IGNORED

Bristol City Threaten To Ban Firework Hooligans

bcfczd

Football in this Country has gone soft, in fact the whole of the Country has gone soft because of H&S, and the actions of mindless chavs who ruin it for everyone.

Going to see Football in Europe, is a far more hostile environment. You very rarely get families going, just blokes. If families do go, they sit away from the Ultras.

I also follow Lazio and often travel to games around Italy watching them. Standing in the Curva Nord when it's full on, is a Hair raising experience and an Adrenalin Rush.

It sometimes resembles a Medieval battlefield. If you want to experience your football like the 'old days' of the 70's and 80's, get a cheap flight to Italy, Holland, Germany or any of the old Eastern Bloc countries.

It's cheaper over their too. A mate of mine goes to watch his footie in Slovakia. 3 Euros to get in, with a free pint of lager.

The big difference, imo, is it all kicks off at the Football in Europe, but in general, you don't find the Drinking, fighting chav culture that we have in Britain during the week.

You go out to a bar, have a drink with your mates, but no one acts like a dick, gets senseless drunk and causes trouble.

We've really screwed this country up. It's a dull, boring, Big Brother is watching you, H&S led Culture, that is dying on it's feet.

The stupid thing is, if you acted like a footballer does on the pitch, kicking, swearing, spitting, being abusive and aggressive...you'd get thrown out the Stadium and banned.

When the Club and Manager and players are asking for some atmosphere it's a joke.

Anyway rant over...but Football in this country sucks.

You also sit down and they come and serve you. No standing at the bar waiting to be served. I 'kin hate that.

They both contain gunpowder and there is risk of injury. I know it sounds like being a killjoy, but they aren't totally risk free are they, especially chinese ones.

If I take my kids to a football match I don't really want a buch of well-meaning (I mean that) lads having an accident (however minor) with fireworks and getting caught up in it. Its human nature to push the boundaries too. Let in firecrackers and mini-rockets will follow.

They're not allowed so if someone wants the rules changed, go via the proper channels.

EDIT: I ought to add - If I was still 16 I'd be all for the powers that be allowing us to take them in. I've grown up, I've got kids. Does anyone who's taking their children think it makes sense to allow them? I'd be amazed.

I don't expect life to be risk free, I think it would be bad if it were when you consider Darwin's law.

I think people need to have some personal responsibility rather than expecting regulations and rules to act as cotton wool.

But that aside, if I was taking kids I'd stand away from the boisterous group of lads?

Why should the lads who enjoy that sort of thing have that curtailed because someone might not be able to look after their kids?

I'm not saying I think it's a great idea, or advocating everyone hurling firecrackers around for 90 minutes, I just think the reaction to it is completely out of proportion.

Football in this Country has gone soft, in fact the whole of the Country has gone soft because of H&S, and the actions of mindless chavs who ruin it for everyone.

Going to see Football in Europe, is a far more hostile environment. You very rarely get families going, just blokes. If families do go, they sit away from the Ultras.

I also follow Lazio and often travel to games around Italy watching them. Standing in the Curva Nord when it's full on, is a Hair raising experience and an Adrenalin Rush.

It sometimes resembles a Medieval battlefield. If you want to experience your football like the 'old days' of the 70's and 80's, get a cheap flight to Italy, Holland, Germany or any of the old Eastern Bloc countries.

It's cheaper over their too. A mate of mine goes to watch his footie in Slovakia. 3 Euros to get in, with a free pint of lager.

The big difference, imo, is it all kicks off at the Football in Europe, but in general, you don't find the Drinking, fighting chav culture that we have in Britain during the week.

You go out to a bar, have a drink with your mates, but no one acts like a dick, gets senseless drunk and causes trouble.

We've really screwed this country up. It's a dull, boring, Big Brother is watching you, H&S led Culture, that is dying on it's feet.

The stupid thing is, if you acted like a footballer does on the pitch, kicking, swearing, spitting, being abusive and aggressive...you'd get thrown out the Stadium and banned.

When the Club and Manager and players are asking for some atmosphere it's a joke.

Anyway rant over...but Football in this country sucks.

You also sit down and they come and serve you. No standing at the bar waiting to be served. I 'kin hate that.

It does look a lot more fun watching football abroad sometimes (wouldn't mind going to a Boca Juniors game, looks mental over there). I had a season ticket at Nice in France for a couple of years and the atmosphere was good, although it felt a little articifial - they had a couple of guys who spent their whole time with their backs to the game starting chants with megaphones. Felt like they were almost trying too hard to create some "ultra" atmosphere.

