IGNORED

Is Terry Cooper Unique?

Mr Mosquito

I believe that Terry Cooper has both played for and managed both us and the Gas. I can't think of any other person that's done that.

I also understand that Terry Cooper severely damaged his leg playing for Leeds against Stoke just as Paul Cheesley severely damage his leg playing against Stoke just a few years later. Beware of Stoke !!!!

As mentioned by others on another thread today, Terry Cooper was one of our greatest ever managers considering what he achieved for us with so little after the disaster of 1982.

Hail Terry Cooper !!!!! :winner_third_h4h: Terry Cooper's Red and White Army !!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

Hear Hear.

Can you imagine players today settling for fish and chips in the back of a mini bus on the way back from an away match!

Looking back at Terry Cooper's managerial career here at BCFC, I'm starting to realise what amazing feats he achieved with so little post 1982. That's the benefit of hindsight. When we won the Freight Rover Trophy in 1986 I believe the club was given a brand new Freight Rover Van as a prize and the club and players were thrilled with it. I can't imagine the pampered players these days being as pleased - they'd most likely want a top sports car each. :whistle2:

Terry Cooper's Red and White Army !!!!!!

Looking back at Terry Cooper's managerial career here at BCFC, I'm starting to realise what amazing feats he achieved with so little post 1982. That's the benefit of hindsight. When we won the Freight Rover Trophy in 1986 I believe the club was given a brand new Freight Rover Van as a prize and the club and players were thrilled with it. I can't imagine the pampered players these days being as pleased - they'd most likely want a top sports car each. :whistle2:

I echo your sentiments about TC & his achievements with City Goblin, but it has to be said that Freight Rover Vans really were terrible pigs to drive and run - my guess is that the 'thrill' of the club and players with the new van lasted about 50 miles!

Looking back at Terry Cooper's managerial career here at BCFC, I'm starting to realise what amazing feats he achieved with so little post 1982. That's the benefit of hindsight. When we won the Freight Rover Trophy in 1986 I believe the club was given a brand new Freight Rover Van as a prize and the club and players were thrilled with it. I can't imagine the pampered players these days being as pleased - they'd most likely want a top sports car each. whistle.gif

Top manager and gave us a set of players who gave their all for the club. The likes of Glyn Riley were limited in ability but as a fan you felt he was out there doing it for YOU!! Probably owing to what went on before but at no other time in my City supporting history have I looked forward to Saturday's so much as when Cooper was in charge and the club was back on the up.

Top manager and gave us a set of players who gave their all for the club. The likes of Glyn Riley were limited in ability but as a fan you felt he was out there doing it for YOU!! Probably owing to what went on before but at no other time in my City supporting history have I looked forward to Saturday's so much as when Cooper was in charge and the club was back on the up.

Can only echo those thoughts Glynn Riley and Steve Nevill upfront its true that time and the 70's feel are long gone ,its a fact of football and its greed today can remember seeing Rob Newman john Bailey Glynn Riley out in Weston often in those days . Terry Cooper was a fan's manager no side to the man at all could walk up and talk to him at any time if you passed him on a match day ,he gave THE CLUB SPIRIT in bucket loads and put City back on the road above the gas again.

I believe that Terry Cooper has both played for and managed both us and the Gas. I can't think of any other person that's done that.

I also understand that Terry Cooper severely damaged his leg playing for Leeds against Stoke just as Paul Cheesley severely damage his leg playing against Stoke just a few years later. Beware of Stoke !!!!

As mentioned by others on another thread today, Terry Cooper was one of our greatest ever managers considering what he achieved for us with so little after the disaster of 1982.

Hail Terry Cooper !!!!! winner_third_h4h.gif Terry Cooper's Red and White Army !!!!! winner_third_h4h.gif

When did he manage the GASH?

