IGNORED

Williams Stand - Feather In Red Hat Chap

Geoff65

I saw Stoney at Reading this year. He was getting very emotional...thought he was going to burst a blood vessel at one point. Showing true passion.

I really can't see how Football Clubs, the Police and Stewards expect us to sit and watch emotionless, when 22 players are kicking, screaming, shouting, swearing, spitting, threatening and being aggresive in front of us. Then the managers are swearing at the ref as well...If we behaved like the managers and players, we would all be thrown out.

Football is a complete joke these days.

I thought this happened in the first half, long before we even scored?

Morning kingpin, I have just spoken to Stoney and he said they did chat to him in the first half but also when we scored, so you are correct mate.

The "stoney" do some Sunday league referee? Because I swear he was ref for when I played in knowle

on stewards I haven't seen the responce team in the EE for a while now they were 1st class cocks

Yes he was a referee, drinks up Broad Plain House social club.

Yes he was a referee, drinks up Broad Plain House social club.

I have seen Stoney around the City ground for years. I also know him as a referee and he gained publicity by being sponsored as a referee (probably tell you what type of person he is!).

I was at Birmingham City last season and I saw Stoney run up to a assistant referee and I heard Stoney use foul language towards him. He was rightly told by a steward to calm down. I would never want to dampen Stoney passion for the club because I know he can be a top bloke. However, we want to encourage families to the game and I am sure we wouldn't want young children watching individuals behaving in an outrageous way. It would be nice to hear the stewards' side of the argument. I am sure if he behaved himself in the right way, he wouldn't have been spoken to?

Interestingly, I had to chuckle to myself when I read a previous post. Someone remarked that one of the stewards (short bloke with a moustace in the Williams Stand) is a miserable so and so. I try to catch his eye but he never even looks at you!

I have seen Stoney around the City ground for years. I also know him as a referee and he gained publicity by being sponsored as a referee (probably tell you what type of person he is!).

I was at Birmingham City last season and I saw Stoney run up to a assistant referee and I heard Stoney use foul language towards him. He was rightly told by a steward to calm down. I would never want to dampen Stoney passion for the club because I know he can be a top bloke. However, we want to encourage families to the game and I am sure we wouldn't want young children watching individuals behaving in an outrageous way. It would be nice to hear the stewards' side of the argument. I am sure if he behaved himself in the right way, he wouldn't have been spoken to?

Interestingly, I had to chuckle to myself when I read a previous post. Someone remarked that one of the stewards (short bloke with a moustace in the Williams Stand) is a miserable so and so. I try to catch his eye but he never even looks at you!

I really don't understand this comment...

So it's ok for the kids to watch 11 players behave like a pack of gutless Wolves and surround an official, swearing and acting aggresively? But, one bloke, letting steam off to a linesman is not?

Parents can see week in week out, on TV and at the grounds, how players and managers act. Why take the kids if you see it on the pitch and expect to see it, but moan about fans doing the same.

It's all Double standards.

The only way it will stop, is if the Police interevene on the pitch.

If i grab an opposing fan by the throat and act aggressively towards him, I would be arrested.

If a player does it, nothing happens. What's the difference? Does the pitch have different laws to the rest of the land?

It's all Bollox imo, and the reason a lot of fans can't be bothered to go anymore.

I really would totally second this motion? For everything that Stoney has done for this club, the guy should have some notice of appreciation bestowed upon him and an honorary life time BCFC season ticket would be the sort of suitable reward to a TRUE THROUGH AND THROUGH CITY LEGEND. If not put Stoney in charge of the stewards!!!! Now that would soon sort out a few of the little jumped up people (being very politically correct just in case either Dave L or any kids are reading!!!!)

Have I missed anything here? whats Stoney actually done for our club? dont mean this in a narky way, just intrigued as to what I have missed

Have I missed anything here? whats Stoney actually done for our club? dont mean this in a narky way, just intrigued as to what I have missed

If you look on cidereds, there is a interview with him on there, and tells you what he has done for the club, from entertaining and looking after sponsers, running the players bar, matchday entertainer, running the lottery in the 80's and much much more, and never ever asked for a penny, except free addmission on matchdays.