However, regarding your point on Italy and Lazio, haven't attendances been dropping for years now, partly due to all the trouble at matches? I've read the authorities in Italy have been looking to copy what we've done in England in terms of policing in and around the grounds. Hope this doesn't ruin the atmosphere.

I guess the best would be some sort of middle ground. As someone said above, we need limited safe standing areas in all grounds (or at least areas where people can stand next to their seats). There should be areas in all grounds where people can sit peacefully and safely with families, and areas where people stand, set off fireworks and jump around. At the moment, only 1 type of fan is officially catered for...

But that aside, if I was taking kids I'd stand away from the boisterous group of lads?

Why should the lads who enjoy that sort of thing have that curtailed because someone might not be able to look after their kids?

For reasons already stated. It ain't safe.

If people could be trusted and there was a clear fireworks 'area' I could see some logic.

Unfortunately some City fans can't be trusted to look after themselves let alone the greater good when in posession of fireworks.

Would you agree, for example, that it would make sense for 'some' City fans to have them when Cardiff fans visit the Wedlock stand?

For reasons already stated. It ain't safe.

If people could be trusted and there was a clear fireworks 'area' I could see some logic.

Unfortunately some City fans can't be trusted to look after themselves let alone the greater good when in posession of fireworks.

Would you agree, for example, that it would make sense for 'some' City fans to have them when Cardiff fans visit the Wedlock stand?

I wouldn't care whether they did or didn't because I wouldn't be stupid enough to stand in between them.

I just think the question should always be "why should it be banned?" rather than "why should it be allowed?"

There is very little risk in firecrackers - IMO not enough to justify the well OTT response or any talk of banning.

Sorry to be sensible here, but as many fans on here have already said the fireworks made them jump out of their skins. Has anybody considered that some of the older generation hearts wouldn't be able to take it? Don't we have a fan called Ivy Haines who is near old 100 years old who follows City everywhere away?

Forget the health and safey aspect (which I believe is rubbish anyhow), I reckon you could end up with a Manslaughter charge if someone dropped dead with a heart attack!

Ivy Haines is in fact 106 and no longer travels to away games. The matter here concerning the fireworks is that they were let off not far ffrom where the disabled Bristol City fans were sat which is UNFORGIVEABLE.................... Don't let these people give the decent fans a bad name........ The noise when the first one went off was so loud I thought someone had been shot!! Did not do my ticker any good either!!!

Ivy Haines is in fact 106 and no longer travels to away games. The matter here concerning the fireworks is that they were let off not far ffrom where the disabled Bristol City fans were sat which is UNFORGIVEABLE.................... Don't let these people give the decent fans a bad name........ The noise when the first one went off was so loud I thought someone had been shot!! Did not do my ticker any good either!!!

They were let off in the extreme corner of the stand occupied by sixty lads singing Tom Thumb!

totally agree with spudski check out this video of napoli fans landing in rome absolutely mad

Further to that Footage... Did you know those 1500 Napoli Ultras, actually Hijacked the Napoli to Rome Train. Then told approx 250 fee paying (non footballing related passengers), that it was advisable to leave the Train. They caused 1.5 million worth of damage and roughed up the Train staff.

You go to the Football in Italy, knowing it will kick off, and that there is a big risk of being hit by the Police.

The Police will charge and hit anything in their way, even if you are not causing trouble.

They wear full body armour and face masks. They have no identification marks or numbers. If you get walloped by the Police there is no way of identifying the Copper who cracks you over the head.

All cultural, Political and local area frustrations, are demonstrated at the Football Ground. It is a self contained, Policed, Demonstration, that happens at every Italian ground each Sunday afternoon.

The rest of the week, you live in a Peaceful environment, with no Binge drinking Chavs in the streets and Bars.

Imo, it's a better way of life. It's a way of letting of steam, from a weeks pent up frustrations, done in a couple of hours at the ground.

The Craziest one i've witnessed was this...

smuggle in a vespa...set fire to it...then lob it down the stand

I'm on this one...Great days out :D

They were let off in the extreme corner of the stand occupied by sixty lads singing Tom Thumb!

Is that the one with the same tune as "Tom Hark"?

