IGNORED

Best City Debut?

REDLEE

Go on help me!

March 1979. We beat Birmingham City 2-1 at AG.

A dutch winger played his first game for us? (And played out of his skin)!

Am I right? Who was this?

Cheers!

It was Geert Meyer. He's the last player photo in Peter Godsiff's classic "complete history of the club" :

"He scored in five minutes and twice struck the bar with pulsating left foot shots. He became an instant hit, helping City to four successive wins and nto the top half of the table."

The book ends with Dicks about to start his thirteenth year in charge and "on the rack again"....

...sadly the only way was down!

Mine would be Ralph Milne's! We beat Bury 3-2 and he had a hand in all of citys goals. We signed him permanently on the strength of then one game and he was rubbish after that.

Apart from when he ripped Crystal Palace to shreds in the League Cup, scoring 2 and i think he set up 2, he had so much skill but was a lazy bugger !!!!

I am bloody sure it was Andy Leaning in goal that day, as Keith Welch missed the start of that season injured - I remember not being able to get into the ground until 3:15 as there was a bit of nonsense going on outside before the game.

Erm this was a night game, anyway yes it was Andy Leaning in goal, as soon as Hollowhead took the penalty i knew Andy Leaning was going to save it,

I had never seen us beat Rovers until that night, when Louie Donowa scored the place went mental, also will never forget some of their so called fans booing a minutes silence for Des Williams our then Chairman who died a week before, disgusting made everyone so bloody angry the atmosphere was deadly !!!

My favourite game of footy ever as a City fan.

We hadn't beaten them for years, and at one point it looked like continuing after Devon White blatantly dived to get a penalty which Leaning saved. The joy and relief I felt when Donawa scrambled that goal in was immense.

Probably my most disliked Rovers player. Just a Chuckle-Brother looking hatchet-man, with very little skill. How I laughed when Dave Smith kept skinning him one game and Alexander resorted to kicking him into the space in front of the Dolman (Before the seating was there) and getting a straight red.

He worked for an employment agency about 8 years ago he came into our building, i ****ing hated seeing the **** stood in front of me so i gave him greif about being sent off 3 times against City, he was speechless, the ****

Good old freezer, I still remember seeing him and lee miller in the works every Thursday night sipping on their alcopops!

Back to the original topic, I'm going to go for Luke Wilkshire against notts county at home on the opening day of the season in 2003/4 Think he made 3 of the goals in a 5-0 win - even lee miller scored a beauty that day!

I think Luke was a top player but never looked comfortable in the hustle and bustle of league 1. Plus he came in as Scotty's replacement which would be difficult for anyone but luke was a completely different type of player. Glad to see him doing well these days too.

The hottest I have ever been at a football match!

Temps had touched 40 degrees that week and it felt like a sauna in the stand - great result first game though, and Wilkshire did indeed have a great debut.....

I remember Galley / Royle / Shutt / Goodridge / Goodfellow et al - saw all of them as it happens but the one that will always stick with me was the debut's at the Gate in 82 on a night when we had no choice but to throw several young kids in against a top of the table Fulham side

Yes there were several kids making debuts that night but the one that really stood out was a certain 18yr old apprentice named Robert Newman - the way he threw himself into every tackle every block , every time the oppo's had the ball made sure we came away with an incredible 0-0 in a game where we should have been hammered

I remember an elderly fan, who had abviously had many many years of watching the reds, saying to me and my mate

"That kid Newman has got a BIG future" ........"shame it wont be for us"

He meant of course that tomorrow there might not be a BCFC .......It made me realise how much the club meant to me and how I would feel if it was taken away and I feel the same way even today....

Thankfully he was wrong on both counts - we survived as BCFC82 and Biff became the captain and leader for 500+games until his transfer to Norwich for 600k , incidentaly the only fee he has ever comanded but I still await to see a player make a debut so strong at such a young age

My recollection of that game is it wasn't at night !

I thought Tony Dinning had a great debut for us,

Definitely wasn't Glenn 'Psycho' Humphries' debut back in late 80s.

A midweek away game - can't remember who against - and with his very first touch scores an own goal with a header!

