IGNORED

Bristol City Threaten To Ban Firework Hooligans

bcfczd

I'm sorry but letting off fireworks inside a stadium is dangerous and unlawful as well as totally unacceptable. If they can identify who did, of course they should be banned - do you really believe any different would be overkill? To allow that without more than a slap on the wrist would be utterly absurd.

I don't know how old you are tinman, but letting off bangers at City matches is hardly a new thing, so I'm assuming you're fairly young to be so indignant.

Bangers were regularly let off at matches in the East End in the 70's and 80's as Bonfire Night approached - it was a regular, traditional part of the seasonal celebrations.

Always followed by a massive roar and renewed atmosphere and never heard of anyone being injured or arrested over it.

I'm surprised anyone is so outraged about a few bangers at a football match but it seems that's the legacy of a decade and more of Labour's P.C., health and safety, nanny state with it's ban everything and everybody attitude which has made many of the younger generation so dull, risk averse, quick to condemn, and compliant.

Harmless prank by the sounds of it - no one was hurt, or was likely to have been, so if the need is really felt to identify anyone then a telling off would suffice.

Going by that Bristol city should be banned then?

If done in a controlled manner it adds to the atmosphere.

100.jpg

FIRES.jpg

As you said, if done in a controlled way then it's fine. They clearly weren't on Saturday as they were let off by blokes in a terraced end full of fans unaware of what was going on, who all looked as if they had spent a few hours in the pub beforehand, hardly a 'controlled' explosion!

I don't know how old you are tinman, but letting off bangers at City matches is hardly a new thing, so I'm assuming you're fairly young to be so indignant.

Bangers were regularly let off at matches in the East End in the 70's and 80's as Bonfire Night approached - it was a regular, traditional part of the seasonal celebrations.

Always followed by a massive roar and renewed atmosphere and never heard of anyone being injured or arrested over it.

I'm surprised anyone is so outraged about a few bangers at a football match but it seems that's the legacy of a decade and more of Labour's P.C., health and safety, nanny state with it's ban everything and everybody attitude which has made many of the younger generation so dull, risk averse, quick to condemn, and compliant.

Harmless prank by the sounds of it - no one was hurt, or was likely to have been, so if the need is really felt to identify anyone then a telling off would suffice.

I started going regularly in 1997 so will admit that I have never really seen/heard it at a game before. It did add to the atmosphere, and I do take exception to being part of a dull young generation brought about by Labour, I can tell you that I dislike the Labour party under Blair and Brown more than you can possibly imagine. Also, working in a school, I too share your frustration about health and safety, but this incident does seem to have gone past what is adding to the atmosphere and wasn't acceptable IMHO. Obviously we have a difference of opinion but I cannot see that that group of fans were doing it in a controlled manner, and it didn't strike me as the most constructive way of supporting my team.

Essentially, if you don't think anything was wrong with this, firecrackers should be a legal item to bring into a football ground - is that really right?

As you said, if done in a controlled way then it's fine. They clearly weren't on Saturday as they were let off by blokes in a terraced end full of fans unaware of what was going on, who all looked as if they had spent a few hours in the pub beforehand, hardly a 'controlled' explosion!

if it was deliberately chucked at someone then yeah it's out of order but i don't believe this was the intention , considering what goes on in scotland and abroad this is blown out of proportion

if it was deliberately chucked at someone then yeah it's out of order but i don't believe this was the intention , considering what goes on in scotland and abroad this is blown out of proportion

Trouble is, if this wasn't cracked down on, and was allowed to continue, and firecrackers were brought into a ground when we are away to Rovers, would you want to take the risk that they could be used in a violent way? I know its a risk I wouldn't want any football club to take, which is why these individuals have to be punished.

God ban them all and those making any noise at once fastasleep.gif

No harm was done all it did was improve the atmosphere and what an atmosphere it was at that, top effort from all chant6ez.gif

Agreed, we need more things like this to improve the atmosphere, especially at away games. I went to Reading the other week and that was enough to put you off following City away worst away atmosphere i can ever remember, best part of the day was the banter on the train !

