IGNORED

Best City Debut?

REDLEE

It was rotherham we signed john galley from with a broken leg..

youth player

1959–1961 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Senior playing career

1961–1964 Wolverhampton Wanderers

1964–1967 Rotherham United

1967–1972 Bristol City

1972–1974 Nottingham Forest

1974 → Peterborough United (loan)

1974–1977 Hereford United

ended at Telford United

Oh and best Debut goes to Joe royle scoring all 4 goals and taking in to account this was top flight football

Yep this is my memorable one, Jacki was superb, was in the open that day and remember half of the Dolman A block seats ending up in the away terrace.

The other debut thats memorable has to be Lavin at Reading, the accuracy of his strike was excellent.

That wasn't his debut, but yes, he was awesome that day. The first of his two goals was the first league goal scored that season. All three of Pompey's goals were as a direct result of Welch having a mare with the new back pass law.

The fighting was full on, Pompey tried to take the Dolman that day but were well and truly put on their asses.

I remember Galley / Royle / Shutt / Goodridge / Goodfellow et al - saw all of them as it happens but the one that will always stick with me was the debut's at the Gate in 82 on a night when we had no choice but to throw several young kids in against a top of the table Fulham side

Yes there were several kids making debuts that night but the one that really stood out was a certain 18yr old apprentice named Robert Newman - the way he threw himself into every tackle every block , every time the oppo's had the ball made sure we came away with an incredible 0-0 in a game where we should have been hammered

I remember an elderly fan, who had abviously had many many years of watching the reds, saying to me and my mate

"That kid Newman has got a BIG future" ........"shame it wont be for us"

He meant of course that tomorrow there might not be a BCFC .......It made me realise how much the club meant to me and how I would feel if it was taken away and I feel the same way even today....

Thankfully he was wrong on both counts - we survived as BCFC82 and Biff became the captain and leader for 500+games until his transfer to Norwich for 600k , incidentaly the only fee he has ever comanded but I still await to see a player make a debut so strong at such a young age

Goodridge was excellent that night and I told my mates I was going to get "GODRIDGE" on the back of my shirt but fortunately I didn't get round to it!

Memory could be playing tricks on me but I remember Lee Peacock scoring an absolute beauty on the volley from miles out quite early on in his city career but not sure if it was his debut - anyone got a better memory??

I remember Galley / Royle / Shutt / Goodridge / Goodfellow et al - saw all of them as it happens but the one that will always stick with me was the debut's at the Gate in 82 on a night when we had no choice but to throw several young kids in against a top of the table Fulham side

Yes there were several kids making debuts that night but the one that really stood out was a certain 18yr old apprentice named Robert Newman - the way he threw himself into every tackle every block , every time the oppo's had the ball made sure we came away with an incredible 0-0 in a game where we should have been hammered

I remember an elderly fan, who had abviously had many many years of watching the reds, saying to me and my mate

He meant of course that tomorrow there might not be a BCFC .......It made me realise how much the club meant to me and how I would feel if it was taken away and I feel the same way even today....

Thankfully he was wrong on both counts - we survived as BCFC82 and Biff became the captain and leader for 500+games until his transfer to Norwich for 600k , incidentaly the only fee he has ever comanded but I still await to see a player make a debut so strong at such a young age

Thanks FOD, that warmed the cockles of my heart.

:winner_third_h4h:

That wasn't his debut, but yes, he was awesome that day. The first of his two goals was the first league goal scored that season. All three of Pompey's goals were as a direct result of Welch having a mare with the new back pass law.

The fighting was full on, Pompey tried to take the Dolman that day but were well and truly put on their asses.

A Guy Whittingham hatrick if i remeber correctly.

It is indeed John Galley. It was away and I am preaty sure it was Huddersfield not Rotherham. We bought him from Rotherham with a broken leg for £25k.

My all time City hero.

Absolute legend,!

I remember the Green 'un headline on that Saturday night " Galley, Galley, Galley", a couple of JG's other goals stick in the memory for me, the winner against Watford

first game of the season '69, and the goal that gave us our first home win of the season (in November!) against Sunderland in '72.

He lived in Whitchurch Lane up by the newt pond.

Lee Matthews. Home debut on a Friday night against Millwall, scoring a late pen to see us take 3 points.

Ahh, that's the one that I was going to say! I was behind the goal and the look on Matthews' face was priceless.

