IGNORED

Can We Get Rid Of The Wurzels Pre Kick Off?

dezgimed

Dunno if anyone else agrees but the Wurzels playing as the teams come out is really cringeworthy now.

Makes us look really smalltime and amateur (more than the performance on the pitch!).

Can we not just let the crowd build up naturally? James must feel like he's joined a circus.

up the wurzels, love that tune.

As I've always maintained: the Wurzels are shit and give the area, let alone the club, a bad impression. Shit music and shit tag that goes with it. Inbred, dopey, thick farmed crap that makes us all look stupid.

What a stupid statement to make.............YOU may think the music is like you describe but for many many a year now we have stood by it and sang it in celebration of good times.....at home or away.....I have even celebrated BCFC to the Wurzels at weddings....as well as wore my city shirt proudly to Wurzels concerts all over the west

Jeez.....what next......can we change the home shirt - I dont like Red?.........it dont go with my Jimmy choo's!

As for the Wurzels making us all look stupid ............with statements like that you dont seem to need any help....

Having said all that..........I don't like to hear "Drink up thee Zider" played or sang before the game .....it's a celebration song and when you have stood with 10k+ at Anfield and sang it to the applause of the Kop or after a victory at Wembley (be it FRT or not) then maybe you will wise up to what tradition means to a football club....and also why the removal of such is killing some clubs by distancing them from their roots

NO the wurzels stay. next topic... Why do they feel the need to turn the stadium lights on 5 mins before half time and the end? it just encourages people to leave early and block the views of those that actually want to watch the last 5 mins of the halfs.

Agree Wurzels must stay - bring back the robin and suspension bridge as well..

Must get the CD out and give it an airing !!

I did miss his point yes. :cool2:

please feel free to woosh :dance:

must be my farmer brain. stick by my original point though wurzels are a tradition and im proud they are associated with my club, now im off to munch some carrots or do something naughty with my sister :farmer:

See, you're much funnier than the Wurzels. :)

Anyway it's about perceptions, not reality. Do we keep losing at AG because subliminally the opposition think we kick around turnips? Could we find a better song that helps supporters support through thick & thin?

Perhaps we could co-opt Muse as there are no other big teams in the SW.

One for the Bristol City is brilliant. I just wish the crowd sang it loud just like Stoke with Delilah...

....but apart from that drop anything else ESPECIALLY that God awful mono-version of Drink up thee Cider. Its cringingly embarassing, crackly and should be shown the door....along with any other backward numpty that is happy to have the image of a white cloth, straw hat wearing farmhand

As for the Wurzels making us all look stupid ............with statements like that you dont seem to need any help....

Having said all that..........I don't like to hear "Drink up thee Zider" played or sang before the game .....it's a celebration song and when you have stood with 10k+ at Anfield and sang it to the applause of the Kop or after a victory at Wembley (be it FRT or not) then maybe you will wise up to what tradition means to a football club....and also why the removal of such is killing some clubs by distancing them from their roots

This.

Matty, you wanna calm down fella...

I don't think anyone's preaching the clubs history, and I'll agree, sometimes I do think it's not particularly good music....

But, I'm proud of my west country heritage, and after several Ciders I enjoy singing a few local tunes...

Infact, this year 9 of us went to Malia for a week, (google it, it's a shit hole, but the best week of my life!) and there was an 80's bar. We befriended the DJ there and he was kind enough to play us Blackbird and I am a Cider drinker quite a few times...

Probably the highlight of my holiday, barely able to walk after all the free Raki Belting out some wurzles with 9 west country lads...

I'd rather be from round here and have some heritage and individuality than be from somewhere bland like.... I dunno... Ipswich?

Cheer up fella!

NO the wurzels stay. next topic... Why do they feel the need to turn the stadium lights on 5 mins before half time and the end? it just encourages people to leave early and block the views of those that actually want to watch the last 5 mins of the halfs.

I think its called 'health and safety' bollox.

i read somewhere the other day that those pubs used in them there soaps used to have real alcohol in the bottles behind the bar.. not allowed anymore... only coloured water... 'health and safety' nonsense yet again. this country started going mad from 1997, we reached the end of the tunnel in 2010... the tunnel was long, its a long way back from here.

As I've always maintained: the Wurzels are shit and give the area, let alone the club, a bad impression. Shit music and shit tag that goes with it. Inbred, dopey, thick farmed crap that makes us all look stupid.

Why does it worry you ? Its only the thoughts in your own head that we look stupid.

I dont give a shjt what other fans think of us.