I really don't understand this comment...

So it's ok for the kids to watch 11 players behave like a pack of gutless Wolves and surround an official, swearing and acting aggresively? But, one bloke, letting steam off to a linesman is not?

Parents can see week in week out, on TV and at the grounds, how players and managers act. Why take the kids if you see it on the pitch and expect to see it, but moan about fans doing the same.

It's all Double standards.

The only way it will stop, is if the Police interevene on the pitch.

If i grab an opposing fan by the throat and act aggressively towards him, I would be arrested.

If a player does it, nothing happens. What's the difference? Does the pitch have different laws to the rest of the land?

It's all Bollox imo, and the reason a lot of fans can't be bothered to go anymore.

I agree that it does smack of double standards. However, the referee can/ should control players conduct on the pitch and stewards and police can/ should control behaviour off the pitch. There have been occasions when the police have intervene with issues on the pitch, although this is rare because there is, of course, a context. However, I agree that actually both players and supporters alike should conduct themselves in a better way. One can blame the players for the abuse referees receive. Afterall there is a shortage of referee in our game and most cite abuse as the most influential factor as to why they decide to turn their back on the hobby.

I would like to point out that Stoney is/ was himself a referee- says it all really.....

If you look on cidereds, there is a interview with him on there, and tells you what he has done for the club, from entertaining and looking after sponsers, running the players bar, matchday entertainer, running the lottery in the 80's and much much more, and never ever asked for a penny, except free addmission on matchdays.

fair point then, just wondered thats all.

He used to work at my place (before my time), but I heard a story about him once scoring a goal for a team....when he was refereeing! quality

Though I have no axe to grind with this geezer, I have to say that I once went with my girlfriend to a City match at the Vetch Field and sat a couple of rows behind Stoney Garnett and Paul Cheesley and the language was so bad that it put my girlfriend off attending away matches ever again!

Cheesley always was loud......tumbleweed.gif

Though I have no axe to grind with this geezer, I have to say that I once went with my girlfriend to a City match at the Vetch Field and sat a couple of rows behind Stoney Garnett and Paul Cheesley and the language was so bad that it put my girlfriend off attending away matches ever again!

She didn't write to DaveL the other week did she?

Oh dear. glad my girlfriend lives in the real world!!

I only asked as I was shouting at the stewards to leave him alone - as to swearing, I think I gave some of the directors a bit of a shock when we scored as I celebrated with a " get the Fu** in", if the stewards had said anything I would just tell them I learnt it all from the 11 year old who sits a few seats behind me, as he is always at it...

All this swearing bollox is just pathetic led by our "it's for the sake of the kids" DaveL. Not seen the stewards having a go at Stoney before, hence the original question.

Don't we think that things are getting a bit out of hand down the ground? I mean quoting from a previous post, 'this is a working mans sport', where everyman and his dog comes to support the mighty team that is Bristol City. There is nothing better than being able to to sing, shout, cheer, boo and yes swear, after a bloody hard weeks graft. I know many a person who will bring the Mrs or children (Not sure about both at the same time though, could be a bit much. :laugh:) to a game and soak up the atmostphere the ground produces. I mean whats next, 'sorry no singing allowed' or 'do you mind not not talking when the game is on, its against club policy!' Please get a life!

I know some people do go over the top, but just a little gentle 'sorry my friend, do you mind just toning it a little, there are children around' with a nice smile, WILL get the desired affect. Or heres an idea, what about the stewards carry charity tins with them and if THEY here someone swear, that person is punished by donating. Surely that would generate laughter when people seeing people having to put into 'The swear box' and it would help tone down the language a bit.

And regarding the stewards, do they not like working at Ashton Gate? I can garantee that if they if they showed a little more respect to people who pay there wages (The fans) they would get a lot of respect back. A smile really does go a long way.

This is not 'Dafarms' but his bruv.