Well done Goblin, a true gentleman and manager was a true City legend ,sorry BUT GARY jOHNSON WILL NEVER BE AS POPULAR to the fan's that followed the club through those dark but in a way good days .Great thread to put on here dancing2.gif

Thank you Sir. I was disappointed to see the easy going and tracksuit dressed Terry Cooper leave. He was replaced by Joe Jordan in his smart suit. The club went onwards and upwards under Joe Jordan - but why the hell did Joe Jordan leave for Hearts with the job here half finished? Had he stayed and got us top flight football the Scotland manager's job - that he apparently craved - would surely have been his. Oh well, BCFC 1980 - 1990 must be the most rollercoaster history of any club in the football league.

I too love TC he turned our club around at a very low point in our history, He came to us having been cruelly discarded by the sags for no real reason, He had done a good job for them, That worked to our advantage my god he hated them, He put out sides that restored our pride, The 2-1 win at Eastville in the FA cup, The promotion day at Chester and the win against Bolton at Wembley are 3 of my all time favourite BCFC moments, I can't think of many harder working managers than TC. I will admit to more emotion whilst he was in charge than any other manager I can recall.

But I have to disagree about the money issue. TC was a great if not the greatest manager with no funds, However once funds became available and he started to pay fees for players, That's when the writing was on the wall for him.

Who can forget the £40,000 for Steve 'Rambo' Johnson (£40,000 was a fortune for us). Rambo would have made Baz Savage look good.

But I have to disagree about the money issue. TC was a great if not the greatest manager with no funds, However once funds became available and he started to pay fees for players, That's when the writing was on the wall for him.

I seem to remember 'cider head' of this forum also stating words to that effect about Terry Cooper - he said that Terry Cooper was no good with a cheque book if memory serves me corrrect.

I put Terry Cooper's great achievements here down to the fact that he was exposed to and learned from some great managers and players. He was part of Don Revie's great Leeds United team and also part of Alf Ramsey's England set up. Terry Cooper had a great football brain as a result and he was not afraid of hard graft and hard graft it must have been managing this club immediately post 1982.

I seem to remember 'cider head' of this forum also stating words to that effect about Terry Cooper - he said that Terry Cooper was no good with a cheque book if memory serves me corrrect.

I put Terry Cooper's great achievements here down to the fact that he was exposed to and learned from some great managers and players. He was part of Don Revie's great Leeds United team and also part of Alf Ramsey's England set up. Terry Cooper had a great football brain as a result and he was not afraid of hard graft and hard graft it must have been managing this club immediately post 1982.

Amen to that comrade, I still have wembley/Bolton dvd where TC has to walk away from the interviewer because he was in tears.

I too love TC he turned our club around at a very low point in our history, He came to us having been cruelly discarded by the sags for no real reason, He had done a good job for them, That worked to our advantage my god he hated them, He put out sides that restored our pride, The 2-1 win at Eastville in the FA cup, The promotion day at Chester and the win against Bolton at Wembley are 3 of my all time favourite BCFC moments, I can't think of many harder working managers than TC. I will admit to more emotion whilst he was in charge than any other manager I can recall.

Who can forget the £40,000 for Steve 'Rambo' Johnson (£40,000 was a fortune for us). Rambo would have made Baz Savage look good.

Ah, but what about £18,000 for Walshy, greatest buy of all time !

If I remember TC was given very little money at his disposal. Chris Garland included him and another manager who to be nameless who he didn't have some kind thoughts about. TC on the other hand did alot with little resources.

P.S. If you want to find out about the nameless manager you will have to buy the book.

I remember when TC was manager at Exeter, they were away at a northern club, a real long old 'poke' from home and I think they were losing 3-0 at half time, after the re-start TC walked around the perimeter and joined the 50 or so fans who were cold and wet and fed up and watched the second half with them, to feel their pain and to apologize to the fans for the performance, in an age when smashing up a night club or having a stupid haircut accords legend status to some TC was a proper legend.

