IGNORED

Best City Debut?

REDLEE

surely has to be carl shutt scoring 4! cant remember who it was against but remember him celebrate running toward the east end and falling into the adverts along the front

It was Fulham. He nutted the ads at the East End after one of them! Steve Neville was actually the MoM on that night, as I recall, think he set up all 4. And Fulham's Walker and our right back (Chris Honor) got sent off for some hilarious handbags in the second half.

mmmm i remember that one, but the 1-0 win against the gas that gave me most satisfaction was a few years later when we beat them on an awful tuesday nite by 1-0 with Tins scoring the winner from the penalty spot after Ian Alexander got sent off for handling on the line.....God i hated Alexander

Think it was 2-1 and I claim credit for the Red Card. Alexander always was a lump of sh1t, even if he wasn't wearing the blue few's kit, but he had a happy knack of getting sent off against us.

Anyway, it was about 80 mins in (we were 1-0 up) and he came over to take a throw near me (I was stood in the open end, what is now the Atyeo). I yelled out "Oi, Alexander, isn't it about time you get sent off, you £"$"£$$£%£$!!!!!" (ahem)

And Lo! 2 minutes later, off he goes. The blokes around me all started bowing down and worshipping me, "I'm not worthy" style...then Tinman scored the pen and came and danced around the corner flag in front of us!!!! Great memory. The Gate was heaving that night...

Steve Torpey scored on his debut away at Grimsby in our John Ward promotion season, then got stretchered off a few minutes later.

Think he was the guy who said he'd crawl across the Severn Bridge to sign for us. Despite the goalscoring debut, I'd rather he'd stayed in Wales, as he was pretty useless for the most part (though tried his best).

How I laughed when Dave Smith kept skinning him one game and Alexander resorted to kicking him into the space in front of the Dolman (Before the seating was there) and getting a straight red.

Errr...think he got a yellow for the assault, fouled Smith a couple more times, the ref called him over to have a word and Alexander f'kin' lost it, picked up the ball and punted it - I kid you not - 60 yards down the pitch. Everything just stopped in a "I do not believe he just did that" kind off way, and the ref just looked straight in his eye and pulled out the red.

All within 11 minutes of the start.

We only managed a 0-0, though...:disapointed2se:

Think it was 2-1 and I claim credit for the Red Card. Alexander always was a lump of sh1t, even if he wasn't wearing the blue few's kit, but he had a happy knack of getting sent off against us.

Anyway, it was about 80 mins in (we were 1-0 up) and he came over to take a throw near me (I was stood in the open end, what is now the Atyeo). I yelled out "Oi, Alexander, isn't it about time you get sent off, you £"$"£$$£%£$!!!!!" (ahem)

And Lo! 2 minutes later, off he goes. The blokes around me all started bowing down and worshipping me, "I'm not worthy" style...then Tinman scored the pen and came and danced around the corner flag in front of us!!!! Great memory. The Gate was heaving that night...

I remember that aswell...Alexander was rolling around on the floor trying to suggest the ball hit him in the face, then he saw the red card, got up, forgetting his face was hurrting (!!!) and had a go at the ref..!!!!

I was in the Dolman that night, great night.

my bad!

very good goal none the less :)

It was a good goal, although the rest of his debut left a lot to be desired. He was dominated physically throughout that game and indeed throughout his spell with us. He was only a young lad and the move probably came too early for him, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on at boro this season if he can get in the side!

I'm sure miller and peacock scored in that Grimsby game, we went top of the league. We took about 3000 to notts county and freezer got the late winner on his debut.

Mark Goodfellow's debut was against Notts County away from home, and he did indeed score the winner. It was the fourth of the eleven-match winning streak.

Anyone remember Tommy Black's debut for us on loan from Arsenal?

Sorry, Jackie did score on his debut, but it was against Southend at Ashton Gate. I remember him running around like a headless chicken, he was really trying to impress. After that Jackie reverted to his more "casual" style of match play.

I thought Jacki's debut was against Leicester in the FA cup when he scored and Junior Bent also if i remember correctly? John Motson described him as being from another planet or something along those lines. Really wet boggy pitch if my memory serves me well?

Reading this has taken me back to 1982, was 9 years old and one of 4000 there for the 0-0 vs Fulham. It was saturday and it was after we were saved by the 8, thats why the kids were playing. Newman, bray, economou plus stevens, musker - all local lads and the great Jon Shaw in goal. Was Forbes Phillison-Masters playing? - what a great name?

I know the grounds were rough and it was the height of football violence, but there was a passion and real romance then that any club could make it - Forest and Villa winning the European cup, Brighton making the cup final that year, Swansea and Watford flying high. 5 years earlier us beating Arsenal at highbury. Even at the foot of the 3rd division we thought with a bit of luck we could get back to Div 1 in a few years. How football has changed.....

Archived