It just seems to me that DaveL is doing the bidding of some unseen Government control freak or has been parachuted into the club to persuade us to comply with various Government edicts. Let's not forget also that our Government act illegally and is composed of known liars and criminals. Of course DaveL isn't to blame for all seater stadia and CCTV but he has published an impassioned article denouncing swearing at football. Swearing has been part of football culture all my life - why is it suddenly an issue ?????!!!!

There is swearing in the heat of the moment and then there is just constant foul use of the mouth. If you sit anywhere near atyeo, Block E up top, you'll know what I mean.... When fans get bored of it and women are saying hold on a minute, you know it has gone to far.

I took my 6 year old daughter down to the Gate for the first time on Saturday, and she's more fearsome than any steward. The chap sitting behind her was a bit sweary, so my daughter just turned around and stared quizically at him for a few seconds. He seemed to pipe down a bit after that :laugh:

As we are now finding in the eastend (to where the supporters trust are to write a letter of complaint) we are

finding selective treatment to certain types of fans at ashton gate and the way we are treated when trying to

get theme days up and running. http://www.forzaeast...p?showtopic=358

If you have never seen Stoney at game quite simply you don't go very often. Always resplendent match days in suit and red hat topped of with a feather although Stoney did take to wearing a Burberry chequered jacket memorably for a time. Stoney is a part time comedian and a Bristol City legend who worked for City for twenty three years along with thirteen as part of Bath City FC's commercial department. His on stage humour might be a bit risqué for a few but those who know the man would say there are few more dedicated to Bristol City fc, smitten with football or more genuine blokes. Always ready to have a chat about all things Bristol City and shake your hand. In Bristol parlance he really is a proper bloke.

http://www.bcfc3lion....uk/page23.html

Q = Stoney what was your first game?

A = Fifty years ago v Blackpool.

Q = How many City games have you watched?

A = Well over a thousand as I simply love it. Over nine hundred in twenty three years till I was ummm banned by City.

Q = Any chance of getting banned by City again this season?

A = Hope not. The true story was never printed although I did not commit any offence. At one point I was even banned by Bristol City sine die.

Q = Do you still work for City?

A = No.

Q = When you worked for City what was your role?

A = I was never officially employed by Bristol City but for twenty three years I worked on match days without being paid apart from getting free admission which in the seventies was only fifty pence. I was the clubs official comedian, match day host, working with the clubs lottery, running the players bar, organising parties, looking after match day sponsors and I even went down the shops to get the sponsors their fags. One day I recieved a letter telling me I was no longer a fit person to represent Bristol City as a match day host from from Colin Sexton. I did send a letter in reply but I recived no response. The club did not even tell me to my face I was no longer wanted. It was about personalities and new people coming into the club.

Q = If given the chance would you work for City again?

A = Yes, Without question. I would happily dedicate the rest of my life working for Bristol City and I know I could attract sponsors to Bristol City FC.

Q = Describe the Stoney Garnett look?

A = Smiling comic gent.

Q = Your parents could not have dressed you like that did coincide with you starting to work in clubs?

A = Of course it was. Quite simply I tried to give myself a chance on stage. You only have minutes to make an impression and when I walked on the audience would think "WHAT THE F##K IS THAT"! That would give me a chance.

Q = So what have been the highs and lows of watching City?

A = Promotion in 76 relegation in 80 and 81, 82!

Q = If you had to pick a decade to watch football in which would it be?

A = 70's. The games plastic now.

Q = What did you feel about the season ticket increases and pay on day prices?

A = Disgusting! Easy pickings like the police. Reward for loyalty?

Q = I can recall you presenting Tinnion with a ball signed by fans on his 500th appearance at Notts County on the pitch. How did you feel for the man when City got beat 7-1 at Swansea?

A = Utterly gutted for the man !! HE IS a nice bloke!!

Q = You are mates with quite a few players old and new like Tinnion, Murray and Sir Paul Cheesley what are they like as people and is there anybody who should be mentioned?

A = They are proper people. Cheesley will do anything for you, Scotty just goes STOOONEY STOOONEY all the time. Gibson, Speedy Drysdale proper.

