IGNORED

Is Terry Cooper Unique?

Mr Mosquito

When you think about it if we are going to have statues and memorials and plaques etc. for people who have done great things for this football club shouldn't Terry Cooper be right up there at the top end of the list?

As I said he brought the pride back into our club and also a work ethic.

At the post match interview at Wembley for the Bolton game, As I said he was in tears and bearing in mind what he had achieved with Leeds and England, He kept saying this is my proudest ever day in football, why he was asked "because this is my team, Clive (Middlemass) and I built this team". Clive Middlemass was our assistant manager/coach and TC allowed him to lead the team out on the day as well.

I believe that Terry Cooper has both played for and managed both us and the Gas. I can't think of any other person that's done that.

I also understand that Terry Cooper severely damaged his leg playing for Leeds against Stoke just as Paul Cheesley severely damage his leg playing against Stoke just a few years later. Beware of Stoke !!!!

As mentioned by others on another thread today, Terry Cooper was one of our greatest ever managers considering what he achieved for us with so little after the disaster of 1982.

Hail Terry Cooper !!!!! :winner_third_h4h: Terry Cooper's Red and White Army !!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

Fred Ford actually managed both City and the sags in the 60's.

Yes, for younger readers of this post, the incident I was referring to where he fired a shot in to the park was when he was past his 40th birthday and he still had the skill to go past the whole of the Reading team.

You actually witnessed the dying embers of a football talent that was good enough to get into Alf Ramsey's England side in 1970 - that were the World Cup holders at the time - and a football talent that was in the best Leeds United team of all time. In his day, Terry Cooper was a football talent way above anything we've seen play for us since the day Joe Jordan last pulled on our shirt at the end of his playing career.

Yes, for younger readers of this post, the incident I was referring to where he fired a shot in to the park was when he was past his 40th birthday and he still had the skill to go past the whole of the Reading team.

I'm another TC fan. When we had been relegated three years running and just before Christmas reached the bottom of the old 4th we really had reached rock bottom. Terry's arrival changed everything. I was a reporter at the time and he told me the first thing he taught the team was where to boot the ball when they were under pressure at the back - something previous managers had omitted. The turnaround in those days was the most fantastic fun, great attacking football and by then we really knew how to suffer, which meant we also really knew how to enjoy the good times...the first Wembley visit thrashing Bolton was a truly wonderful day.

Another hero from those days - at least for me - was the now much abused everyone's stand-in manager Mick Harford. As we plummeted through the divisions he ended up a both the only capable goal scorer and captain and he was pretty young then. And he had real guts and pride, holding the side together as best he could by sheer effort and pride. Hard to believe now I know, but he really was impressive then.

Do you know what, I can't stop thinking about TC at the moment.

I remember in one game, I can't remember when or what division we were in but we were at home and TC cut inside from his left back position scored with a screamer from his RIGHT foot and was the most shocked person in the stadium, All he could do was laugh uncontrollably, pretty much for the rest of the match, I think we might have won 4-1 and after his goal he was having a pop from all over the place, my god he certainly cheered the crowd up in the dark days.

Top manager and gave us a set of players who gave their all for the club. The likes of Glyn Riley were limited in ability but as a fan you felt he was out there doing it for YOU!! Probably owing to what went on before but at no other time in my City supporting history have I looked forward to Saturday's so much as when Cooper was in charge and the club was back on the up.

Scored +20 goals a season though.

Steve Neville is my favourite City player ever. Pure class. His goal on extra time against Hereford in the semifinal was pure class.

For a second time stood still.

I believe that Terry Cooper has both played for and managed both us and the Gas. I can't think of any other person that's done that.

I also understand that Terry Cooper severely damaged his leg playing for Leeds against Stoke just as Paul Cheesley severely damage his leg playing against Stoke just a few years later. Beware of Stoke !!!!

As mentioned by others on another thread today, Terry Cooper was one of our greatest ever managers considering what he achieved for us with so little after the disaster of 1982.

Hail Terry Cooper !!!!! winner_third_h4h.gif Terry Cooper's Red and White Army !!!!! winner_third_h4h.gif

Bob Houghton and Roy Hodgson?

Sorry missed "played for".

Happy days, Forbes Phillipson-Masters tightening the defence, Alan Crawford, Glyn Riley, Walshy, Pritchard, Trevor Morgan Bobby Hutchison to name but a few. JohnPalmer! Some great times, TC always seemed in tune with the fans, and the football was never dull. Definitely my favourite times watching City, after '82 expectations were low, success was appreciated, and Wembley in '86 was just a fantastic day out, and a great reward for those of us who stayed loyal throughout the 'Gory Years'.

When Cooper left, his time was up. His buys were a bit erratic, and the side needed someone who could tighten the defence in order to progress. His contribution to City should never be forgotten, and I will always be grateful to him for signing Walshy, my favourite City player of all time. The Walshy shuffle, so predictable, yet defenders always fell for it. Happy days indeed.

