IGNORED

Very Early Days But Looking Very Good....

Mr Mosquito

I think with Carey back we will be a lot stronger at the back. I was also put Fontaine at left back.

For me I'd go for Fontaine or Tom Williams. Surely Tom Williams deserves a chance to prove himself as our left back ???!!! Afterall, Tom Williams has played for QPR and Birmingham in this position.

Be careful what you wish for!

I wish for a bit of competition for Jamie McAllister's left back position. McAllister is strong in the tackle and in blocking crosses but his constant hoofing upfield lets him down. The way McAllister has been giving away penalties in recent games is a big worry. Nigh time for Tom Williams to be tested at left back me thinks.

Up the City

Everyone predicting cardiff will walk the league obviously haven't been paying attention the last 2 years when they should have gone up ame bottled it! I'm still not sure they'll still be solvent by the end of the season and i've heard a fire sale may be on the way- a journalist friend of mine say's whittingham in talks with forest, chopra looks to be off if he gets fit... not a fore gone conclusion for me.

As for us, we've got the makings of a good squad but given the injury trouble ame upheaval i don't think any of us can judge either way for a few more games yet

Yep, here I go again. QPR and Baaadiff will definately be there or there abouts for promotion at the end of the season and so will we. Millen will be the surprise managerial package to the rest of the country but not to us. Millen and Walshy's managerial form at the end of last season tells me we're well up for promotion especially with the 2 new signings to boost our attack. Our upcoming games against Baaadiff and their Bellamy will tell us how good we really are. By the end of next month our defence will be watertight and able to take the good ship BCFC onto promotion. :cool:

Two new strikers is a massive step in the right direction.

However, none of our midfield are 'stand out' suppliers of the the killer ball.

It's been said on here before that we could have Rooney and Owen up front, but without the service............................

We all have opinions as to who should and shouldn't be playing: Lets just hope Keith Millen finds the right mix quickly and sticks with it.

Two new strikers is a massive step in the right direction.

With all the quality strikers now at the club, let's write the talk of a business strategist i.e. the strategic intent is definately there for us to gain promotion back to the top flight of English football. :dancing6: 2 points from 9 means nothing because the good ship BCFC is now picking up speed and we'll soon be unstoppable. As written before, the real test will be at Baaadiff in October and nothing would please me more than revenge for that 0-6 drubbing they gave us earlier this year.

Up the City

Its the Bellamy factor.

At every club he's been he's become a very disruptive influence and caused friction and bad feeling within the squad. He's fallen out with just about every manager he's worked for. At Newcastle Bellamy fell out big time with Alan Shearer and was sending abusive texts to him. The bloke carries a poison chalice around with him.

As Mourinho once said 'put one bad apple in a box and pretty soon you have box of bad apples'. Applies 100% to Bellamy

This definitely has some legs. In fact it seems to have already started as Bellamy did NOT travel with the Cardiff squad to Posh tonight...didn't fancy it??

Bellamy back in his home town, on the booze with his mates, getting in trouble on and off the pitch.

No-one is going to 'walk' this league either, least of all Cardiff...

This definitely has some legs. In fact it seems to have already started as Bellamy did NOT travel with the Cardiff squad to Posh tonight...didn't fancy it??

Bellamy back in his home town, on the booze with his mates, getting in trouble on and off the pitch.

No-one is going to 'walk' this league either, least of all Cardiff...

Baaadiff with or without Bellamy are a very good side. In my opinion, they threw away promotion last season because they were easily good enough to go up automatically. The other club to watch is QPR and our old mate Bradley Orr as their right back - Bradley Orr is a real blood and guts Neil Warnock type player. I bet Neil Warnock can't believe his luck signing him from us.

Up the City

Yep, here I go again. QPR and Baaadiff will definately be there or there abouts for promotion at the end of the season and so will we. Millen will be the surprise managerial package to the rest of the country but not to us. Millen and Walshy's managerial form at the end of last season tells me we're well up for promotion especially with the 2 new signings to boost our attack. Our upcoming games against Baaadiff and their Bellamy will tell us how good we really are. By the end of next month our defence will be watertight and able to take the good ship BCFC onto promotion. :cool:

QPR phaa..... got one at work that has become very vocal because of the early start...... keep saying to him.... yeah right......... all happening up until Christmas and then the 'Bristol City slide'

But hey not for us this season we have been stumped early ...... we are on the build now and who knows how we will do when we hit that form & all the players are fit

We have no doubt signed some good players in addition to the injured ones we already have and I have the very positive feeling that if not now we will have some very good times ahead....... if we could build half the team spirit that the likes of Brett has experienced at B'mth then we are going places (do your bit Brett)

So maybe not right now (due to circumstance) or maybe even not this season but we are going to get there....... keep on building Keith...... we are right behind you.