Perhaps you want Chas and Dave so we can pretend were all cockneys!!!!

i read somewhere the other day that those pubs used in them there soaps used to have real alcohol in the bottles behind the bar.. not allowed anymore... only coloured water... 'health and safety' nonsense yet again. this

country started going mad from 1997, we

reached the end of the tunnel in 2010... the

tunnel was long, its a long way back from

here.

i would rather have H&S bollox from Labour than be thrown on the dole by this lot now.

i read somewhere the other day that those pubs used in them there soaps used to have real alcohol in the bottles behind the bar.. not allowed anymore... only coloured water... 'health and safety' nonsense yet again. this country started going mad from 1997, we reached the end of the tunnel in 2010... the tunnel was long, its a long way back from here.

And you seriously believe that ?

Most anti H & S stories are in fact total bollox, usually published in the currant bun,Torygraph, Daily Fail & Daily Express.

Personally I would like us to go back to playing Liquidator when the teams come out and Drink up thy zider when we win as it is very much a song of celebration.

I love the Wurzels, they provide our anthem (which imo is better than any other teams anthems) and they are part of our identity. The fact that they are not very current or 'hip' should have no bearing on whether we play their songs before during or after the game. The Gas are proud of Irene, Stoke are proud of Delilah, Liverpool are proud of you'll never walk alone, West Ham blowing bubbles etc and I have no idea of the relevance of any of those songs to their respective clubs.

Wurzels are westcountry, we are the pride of the westcountry! (incidently I know that liquidator has no relevance to Bristol but I like the 'clap clap clap clap CITY!' ill get me coat)

Personally I would like us to go back to playing Liquidator when the teams come out and Drink up thy zider when we win as it is very much a song of celebration.

I love the Wurzels, they provide our anthem (which imo is better than any other teams anthems) and they are part of our identity. The fact that they are not very current or 'hip' should have no bearing on whether we play their songs before during or after the game. The Gas are proud of Irene, Stoke are proud of Delilah, Liverpool are proud of you'll never walk alone, West Ham blowing bubbles etc and I have no idea of the relevance of any of those songs to their respective clubs.

Wurzels are westcountry, we are the pride of the westcountry! (incidently I know that liquidator has no relevance to Bristol but I like the 'clap clap clap clap CITY!' ill get me coat)

They have put liquidator on a few times and latest one was against barsnley i think? but none of the city fans sing it :whistle2:

You need to watch this.

a) the people of AG I'm sure have more about them than to suddenly spring to life at the thought of a light turning on.

b) if you were in charge of an expensive set would you rather have accidentally someone spilling coloured water everywhere or alcohol? don't believe everything you read in the Daily M*il ;)

Bristol is the best city in the country, at least for my preferences (chilled, happy, thinking people, green spaces). We even have/had our own music style:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Sound

As Wiki says, Unfinished Sympathy was one of the best dance tracks ever, and Mezzanine my favourite triphop album.

Nik Kershaw was a Bristolian although I dislike Eighties music almost as much as the Wurzels, there is at least some recognisable talent there.

Tradition is a double edged sword. It used to be traditional to enslave black people.

Some fair comments.

I disagree with the comparison to Stoke, Liverpool, West Ham etc. They BELT out their anthem loud enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. My point was it makes us look silly as we just sit there and listen, never heard it being sung with any passion, certainly not as passionately as people seem to claim it is to them.

I do believe that playing music in general- and The Wurzels is music of course pre kick off really does a hell of a lot to kill the atmosphere.

When did the whole music pre kick off start anyway?

Anyway, with music pre kick off in many European stadia, I doubt there would be atmospheres such as this that are able to develop properly- though it is by no means the only factor.

Are you comparing Singing a traditional Club song pre kick off with the slave trade?!!?

If you say so. I'm merely pointing out that tradition is a vague and often bad justification.

Mr Pop makes a point that, now I think about it, is spot on. I like the Rocky intro and, for me, that adds to the excitement. We need only music which builds excitement/anticipation.

Guest Parson St Station

Keep the Wurzels....but don't bring back those bloody awful dancing girls.

What were they called, The Robinetts or something.

I still cringe at them dancing to Rockin Robin....the away fans just stood their laughing every game!

Liquidator is played to death at other grounds esp Wolves and is not original or unique. I have seen The Wurzels live for the last 2 years at different festivals in Somerset and Devon,. with hugely differing audiences and demographics. Both times they pulled almost the biggest crowds and the response to them and their music was fantastic on both occasions.

No other band has done more to support this club, musically and when the Eastend has something to sing about (rare these days with the football for the last year+)'I am a cider drinker' is the mutts nuts as a singalong.belted out by young and old.

My defence of The Wurzels over, I do think the whole fanfare etc leading to the teams coming out is stale and dated and a rethink is not a bad idea. Not just re-vamping The Wurzels intro, but the rest of it too.

Paradise City by Guns and Roses would be good for starters!!

Archived