I also vividly remember the standoff between the OB and Millwall "fans" on Winterstoke Road after the match.

i am 99% sure it was Andy Leaning not kEITH wELCH

Well said that man...All present and correct Sir!

My personal favorite debut was Carl Hutchins in a League Cup Tie...He played really well...The one and only time!

We've nearly all been looking at goal scoring on debuts, but both Mike Gibson & Ray Cashley saved penalties on their City debuts.

Go back just under 100 years though and there were 11 players who all made their League debut for City on the same day and returned from Blackpool with a 2-0 win to their credit!

Goodridge was excellent that night and I told my mates I was going to get "GODRIDGE" on the back of my shirt but fortunately I didn't get round to it!

Memory could be playing tricks on me but I remember Lee Peacock scoring an absolute beauty on the volley from miles out quite early on in his city career but not sure if it was his debut - anyone got a better memory??

Peterborough at home. I don't think it was his debut but it was early on in his City career.

He was actually put through by Tinnion somewhere near the halfway line but only ran a few yards before shooting because, he said, he "wasn't feeling confident".

i am 99% sure it was Andy Leaning not kEITH wELCH

I'm 99% sure it was Welchy. It seems as though that game sticks in the memory, some games tend to. Louie Donowa 1-0 Bristol Rovers and 25'000 City fans going absolutely apesh1t is another.

Back to topic. Anybody remember Shaun Goater's debut against The Gash in the Gloucestershire Cup? Typical Shaun, didn't touch the ball until he majestically lifted the ball over the keeper for 1-0 and the win. What a player.

Bit of a random one, but Marc Goodfellow :laugh: he scored an injury time winner against Grimbsy to make it 2-1 when we were on that immense run of 11 straight wins under Danny Wilson!

Freezing cold tuesday night that was, although the fish and chips were good ;) but i think Aaron Brown scored the injury time winner :)

Bit of a random one, but Marc Goodfellow :laugh: he scored an injury time winner against Grimbsy to make it 2-1 when we were on that immense run of 11 straight wins under Danny Wilson!

Mark Goodfellow's debut was against Notts County away from home, and he did indeed score the winner. It was the fourth of the eleven-match winning streak.

Anyone remember Tommy Black's debut for us on loan from Arsenal?

Mark Goodfellow's debut was against Notts County away from home, and he did indeed score the winner. It was the fourth of the eleven-match winning streak.

Anyone remember Tommy Black's debut for us on loan from Arsenal?

I have vague recollections of him being really good that night, and then he just went......well, shit !

I'm 99% sure it was Welchy. It seems as though that game sticks in the memory, some games tend to. Louie Donowa 1-0 Bristol Rovers and 25'000 City fans going absolutely apesh1t is another.

Back to topic. Anybody remember Shaun Goater's debut against The Gash in the Gloucestershire Cup? Typical Shaun, didn't touch the ball until he majestically lifted the ball over the keeper for 1-0 and the win. What a player.

That game is worthy of a thread of it's own. My fav moment of being a City fan, better than Anfield, better than any promotion. Pure emotion, and Super Bob giving all those gutted G*sheads the v's was worth the entrance alone.

That game is worthy of a thread of it's own. My fav moment of being a City fan, better than Anfield, better than any promotion. Pure emotion, and Super Bob giving all those gutted G*sheads the v's was worth the entrance alone.

mmmm i remember that one, but the 1-0 win against the gas that gave me most satisfaction was a few years later when we beat them on an awful tuesday nite by 1-0 with Tins scoring the winner from the penalty spot after Ian Alexander got sent off for handling on the line.....God i hated Alexander

My favourite game of footy ever as a City fan.

We hadn't beaten them for years, and at one point it looked like continuing after Devon White blatantly dived to get a penalty which Leaning saved. The joy and relief I felt when Donawa scrambled that goal in was immense.

God i hated Alexander

Probably my most disliked Rovers player. Just a Chuckle-Brother looking hatchet-man, with very little skill. How I laughed when Dave Smith kept skinning him one game and Alexander resorted to kicking him into the space in front of the Dolman (Before the seating was there) and getting a straight red.

I am bloody sure it was Andy Leaning in goal that day, as Keith Welch missed the start of that season injured - I remember not being able to get into the ground until 3:15 as there was a bit of nonsense going on outside before the game.

Archived