IGNORED

Iwelumo Signs

southvillekiddy

Not sure anyone knows yet. I can see GJ playing Angryman with him and adopting longball again. Hope not.

I'd like him to play alongside Clarkson with Sproule - who will run himself into the ground for this club - getting a start to try and work the flanks. (Note to Bradley Orr - please give the ball to Sproule asap without cutting inside all day).

I agree about Sproule (and Clarkson), I can't see what he has to do earn a regular starting spot. We always look twice as dangerous when he's on the pitch.

I'm not turning this into an anti-Agyemeng thing, but why does he get to start 4 games without scoring, whereas other players live in a 'get a one chance and you're out' scenario?

I think you're right though, long ball looks the order of the day.

:disapointed2se: Stoke 2000/04; 84 app- 15goals; :fastasleep: loaned to York 12 app - 2 goals, loaned to Chelt 4 app - 1 goal; Brighton 10 app 4 goals.

What a ridiculous post. Iwelumo's last two seasons show his real worth.

IMO this is a top signing, the one I'd have liked last summer, perhaps the poster above still thinks we should have waited for Brooker to be fit, as he used to keep posting that there was something sinister behind GJ not selecting him.......

16 goals 27 games last season not bad in my book would surely have been more if not for injury. Also scored goals in the championship in a struggling Colchester side, then again as they say time will tell.

14 league goal in a very strong side who had two real wingers in Jarvis and Kightly, Andy Keogh providing and partnered with SEB pulling markers all over the place. Wolves utterly trounced this division with 90 points and 80 goals.

We've brought him in to hoof the ball at him so don't expect anything like the same.

He's a better option to hoof at than any we have currently but that's not what we should be doing if we want to get out of this mess.

14 league goal in a very strong side who had two real wingers in Jarvis and Kightly, Andy Keogh providing and partnered with SEB pulling markers all over the place. Wolves utterly trounced this division with 90 points and 80 goals.

We've brought him in to hoof the ball at him so don't expect anything like the same.

He's a better option to hoof at than any we have currently but that's not what we should be doing if we want to get out of this mess.

We were outclassed and outplayed by Ajax in the pre season friendly. A game in which....ahem....all we were doing was hoofing the ball forward in the hope that one of our forwards would latch on to it - without Dele Adebola it didn't work and we lost 0-4. Nothing seems to have been learned from that game by our coaches and management as we still often revert to hoofing and thus giving the ball away.

Reading between the lines, Southvillekiddy maybe worried that Gary Johnson may fall out with Iwelumo the same way as he has - apparently - with so many other players that have been dropped and left out under mysterious circumstances. Not good man management and I can understand why the likes of Southvillekiddy and Co get frustrated with Gary Johnson.

What a ridiculous post. Iwelumo's last two seasons show his real worth.

IMO this is a top signing, the one I'd have liked last summer, perhaps the poster above still thinks we should have waited for Brooker to be fit, as he used to keep posting that there was something sinister behind GJ not selecting him.......

You nearly called me a name then didnt you :me?: time will tell anyway as they say; nice to see you have been following me anyway :o

Why don't you try looking at his stats for the last 5 years instead? His goal scoring record in the Championship is very good

You can be so selective with your statistics it is quite worrying. Everything is twisted or skewed to fit your opinion to try to win points on an internet forum

For someone so "old" its actually pretty childish

Ageist and name calling eh :disapointed2se: the first line would of been enough, without the personal stuff :(

Anyone knocking this signing must be mad. Yeah hes had a bad injury nad hasnt played much this season, but when fit over the least two years he has been quality. Im still really surprised he has agreed to come to us even on 1 month loan. He is definitely the best player in the position we can realistically get. Plus although he is a big lad he is still pretty good on the deck. Preseason everyone on here was screaming for us to sign him.

If he stays fit and still doesnt score then its official... its the midfield not creating the chances, not the strikers. There can be no dount that Iwelumo and Maynard on paper is one of the top 5 strike pairings in this division. Granted we all know football isnt played on paper though.

Am i right in thinking you can extend a emergency loan if all parties agree?

At bloody last! Somebody who has at least been there and done it in this league. It will be absolutely fascinating to see how he fares in the strikers' graveyard that is AG these days. If he ends up starved of chances and looking completely ineffective, it should finally settle the argument once and for all about where the roots of the scoring problem lies, but for the greater good of the club I hope this does not turn out to be the case. He might not be Alan Shearer, but he is a good, solid, experienced pro who will do a job for you given a half decent service.

