IGNORED

First Games

redsince1994

Remember the Brighton game mate, that was the first season I started going too. Pretty certain some lovely young lady got her Bristol's out on the wall in front of the Williams, was it called the 'Members' in those days??

Ateyo's testimonial back in 67 against Leeds if my brain cells are still functioning.city.gif

Also Atyeo's testimonial, dad promised to take me to the league games next season if I behaved myself in the east End! only 7 at the time.

Thought it was summer of '65 though, but could be mistaken.

Weird one, mine.

I was taken to a home game back in the mid-80's by a friend's dad and we sat high up in the Dolman. I remember being amazed at how green the pitch was.

Anyway, I always thought it had been against Southend, and that we lost 2-0 or 2-1. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, so don't have a great memory of it. So a while ago, I went back through City's records to find it, but couldn't find any such result.

The season though, would either have been 84/85, 85/86 or 86/87 (when I was at junior's school). And i'm sure we lost. And Rob Newman played. He was the only one I can remember playing...

No it was called the enclousure. But in the mid 80s some clubs copy Luton and started bringing in members only stands this want happens to the enclousure. A lot of peope on here talk about the old EastEnd but I also went into the enclosure best atmosphere in the ground better then the eastend in the early to mid 80s,Alan Dicks used to call it the chicken run but all that stop dead when they turn it into a membership area. After that most of that crowd went into dolman a and b block

My first game was City v Liverpool in late '78, but i don't even remember being there let alone details of the game ( i was only 4). I rely on my old man's account of the game which mainly focussed on the Liverpool fans running amok outside the ground running over cars and robbing the programme sellers rather than the game itself, which we won 1-0. The first game i actually remember was City v Rovers in 1984 which we won 3-0, even though i went to almost every home game that season it is my first memory. Happy days! My first away memory, outside of the Wembley finals in the 80's was Rovers away in '85 when our old 'chum' Holloway scored in a 1-0 win for them on an exceptionally windy day.

Weird one, mine.

I was taken to a home game back in the mid-80's by a friend's dad and we sat high up in the Dolman. I remember being amazed at how green the pitch was.

Anyway, I always thought it had been against Southend, and that we lost 2-0 or 2-1. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, so don't have a great memory of it. So a while ago, I went back through City's records to find it, but couldn't find any such result.

The season though, would either have been 84/85, 85/86 or 86/87 (when I was at junior's school). And i'm sure we lost. And Rob Newman played. He was the only one I can remember playing...

I can't find that result either. But 1988~1989 season, I think we lost 2-0.

Weird one, mine.

I'm sure we played Southend on Grand National day in 1989 and lost 2-0 at home, so might have been that game even though it wasn't mid-eighties?

I can't find that result either. But 1988~1989 season, I think we lost 2-0.

Cheers for looking! Definitely too late by then - by then I was at secondary school, and I was at junior school when I went.

I may well have got the result wrong. And perhaps the opposition. And maybe players. Perhaps it wasn't even City?!

It does make me wonder about the rest of my childhood, and whether any of it is how I imagined it. How much is real? Was it really all as good or bad as I remember it to be? And did I really like to go around wearing make-up and girls' clothes when I was a child...!?

Err. Forget that last one.

home to Man Utd, 13th October 1979. I was 10. Went with a bunch of kids from school, stood in schoolboy enclosure. Drew 1-1. Can still remember it clearly, every time I go in the Dolman the memories flood back. I think I paid 50p!!!!

PS: if you want to find match details, try statto.com

Anyway, I always thought it had been against Southend, and that we lost 2-0 or 2-1. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, so don't have a great memory of it. The season though, would either have been 84/85, 85/86 or 86/87

City played Sarfend in 81-82 (Div 3) and not again until 87-88 and 88-89 (both Div 3). Was your first match a Cup game?

City played Sarfend in 81-82 (Div 3) and not again until 87-88 and 88-89 (both Div 3). Was your first match a Cup game?

It may have been a cup game, but I can't find any records of that, either.

It was definitely after 83, as I didn't meet my friend until then.