Q = Stoney I have heard a story that you were nearing the Vetch for a FA cup game with Sir Paul Cheesley. City's firm were fighting with Swansea fans and they stopped to let you both through. True ?

A = Absolutely true. Amazing!

Q = You were out in Riga for City's tour what was it like?

A = I had a great time. The standard of football was ok but it's the experience. I like of being somewhere a bit different to watch my football. Could have done without the kiddie getting shot in the head with an air rifle but match day was fantastic. I was so impressed with all our fans in Latvia It really touched me seeing all the City flags around the square and blokes I have known for years abroad with our club, I had a lump in my throat, tear in my eye. City should have been photographing that, portraying all those flags in Latvia promoting those scenes, showing that passion we have for our club at home and abroad and tapping into it. Sexton should be selling that passion we have all around but I feel the club have lost their way there and don't look at that as being important. Football is about passion, people, characters!

Q = First time abroad watching City?

A = No no I went to Riga last year, tours before, Anglo Italian and Anglo Scottish cup if that counts.

Q = What did you think about the opening of the East End?

A = About f#### ing time too. I love all that, hearing our fans singing, let's encourage more of it.

Q = Any chance of getting you into the East End for a game?

A = Love to be a guest. I am a fanatic and I like being surrounded by them. Can I have a picture with those flags? I would do a walk pitch side if I was allowed and lead a few of the old songs. Can I have a picture with those flags?

Q = What do you think of Johnson's signings?

A = We could have not asked for much more. Elliot was superb Saturday, up and down all game, got a tackle on him and we have missed that, Vamoos/ Vasko/ /Vilmos/Who/ Vamos is big and will be ok but he's a squad player, Sproule looks good, quick if we get to see him but Murray will keep him out, McCindoe can beat a man and Trundle will be the Le Tissier of the championship.

Q = Murray or Sproule?

A = Murray, he is fitter than he has been for years.

Q = You are a mate of Murray though?

A = Yes and this season he will be a revelation I am telling you. Been one of the best players in pre season, he's fit again and back towards what he was. He will rip em apart again.

Q = Last time City were promoted the club was down in a season. What do you think is a realistic target this time?

A = Stay up. With the squad we have, go out and play like we are going for promotion and attack as it what fans want. If City are in the bottom ten with that run in we have City are f###ing doomed. Lets have a go every game.

Q = What's the team going to be for Saturday? (CITY V QPR)

A = Well this is what I would put out although Brooker would be in if fit for Jevons along with McCombe for Keogh.

..................BASSO..............

WILSON..........KEOGH......CAREY...............MCALLISTER..

MURRAY........JOHNSON............ELLIOTT..............MCINDOE

.......TRUNDLE.........JEVONS

And yes they will win!

Q = Now the very serious question question. If a man walks into a pub and orders a Magners with ice should he be chucked out of the bar?

A = Yes. P###k. Ask for a Blackthorn.

Q = Last One, has to be asked, what's your favourite joke?

A = I have told this one many times - I was walking up Whiteladies road, as I neared the top towards Bristol Zoo hundreds of people came running towards me. I stopped this women and asked her what was going onand she screamed "A LION HAS ESCAPED FROM THE ZOO"!. "I asked which way is it going"? The women replied "WHERE DO YOU THINK I AM F###ING RUNNING"?

SONER.jpg

I took my 6 year old daughter down to the Gate for the first time on Saturday, and she's more fearsome than any steward. The chap sitting behind her was a bit sweary, so my daughter just turned around and stared quizically at him for a few seconds. He seemed to pipe down a bit after that :laugh:

See, no need for aggretion. Maybe she can go and train the stewards. :laugh:

Stoney is my old man, and when City scored he jumped around and done his little dance, a muppett of a steward came up to him and told him to calm down, and mentioned something about swearing, which was total b******s. The stewards have a personality clash with him , and are trying their hardest to get him ejected. Next season he will be coming in the Dolman with me and my son, because he is sick to death of the harressment he keeps getting in the Williams. The stewards are a ******g disgrace and I have told him to make a offical complaint, but him being who he is, does not want to make a fuss.