Long may this sort of thing continue worship2.gif

Trouble is, if this wasn't cracked down on, and was allowed to continue, and firecrackers were brought into a ground when we are away to Rovers, would you want to take the risk that they could be used in a violent way? I know its a risk I wouldn't want any football club to take, which is why these individuals have to be punished.

Get a grip man!! Thats not likely to happen is it ??

Its not called the Daily Fail for nothing...

Steward was not pushed, he stumbled as a result of being too close to a group of lads who were having a laugh on a Saturday afternoon after a few sherbets.

Bangers, noise aside, are pretty much harmless unless it goes off in someone's hand/face etc. The way its being talked about it almost sounds like industrial scale fireworks were being fired off at all angles...

city.gif I did see one bloke with a small kid ask to leave the area where the fireworks were going off and was taken to the seats.

We have to remember that this is one of the reasons that the bar is closed at places like Reading,we have that element that follow city that hark back to the bad old days.

city.gif I did see one bloke with a small kid ask to leave the area where the fireworks were going off and was taken to the seats.

We have to remember that this is one of the reasons that the bar is closed at places like Reading,we have that element that follow city that hark back to the bad old days.

Back to the bad old days, what when a bunch of lads are singing, making a noise, and jumping up and down, it's called an atomosphere fella.

I think maybe you have your "elements" mixed up here. This lot are out to improve the atmosphere I would suggest.

Hopefully the club won't go ott. Then again, as Eddie Hitler said earlier in the thread, they have to say this to cover themselves- similar to when they always request us not to go on the pitch when there is something to celebrate.

On a broader point of atmosphere though, despite the undoubted improvements with 'East End Ultras', 'Forza EastEnd' and more voiciferous atmisohere in general really- I would still say we lack behind a deal of Europe in this country. Safe standing would be nice...

Hopefully the club won't go ott. Then again, as Eddie Hitler said earlier in the thread, they have to say this to cover themselves- similar to when they always request us not to go on the pitch when there is something to celebrate.

On a broader point of atmosphere though, despite the undoubted improvements with 'East End Ultras', 'Forza EastEnd' and more voiciferous atmisohere in general really- I would still say we lack behind a deal of Europe in this country. Safe standing would be nice...

TRUE! compared to the rest of the world england sucks for football atmospheres and a banger going off is like a balloon popping when compared to this around the world

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vCXH6swfu-U

I agree that from a safety perspective these people are in the wrong, but to suggest they should be banned FOR LIFE is a little over the top.

If we find out its a bunch of kids who got them from the joke shop and got a bit over-excited, do we really need to do that?

I agree a ban of some sort is probably fair, but for life?

TRUE! compared to the rest of the world england sucks for football atmospheres and a banger going off is like a balloon popping when compared to this around the world

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vCXH6swfu-U

Well I don't know about anyone else but I think that all looks amazing and the fact it now seems there is more atmosphere at a football game in America is something we should be deeply embarrassed about and something I find a little depressing. All because we the people have allowed our government to ban anything anyone says might be unsafe or could offend anyone.

I agree that from a safety perspective these people are in the wrong, but to suggest they should be banned FOR LIFE is a little over the top.

If we find out its a bunch of kids who got them from the joke shop and got a bit over-excited, do we really need to do that?

I agree a ban of some sort is probably fair, but for life?

Sorry, I don't think any ban is justified, they were creating a atomosphere, not throwing punches or trying to hurt anyone. H&S has gone way to far IMHO.

Sorry, I don't think any ban is justified, they were creating a atomosphere, not throwing punches or trying to hurt anyone. H&S has gone way to far IMHO.

Do you really think fireworks in a restricted space is OK? H&S is a pain in the arse, but to suggest this isn't in some way dangerous is wrong.

I've played with enough fireworks in my time to know how close you can come to having an accident.

