IGNORED

Millen For Manager's Job Or Not?

bcfcmike

Simple Question in your opinion  

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me its no!! i feel for that push for the promised land we need someone with experience, and im not just talking about managing our present squad, for me its attrating new players weather that be loanee's etc etc.....

I don't think its the right time.

If we were in Peterbroughs position then I would be happy for Millen to take over as a good finish to the season would set us for next season and is basically the cheap option. But if we want to progress we need fresh ideas. Johnson and his back room staff did a great job making us an established championship club. Something when he joined we could only dream of.

Landsown decided it was time to go in a different direction so a new man is required to bring a new team with him otherwise should have stuck with Johnson and his back room staff.

When Johnson gets a new job where are their loyalties going to lie with him or us?

A ludicrous poll that seems to be attracting narrow-minded and prejudiced fans, and I hope that most City fans avoid it.

How about an option of - So far Keith Millen has done a very good job, achieving 3 good results with good football, and making very sensible decisions. The 4 game extention is totally deserved, and there will be a strong case for extending this assuming we are safe by the end of April. Keith has served a good managerial apprenticeship at City in recent years. As a mere fan, I have no idea of his contacts etc., nor do I know if he is ready and able to take the step up to full time Manager. The next few weeks will give a clearer indication of that, and hopefully, the Board will make a balanced decision based on candidates available, cost and credentials. Any Managerial appointment is a gamble, and is as much about picking the right person at the right time as CV. Happy to wait until the end of the season, and trust the judgement of the Board.

As I have noted elsewhere, recent history is against the theory of Premier League management experience being a benefit in terms of gaining promotion from the Championship. Oh, and the new Manager must not, under any circumstances, employ relatives in key roles!

We do not no who has applied for the job, So if no suitable applicant has applied and km doing such a great job then why not. I don't think SL is the sort of bloke who is going to go chasing someone with a open check book, And rightly so,some people on here think we are some massive club with a right to be in the prem..there are bigger clubs in the league below ..saturday is a big game and a good result and a few to follow i think he should be given the chance to start nx season,, given a good chance yes long contract no. I think untill the new stadium is built i think this divison is great

For me its no!! i feel for that push for the promised land we need someone with experience, and im not just talking about managing our present squad, for me its attrating new players weather that be loanee's etc etc.....

Can you add a undecided option ? as I don't care who in charge of the ship as long as the ship is going in the right direction !

It's tough on Keith but to me there is too much of the Tony Fawthrop/ gang of three about the situation.

Steering a club with decent but p*ssed off players through a handful of games at the end of a tough season cannot be compared with the CV of a manager like Burley who has been there and done it over many years.

Bit of a harsh poll, would have liked to see 3rd option like.... keep him on?

I don't think he wants it does he? Would like to see him stay on at City though, he's clearly a top class coach, I think he's had opportunity's to coach at top Prem teams, but likes it at City, I hope he stays here either way.

I heard someone question his commitment given he is still not sure if he will apply.

I find that harsh. He is in an impossible situation -

1) Do apply, and if you dont get it, makes your position as no.2 untenable, lose your job

2) Dont apply and you probably get the boot when the new man and his team arrive, lose your job

3) Apply, and get the job, and get an incredibly short margin for error, people link you with the shortcomings of the previous 2 managers, lose your job.

Which ever way things go, lets wish him every luck for success for as long as he is able to be a key part of Bristol City.

Its a no from me!

To be honest my opinion of the man has changed this last week or so. Its clear the players respect and work for him !

Dont want to see him out of a job, but do want to see a tried and tested Manager at the helm!

Well done Keith ! :clapping:

I don't think he wants it does he?

All the noises he's making suggest to me that he does.

I think he's had opportunity's to coach at top Prem teams, but likes it at City

Never heard any mention of that anywhere.

He's doing a very reasonable job as a caretaker, but that's all it is, even if it seems many of the players would be happy to see him appointed the permanent manager. However, that in itself would sound alarm bells for me.

SL has stated City have been inundated with "dozens of quality applicants" for the manager's job at Ashton Gate - is it really feasible that Keith Millen would be a better choice to take BCFC forward than every single one of of them?dunno.gif

He's doing a very reasonable job as a caretaker, but that's all it is, even if it seems many of the players would be happy to see him appointed the permanent manager. However, that in itself would sound alarm bells for me.

SL has stated City have been inundated with "dozens of quality applicants" for the manager's job at Ashton Gate - is it really feasible that Keith Millen would be a better choice to take BCFC forward than every single one of of them?dunno.gif

Aye, I think I said on other thread somewhere he would have fearsome competition if he applied, I think his coaching credentials are 2nd to none, but I really didn't think he would want it, maybe he didn't and now he's got the buzz ? We'll have to wait and see..