Get him in the club doing a few funnys before the game mucker........

A few years back, my company sponsored the "boot room" bar under the Williams for about four years.

Stoney would host the place for us, doing a 20 min comedian spot, bringing in the man of the match, a football quiz and generally make people laugh.

And done it all for nothing, just perhaps a pint.

Blokes a legend!

Stoney is a top bloke, it's a real pity that gentrification of football is pushing characters like him out. I don't want to encourage families at that price. I'd rather have blokes taking their sons when they're old enough to enjoy it and keep the characters.

I sit behind Stoney in the Williams. He is always good value during the game. He has an obsession with getting players to stand on the half way line when we are defending a corner. It was during such an outburst that the steward asked Stoney to sit down and stop swearing. I did not hear him swear.

After we scored, Stoney got up and jumped around like the rest of us, but put a handkerchief in his mouth to show that he was not swearing or making to much noise.

I may not be a fan of his humor when on stage (some of the topics are a bit non pc) but I do beleive in freedom of expression and being able to let things go during a match. Sometimes it is the only release from our normal lives.

I sit about 4 rows behind him, the hankerchief in the mouth when we scored was a classic ..

it will be a shame if he moves seats, his little dance is a wonder to behold as well.

and NO he didn't swear, and a lot of us behind him made that very clear to the steward.

It really touched me seeing all the City flags around the square and blokes I have known for years abroad with our club, I had a lump in my throat, tear in my eye. City should have been photographing that, portraying all those flags in Latvia promoting those scenes, showing that passion we have for our club at home and abroad and tapping into it. Sexton should be selling that passion we have all around but I feel the club have lost their way there and don't look at that as being important. Football is about passion, people, characters!

Couldn't agree more

Possibly one of the underlying issues regarding stewarding, I suspect, is how many of them are actually direct employees of BCFC?? Stewards used to be city fans doing a low paid job whilst getting a bit of free footie on the side, I believe this is changing under the new safe & sound regime.How much affinity for the fans/club can be exhibited by people just doing a low-paid job?? I have heard there are many changes for stewards being mooted none of which helpful. This is only hearsay so I am not in a position to elaborate,I`d rather a steward with proper knowledge of this could comment.

I would say that I have had reason to make complaints about the club via Dave L and I have found he gives prompt and courteous responses,and gets you to the right person.

My view is that if you are not prepared to complain don`t expect things to improve.

CTID

Now is it me and yes I appreciate there are always two sides to every story but I find it very worrying in "Cider Heads" superb piece / tribute to the Garnett meister that Sexstone "allegedly" dispensed with Stoney as a match day host as QUOTE "He was no longer a fit person to represent BCFC as a match day host" UNQUOTE. So it appears (and yes to the point of being boring I DO realise that there always two sides to every story) that Stoney was unceremoniously booted out of the door as he was not a politically correct, tie wearing, prawn sandwich eating, captain of this or that golf club??? Yet it has been fairly well proven that Stoney himself would bleed red AND WHITE blood if cut and BCFC is very close to his heart as anyone can get, yet, it appears that this sort of supporter is not the "type" that Sexstone and his chums want to encourage........

Well Sexstone (AND I SINCERELY HOPE YOU READ THIS OR YOU GET ONE OF YOUR STORMTROOPER GUARDS IN HI VIZ JACKETS TO READ YOU IT AS A BED TIME STORY) the likes of Stoney G. are what makes Bristol City Football Club, the club that us the true supporters love and spend our hard earned every season following NOT your prawn sandwich, Chablis swilling mates, so TAKE THIS ON BOARD most of us true City fans (and not those of us who have decided to switch allegiances from Gloucestershire CCC to BCFC, Col) will always assoiciate ourselves with the likes of Stoney rather than your faceless mates hiding in the boardroom lounge or wherever you eat your canapes and drink your cappucino at half time.

STONEY GARNETT IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A LEGEND.

"If" this treatment of one of our own has a grain of T about it then Colin you are a LEG END.

bruce_h4h.gif

Archived