IGNORED

Reality...

spudski

After speaking to a friend of mine who was at todays game, in fact his 900th home game for Burnley, he had some interesting points to make.

Reading between everything he told me, he reckons there are at least 4 teams worse than us in this Division...Phew!!! :rolleyes: Generally over the years he has been very accurate with his predictions, so i listen whenever he speaks, as he seems to have a wise footballing head.

Interestingly he expressed that since our promotion to this league, we have bought poorly, with the exception of Maynard. Everyone else being non proven or journeyman pro's or towards the end of their careers. The players we have are inconsistant and generally tail off any initial good impressions.

I try to speak to fellow fans who have supported teams in the Championship for many years, to get their opinions, as they know what it takes to stay in this league ...many have said the same things about us this year, even after the initial Euphoria of when we got SC as manager.

An unproven manager, with the playing staff we have, and it looks like we are in big trouble.

You only have to put the names of our players into the search option on this site...

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=40935 to see their stats and the poor quality we have at present.

I don't want to piss on our parade after a hard fought point today, but with the distraction of all this stadium crap and our poor general form, i'd be interested to know what others think.

I don't think even God could get our playing staff to click and become a good team. Too me and others it seems, we have really, really poor players.

After speaking to a friend of mine who was at todays game, in fact his 900th home game for Burnley, he had some interesting points to make.

Reading between everything he told me, he reckons there are at least 4 teams worse than us in this Division...Phew!!! :rolleyes: Generally over the years he has been very accurate with his predictions, so i listen whenever he speaks, as he seems to have a wise footballing head.

Interestingly he expressed that since our promotion to this league, we have bought poorly, with the exception of Maynard. Everyone else being non proven or journeyman pro's or towards the end of their careers. The players we have are inconsistant and generally tail off any initial good impressions.

I try to speak to fellow fans who have supported teams in the Championship for many years, to get their opinions, as they know what it takes to stay in this league ...many have said the same things about us this year, even after the initial Euphoria of when we got SC as manager.

An unproven manager, with the playing staff we have, and it looks like we are in big trouble.

You only have to put the names of our players into the search option on this site...

http://www.soccerbas...?playerid=40935 to see their stats and the poor quality we have at present.

I don't want to piss on our parade after a hard fought point today, but with the distraction of all this stadium crap and our poor general form, i'd be interested to know what others think.

I don't think even God could get our playing staff to click and become a good team. Too me and others it seems, we have really, really poor players.

ohh if only we could turn back time.... that team in your signature would put a smile on everyones faces ... & I'd be much younger, fitter & optimistic! :)

http://www.soccerbas...?playerid=40935 to see their stats and the poor quality we have at present.

FFS! Who gives toss for what an elderly fan Burnley thinks?

8 games into the season and its all doom and gloom already.

Guest Calamity James

I dont think your p!ssing on anyones parade.

I think this season/team has relegation written all over it. worrying times

We are far too good to go down. Get at least 1 point at Portsmouth, then spank Norwich to sit mid-table this time next week.

Why is he playing 2 defensive midfielders is what i can't understand. What's wrong with Johnson?

Interesting response's...But it's not really about the last 8 games is it? It's the last 2 seasons, where we have gone backwards rather than forwards. Think about it. Are we really a stronger squad than when we first came up. Players have come and gone. Replaced by what? The same quality or worse. We are on a downward spiral...

I'm all for optimism...but blind optimism?

Comments like, 'we are too good to go down'...I'm sure Norwich, Leeds, Southampton, Leicester all said the same thing...

We all need to start seeing what we really have become. A very Poor side.

And yes... I do hope we avoid relegation...but for many reasons, we have really ****** up the last 2 years.

ohh if only we could turn back time.... that team in your signature would put a smile on everyones faces ... & I'd be much younger, fitter & optimistic! :)

Unforunatley i am old enough to remember that team and i also remember the stick Ritchie got along with Dave Rogers Merrick and even Kevin Mabbutt so please dont think it was any better then as far as fans complaing is concerned cus it wasnt ........... sorry

That's hardly the response you'd expect from the seeker of sage or whatever you are.

Actually, your post is pretty rude. You happily start a thread every single week giving your opinion about the latest game.

I don't really think it's on to dismiss someone else's so quickly. Besides, sometimes people from other club's occasionally have useful perspectives. Unless that is, you think you know it all.

Unless we start keeping clean sheets at home, we will struggle.

PNE & Palarse are definately worse than us but the trouble is the rest of the annual strugglers (Derby, Coventry, Scunny, Barnsley Watford etc, etc) are picking up results........I know it is early doors but wins breed confidence.

Portsmouth, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough & Hull have too much class to be down there after 46 games.

Norwich is a must win game for us and it won't be easy like some think it will be.

BCAGFC

What worries me the most, is that our Chairman and fans realised last season was very poor. The playing staff was Poor and we played poorly.

Our Chairman acted and brought in SC. For whatever reasons...it went wrong ( which i still find strange, that it went so quiet, but that's another story). Was SC brought in to work with what playing staff we had, or to bring in his own? He left and imho, Millen was given the job, because he knew the current crop of players and time had run out.