Cant find the article now, may have even been on here, but sure I read that he was offered positions at top flight clubs in a coaching capacity, anyhow, his CV does not include management of a first team full time, and I suspect SL's in tray will be brimming with applicants, some of whom have probably won Trophy's in their managerial career.

I doubt SL will discriminate in any way if KM did apply, would be no special favours, and it would be on merit alone, for that reason alone I think it would rule him out.

I didn't want to mention Tinnion, but...once bitten twice shy?

Unlike you to be so succinct (no offence). Care explain why?

I've written too many words trying to get my point across, so now I'm trying the succinct approach :cool2:

But to expand (you knew it was coming, didn't you :laugh:):

Millen is primarily a coach and, IMO, not a particularly good one (contrary to what many think on here).

The bottom line, for me, is that we need a figurehead - someone who can attract good calibre players to the club. If Lansdown has altruistic intentions of moving this club into the top tier, he should be trying to put in place people who have the ambition and drive to match his own - someone who has the same vision and aspirations.

Millen doesn't come across as someone who could live that dream with Lansdown - he's too ...erm... "nice" and always gives me the impression of being a bit of a 'yes-man' (he would have to be to work under Johnson's enormous ego).

Please no. Respect to Keith for steadying the ship. But 3 games doesn't make him the right man. He claims to have the experience and knowledge required, but I can't see it. Sure he knows the club as well as anyone. But I see no sense in appointing a man who has never managed a club full time before when there are 'quality managers' interested and willing to take the job, according to Steve Lansdown. I just hope that it doesn't turn into another Tinnion-esc fiasco. If Keith is given the job, then I can only see it as a lack of ambition on the part of the club, seeing as though there are so many others interested.

It's a no from me, but with the noises coming from SL in the last few days it unfortunately seems to be a yes from him. Not a good state of affairs in my book. As anyone who has read my previous posts will be aware, I pray for it to be Coppell, but would also be content with Curbishley or Burley.

How often, if ever, will City be looking for a manager at a time when such quality candidates are on the market? I have never known it to be the case in my lifetime of supporting City and I doubt it will happen again in a hurry. Alas, given that the three aforementioned are all currently unemployed, I believe that if any of them were serious contenders in our chairmans eyes, they would either have already been appointed or at the very least be on the verge of it.

SL is not stupid. He has clearly given Millen the next four games in the hope that the results will be as favourable as the last three. Then he can take the cheap option, claiming that he has no option, and save himself a huge wad of cash. As a businessman, I can't say I blame him. I dare say playing safe has helped to make him his fortune. As a City fan, which let's not forget that he is, I take serious issue. As shrewd a businessman as SL is, and as well as he runs Bristol City, I do not believe that a football club can be run totally along the same lines as a business. I believe that sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. Yes, employing the likes of Coppell, Curbishley or Burley will mean a significant outlay for SL, but should they get us to the Premier League, which I can't honestly see Millen achieving, he may very well never have to fund us again.

Finally, can I just say that despite a couple of rants in the last few days, I do not wish to be seen as anti-Millen. For what it's worth I think he has done (so far) a splendid job as caretaker, he comes across as a lovely bloke and he clearly has Bristol City at heart. I would love to see him stay at the club in some capacity under a new man. If he does leave, I would very much like to see him succeed as a manager elsewhere. I just don't see him as the man to take us forward, and if as I suspect he does get the job, IMHO the BEST we will be able to expect is to stand still in the Championship. What is the point of that? (Unless you are Portland Bill).

A no no for me. Yes weve took 7 out of 9 points and played more tastier football since he took the driving seat and yes ime all for SL giving him the 4 games now were safe from the pisspot league. Millen is assistant manager material and in my view should stay in that role, hopefully with city alongside the new gaffer when appointed.

Time for a metaphor (or anology whichever way you see it)

Think of Millen being a top notch electrician. He's now been asked to temporarily do a plumbers job. Any sparky can plumb in a few pipes to start with. Eventually however laying complex pipework for a long time would eventualy catch him/her out and result in a complete mess.

My point being that i think Millen could keep results going our way, but as soon as it comes to transfers and contracts etc things will start to slide.

I would like to think SL wouldn't appoint someone who, in an online poll, 91% of fans didn't want as manager.

He should also realise that results after a mangaer has departed aren't a true gauge of how the new manager is doing 

Thanks Keith but no.

I like and he is doing well, but a. this is what happened with Brian Tinnion and I wouldnt want that to happen. b. we need to push for promotion and KM would struggle. Its not about results now its about press, pressure, players, performance, profit. Its too early for all that no matter how good a motivator you are. c/f Martinez in Wigan.

Archived