in years (my opinion, yes, but his record speaks for itself). I'm not sure that Gary Johnson himself cares what is written about him on here but there are plenty of supporters who would otherwise be supportive who are being swayed by the endless attacks. It is possible for a few to influence the many and I won't stand by and let them do that to the detriment of Bristol City.

Thanks a lot, Dan: your opening comment is much appreciated and encourages one to persevere!

Totally understand where you're coming from with the rest of your post and don't disagree. It does seem as though some people may have an agenda which is not entirely to do with the football. Unfair and misplaced as well as tiresome.

I think you probably know where I stand, but to make it clear to anyone else who might be reading this, I am sometimes critical of GJ and he does frustrate the hell out of me on occasions, but whenever I do have a point to make about selection or tactics or whatever, I have always been careful to state my view in the context of an acknowledgement of the man's achievements, for which I give him every credit. And I am certainly not an advocate of a mangerial change, though I think he may face perhaps the most testing time he's had so far in this job beween now and the end of the season. There is now a noticeable groundswell of opinion that I think will only die down if he can get more goals out of this side and generally generate a bit more excitment: there is no denying that many supporters are not enjoying their football much at the moment and that this has been the case for some time.

You are obviously an accomplished wordsmith and probably well-educated and thats possibly where your frustrations with the forum stem from. You expect too much.

There is a great diversity amongst those that post on this forum and not everyone has the ability, capacity or desire to enter into decent debate and therefore allowances have to be made.

To some black is white and white is black. Others have a fixed view and when that view is questioned they can become defensive, juvenille and sometimes abusive but thats their way. There are of course others who do willingly and constructively enter into debate.

You posts are always well thought out and well presented. So much so that there is not much scope for reply, but maybe, just maybe they are just a bit overlong.

ame='CliftonCliff' date='15 January 2010 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1263555576' post='1182866']

You are obviously an accomplished wordsmith and probably well-educated and thats possibly where your frustrations with the forum stem from. You expect too much.

There is a great diversity amongst those that post on this forum and not everyone has the ability, capacity or desire to enter into decent debate and therefore allowances have to be made.

To some black is white and white is black. Others have a fixed view and when that view is questioned they can become defensive, juvenille and sometimes abusive but thats their way. There are of course others who do willingly and constructively enter into debate.

You posts are always well thought out and well presented. So much so that there is not much scope for reply, but maybe, just maybe they are just a bit overlong.

CliftoncCliff is a good poster - I hope he stays!

But going back to what you are saying about not expecting too much because of the type of people on here...

You may 'willingly and constructively enter into debate' but only when it suits you.... you often stop debating suddenly... maybe because you know you are wrong??

you also dish out insults - you have to me... so you are no angel on that front.

CliftoncCliff is a good poster - I hope he stays!

But going back to what you are saying about not expecting too much because of the type of people on here...

You may 'willingly and constructively enter into debate' but only when it suits you.... you often stop debating suddenly... maybe because you know you are wrong??

you also dish out insults - you have to me... so you are no angel on that front.

You wanna have a debate about this Riaz? Keep it civil but with cards on the table?

Just a thought. Shudder.

Still at least this forum will never reach this level of idiocy (from BBC news site):

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8460753.stm

Peppa Pig in seatbelt safety row

_47115484_peppa1_226.jpg Astley Baker Davies has made more than 100 episodes of Peppa Pig<P class=first>TV character Peppa Pig will be seen wearing a seatbelt in future episodes, after parents raised concerns over children following her example. British animation company Astley Baker Davies said it would also re-animate scenes from the first and second series to reflect the change.

"We were very naive when we started making Peppa," co-founder Mark Baker told Broadcast magazine.

"If we could turn the clock back, we would," he said.

Aimed at children aged two and above, Peppa Pig won a children's Bafta in 2005 for best pre-school animation.

Shown on Five and children's channel Nick Jr, it follows a five-year-old pig named Peppa, her family and friends.

Astley Baker Davies had initially considered including seatbelts and child seats in the show but felt it might limit the characters' range of expressions.

But it reversed its stance after a parent complained that her daughter had refused to wear a seatbelt because Peppa did not.

Umm, so some silly bint couldn't pursuade her infant daughter to wear a seat belt bevuase, now leem get this right, Pepper the Pig was not wearing one?

YOUR DAUGHTER IS NOT PEPPER THE BLEEDIN PIG, ITS A CARTOON !!!!! Jeeesus H Christ, take some responsibility you mad cow!

