IGNORED

Willem Ii Fans...

spudski

...Apologies first, if this has been covered before.

I was flicking through my 'First 100 Years' Book this morning. And i noticed on page 130, there is a picture of City fans, in what looks like the Open end,from the 1992/93 season, i'm guessing. There is a lad there wearing a Willem II shirt. Did these lads start coming over to follow us as far back as 92 then? Fair play to 'em.

I do something similar. I also follow Lazio, and have been going over to see them since 1995/96. Suprising how many other English fans do this.

Anyone on here follow other teams abroad?

I have been to Werder Bremen several times over the last 10 years home and away as well as champions league. There is another city fan who sits in the dolman that goes to Bremen and Dortmund and has made friends with some German fans that come over to watch city

Hadjuk Split for me

Hertha bsc Berlin for me then portimonense in Portugal

Did a bit of Glory Hunting back in the day and supported FC Tirol Innsbruck whilst living in Austria. Won the title 3 times and then went bust!

A Mate and I also got stopped by German Border Police whilst wearing their shirts and were thoroughly confused that we were English.

Hellas Verona for me. I went over to watch them beat Alessandria 2-0 last weekend. Hellas have hit hard times lately and are down in the Italian 3rd division but they still get decent support at home games, around 12,000. Their Ultras that congregate on the Curva Sud really get behind their team and sing constantly throughout the game. There must be 3-4,000 of them on the Curva all singing together so the noise is very impressive.

i am a big fan of Parma in Italy....my mother is sicilian so having an italian team is fundamental to me.......they are a very unfashionable club with s@it stadium etc, but over last 15 years have had the likes of asprilla/zola/dino baggio/buffon/cannavoaro/di vaio/crespo play for them

Great club and great home kit

Hellas Verona for me. I went over to watch them beat Alessandria 2-0 last weekend. Hellas have hit hard times lately and are down in the Italian 3rd division but they still get decent support at home games, around 12,000. Their Ultras that congregate on the Curva Sud really get behind their team and sing constantly throughout the game. There must be 3-4,000 of them on the Curva all singing together so the noise is very impressive.

Ah, that's just reminded me of the book 'A season with Verona' by Tim Parks. A great football book in which a brit journo follows Hellas around. Well worth a read.

I saw a group of about 4 Galatasary fans exiting the Atyeo as well last night. All had scarfs and atleast 1 had a shirt. I dont know if they have a connection with any other fans of ours or if they are regulars who just like to show they are Galatasary fans but they were all pretty excited by our win

there was about30 of them in the ateo last nite :bruce_h4h:

Ahhhh...The Bentegodi. I love that Stadium. In fact it was one of the first Away stadiums i ever visited. Mutu was playing for Verona then. Years ago. I have a good friend Roberto who has a season ticket their. He never misses a game. I tease him terribly about 'The flying Donkeys' :laugh:.

I go in the Curva Nord at the Olympico...it's nuts...but in a good way. You just can't get that kind of football atmosphere in England anymore. So i have to get my fix abroad.

Tim Park's book is excellent, i've read it twice. There is another good book called The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. Worth a read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tprmFNy-Q

Been to watch Fetiye Spor in Turkey. Pretty low standard of football, probably our version of Div 3 but fantastic atmosphere, and the whole team is made up of local lads. Quite strange being in a crowd of 20,000 in a stadium that only holds 10,000 and being the only westerner in the whole ground. Awesome to be part of it though, plus a good way of learning how to swear in Turkish. Actually the only word I really recognised was "offside", apparently there is no Turkish equivalent, so they just say it in English. Bazaar. (Bazaar? Turkish? Get it?? ... TAXI!)

Interesting, that so far, 3 people have made this thread their first posts! I've found through my travels, many people who now travel to watch Football abroad. Especially since the likes of Ryan Air and Easy Jet appeared. Watching Football in Europe, is very much how it used to be in the UK. More people do it than you think.

Sadly football in Australia is awful and going to a Sydney FC game is worse than non league ability wise made worse by about 12,000 fans in a 40,000+ seater stadium... atmosphere a plenty....

However i went to Adelaide last season and while purchasing a hotdog from the supporters club sausage sizzle was handed a song sheet for the new season which included a certain wurzels classic you might have heard of called 'drink up ye cider'.... Can't say i heard it being sung that game or if its taken off now but bless them for trying. I think it was edited to 'going down to melbourne' rather than rovers.

Sadly football in Australia is awful and going to a Sydney FC game is worse than non league ability wise made worse by about 12,000 fans in a 40,000+ seater stadium... atmosphere a plenty....

However i went to Adelaide last season and while purchasing a hotdog from the supporters club sausage sizzle was handed a song sheet for the new season which included a certain wurzels classic you might have heard of called 'drink up ye cider'.... Can't say i heard it being sung that game or if its taken off now but bless them for trying. I think it was edited to 'going down to melbourne' rather than rovers.

Queensland Roar i watch, not really got a choice though..:laugh:

I only really care about City, in all fairness it doesn't bother me to much when the roar don't win.

It's AEK for me.

Been going to Athens since the late 90's when Stelios started his (then cheap) flights out of Luton. Biggest game I've been to? AEK v Inter (2-2) in 2002.............missed all 4 goals because of the smoke from the flares!

Maddest game?

v Panathinaikos 2006 at the OAKA Olympic Stadium. Just shows how thorough their security checks are at the entrances out there!

I think that the most common link between AEK and BCFC is the new stadium thing. The good burghers of Ashton Vale are very similar to the sharing, caring neighbours in Nea Filadelfia as far as opposition is concerned by the looks of it. Look, maybe BCFC and AEK should just get over it and do the inevitable........MERGE

http://www.stadia.gr...-20-5-2005.html

COME ON YOU REDS........ER YELLOWS.....ER REDS.....etc

AEKLogo.jpg

Right then Spudski i'm going to have to hate you because i follow AS Roma!! i have seen them twice, the 7-1 defeat at United and a 1-0 defeat at Boro, exciting times!!! but seriously i have never been abroad and would quite like to visit Rome for a weekend and catch a game, what kind of deals/prices do you know of?

Right then Spudski i'm going to have to hate you because i follow AS Roma!! i have seen them twice, the 7-1 defeat at United and a 1-0 defeat at Boro, exciting times!!! but seriously i have never been abroad and would quite like to visit Rome for a weekend and catch a game, what kind of deals/prices do you know of?

I've always had a soft spot for Roma, no idea why, I just loved Totti when I was younger and then started to follow their results a bit. I've always wanted to watch a game there, would be awesome. Watching a game at the Nou Camp is something I'd like to do in the not too distant future as well.

Archived