Middle-aged men with 5 or 6 pints in them letting off fireworks around children and families? Get real.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I think that all looks amazing and the fact it now seems there is more atmosphere at a football game in America is something we should be deeply embarrassed about and something I find a little depressing. All because we the people have allowed our government to ban anything anyone says might be unsafe or could offend anyone.

True, i think if clubs, the council/government and fans all tried to work together then things can only improve, clubs could designate area's to do what european clubs do and those people not wanting to get involved but like to see from a-far can enjoy it in safety, a controlled way of doing things working with clubs should be the way foward not banning fans trying to make a difference, all this health and safety is going way to far the other way on balance.

Do you really think fireworks in a restricted space is OK? H&S is a pain in the arse, but to suggest this isn't in some way dangerous is wrong.

I've played with enough fireworks in my time to know how close you can come to having an accident.

Middle-aged men with 5 or 6 pints in them letting off fireworks around children and families? Get real.

Fireworks? Or firecracker?

The former is designed to make pretty sparks, the latter a loud noise.

It's not like they were firing rockets at people or tying children to catherine wheels is it?

Fireworks? Or firecracker?

The former is designed to make pretty sparks, the latter a loud noise.

It's not like they were firing rockets at people or tying children to catherine wheels is it?

They both contain gunpowder and there is risk of injury. I know it sounds like being a killjoy, but they aren't totally risk free are they, especially chinese ones.

If I take my kids to a football match I don't really want a buch of well-meaning (I mean that) lads having an accident (however minor) with fireworks and getting caught up in it. Its human nature to push the boundaries too. Let in firecrackers and mini-rockets will follow.

They're not allowed so if someone wants the rules changed, go via the proper channels.

EDIT: I ought to add - If I was still 16 I'd be all for the powers that be allowing us to take them in. I've grown up, I've got kids. Does anyone who's taking their children think it makes sense to allow them? I'd be amazed.

Forgetting the fireworks issue for a minute.... just having good old fashioned terraces makes the atmosphere 100% better! It was a sad day when the terraced 'enclosure' was turned into an all-seated area, even worse when they decided to use it for sponsors only, in the area where we had regularly stood for years! :disapointed2se:

Fireworks? just imagine if a dozen fans decided to take one of those ****-off flares each, I think Capital punishment would be returned!

True, i think if clubs, the council/government and fans all tried to work together then things can only improve, clubs could designate area's to do what european clubs do and those people not wanting to get involved but like to see from a-far can enjoy it in safety, a controlled way of doing things working with clubs should be the way foward not banning fans trying to make a difference, all this health and safety is going way to far the other way on balance.

The only problem I find with working with these people are that they sometimes don't really care about the health and safety aspect of it, that's just a front and after a bit of digging you find out the real reason they do it is for control and power so when you start negotiating with them you usually end up having to give up more than you first realise and you end up with a 1/2 realised dream. For example they usually take some broad goal like wanting fireworks and bastardising the hell out of it to the point where its just some pathetic fireworks around the players as they come out of the tunnel completely disconnected from any fans and done in an overly controlled manner to "add to the spectacle" for the TV cameras, completely missing the point that what we wanted was to set fireworks off at a football ground in relative safety (because no one wants anyone to get hurt, which is what we can all agree sets the group at Peterborough aside from Hooligans) but essentially we want to do it and we want to do it when we want anything else is just a 1/2 cut idea.

They both contain gunpowder and there is risk of injury. I know it sounds like being a killjoy, but they aren't totally risk free are they, especially chinese ones.

If I take my kids to a football match I don't really want a buch of well-meaning (I mean that) lads having an accident (however minor) with fireworks and getting caught up in it. Its human nature to push the boundaries too. Let in firecrackers and mini-rockets will follow.

They're not allowed so if someone wants the rules changed, go via the proper channels.

There is a risk in everything you do and of injury just by being at football and there is a massive risk of injury or death by travelling to football, are you saying we should ban cars because they are not risk free? I know what your saying and my example is a old trotted line but if its fun surly that makes it more important to do it rather than less.

Archived