Terry Cooper was at one stage simultaneously (and uniquely) a player, manager and director.

When the board sacked him as manager, did TC as a director take an active part in the discussion and how was he removed from the board he had been appointed to?

I remember queuing up for tickets the first Freight Rover Final.

When I got to the hatch at the side of the Enclosure to order my tickets I was stunned to find the bloke taking my money and handing over the tickets was TC himself.

Says everything about the bloke that even as manager of the club he was prepared to roll up his sleeves and do any menial tasks to help BCFC.

Edit: Turnip left himself logged in, this is Nogbad..

I remember queuing up for tickets the first Freight Rover Final.

When I got to the hatch at the side of the Enclosure to order my tickets I was stunned to find the bloke taking my money and handing over the tickets was TC himself.

Says everything about the bloke that even as manager of the club he was prepared to roll up his sleeves and do any menial tasks to help BCFC.

Terry Cooper was a man who understood the fans - far removed from the current incumbent.

Your three favourite BCFC moments match mine, brilliant days that will never be forgotten.

It makes me laugh when some people on this forum go on about how we should just settle for where we are in the league, doesn't matter the style of football. The season spent getting out of the bottom division rates as one of my favourite seasons.

That was wholehearted attacking football, rubbish at the back at times but great fun, like watching TC, against Reading, pick the ball up in his own penalty area, run the length of the pitch in what seemed like slow motion in a huge pair of baggy shorts, then completely out of breath, shoot wildly into the park over the open end. Everyone, from crowd to both sets of players splitting their sides with laughter.

Happy days. 

Your three favourite BCFC moments match mine, brilliant days that will never be forgotten.

It makes me laugh when some people on this forum go on about how we should just settle for where we are in the league, doesn't matter the style of football. The season spent getting out of the bottom division rates as one of my favourite seasons.

That was wholehearted attacking football, rubbish at the back at times but great fun, like watching TC, against Reading, pick the ball up in his own penalty area, run the length of the pitch in what seemed like slow motion in a huge pair of baggy shorts, then completely out of breath, shoot wildly into the park over the open end. Everyone, from crowd to both sets of players splitting their sides with laughter.

Happy days.

Agree with the above but even allowing for his wild shots over the Open End Cooper had more quality in that left foot of his than any other player on the pitch and, for that matter, any player in the City starting eleven ON SATURDAY.

I always remember Bradford Away early mid eighties (1-1 for the statoes) and I was with the players outside the ground, I walked up to Terry and said 'we gonna win today Terry' he looked at me like I was nuts and said 'I dont ******* know son' Top man didn't need optimism back then>>>>dancing2.gif eh

I also remember hearing someone shout over to Tom Ritchie Hey Tom found some muscle over hear dya want some...Classic (for anybody who ever stood next to TR back then)

winner_third_h4h.gifHe just gets better and better.yes.gif

My abiding memory of the 2-1 FA cup win at Eastville, Was the gas fans abusing TC as he approached the tunnel at the end of the game and TC just stopped looked up at the stand where the abuse was coming from and pointing to his City shirt and holding up a single finger, indicating that City were still the number one club in Bristol.

My abiding memory of the 2-1 FA cup win at Eastville, Was the gas fans abusing TC as he approached the tunnel at the end of the game and TC just stopped looked up at the stand where the abuse was coming from and pointing to his City shirt and holding up a single finger, indicating that City were still the number one club in Bristol.

When you think about it if we are going to have statues and memorials and plaques etc. for people who have done great things for this football club shouldn't Terry Cooper be right up there at the top end of the list?

Agree with the above but even allowing for his wild shots over the Open End Cooper had more quality in that left foot of his than any other player on the pitch and, for that matter, any player in the City starting eleven ON SATURDAY.

Yes, for younger readers of this post, the incident I was referring to where he fired a shot in to the park was when he was past his 40th birthday and he still had the skill to go past the whole of the Reading team. 

Archived