IGNORED

A G 1947

slartibartfast

http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=57871

Not very good with clicky/shortcut things but thought this might interest some.

Ashton circa 1947 ( note no Williams

1947, my dad took me to my first game at the gate. Some fond memories in that video, especially the clothes and the home hacked hair cuts. One of the lads late in the video looks like a young Jon Stead on the attack ???

Perhaps Jon Stead Embryo.

1947, our street gang of 12 had one old leather football and a tin of Dubbin . We took it in turns to look after the ball. In 1949 my sister started work and bought me an old bike for 4 quid. It had a basket for a paper run, I earned 7 shillings a week and was then able to save and buy my own football, aged around 8.

http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=57871

Not very good with clicky/shortcut things but thought this might interest some.

Ashton circa 1947 ( note no Williams)

Good video that and yes no williams stand as post war restrictions meant no bulding permits.

Before the williams there used to be a stand called old number one stand and was built for the redeveloped Ashton gate ground in 1904, it seated 1,200 people however it was mostly destroyed by a german bombing raid the night of 3rd january 1941. Three months later further bombs fell on the pitch, as well as finishing off the number one stand during the night of 11th april 1941.

Building restrictions in post war britain meant it was 1951 before a permit was issued to the club to build a new grand stand, and work began the summer of 1951 when the first half nearest the EE was completed. A steel shortage and lack of funds delayed completion untill 1953 when the supporters club made a donation of £3,000 towards it's costs. The city directors, in turn, leased the supporters club space beneath the stand for it's first permanent home. The stand was named the williams stand on 4th june 1992 in memory of city's late chairman Des williams and has altered much over the years, including the provision of a press box at the back in 1969, a new directors box in 1973 and introduction of seating over the old terraced enclosure along with extended roof which also joined to the EE all done in 1991.

And after all that time, the east end is still standing.

Proper workmanship with a stand where there is nothing wrong with it.

All those hooligans too, on the edge of the pitch and invading it at the end. Tut tut.

When we transferred Bourton & Keating in the 1920's, the buying club actually gave us some corrugated iron as part of the payment and that was used at the back of the East End. For some years that end was referred to as the "Bourton Keating Stand"!

When we transferred Bourton & Keating in the 1920's, the buying club actually gave us some corrugated iron as part of the payment and that was used at the back of the East End. For some years that end was referred to as the "Bourton Keating Stand"!

True and the EE has had 2 roofs.....

In 1916, the covered end (eastend) was badly damaged by gales and in December the following year the roof was demolished after being declared unsafe. It was not untill 1928 that the roof was replaced, paid for by the money which city had recived from the transfers of Albert keating and Clarrie bourton, who were both sold to Blackburn rovers for a combined fee of £3,650. The structure that went up in the wake of their departure is still there today, known to home fans as the EastEnd, Covered end or winterstoke road end. Originally, it was affectionately referred to as the ''Keating Stand''. During the 1986-87 season the roof again was renewd and sheeted in red.

This video reminds me of how the ground used to look.

A pretty much continous ring of terracing all around the ground. Two seated stands were situated behind this lower ring along the lengths of the pitch. Not unlike the proposed layout of the new stadium, seats instead of terracing ofcourse. So I think the new stadium is in keeping with tradition.

True and the EE has had 2 roofs.....

In 1916, the covered end (eastend) was badly damaged by gales and in December the following year the roof was demolished after being declared unsafe. It was not untill 1928 that the roof was replaced, paid for by the money which city had recived from the transfers of Albert keating and Clarrie bourton, who were both sold to Blackburn rovers for a combined fee of £3,650. The structure that went up in the wake of their departure is still there today, known to home fans as the EastEnd, Covered end or winterstoke road end. Originally, it was affectionately referred to as the ''Keating Stand''. During the 1986-87 season the roof again was renewd and sheeted in red.

Any idea of the origin of the name 'Ashton Gate' ? I always assumed it was literally a gate(way) in Ashton that led into the City of Bristol, similar to Lawfords Gate.

Any idea of the origin of the name 'Ashton Gate' ? I always assumed it was literally a gate(way) in Ashton that led into the City of Bristol, similar to Lawfords Gate.

Thats not too far off the mark as years ago there was a rail link going in to the city center, the portishead railway line was running within a few yards of the ground and also Clifton bridge station was a short distance away, although i've not seen anything written down to say for sure of how the name was given. Ashton gate railway station closed in 1964.

mind you It could go further back to toll gates dotted around bristol as a toll house at the western end of North Street still survives and indicates the origin of the area's name.

Thanks to Cider Head et al for great info on our history and it certainly beats the usual detritus on this forum.

Cheers :farmer:

I do like me city history...

Ashton gate Once part of the estate of the Smyth family of Ashton court the area had ironworks and collieries in the nineteenth century also a tobacco factory and a brewery.

Archived