So we have the best part of last seasons crop of poor players, brought in some even poorer, some for the future and some journeyman, and our best player out for most of the season. That is not the formula for any success in this league.

We can support as much as we like. Be optimistic and shout our heads off in unbridled support. But at the end of the day, unless we bring in some quality all round, we are stuffed. It is what it is. I don't like it either. Also with all this crap of the new Stadium, it's detracting away from what is more important. The time limits on this Stadium and the fact we cannot buy until the next window, have unfortunately, imo, screwed us royally.

Untill we get some creativity in midfield its obvious we eill struggle. We cant go through to January without any real creative football. I take on board what fans of other teams say about us. They tell the truth whereas 90% of City fans look at our team/squad through rose tinted glasses.

My nephews a Burnley s/t holder and he was really frustrated today, he said that we were really poor and still doesnt know how Burnley failed to score. He stated that we have no one with any class in midfield and i agree.

I've been a member of this forum and it's other guises for probably 10 years now, and you are one of the wierdest members i've ever come across.

This isn't suppose to be abusive, so please do not take in that way, but when you don't like someone / something, it's the end of the world and you chuck poop around like there's no tomorrow. When you like something / someone then the world couldn't be rosier.

I love your self conviction and disdain for those who hold opions polar to yours.

I geniuinely have respect for people who cannot see past themselves. I find them infinately more interesting and amusing than those who are bland enough to not try impress themselves on the world.

Untill we get some creativity in midfield its obvious we eill struggle. We cant go through to January without any real creative football. I take on board what fans of other teams say about us. They tell the truth whereas 90% of City fans look at our team/squad through rose tinted glasses.

My nephews a Burnley s/t holder and he was really frustrated today, he said that we were really poor and still doesnt know how Burnley failed to score. He stated that we have no one with any class in midfield and i agree.

Totally agree....I always read our opponents forums to get a better perspective of how our team played on the day. They are very honest in their appraisals, but like ourselves see their own team through rose tinted specs.

Apparently DJ's performance today, was one of the best ever seen at Turf Moore.

Unforunatley i am old enough to remember that team and i also remember the stick Ritchie got along with Dave Rogers Merrick and even Kevin Mabbutt so please dont think it was any better then as far as fans complaing is concerned cus it wasnt ........... sorry

God isn't that right...Our supporters barracking Gerry Sweeney and The Cheese (before he became god) was an embarrassment.

David Rogers, Geoff Merrick Jimmy Mann and Micky Brolly used to get the same treatment...The only one who was exempt was Gerry Gow as he could have taken the East End easily on his own :worship2:

I don't really understand everyone being really negative when we just got a hard fought draw away to arguably one of the best teams in the league?

I personally think this result is a stepping stone. Just get a few points here and there and a few wins and we'll steer away from relegation. We got good enough players.

I bet 90% of City fans will say we got a better team then Watford, and look where they are!

Keep positive please.

Today is a good result. No question about that.

But still the forum seems to be a place to have a moan, slate individual performances, question tactics and be the profit of doom.

The team performance was probably the most committed this season and in my opinion James had his best game yet in a City shirt.

I have come away thinking we have turned a corner but still have a lot to do to achieve our true potential. The best is yet to come if we can be bothered to believe.

I just don't understand why there is such a negative and potentially destructive attitude around.

But still the forum seems to be a place to have a moan, slate individual performances, question tactics and be the profit of doom.

The team performance was probably the most committed this season and in my opinion James had his best game yet in a City shirt.

I have come away thinking we have turned a corner but still have a lot to do to achieve our true potential. The best is yet to come if we can be bothered to believe.

I just don't understand why there is such a negative and potentially destructive attitude around.

I thought i was the only one who was trying to stay positive. Well done sir.

Unless we start keeping clean sheets at home, we will struggle.

PNE & Palarse are definately worse than us but the trouble is the rest of the annual strugglers (Derby, Coventry, Scunny, Barnsley Watford etc, etc) are picking up results........I know it is early doors but wins breed confidence.

Portsmouth, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough & Hull have too much class to be down there after 46 games.

Norwich is a must win game for us and it won't be easy like some think it will be.

BCAGFC

Who on earth thinks Noriwch will be an easy game? They'll be in or around the play-offs this season, despite their loss today. By the way, they had a very impressive crowd of 30,000 at Carrow Road today!

fair play mate

People complained when Robbored moaned and now when he stops it is used as an excuse to complain about him. Why do some of you care so much about another persons opinion? It was a great result today but the important thing is, whether we can build on it or not and only time will tell. In the meantime it's no use worrying about how doomed you think we are.

Haynes is superb. Hartley was a great signing. This season, Adomah & Stead are looking good. David James was surely a coup.

Spot on with inconsistency (especially due to poor morale), but often players fail to make any good impression. All of those strikers can't have been rubbish - the service has been poor and we suck on the break.