And it was definitely an evening game - I remember that. I remember leaving the ground really, really late and going to stop in the chippie on Ashton Rd, but not getting in cos it was too busy.

No it was called the enclousure. But in the mid 80s some clubs copy Luton and started bringing in members only stands this want happens to the enclousure. A lot of peope on here talk about the old EastEnd but I also went into the enclosure best atmosphere in the ground better then the eastend in the early to mid 80s,Alan Dicks used to call it the chicken run but all that stop dead when they turn it into a membership area. After that most of that crowd went into dolman a and b block

Loved the atmosphere in the enclosure, always stood to the left of the players entrance as you looked onto the pitch, just by the wall below the grand stand.

Getting into the playoffs at the last minute, and the cup semi against forest, was the enclosure at it's best.

City v. QPR old 1st division in 1978.

I remember Stan Bowles and Rodney Marsh were outstanding as as was Gerry Gow.

Finished 2-2 and City have had my 100% support since, no favourite other club for me.

Yer memory is dodgy......Rodney Marsh left QPR in '72 and was playing for Tampa Bay Rowdies in '78. icecream.gif

I was first taken to a game by my Dad in the fifties when my age was still in single figures, but was too young to remember the occasion well. I have no idea of the date, or even the year. I went a few more times in that decade, but have always reckoned my history as a regular, committed supporter to have started on 5th September, 1961: City v Newport (lost 2-1), when I was just turned 14 years old. Went to every home game after that with my mates and became City mad. (Must remember to mark 05/09/11 in next year's diary in order to celebrate fifty years of certifiable insanity).

The line-up in those days went (I think) something like: Cook; Briggs; Thresher; Etheridge; Connor; Casey; Rogers; Atyeo; Tait; Williams; Derrick. (Will probably have got at least one of those wrong, but I'm sure somebody will put me straight. Might have been a bit early for Jantzen, who would have been very young then.)

i wish i could remember my 1st game at the gate.

it was in the late 70s or very early 80's

some of my earliest memories was the 2 wembley finals,when we beat bolton 3-0 then the year after(i think) we lost to mansfield 6-5 on pens?

what stands out most was my dad getting a clip round the ear from my mum because he was ogling a lady that happend to flash her b**bs just behind us at the mansfield game. :D

City v Orient uncle let me have his Dolman seat 1-3 down half time won 5-3 with Galley scoring a screamer been hooked ever since .Not a clue what year but was a long time ago

October 1971 - I was there too, the Galley goal was almost a replica of the one that Alan Mullery scored for Fulham, winning Match of the Day goal of the season, a few years later.

First game was a 0-0 at home to Middlesboro, September 1967. As a 5 year old then don't remember much.

Loved the atmosphere in the enclosure, always stood to the left of the players entrance as you looked onto the pitch, just by the wall below the grand stand.

Getting into the playoffs at the last minute, and the cup semi against forest, was the enclosure at it's best.

You must have been stood next to me then.

Founder member of the enclosure mob circa 74.

It was popular in those days for "big" clubs to have at least TWO mobs.

We had the East End and an embryonic Park End, so we thought lets have a mob down the side, and it just grew and grew. The halcyon days though were undoubtedly in the old First Div.

Away fans would come in there thinking it would be safe to make their noise without let or hinderance....they were surprised and wrong!

In the Autumn of 1977 my wife and myself bought our first house in Ambrose Rd - above Hotwells Rd. One Saturday afternoon in September we were both in the tiny garden when we heard a huge roar and I thought it was a plane going over or something then realised it was coming from Ashton Gate which I was vaguely aware was nearby. I now know we had just scored against West Ham.

So, out of curiousity I went to the next home game v Leeds (October 8th, must admit I have just looked that up on Statto!). Stood in the Enclosure - as we have already established on this thread this was a standing only area at the foot of the Williams (pitchside). This was Don Revie's all conquering side Leeds team although they were getting past their prime by then. Norman (bite your leg) Hunter was definitely playing that day (came to us later) and I think, but am not sure, that Joe Jordan was up front for them that day.

Anyway we won 3-2 and I was hooked. Been coming ever since.

Archived