IGNORED

Premier League Superb ?

The Red Planet

La Liga is easily the best now,

They have the best players by far, someone mention Nasri and Fabrigas at Arsenal, Drogba, Lampard at Chelsea, the likes of Berbatov and Rooney at Man Utd, Modric and Bale at Spurs. The list goes on and on.

Real Madrid: Casillas, Ramos, Kaka, Ronaldo, Alonso, Hihuain, di Maria, Ozil

Barca: Daniel Alves, David Villa, Iniesta, Messi, Busquets, Xavi

can anyone honestly say that postition wise any players from the prem are better??

Rooney or Messi? Messi

Fabrigas or Xavi? Xavi

Bale or Ronaldo? Ronaldo

The players you mention are either Spanish and World Cup winners or Portugese. Hardly a reflection on the depth of quality they have outside of the top two clubs. Barca and Real Madrid.

La Liga is far too predictable despite having the best two players in the World.

If you want to guage just how strong the PL just look at the Champions League. Most of the time all the PL teams qualify from the group stages and do very well in the knock out stages. There are frequently more PL clubs in the quarter finals than any other league.

Thr PL is far too negative. The prizes at that level are so big and the pressure to succeed so great everyone is scared to lose so more often than not the big games end in anti-climax bore draws or are edged due to a bit of luck. Not what football is about IMO.

Give me the Football league over that dross, any one who watched the QPR V Watford match on BBC2 last Friday will know exactly what I mean.

Intrestingly i just looked up the La LIga and Prem winners over the last 15 years. 5 teams have won La liga in that time, Barca,R Madrid,Valencia,Dep La Coruna and A Madrid.

In England its 4, Man Utd,Chelaea,Arsenal and Blackburn.

I'd forgotten about Deportivo and I didn't know Athletico had won it in that time tbf. If you look more recently it has been dominated by the "Big Two" though and even though United have dominated the PL it has often been very close, going to the final day even.

Unfortunately, i've watched Man Utd at Old Trafford more than i've seen City play at Ashton Gate this season. The Gate and City in the Championship are far more entertaining week in, week out than the Prem. Apart from 'Big' games, Old Trafford is like a morgue.

Regarding watering the pitch...this is common practice. Often AF will instruct only one side of the pitch to be watered, depending on which way they are attacking.

Unfortunately, i've watched Man Utd at Old Trafford more than i've seen City play at Ashton Gate this season. The Gate and City in the Championship are far more entertaining week in, week out than the Prem. Apart from 'Big' games, Old Trafford is like a morgue.

Regarding watering the pitch...this is common practice. Often AF will instruct only one side of the pitch to be watered, depending on which way they are attacking.

Thanks Spudski.

As a BCFC Forum poster whose opinion (and knowledge of the game) I respect, it's good to know you share my views after just my second ever game at Old Trafford.

As I said, Old Trafford is a fantastic stadium which we have all seen on TV, but when you are physically there, it is actually far more impressive than it looks on the telly - particularly when you remember that this ground (unlike purpose built venues like The Emirates) has been constantly developed and re-built over several decades.

With regard to the lack of "atmosphere" there - what it comes down to is that about 60% of the crowd (this is unique to global brand MUFC) are actually football "tourists".

I am not knocking fans from around the UK and across the world who have followed Man U all their life and perhaps only ever come to just one or two games at Old Trafford, but this does not create a great passion in the stadium.

Unlike AG (most of the time during home games)

Long may that continue and (hopefully) that spirit will transfer to Ashton Vale.

I believe it will.

Thanks for the kind words :blush: Appreciated...

You are spot on regarding how impressive the Stadium is. When you are in it, you can feel the history. Walking up Matt Busby way to the ground really is an experience on match day.And your observation of the fans is also correct. So many tourists and one off's. On European nights the atmosphere can get quiet good, but no where near as much fun as a full and rocking AG. From my experience too, OT has the biggest moaners for fans, when things are not going to plan. The Premier League is not the be all and end all for having a proper and enjoyable football experience in this Country.

If you get the chance to go again. Try going to one of the reserve games. A good number go. You get to sit anywhere in the main stand. Either behind the dug out or near the Directors box is good. Often AF and Sir BC will turn up for games and you can get to chat, if they are not surrounded by Autograph hunters. Only a fiver and you get to see some quality players.

As you probably know, I would prefer a redeveloped AG...to keep the history and vibe going. But if AV goes ahead, then so be it, and i hope the AG atmosphere travels well to it. Here's hoping.

my hope for the forum has been restored with this thread. a very good debate with opposing views but no bitching or snide comments.

my take, i went to watch spurs V Liverpool a few weeks back and it was the quietest i have ever seen WHL, 40,000 people and at times you could hear a pin drop. i feel that the premier league is over-hyped and i would much rather watch la liga than the PL. unfortunately i can only see the standard of premier league football and english talent keep diminishing due to foreign investors in the game.

the fa have tried to combat this with the new squad ruling which has really helped championship clubs signing loanees however this is not the solution long term, i think in spain you can only have five players in your match squad that were born outside the EU. maybe we should try something like that.

Spurs-Chelsea wasn't half bad the day before. IMO it depends on what kind of football you like to watch, in big games at least 7/10 do not live up to the hype. On atmosphere i been to Stamford Bridge a few times, Champions league games atmosphere amazing, Sat/Sun game you think you were at a different stadium, but the atmosphere when we beat Reading 1-0 this season on a Tues night this season beats anything i have ever heard at Chelsea.

Again I think we're getting abit OTT, the Gate isnt exactly rocking these days, mostly silent other than the EE now and then.

It's still better than a lot of grounds in the Premier League. However...you are correct, the atmosphere at the Gate and most English grounds these days has become sterile and quiet.

The introduction of seating and the amount of football shown on television, has watered down the anticipation and excitement of going to watch a game these days.

The standard of football is not particularly different throughout the rest of Europe, yet the atmosphere in general, is much more how it used to be over here. Fans tend to stand, even though there are seats. They are allowed to bring in banners and flags. Allowed in many cases to bring a drink into the ground. The music is turned up. There is choreography amongst the fans and ultras...generally there is a part atmosphere.

Again I think we're getting abit OTT, the Gate isnt exactly rocking these days, mostly silent other than the EE now and then.

I don't hear the EE that much, although I can see they're often quite animated and I gather the away supporters rate their noise very highly.

Where I sit, Lower Dolman under A/B Blocks there's always a very passionate atmosphere amongst the supporters although, again, that doesn't necessarily always translate into a huge volume that could be heard around the ground.

I'd say most people who go to the Gate regularly are passionate Bristol City fans and this in itself works in our favour because when everyone gets going 13,000 fanatics can create a really formidable atmosphere.

Archived