I think most people felt like that after S****horpe and remind me what happened there? I guess time will tell but I would suggest we still need to improve an awful lot if we are to get much from the next 5. People can keep saying but we've only played 8 games or whatever - how long can we keep using early season as an excuse? After next saturday we will be at that magic number of 10 games played and nearly a quarter of the season gone - I think that should give us a fairly good indication of how the season will pan out.

Great point yesterday I think most people will agree but we have been battered. 28 goal attempts - thats probably more than we have had all season.

It's good to see a clean sheet, will do the defences confidence a world of good - I just hope that on tuesday and next saturday that we can get on the front foot a bit more and impose our game on the opposition.

A couple defeats and we could begin to get cut a drift at the bottom, A couple of wins and we are going in the right direction.

Haynes is superb. Hartley was a great signing. This season, Adomah & Stead are looking good. David James was surely a coup.

Spot on with inconsistency (especially due to poor morale), but often players fail to make any good impression. All of those strikers can't have been rubbish - the service has been poor and we suck on the break.

If you read all of my posts on this thread you will understand better my conclusions...

Haynes...check his records out, and if he's so good, why did Ipswich let him go for Peanuts?

Hartley...yes great player...but as I stated, at the end of his career.

Adomah...Unproven lower league player...one for the future?

Stead...A Journeyman Pro...who's had more Clubs than hot dinners, with a Goal ratio of 0.2 goals per game...

James...At the end of his career...but fantastic for us non the less.

This post isn't about being negative...it's about reality. Seriously...are we a better squad of players, with a better manager, playing better football than we were when we first got Promoted? Imo...No. We have gone backwards each season. There is no progress. We are on a downward spiral.

Apart from Maynard...what is the point of all the players we have brought in?

Go through the squad...With a few exceptions, How many of them are going to make a big impact this season? Yes...we have a few players that might improve in the future. But the majority are not going to get any better, just worse.

We are a poor quality squad at this moment in time. It is what it is...

Our squad consists of below average Championship players, journeyman, unproven at this level youngsters, and some at the end of their careers.

I'm not being negative...just seeing it for what it is.

How good do you think we should be in 'reality'? Do you think the other teams are going to stop buying players so that we can overtake them. My view is that we have improved the squad, had a difficult start to the season which is perfectly understandable due to the ridiculous injury count, including last seasons top scorer lest we forget, and the manegerial merry-go-round during August. We are settling as a team, starting to believe again and I see us continuing the progress over the coming weeks. Though I agree RR has a very unique way of putting things, the Burnley fan in the OP probably isnt the mr miaggi of football and maybe we should see who is right come christmas?

If you read all of my posts on this thread you will understand better my conclusions...

Haynes...check his records out, and if he's so good, why did Ipswich let him go for Peanuts?

Hartley...yes great player...but as I stated, at the end of his career.

Adomah...Unproven lower league player...one for the future?

Stead...A Journeyman Pro...who's had more Clubs than hot dinners, with a Goal ratio of 0.2 goals per game...

James...At the end of his career...but fantastic for us non the less.

This post isn't about being negative...it's about reality. Seriously...are we a better squad of players, with a better manager, playing better football than we were when we first got Promoted? Imo...No. We have gone backwards each season. There is no progress. We are on a downward spiral.

Apart from Maynard...what is the point of all the players we have brought in?

Go through the squad...With a few exceptions, How many of them are going to make a big impact this season? Yes...we have a few players that might improve in the future. But the majority are not going to get any better, just worse.

We are a poor quality squad at this moment in time. It is what it is...

Our squad consists of below average Championship players, journeyman, unproven at this level youngsters, and some at the end of their careers.

I'm not being negative...just seeing it for what it is.

Excellent Post!!

How good do you think we should be in 'reality'? Do you think the other teams are going to stop buying players so that we can overtake them. My view is that we have improved the squad, had a difficult start to the season which is perfectly understandable due to the ridiculous injury count, including last seasons top scorer lest we forget, and the manegerial merry-go-round during August. We are settling as a team, starting to believe again and I see us continuing the progress over the coming weeks. Though I agree RR has a very unique way of putting things, the Burnley fan in the OP probably isnt the mr miaggi of football and maybe we should see who is right come christmas?

'Continue the Progress'...Do you really believe we have progressed? How?...we have gone backwards since our first season up. Statistics don't lie!!! You only have to watch with your own eye's to see how poor we have become.

We have not bought wisely or developed our youngsters wisely...that is why other teams are overtaking us.

When was the last time we controlled a game? When was the last time you witnessed City playing good quality football, where we were in control of the game? We grind out a few results, play on the back foot and try on the break. We do not have the quality to control games. It's been like that for the last two seasons.

People complained when Robbored moaned and now when he stops it is used as an excuse to complain about him. Why do some of you care so much about another persons opinion? It was a great result today but the important thing is, whether we can build on it or not and only time will tell. In the meantime it's no use worrying about how doomed you think we are.

A draw against a team that apparently walked all over us and did everything but score is not in my opinion any cause for celebration. Keith is an honest and likeable guy but the wrong appointment in my view. For all the money SL put in we have little to show or to take comfort from except Maynard's return which can't come soon enough. I hope I'm wrong but I see a long hard winter coming

Archived