Regarding Nicky.... well it just might keep him here for the time being due to the injury and while injured he might not be so 'on the radar' and that might mean we get that little bit more from our investment in the long run?

QPR phaa..... got one at work that has become very vocal because of the early start...... keep saying to him.... yeah right......... all happening up until Christmas and then the 'Bristol City slide'

But hey not for us this season we have been stumped early ...... we are on the build now and who knows how we will do when we hit that form & all the players are fit

We have no doubt signed some good players in addition to the injured ones we already have and I have the very positive feeling that if not now we will have some very good times ahead....... if we could build half the team spirit that the likes of Brett has experienced at B'mth then we are going places (do you bit Brett)

So maybe not right now (due to circumstance) or maybe even not this season but we are going to get there....... keep on building Keith...... we are right behind you.

Regarding Nicky.... well he it just might keep him here for the time being due to the injury and while injured he might not be so 'on the radar' and that might mean we get that little bit more from our investment in the long run?

Remember that your work colleague supports a club - QPR - that are always going to be in the shadow of their neighbours Chelsea for the foreseeable future. Bristol City FC are in no ones shadow - we are the top club in the whole South West of England. :winner_third_h4h:

Remember that your work colleague supports a club - QPR - that are always going to be in the shadow of their neighbours Chelsea for the foreseeable future. Bristol City FC are in no ones shadow - we are the top club in the whole South West of England. :winner_third_h4h:

Point of note: QPwho..... Chelsdowegiveadamnsea................. they are just a very successful old third division side are they not?

There is only 'ONE TEAM IN BRISTOL' :)

Disrespect to both completely intended ;)

This is a joke, surely? If they stay relatively injury free, they will run away with this division. Their squad is the only one in the Championship which has a Premier League look about it.

I wish I did not agree with this post, but I do.

Even now, memories of our snow swept evening match v Cardiff at AG last season still haunt me.

With the snow blowing horizontally into the Dolmam and us well down at half time (was it 4-1 down ? Can't remember for sure, it was too painful) I said to my mates, let's get out of here and watch the second half in the pub.

Fair play to my serious BCFC friends, we stuck it out to the end, unlike the thousands who left before us on that dreadful night.

Sorry, but this season, for my money it's a question of who is going up with QPR and Cardiff (from the play-offs). Hopefully us.

BUT then again, Leeds could do a successive promotion IMO.

Final thought on this - who could predict anything in this league after Blackpool got promoted last season ? At the start of last season they were among the bookie's favourites for relegation.

Of course not, Blackpool never succeeded last year leaking goals but scoring more. Oh...

That's the trouble with you TomF........ you only seemed to have grasped the fact that if you score more goals than the other side you will win the game and ultimately get promotion even in a pray off game

When will you ever learn :)

Of course not, Blackpool never succeeded last year leaking goals but scoring more. Oh...

For accuracy, Blackpool conceded 58, same as Palace, although Palaces position was largely determined by a points deduction. Sides below them were Swansea with 37, Sheff Utd with 55 and Middlesboro with 50. So, as I said earlier, you won't get far with a leaky defence.

Personally, I think we have put eggs into one basket. Too many strikers, too many right wingers, no left midfielder, weak central midfield that is neither creative or good enough to cover the defence, pretty ordinary full-backs, I can't see a natural central defence partnership, but the keeping situation is fine. We are also back to Square One with the Academy, too many players, so chances to develop will be non-existent.

The other big negative is how much we are spending, losing £10m+ is totally unsustainable in the long-term.

To me, it looks an over-sized and unbalanced squad that is unlikely to seriously challenge at the top this season. However, once a number of contracts expire, we can reduce the squad so that we have quality rather than quantity, and finances can be brought under better control, a few shrewd acquisitions could make us serious contenders in a year or two.

Some people will never be happy, you cant change an entire team in one season and win promotion, however we are not going to get religated. Give the guy a break and let him enjoy the fact we have one of the best defenders in our division in Cristain Raberio, Liam Fontaine is still only 24 but feels like he should be 34 hes got so much experiance at this level now, cisse can play in the back 4 and then we have still have Stewart, Lewis, Hunt, and Wilson when fit the only person I feel has a bit of an issue are Mcalister lacks pace and Lewin is a little unsure of himself at times.