We'd better hope he makes a difference, because there's no doubt in most people's minds now that the plot has well and truly been lost for the moment (let's hope it is that temporary) and we are sailing into very dangerous waters. Southville is quite right: chickens are well and truly home to roost, as some on this site have been predicting would happen, not just for weeks or months, but in some cases a couple of seasons now. (And that is not a self-congratulatory reference to myself - I only joined last summer).

Southville is quite right: chickens are well and truly home to roost, as some on this site have been predicting would happen, not just for weeks or months, but in some cases a couple of seasons now. (And that is not a self-congratulatory reference to myself - I only joined last summer).

Southvillekiddy is right but I'd prefer to use the turkeys have come home to roost analogy.....GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE....

turkey-756922.jpg

Change the record Nibor, If you think that Bristol City are a long ball team then you shouls spwnd time watching other championship teams. ANY other manager in this league will tel you that BCFC like to play football. Like i said yesterday, a long pass into the channel is not long ball football. Long ball football is puting 2 big lumps up front ( like wimbledon used too ) and get your midfield to send high up and unders up to them all afternoon, not hitting a thirty yard pass into a big strikers feet to hold and bring others into play. Unfortunatly we play the right balls into space but Maynard is too lightweight and gets knocked off the ball, and Anyemang is too slow to come and collect as Stern John was, Adebola wasn't clever enough when he did get the ball so i think Iwelumo is going to be a very good signing. After he has played 6 games to settle, i will be supprised if he hasn't done well

It looks to me with a forward line of Iwelumo and Agyemang that Delboy is going back to first principles in his coaching career - i.e. Cambridge and Route 1. Get the ball forward early and win the second ball - cannot wait!! Looks like the computer systems at Lulsgate Air Traffic Control will be all over the shop when we are playing at home now!! Johnson is likely to play "percentages" football to keep us in this league (I'm sure he realises we are in the mire unlike some of the blind faithers on here) - which will make it two whole seasons with very little decent football to write home about.

Change the record Nibor, If you think that Bristol City are a long ball team then you shouls spwnd time watching other championship teams. ANY other manager in this league will tel you that BCFC like to play football. Like i said yesterday, a long pass into the channel is not long ball football. Long ball football is puting 2 big lumps up front ( like wimbledon used too ) and get your midfield to send high up and unders up to them all afternoon, not hitting a thirty yard pass into a big strikers feet to hold and bring others into play. Unfortunatly we play the right balls into space but Maynard is too lightweight and gets knocked off the ball, and Anyemang is too slow to come and collect as Stern John was, Adebola wasn't clever enough when he did get the ball so i think Iwelumo is going to be a very good signing. After he has played 6 games to settle, i will be supprised if he hasn't done well

You've misunderstood the point. We're NOT a long ball team but the manager's reaction to anything not working is to try and make us play like one. If we were a long ball team we'd get results like that but we've categorically proven it doesn't work for us and adding Iwelumo will not change that

We have a specific problem with full backs who hoof too much and that should be fixed by putting someone in on the wing in front of them to give them an easy option not buying a six and a half foot forward who is pretty poor on the ground to encourage them to aim at him.

If you want to play 30 yard passes into feet then Iwelumo is not the player you want, his close control is terrible. He's a head on a stick. We've got him up front with Agyemang today - both players GJ brought in for their "presence" (read height and strength) - and all we will do is hoof it, to little success. What we should be doing is dumping the shittastic wing backs idea, playing a solid 442 or 4411 away and keeping possession of the ball to build confidence.

Since we've got a half decent midfield today we may be able to hang on but if we keep pumping the ball up and losing it we'll be under constant pressure.

It looks to me with a forward line of Iwelumo and Agyemang that Delboy is going back to first principles in his coaching career - i.e. Cambridge and Route 1. Get the ball forward early and win the second ball - cannot wait!! Looks like the computer systems at Lulsgate Air Traffic Control will be all over the shop when we are playing at home now!! Johnson is likely to play "percentages" football to keep us in this league (I'm sure he realises we are in the mire unlike some of the blind faithers on here) - which will make it two whole seasons with very little decent football to write home about.

Exactly what that forward line says to me too. How we can put Agyemang on the pitch with Clarkson and Haynes on the bench is beyond me. Bringing in Iwelumo is just a panic move and we all know GJ reverts to direct pap when panicked.

When have we been playing all of this "football" then because I haven't been seeing it? There are THREE styles of football, not two, if you want to have a discussion on that. Route 1 is what you say it is (i.e. Wimbledon). Knocking the ball early into the channels all afternoon is DIRECT football and then there is the type of passing football that Swansea play that we all believe to be "proper football". We seem to play a mish mash of all three with no clear direction or pattern to it as far as I can see.

Archived