I was opposite end of terrace and several fans came over to our side after the first one went off...muttering about the tw4ts in the corner letting off fireworks

Personaly dont care much but things like this are banned end of (thanks to the glorious hooligans of the past) - and the those involved knew they were banned and therefore should accept any punishment that comes their way

<br />I agree that from a safety perspective these people are in the wrong, but to suggest they should be banned FOR LIFE is a little over the top.<br /><br />If we find out its a bunch of kids who got them from the joke shop and got a bit over-excited, do we really need to do that?<br /><br />I agree a ban of some sort is probably fair, but for life?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree with the sentiment of the start of your post, as someone else has said, the noise may well indeed give young kids a fright and you have to be sensible, but surely any sort of ban is just way over the top????? Should i have been banned for life for smuggling a small bottle of vodka on to the stratton bank at Swindon many moons ago???? No.

I just find this story funny really.

I cannot believe that people feel any sort of official action is needed to be taken! I understand the point about the POTENTIAL dangers of letting off a banger, but is anything more than a 'be sensible boys' really needed???

Also, where has the word 'hooligan' come from in respect of this?This may be fuzzy logic, but i wouldn't class people involved in this as 'hooligans'. Seems to me it's just a throw away word which people/journalists can hide behind these days, when anything out of the normal (or their expected view of 'normal') happens.

Fail to see why it's any different letting them off near disabled people than for anyone else?

It is definately not giving city fans a bad name in any way. A few firecrackers went off that only make a loud bang and that's it. I think there brilliant and would love it if there used more regularly.

<br />Ivy Haines is in fact 106 and no longer travels to away games.  The matter here concerning the fireworks is that they were let off not far ffrom where the disabled Bristol City fans were sat which is UNFORGIVEABLE.................... Don't let these people give the decent fans a bad name........  The noise when the first one went off was so loud I thought someone had been shot!! Did not do my ticker any good either!!!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm sorry, why exactley would they have a bad name??

Maybe a bit poorly thought through, but hardy public enemies number 1 (or any number for that matter).

I'm wondering if Bristol city have said anything about banning? it's not on the main website or even has millen made those comments??? as it would not make him very popular with sections of fans, don't make that mistake, stick to the on pitch matters, should learn this from GJ innocent06.gif

It Just seems to be very poor article trying to discredit our football club disapointed2se.gif

I wasn't there and I love fireworks generally, but to say that there is no risk in letting off fireworks in a crowded public place is just dumb.

Of course if they're small and lit carefully the chances of a serious injury are small, but surely in a crowd, and with drink involved, the risks rise. The people involved also risk injuring themselves.

More importantly. if you let people get away with it, the escalation to really dangerous flares could easily happen. I remember getting stuck with Croatian fans in Budapest when they were firing flares on to the pitch - not fun or funny.

Sorry but the PC approach is the right one here (and I agree it often isn't).

Can anyone remember the incident at the Wolves Newcastle game in 2003? (it was big news at the time) Before a Live Sky TV game a rocket from a controlled firework display shot across the pitch rather than up in the air and hit a spectator in the face causing him to nearly lose an eye.

http://www.independe...ils-585344.html

I was at the Wales v Rumania World Cup game in 1995 at the old Cardiff Arms Park when someone was killed by a rocket fired across the ground into the stand after the final whistle.

Can anyone remember the incident at the Wolves Newcastle game in 2003? (it was big news at the time) Before a Live Sky TV game a rocket from a controlled firework display shot across the pitch rather than up in the air and hit a spectator in the face causing him to nearly lose an eye.

http://www.independe...ils-585344.html

Why is that relevant to this thread?

They were firecrackers let off on Saturday, not fireworks.

And the difference is ?? They are all pyrotechnics

The thread is about fireworks at football matches.... Come on keep up

And this shows how powerful the media really is.

I was stood about 5 yards away from the fella and no way were they fireworks.

Just as per usual, the media blows things out of proportion.

And the difference is ?? They are all pyrotechnics

The thread is about fireworks at football matches.... Come on keep up

Your correct they are both pyrotechnics but the difference between fireworks and firecrackers is massive. For a start a firework is a rocket that is fired in a direction (hopefully away from people) which could be potentially dangerous while firecrackers unless held against skin when they explode really wont do any damage and just make a bloody loud bang.

There is a big difference between fireworks and firecrackers when assessing the potential for an accident, which is what I understand were discussing, the simple matter of fact is that fireworks are considerably more dangerous than firecrackers

Archived