IGNORED

Official Managerial Announcment - Millen Given 4 More Games

Dynamite Red

I know that but he will go to a bigger, better club that Bristol City.

Yep, I doubt he will even have a slight interest in;

• A club much closer to his Bournemouth home
  • A larger fanbase
  • A potential for a much larger fanbase
  • A new training ground
  • A brand new 30,000 seater stadium to look forward to
  • A chairman who is willing to back his manager in the transfer market

If he were to come here, it would be a move very similar to the one he made when moving to yourselves from Bournemouth. I wouldn't rule it out.

I don't know how to put this, but we're kind of a big deal.

I'm thinking he will go to a club that has a realistic chance of the Premier League, or one that actually is in the Premier League rather than a club getting over excited after reaching the play offs 2 seasons ago.

He turned down Burnley so I see no real reason as to why he would go to Bristol

I'm thinking he will go to a club that has a realistic chance of the Premier League, or one that actually is in the Premier League rather than a club getting over excited after reaching the play offs 2 seasons ago.

We'll be threatening for the premier league before long, wait and see. And as for reasons why he would come here, see Evy11's post for more details.

Yep, I doubt he will even have a slight interest in;

• A club much closer to his Bournemouth home
  • A larger fanbase
  • A potential for a much larger fanbase
  • A new training ground
  • A brand new 30,000 seater stadium to look forward to
  • A chairman who is willing to back his manager in the transfer market

If he were to come here, it would be a move very similar to the one he made when moving to yourselves from Bournemouth. I wouldn't rule it out.

I would say that sums up the situation very well. And as I think someone else has commented, it would also be a move not altogether unlike the one Gary Johnson made when coming here from Yeovil.

No he didn't, Burnley just wouldn't agree to the compensation package.

Yes he did. Burnley offered him the chance to take the job if he resigned from his role here. That would have meant that the compenation required by Burnley would have been significantly less than the amount John Ryan wanted. Listen to O'Driscoll's interview after the Burnley saga for proof and further details.

And as to reasons why he wont join Bristol...

1) May 2009 - you announced record losses of over £6.5m. We broke even last year.

2) You're spending over £60m(?) on a new 30,000 capacity stadium. Currently your average is less than 15,000. The cost of this stadium and recent big money signings (Maynard seems to be the only real success) seems to have massively cut your transfer budget.

3) SOD knows how lucky he is to have a board as patient as we have here. It would have to be a massive step up for SOD to leave us. The step up from Rovers to Bristol City is not as big as you think.

Yes he did. Burnley offered him the chance to take the job if he resigned from his role here. That would have meant that the compenation required by Burnley would have been significantly less than the amount John Ryan wanted. Listen to O'Driscoll's interview after the Burnley saga for proof and further details.

1) May 2009 - you announced record losses of over £6.5m. We broke even last year.

2) You're spending over £60m(?) on a new 30,000 capacity stadium. Currently your average is less than 15,000. The cost of this stadium and recent big money signings (Maynard seems to be the only real success) seems to have massively cut your transfer budget.

3) SOD knows how lucky he is to have a board as patient as we have here. It would have to be a massive step up for SOD to leave us. The step up from Rovers to Bristol City is not as big as you think.

Actually, I don't think there's any intention on the part of anyone here to be disrespectful towards your club, or to imply that we're in a significantly different league to you in terms of size, fan base or whatever. I would, though, suggest that we're justified in claiming a moderately greater potential. I don't know anything about your chairman or board. They sound like a realistic, level-headed bunch, but Steve Lansdown is a very wealthy, successful, but unflashy businessman who, like your board, also believes in gradual long-term progression and sensible, sustainable investment. A move from Donny to us would of course not be "massive", but if O'Driscoll took a similar view of his own career development to that of our respective chairmen, it would actually make a certain amount of sense. I also would not rule it out.

1) Steve Lansdown

2) Ambition

3) Steve Lansdown is patient

no one is saying that its a huge step up - far from it - but look at it long term. We have a realistic chance of getting into the prem - Doncaster dont - finances wise - you cant invest what it takes.

1) We have a terrific chairmen who is willing to back his manager with his OWN money - does your board do that? billy sharp anyone?

2) we have a stadium coming - attendances are low now - but wait until we reach the prem ;)

did you break even or was it because of donations from Ryan as it has been before?

I think more than one of our signings has been a success given we've allready been in this league 3 years and will be here for a 4th. Will you?

