IGNORED

Apathy...

spudski

I have read almost all this thread ( I skimmed some) and there are some very well made points, but I am the only one that thinks that it isn't all about the capacity of the stadium, (well not for the foreseeable future anyway)?

From what I have read, I thought the idea of the new stadium was to increase non-matchday income for the club through varying corporate means, and obviously, apart from concerts, the stadium capacity doesn't make any difference to those revenue streams. This is so the club can hopefully make enough to stand on its own two feet financially, or as near as damn-it, as possible, which isn't possible at AG without redevelopment.

For me, the capacity will only really become an issue if, and its a damn big if, we ever start to achieve consistent success in the Prem, and by consistent success I mean pushing top 5 for a while and maybe a few cup wins. Then we will start to see 25/30K crowds more often.

If however, we start to do really well, and by this I mean Champions League and maybe a title or two, then we could become the club that kids from other cities start following and it leaves a legacy which will last years. If we started doing as well as Arsenal, ManU and whoever then I think a 50K stadium wouldn't be enough with the size of our catchment area. That of course is many years down the line, if ever, but you have to start somewhere and getting on a more stable financial keel should be the first step and the new stadium should hopefully help with that all being well.

]

Your Opinion is just as important as anyone elses is.

The point i am making is that we have a Chairman, who has stated certain specifics, but has never backed it up with fact, figures etc.

I'm not saying he is wrong... I would just like to give my support to something that has some depth rather than just words. Too many grey areas for my liking. SL is a great Chairman...no doubt.But he has won the faith and respect of City fans, rightfully due, but many have stopped questioning his decisions. He is now in a very powerful position regarding our Clubs future. I am not one for just going along with things. BCFC is bigger than SL however good he has done for this Club.Lets not forget that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spudski

I'm quite confident that our chairman will have sanctioned certain surveys/projections before embarking on his course of action.

As some are saying that they don't want to watch games with a stadium only two thirds full, I have news for them, we do at present.

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumilate and I believe we have greater potential than many clubs that are percieved to be bigger than us.

To increase average attendances you need prolonged success, we have come close on a few occasions but have never achieved this due to a lack of prolonged investment. This chairman is willing and has said he is willing to do just that, which will improve our chances of prolonged success.

There are many people opposed to the new stadium, some are on here at this very moment trying to undermine the plans.

Do you honestly think the chairman would reveal the financial details/ projections/forecasts of these plans?

I have experience when dealing with some of the opposition, believe me, they would use those figures/statistics to argue against the stadium. They would be twisted, exagerated, altered, ridiculed, all to the detriment of those plans.

The best way is to play your cards close to your chest and stay positive, which in difficult circumstances, the chairman is doing.

Seats too expensive- food pants- drinks overpriced

People have more respect for their money these days

Until we offer value for money- or even close to it- fans will stay away. I can imagine the club with a new stadium now thinking they are the new wembley- charging £4-5 for a pie etc...

Charge a decent whack or get promoted is the only way we will ever see sustained increased attendance.

say at Ashton vale we usually get ... 20000 per game in the championship, then get a promotion race, play-off games, or high profile cup draw and get some near 30000 crowds. thats 100000£ extra per game if they each payed just 10£, add in refreshments, merch. hospitality guests.

comparing Bristol (regional capital, 6th biggest population in the country, 8th biggest uk,) to darlington(... ) is silly.

I can't see City getting 20k in the Championship at AV without sustained success. It's hard to think of any club in a new stadium without a history of big crowds which has attracted the sort of numbers you speculate above without PL football. Derby at a push but they've previously had a history of successful top league football over a long period to build up their fan base. Plus Derby is a genuine football area.

We never averaged more than 23k. last time we were in the top league, and I remember being in a 12k crowd v. Middlesbro'.

I didn't mention Darlington but you can't really compare Bristol with anywhere else football wise imo, it is the very opposite of a hot-bed - Bristol and surrounding areas are an ice-bed of football if you like.

I think you hugely over estimate the enthusiasm of the local population to go out every week and pay to watch football in this City, and SL does too for that matter.

They'll come in numbers to watch the big 6 but against the less interesting clubs we'll be struggling to get 20,000, just like last time, once the novelty of PL football wears off.

If the tree huggers and nimbys in Bedminster derail the new stadium, forget any large scale development of the Gate..they'll oppose ANY further improvements of Ashton Gate. Most of the likes of Red Trousers loathe football and all its working class roots. they want a nice twee eco mental, fair trade village with no trace of the real world to **** up their world view. And the majority of the residents of the area as opposed to the fans will help them. Less traffic, less police less hassle. more parking, more tofu restaurants, more bijou flats and a better class of resident. (In their twisted view) Lets not forget the amount of hassle Brighton had with the ground they tried to build at Falmer. same type of people, albeit with more money

Archived