I know kids can be demanding, but holy crap get a forking grip woman!

.... you often stop debating suddenly...

I think in fairness to RR that he is not Robinson Crusoe in that regard as we all do that from time to time because circumstances don't allow us to sit in front of the computer all the time.

I think in fairness to RR that he is not Robinson Crusoe in that regard as we all do that from time to time because circumstances don't allow us to sit in front of the computer all the time.

Quite right bigtone. Work does get in way and so does relationships, shopping, TV, social life......

ame='CliftonCliff' date='15 January 2010 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1263555576' post='1182866']

I think this may be attached to most of your arguments about your frustrations over BCFC and GJ in particular.

You wanna have a debate about this Riaz? Keep it civil but with cards on the table?

Yes okay, but I admit I have given you abuse in the past - no regrets there either. Point is, you are no angelic poster in that regard.

Robbos is more calculated. He has the time because I'll see him posting on another thread.

Yes okay, but I admit I have given you abuse in the past - no regrets there either. Point is, you are no angelic poster in that regard.

I think you give me regular abuse because you simply don't agree with what I'm saying. I see that as you not being able to react in any other way. In turn that suggests to me that you have an inflexible opinion about all BCFC and GJ in particular.

That, in turn makes it very hard for you to see what point that I (or some other posters) am actually trying to make. An example - you didn't appreciate the point I was making in my post after Tuesday night about long balls being an acceptable tactic in poor conditions and that trying to play decent football on a worsening snow covered pitch was probably not that good an idea.

I think those points are perfectly reasonable but you launched into me with gutso. I wasn't surprised because you do it almost every time I post.

Now if I'm wrong about any of the above then simply explain your take but without the jibes or abuse.

I think you give me regular abuse because you simply don't agree with what I'm saying. I see that as you not being able to react in any other way. In turn that suggests to me that you have an inflexible opinion about all BCFC and GJ in particular.

That, in turn makes it very hard for you to see what point that I (or some other posters) am actually trying to make. An example - you didn't appreciate the point I was making in my post after Tuesday night about long balls being an acceptable tactic in poor conditions and that trying to play decent football on a worsening snow covered pitch was probably not that good an idea.

I think those points are perfectly reasonable but you launched into me with gutso. I wasn't surprised because you do it almost every time I post.

Now if I'm wrong about any of the above then simply explain your take but without the jibes or abuse.

okay

tuesday after the game, you posted this:

Yet another dreary performance from City again tonight. No momentum, no impetus, no drive no excitement and a lucky draw against a young Cardiff outfit with loads of senior players missing.

Its boring to watch. Long balls up the middle again and again, no quality service to Maynard, simply no idea.

Why can't Johnson see what dross his team is being forced by him to play? You would think that with all the critism from the fans, media and the falling attendences that he would realise that he has to produce better, more entertaining football?

Ignore the conditions. It was the same for both teams just as the City performance was the same as we've seen for the past 18 months.

You clearly state - we played long ball. you also say ignore the conditions (dont know why)

You later in the thread state that we should play long ball because of the conditions. also state that above

You cant have it both ways

Agree totally about the constant bickering and lack of well structured debate.

but i'm not quite sure about the marmite analogy. I kind of like it just a little bit. It could be much better. But hate is too strong a word. As spreads go i think this forum's abit more like a 'mid market margarine' maybe flora ,but the buttery one and not spread to thickly.

Steady on Robbo, you'll have me blushing! (And Riaz, Pezo and BCFC Dan, for that matter).

Seriously, thanks for the (mostly) positive feedback and the point is taken about length - I readily admit that brevity has never been my strong suit. I would only say in my defence that it's not always possible to do justice to a complex issue in a few short sentences. I admire the ability of some people to be succinct and wish I could master it, but on the other hand the fact that they don't always take the time to explain their position fully may be what subsequently leads to misunderstandings and the very quarrels we've been talking about here.

As for expecting too much, again, point taken. I was born into a poor, working class Bedminster family where verbal eloquence was not exactly to the fore, but was lucky enough to grow up in an era when the state provided the funding for further and higher education. You are quite right to point out that not everyone has been so fortunate. I still think, though, that whilst "allowances have to be made", as you put it, with regard to the ability to express one's self, being deprived of a decent education does not excuse abusiveness.

I rest my case. Hope that was short enough and that nobody nodded off half way through.

Archived