I have no idea why we have a leftsided problem it will go away with time and people comming back from injury.

Where have I said I am not happy?????

Im simply replying to the original post that implys we are ready to go for top 6! Anyone who thinks we have the squad to do this has their stupid goggles on. You say we have"one of the best defenders in the division".....really?? The kid has loads of potential....but at the minute, he is miles off being one of the best in the division. Fontaine has not improved over the lat 2 to 3 years.....he needs to up his game to. James Wilson will be another that will never break into the first team....and will follow the countless other hot young prospects out the door.....if he was good enough, he would have featured more by now.

As I said, Im not unhappy.....I can "be pleased".....however if people think with this squad, we have a chance at top 6, your in for a massive, massive shock

Im simply replying to the original post that implys we are ready to go for top 6! Anyone who thinks we have the squad to do this has their stupid goggles on. You say we have"one of the best defenders in the division".....really?? The kid has loads of potential....but at the minute, he is miles off being one of the best in the division. Fontaine has not improved over the lat 2 to 3 years.....he needs to up his game to. James Wilson will be another that will never break into the first team....and will follow the countless other hot young prospects out the door.....if he was good enough, he would have featured more by now.

As I said, Im not unhappy.....I can "be pleased".....however if people think with this squad, we have a chance at top 6, your in for a massive, massive shock

Exactly. I'll be 'happy' with top 16.

No need to guess, I've worked it out.

It was Danny Wilson's last season when City lost in the play-off final. 2003/4 if I remember correctly.

So you felt more positive when Danny Wilson lost in the third division final, than when Gary Johnson actually got us promoted to the second division? Or when, a year later, we were just 90 minutes away from playing Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool home and away?! Really?!?

So when everyone was on the pitch cheering, "We are going up!" after the final game of the season against Rotherham, I guess you must have been just sat in your seat, arms folded, shaking your head, muttering away to yourself, "No, it's not going to happen. We're not going to get promoted. It's all rubbish."

Wow.

.if he was good enough, he would have featured more by now.

He's injured.

And I think some people are intitled to be optomistic dont you think.

To me, it looks an over-sized and unbalanced squad

I'm reluctant to sound like I'm siding with the moaners, but if I'm completely honest I'd have to agree with this.

By the end of last season we were all pointing to the fact that the squad under GJ had become too big and chronically unbalanced, with a plethora of strikers and glaring deficiencies elsewhere. We shipped out quite a few fringe players (and lost a couple more that we'd probably have preferred to keep) which created the room to make the necessary signings to balance things up more. Coppell had identified a dearth of lefties, for example, as an issue that needed addressing, among other things. Then suddenly we get hit with a series of unforseeable occurrencies, Coppell's defection, of course, being the main one, plus an unexpected degree of difficulty in attracting players and finally the worst plague of pre-season injuries anyone can recall for years. The whole squad development strategy gets affected by the distorting impact of these events, and when the dust settles you look around and realise that..... yep, we've got eleven new signings and we've still got an unbalanced and over-sized squad with arguably more forwards than we can utilise, and a problem down the left flank. Deja vu, or what?

Actually, I'm not criticising; just bemoaning the fact that we've had a lot of bad luck and other things to contend with, and that Millen has inherited a job half-done, an injury crisis and then basically been at the mercy of a very difficult transfer market in which he's had his hand forced to some degree into making the most of what's been available out there. I do think the squad probably does look a bit stronger overall, but we're clearly not where we wanted to be and if you'd asked Millen back in June for an outline of his ideal squad for the new season (forgetting for the moment that he wasn't yet in charge then) I'm pretty sure he'd have drawn up a blueprint that looked conspicuously different from what we currently have. Things don't always work out the way you want them to, despite your best efforts.

There is a lot of flak flying about the left side of the team. I agree it needs sorting, but it's the loss of Hartley in CM that still concerns me most, and the difficulty of finding players of his type who provide more than just playing skills. When everyone is fit, we can muddle through on the left if we have to, much as we've done before. It's not ideal, and it may mean playing people out of position, but as others have said, if push comes to shove, Fonts or Nyatanga can fill in at left back, Albert or JCR can do a job wide left, and even the much-maligned McAllister has been known to play as a LM, and so on, at least until the January window. For me, the evident lack of a senior professional who provides on-field leadership, especially in CM but also in defence, is the most serious concern. I did not expect to see a great deal of Carey this season, but I am inclined to agree with those who say we'll have to get him back in to fill this void. I wish I could see an obvious equivalent, over-the-hill or not, who could offer the same qualities in midfield. One can only hope Cisse might prove to be that man.

