IGNORED

Best City Debut?

REDLEE

MORNING ALL.

NOT SURE IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE BUT HERE GOES ANYWAY.

WHO MADE THE BEST CITY DEBUT IN YOUR OPINIONS?

MINE WOULD HAVE TO BE GREG GOODRIDGE V LUTON IN 1996. WE WON 5-0 AND GREG SCORED 2 GREAT GOALS. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT I THINK TONY THORPE GOT SENT OFF FOR LUTON!

surely has to be carl shutt scoring 4! cant remember who it was against but remember him celebrate running toward the east end and falling into the adverts along the front

I remember this and have been googling to find the details. I'm pretty sure he scored the first three in less than 20 minutes.

I think you mean John Galley. He did indeed score three on his debut, away from home too, in a 3-0 win against Rotherham I think (but I might be wrong). In terms of the impact it made at the time, I'd give Galley the edge over Joe Royle's four...

It is indeed John Galley. It was away and I am preaty sure it was Huddersfield not Rotherham. We bought him from Rotherham with a broken leg for £25k.

My all time City hero.

It is indeed John Galley. It was away and I am preaty sure it was Huddersfield not Rotherham. We bought him from Rotherham with a broken leg for £25k.

My all time City hero.

Do not think it was a broken leg.

I was working at the City Ground in the week leading up to his debut. In those days there was no training ground and the lads were playing five a side on the car park behind the Williams Stand. Galley, with his foot in plaster, so assume an ankle injury, was running ( more a hobble ) the line very enthusiastically waving a shirt as a flag. He was in his normal clothes, not changed, and wearing an overcoat, quite a sight and one that I can still picture now.

I was amazed he played on the Saturday, let alone score a hatrick. Due to the circumstances this has to be the best debut ever.

Dzieckanowski 1992 i think 3-3 draw v portsmouth.....i think that was his debut and was also andy coles 1st game after his permanent signing.....they wer both unbelievabable that day, and i think jacki scored 2!!!!

also remember some serious fights in the away end during the game

Bit of a random one, but Marc Goodfellow :laugh: he scored an injury time winner against Grimbsy to make it 2-1 when we were on that immense run of 11 straight wins under Danny Wilson!

Good old freezer, I still remember seeing him and lee miller in the works every Thursday night sipping on their alcopops!

Back to the original topic, I'm going to go for Luke Wilkshire against notts county at home on the opening day of the season in 2003/4 Think he made 3 of the goals in a 5-0 win - even lee miller scored a beauty that day!

I think Luke was a top player but never looked comfortable in the hustle and bustle of league 1. Plus he came in as Scotty's replacement which would be difficult for anyone but luke was a completely different type of player. Glad to see him doing well these days too.

Dzieckanowski 1992 i think 3-3 draw v portsmouth.....i think that was his debut and was also andy coles 1st game after his permanent signing.....they wer both unbelievabable that day, and i think jacki scored 2!!!!

Yep this is my memorable one, Jacki was superb, was in the open that day and remember half of the Dolman A block seats ending up in the away terrace.

The other debut thats memorable has to be Lavin at Reading, the accuracy of his strike was excellent.

Mine memory has to be Gally as well.

I think Gally suffered from an in growing toe nail thats why he had a Plaster cast

I also recall the headline in the Green'un on his fourth appearance for city

GOAL-A-GAME-GALLY

I had the pleasure of being Driven from Chippenham to Watford(with my mate) after we were hitching a lift to Watford

Gally was injured at the time and was taking the car to Watford so terry Bush(the centre forward) could take the car to his parents home in Norwich

Bit of a random one, but Marc Goodfellow :laugh: he scored an injury time winner against Grimbsy to make it 2-1 when we were on that immense run of 11 straight wins under Danny Wilson!

Pretty sure it was against Notts county, i was at the game, and can remeber going mad at the end and singing 'He's a jolly goodfellow', what a great day :englandsmile4wf:

Sorry, Jackie did score on his debut, but it was against Southend at Ashton Gate. I remember him running around like a headless chicken, he was really trying to impress. After that Jackie reverted to his more "casual" style of match play.

Archived