Yes it is a big step from Doncaster to us. how many season tickets have you sold for next season?

I dont see the fuss over O'driscoll anyway, as i said in a previous post yes he has done well considering as a club you dont have much going for you but i still think we need somebody that has experience of getting out of this division..

Just out of interest DRFC were do you see yourselves going when he does leave? You seem to be punching way above your weight, i mean come on lets not beat around the bush you have always been a lower league club yes.gif

I'm not doubting your story, in fact I'm sure I read that myself. Would have been a completely different story had Burnley offered to pay the full compensation, as we would.

1) A lot of that was for planning the stadium. Not really sure what that proves either, just shows how ambitious Lansdown is to make us a Premier League club.

2) Lansdown understands that a new manager is likely to want some of his own players and is very likely to back them. IMO he'd have no problem in paying out the £1.5m Sheff Utd want for Billy Sharp, with others on top of that.

3) I'm not saying the gap is big, but there certainly is a gap. As I said earlier if he did move, it would be very similar to the move he made to you from Bournemouth. Probably not a massive gap, but a gap big enough to realise he could take his new club further.

This may sound arrogant but I think we're a better proposition for SoD than Burnley. He'd have taken over a club very much in decline in terms of results and had little time to make a real impact. He then could have found himself back in the C'ship next season no better off. I mean Brian Laws ended up with the job FFS, that tells you everything about Burnley's potential and ambition.

I also think you're over-selling SoD a bit. Is an established Premier League club really going to take a gamble on him? Don't think so somehow. English managers rarely get a look-in in the top flight these days unless they have outstanding CV's. SoD spent 6 years at Bournemouth not spectacularly over-achieving and has now done a very good job at Donny. 52 years old, I really do not think he'd be on the radar of most Premier League Chairman.

SoD and BCFC would be a good match and if we can bring him to AG before the season's out then that would be useful as we'd miss the summer managerial merry-go round when I'm sure other C'ship clubs would be taking a look at him.

It would have to be a massive step up for SOD to leave us. The step up from Rovers to Bristol City is not as big as you think.

I don't want O'Driscoll, you can keep him. In my book all he's done is lift a poxy little club up way above their station. If I were him I'd walk to Bristol.

Oh and by the way - Brooker, Heffernan, Byfield - next time someone isn't cutting it at Ashton Gate we'll give you a call, OK? :bruce_h4h:

I don't want O'Driscoll, you can keep him. In my book all he's done is lift a little club up way above their station. If I were him I'd walk to Bristol.

Oh and by the way - Brooker, Heffernan, Byfield - next time someone isn't cutting it at Ashton Gate we'll give you a call, OK? :bruce_h4h: I retract the word 'poxy' - that was unneccessary.

Please remember that our resurgence is as much down to Johnson leaving as it is to do with Millen's management. I hope and pray that SL learnt his lesson with the Tinnion appointment. Nothing at all against Millie, just don't think he's ready yet.

Curbs would be my number 1 choice, failing that I trust SL will make an astute decision on what else is actually available.

For the hundredth time, what has Tinnion's appointment got to do with this? Millen is a top-qualified coach with six years experience as an assistant manager, three in the Championship. Tinnion had none of that. There is no comparison. Managers with far less experience than Millen have been successful, so why think he is 'not ready'. Lansdown knows him far better than we do, and I am confident that Lansdown will make the right decision when the time comes, and if that is Millen then I will have no complaints at all.

I see on another thread you called us deluded. Er, Hello.

Maybe you'd like to do some research before making stupid statements. like the above.

Ah but isn't Burnley a bit ...... OOPP NORTH still ? Perhaps he fancies a change from the Flat cap wearing whippet huggers.

Please remember that our resurgence is as much down to Johnson leaving as it is to do with Millen's management. I hope and pray that SL learnt his lesson with the Tinnion appointment. Nothing at all against Millie, just don't think he's ready yet.

Curbs would be my number 1 choice, failing that I trust SL will make an astute decision on what else is actually available.

Agreed in order to progress I personally think we need a proven manager such as Curbs!

Agreed in order to progress I personally think we need a proven manager such as Curbs!

tins did not have anywhere near the experience that milly has had as assistant. Lets not tar the man with the same brush. Give the fella a chance. I'm right behind this 'rolling contract

' and reckon that if city finish with 65 points or more this season he should get the job.

Archived