My glass is still half full, rather than half-empty, and I remain reasonably optimistic looking further ahead, but it could be a bit of a bumpy ride betwen now and Christmas.

So you felt more positive when Danny Wilson lost in the third division final, than when Gary Johnson actually got us promoted to the second division?

Yes I did.

The season before Wilson had City playing some great stuff, scoring almost 80 goals over the season and finishing 3rd. If I remember correctly City lost to Cardiff 0-1 at AG having drawn at NP in the play offs..

So....having gone so close the season before I was full of optimism for the next. Sadly Wilson messed up at the Millenium Stadium.

After Johnson got us promoted, I like many fans was looking forward to playing at the likes of Molineux but wasn't very optimistic about how City might do in the Championship.Staying up would have done me that season.

Point of note: QPwho..... Chelsdowegiveadamnsea................. they are just a very successful old third division side are they not?

There is only 'ONE TEAM IN BRISTOL' :)

Disrespect to both completely intended ;)

A blast from the past: looking at the finishing positions for the 1978/79 top flight season we finished 13th, QPR finished 20th (relegated) and Chelsea finished 22nd (relegated). :dancing6:

you can continue to be optimistic .....Ill choose to be realistic.......

Its not my opinion im defending its another guys I remember why I dont post on these forums that much it's because of the fact we make 2 amazing signings and people are moaning about jamie macalister and dont see the good or the fact we have some people comming back from injury to strenthen the defense.

I'm reluctant to sound like I'm siding with the moaners, but if I'm completely honest I'd have to agree with this.

I prefer the term 'realistic' or 'cautious'.

I can't say I have seen much moaning, they are two very good signings. You could question whether we needed two strikers, as we will be overloaded once we are injury free. I definitely agree with you that it will be difficult pre-Christmas, and Millen might find his options limited in January as it may be hard to shift fringe players, and we will probably be heading for a huge financial loss. I just hope that some fans don't expect too much too soon, otherwise they might well end up very disappointed. After two home games against modest opposition and conceding 6 goals, it's slightly premature to talk about 'Benchmarking against Cardiff'. I'd rather that our defence was not benchmarked against a sieve!

Its not my opinion im defending its another guys I remember why I dont post on these forums that much it's because of the fact we make 2 amazing signings and people are moaning about jamie macalister and dont see the good or the fact we have some people comming back from injury to strenthen the defense.

again......I am not moaning, as for the two signings, they are very much needed, and I am over the moon.

Your comments of "some people are never happy", which was aimed at myself, are very far off the mark.......just because I choose to live in a realistic world where, unfortunately, we dont have the balance or strength in the squad, to maintain a promotion push.

All I am saying is, if we want to push for top 6, wehave to stengthen over areas which are far weaker then what our attack was, even before we signed Stead and Pittman.

Thats the problem with these forums and why things go so crazy on here after a few bad results. So many people genuinely believe we have a squad capable of top 6, when in fact, I cuold name a dozen teams who probally have a stronger squad then us

Yes I did.

The season before Wilson had City playing some great stuff, scoring almost 80 goals over the season and finishing 3rd. If I remember correctly City lost to Cardiff 0-1 at AG having drawn at NP in the play offs..

So....having gone so close the season before I was full of optimism for the next. Sadly Wilson messed up at the Millenium Stadium.

After Johnson got us promoted, I like many fans was looking forward to playing at the likes of Molineux but wasn't very optimistic about how City might do in the Championship.Staying up would have done me that season.

:rofl2br:

Ha hahah...oh dear.

Quite simply, you do talk a wonderful form of male cow dung...

Even though we now have a wealth of strikers who score goals i just cant see us threatening teams untill we get a left footed wide man in.

In our first season in the Championship we had an average team but we had real balance, with Mcindoe on the left and Sproule on the right we really stretched the opposition.

I hope i am wrong, but managers and coaches in this league will note that we have no attacking threat down our left and will only need to nullify our right side. Last season proved this.

We have top quality strikers but they need service from both flanks if they are to get the goals we need.

Archived