It even made the 'And Finally...' section on News at Ten that night

:rofl2br:

Atteveld scored an awesome og on his debut at the gate didn't he? Then got sent off away to Watford with James in goal.

I recall Attevelds og was away at Millwall? Not sure his debut?

The day he got sent off up Watford, he was joined by Allison & Azlewood too. I always remember the 3 A's getting red cards.

It seemed we played bloody Watford away last game for about 5 years in a row!!

Erm this was a night game, anyway yes it was Andy Leaning in goal, as soon as Hollowhead took the penalty i knew Andy Leaning was going to save it,

I had never seen us beat Rovers until that night, when Louie Donowa scored the place went mental, also will never forget some of their so called fans booing a minutes silence for Des Williams our then Chairman who died a week before, disgusting made everyone so bloody angry the atmosphere was deadly !!!

I'm referring to the Portsmouth game not the Rovers one, sorry!!

I recall Attevelds og was away at Millwall? Not sure his debut?

The day he got sent off up Watford, he was joined by Allison & Azlewood too. I always remember the 3 A's getting red cards.

It seemed we played bloody Watford away last game for about 5 years in a row!!

Remember the Millwall Oggie like yesterday...definately NOT Atteveld's debut though...our attack that day was Cole Rosenior and Allison...Looked like the Pasadena's on steriods...fantastic!

The watford thing I think we lost 5-2 in the same season as above and what a nightmare afternoon that was!

surely has to be carl shutt scoring 4! cant remember who it was against but remember him celebrate running toward the east end and falling into the adverts along the front

Apologies if I'm wrong and doesn't really matter but you know how it is......If my fading memory is correct I'm sure I listened to Carl Shutt's debut on the radio at a girlfriends in Backwell. I remember it as being away at Blackpool, we lost 4-2 but he scored twice ??? Probably wrong

Dzieckanowski 1992 i think 3-3 draw v portsmouth.....i think that was his debut and was also andy coles 1st game after his permanent signing.....they wer both unbelievabable that day, and i think jacki scored 2!!!!

also remember some serious fights in the away end during the game

oh god I was in the Dolman B Block that day showing off as we all did in front of the away end. Wasn't quite so brave when Pompey arrived in Block A and I quickly ended up in Block E ha ha - such a wimp

Mine has to be Joe Royles debut against Middlesbrough in 1977, he scored all 4 in a 4-1 win.

In answer to the original question on this thread, that four goal debut for BCFC is unbeatable.

I was there that evening match in the old Enclosure (now the pitch side area of the Williams stand).

As he kept popping them in, the atmosphere was unbelievable. Strangers were hugging each other after each goal !

Royle never did do as well as that after that for us, but we all know he went on to a good career in football management.

oh god I was in the Dolman B Block that day showing off as we all did in front of the away end. Wasn't quite so brave when Pompey arrived in Block A and I quickly ended up in Block E ha ha - such a wimp

Ah my infamous city youth days!

I remember that like it was yesterday, they had got seats right at the front ( no seats just a drop in those days in front of the dolman). I was sat about 3 rows behind them and got hit in the back of the head by part of a wooden seat as all hell broke loose, I remember vividly one Pompey lad tumbling down the steps, must have hurt like hell.

Mine would be Ralph Milne's! We beat Bury 3-2 and he had a hand in all of citys goals. We signed him permanently on the strength of then one game and he was rubbish after that.

From today's Daily Mail:-

New Manchester United striker Bebe, who manager Alex Ferguson paid £7.4m for without seeing him play, was not included in the club's recent 16-man reserve squad to face Manchester City - and was this week taken out of a training match because he was 'off the pace'.

Looks like Milne's place as possibly Fergie's worst buy could be eclipsed!

From today's Daily Mail:-

New Manchester United striker Bebe, who manager Alex Ferguson paid £7.4m for without seeing him play, was not included in the club's recent 16-man reserve squad to face Manchester City - and was this week taken out of a training match because he was 'off the pace'.

Looks like Milne's place as possibly Fergie's worst buy could be eclipsed!

ah, the multi-million pount scouting network of the biggest club the the world, and they sign him based on youtube evidence.

Brilliant.

Archived