Happy days, Forbes Phillipson-Masters tightening the defence, Alan Crawford, Glyn Riley, Walshy, Pritchard, Trevor Morgan Bobby Hutchison to name but a few. JohnPalmer! Some great times, TC always seemed in tune with the fans, and the football was never dull. Definitely my favourite times watching City, after '82 expectations were low, success was appreciated, and Wembley in '86 was just a fantastic day out, and a great reward for those of us who stayed loyal throughout the 'Gory Years'.

When Cooper left, his time was up. His buys were a bit erratic, and the side needed someone who could tighten the defence in order to progress. His contribution to City should never be forgotten, and I will always be grateful to him for signing Walshy, my favourite City player of all time. The Walshy shuffle, so predictable, yet defenders always fell for it. Happy days indeed.

Signed from Darlington was it? Great guy :)

I'm a huge fan. Once wrote to him after we'd played brilliantly against the odds in some match and he sent me a handwritten reply explaining that he'd put my note on the board and asked the players to read it. We were a struggling and much smaller club in those days but it was a class gesture. TC was arguably the best full back in the world in his day. And on his day he played players 20 years his junior off the park.

In my younger days I wrote a homage to him in When Saturday Comes....And the Freight Rover win against Hereford, the promotion at Chester and "one nil down, two one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup"...are three of my better City moments.

A truly great man.

worship2.gif

Off topic but my first City game was Swindon (h) on the 5th of May 84 and we celebrated promotion on the pitch thank's to Pritchard.

People say Chester though? Mathematically??

It was Chester mathematically - after Trevor Morgan's winner. Just pipped Aldershot if I remember rightly.

Swindon was a great match..."we go to attack" was Coppers rallying cry as I recall.

I'm another TC fan. When we had been relegated three years running and just before Christmas reached the bottom of the old 4th we really had reached rock bottom. Terry's arrival changed everything. I was a reporter at the time and he told me the first thing he taught the team was where to boot the ball when they were under pressure at the back - something previous managers had omitted. The turnaround in those days was the most fantastic fun, great attacking football and by then we really knew how to suffer, which meant we also really knew how to enjoy the good times...the first Wembley visit thrashing Bolton was a truly wonderful day.

Another hero from those days - at least for me - was the now much abused everyone's stand-in manager Mick Harford. As we plummeted through the divisions he ended up a both the only capable goal scorer and captain and he was pretty young then. And he had real guts and pride, holding the side together as best he could by sheer effort and pride. Hard to believe now I know, but he really was impressive then.

Agreed, Mick Harford, along with Andy Cole and Bob Taylor are the three best strikers I have seen play for City, I remember Harford scoring from outside the box with a bullet header, 'keeper had no chance, he was the best header of a ball I have seen.

I always say, when asked, TC is my favourite City manager ever, but I have forgotten over the years some of the reasons why, the forum has come up trumps today with so many great stories about my City hero. Thanks.

Agreed, Mick Harford, along with Andy Cole and Bob Taylor are the three best strikers I have seen play for City, I remember Harford scoring from outside the box with a bullet header, 'keeper had no chance, he was the best header of a ball I have seen.

I always say, when asked, TC is my favourite City manager ever, but I have forgotten over the years some of the reasons why, the forum has come up trumps today with so many great stories about my City hero. Thanks.

who could forget City 2 West Ham 2 - "at times in the second half I thought I was managing Real Madrid"

or City 5 Torquay 0 - Crawf hat trick...barely anyone there...

Off topic but my first City game was Swindon (h) on the 5th of May 84 and we celebrated promotion on the pitch thank's to Pritchard.

People say Chester though? Mathematically??

Remember they had a piss poor right wing back with a moustache. Charlie "something". Only a question of time before Howard should score breaking in from the left wing.

Anyway.

Remember they had a piss poor right wing back with a moustache. Charlie "something". Only a question before Howard should score breaking in from the left wing.

Anyway.

Terrible journey. 8 hours with buss to Gothenburg and 24 hours on boat to Harwich. Then bus to the London hotel. Had paid to watch a West Ham game just to get on the journey but went off to Bristol.

But we celebrated promotion at AG! Promise. Did not even drink back then ;)

You are right, we did celebrate on the pitch after the Swindon game but we did need at least a draw at Chester.

It was in the days when the top four were promoted and I will never forget one fans banner at Chester saying " God said come fourth, so we did" brilliant.

Terry Cooper,Norman Hunter,Joe Jordan and Bob Taylor 4 true City legends all from the then mighty LEEDS UNITED there isn't a single City player in the current squad to match any of them ,King Bob's goals 50 in 106 games Norman Hunter coming out of the tunnel in the old grand stand giving his wave to the fans as he ran towards the east end . The Freight Rover final with Bolton Wanderers what a great day out flags,noise,3 goals Rob Newman with the trophy and Terry Cooper unable to speak,the game at Chester outnumbering the Chester fans by more than 2 to 1 happy days .

Archived