IGNORED

Millen

Modestant

Just listening to KM on City Player saying that "Todays defeat was a wake up call?"

NO Keith LAST WEEK was the wake up call - today just proved we are still fast asleep?

Also he says "That we are to nice a team to play against and we are soft?"

Well sorry but "To nice and soft" presently totally sums up my opinion of you - and sadly I think that, that is presently not what we require....................

Simon, I too am just listening to his interview and listening to Millen has reassured me completely that he is the right man for the job. He is honest and insightful and has publicly acknowledged the problems we are all complaining about.

The fact he has acknowledged those problems tells me he will be doing all within his power to fix them.

I am as depressed as most fans i would imagine. But i would stick with Millen. Firstly he has not had a chance to mold his own team, let alone squad. I believe in stabilty and am never keen on swapping managers. IMO the players have to shoulder the majority of the blame. Im not saying Millen is untouchable, ive not agreed with everything he has done myself. But ive seen us take apart a very good team in Cardiff and get a point away to QPR, for me that comes down to proffesionalism. They seem to raise their games for the big games and not for games like today. What annoys me more than anything is the workrate. We use to be well known for our workrate, but today we got out ran, out muscled and they simply wanted it more. That is inexcuseable for me. We use to run teams into the ground. I can totally understand Lansdowne wanting to cut our cloth accordingly, so i believe patience is essentiall. None of us wants to end up like Cardiff, Portsmouth etc. So maybe we will have to wait for the new signings we can all see we need ( which KM has stated himeslf), until we clear some of the dead wood. KM has taken some stick for his team selection, but i can honestly say i think i would of played exactly the same team as he picked today( hindsight is a wonderful thing). Carey has just come back from a long break, as has Fontaine, who has admitted himself he is rusty and a yard off it. So i cant see to many arguments on his team selection. In fact from my memory, it was the same starting eleven as the Cardiff game. Which just backs up my earlier comment. He needs time, i just hope he gets it!?

Simon, I too am just listening to his interview and listening to Millen has reassured me completely that he is the right man for the job. He is honest and insightful and has publicly acknowledged the problems we are all complaining about.

The fact he has acknowledged those problems tells me he will be doing all within his power to fix them.

But did he not acknowledge similar problems after the Sheff. Weds. humiliation just last week? Quite possibly after the capitulation at Reading as well.

Was he not 'angry', and then 'FURIOUS'ranting.gifdunno.gif

Where was any evidence of a positive response from his players today?

There was no visible increase in effort, enthusiasm, determination, and commitment to the shirt, the club, and the fans.

He's acknowledged the problems, aparently talked frankly to the players and yet they were at least as dreadful as last week.

The worry has to be then that the players simply aren't listening to him.

But did he not acknowledge similar problems after the Sheff. Weds. humiliation just last week? Quite possibly after the capitulation at Reading as well.

There was no visible increase in effort, enthusiasm, determination, and commitment to the shirt, the club, and the fans.

He's acknowledged the problems, aparently talked frankly to the players and yet they were at least as dreadful as last week.

Or, simply aren't consistantly good enough to do as he says.

You can put any slant you want on their poor form in the last TWO(yes, two!) games

He was loyal to the players who did so well against arguably the best two sides in the division and they let him down, to be honest did we really expect that makeshift defence to hold out? If our perfomances don't improve when Macca, Fonts, Caulker and Carey/Ribs are back to match fitness then I'll accept the problem goes deeper than poor players.

ALL / Nogbad,

This is TOTALLY my concern? We have heard he was angry / furious?

Well where was the response today??? There was NONE, ZILCH, NOTHING from either the team but JUST as importantly from the technical area??? At one point the fourth official had to kick one of the the 'Boro coaching staff OUT of their technical area as evidently you are only allowed no more than two at any one time and they were 3 zip up at the time???? In our technical area was Keith looking like a rabbit in Watership Down and I am very sorry to say it but about as much use................

We are in the EFFLUENT let no one think other wise and the only way we are going to drag ourselves out is if everybody rolls up their sleeves and shows, passion, hard work and most importantly LEADERSHIP - AND THAT STARTS AT THE TOP

Me too !

Get rid of Mr Boring - he's utterly incompetent and inept.

This is not just about today's result

I've never rated him - as a player, Johnson's No 2 or as a manager.

Both Sheff Wed and Boro are crap teams - and they both stuffed us.

God help us if Lansdown doesn't act now.

Oh dear!, so you would sack him because "he's boring" you think Sheff Wed and Boro are crap! Why, because were higher in the standings than them and were not allowed to lose to teams lower than us!

As you said in one of your other posts,ring up the Samaritans..... Please.

Thats pretty spot on fella

Today was shit, but was it not blindingly obvious that the players were the real problem today and not Millen? Lazy ****wits.

Give Millen time to freshen the squad and make that team his own and rid the side of its complacency and then perhaps we should judge him fully.

I still stick by what i say that he is a complete waste of time and money for our beloved club. We have had a few lucky wins against teams we were not expected to but his motivational skills are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

No manager should have been cutting his teeth at this level, especially as BCFC should have known better after already having this with Tins.

I know i will probably get some stick for this, but now i can honestly say i hate the man. I will always follow City but Millen has not proved to me that he is the man to Keep us up and take this club forward.

GET A REAL MANAGER IN FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm undecided about millen - Before we hit our good run of form, I thought he was clueless.

I then saw progress on the pitch - we we're starting to become a team, but today showed me we have gone backwards.

As it is, I would leave millen in charge until end of the season - I dont think we'll get relegated - I think we'll finish about 18th.

Oh dear!, so you would sack him because "he's boring" you think Sheff Wed and Boro are crap! Why, because were higher in the standings than them and were not allowed to lose to teams lower than us!

As you said in one of your other posts,ring up the Samaritans..... Please.

scored 0 conceded 7............ even if we had played chelsea and man u that is not acceptable. I would love keef to be succesful but I think we all know thats not going to happen

Millen was in charge of our defence during Brian Tinnion's disasstrous management term...was assistant to Gary Johnson and had a good period where I believe he learned a lot and was briefly assistant to Coppell. Since being manager we have to say results have been mixed and we are nowhere nbear as consistent as we were under Johnson and Millen. I don't understand why he is so fire proof. He does not seem to have all the attributes needed at this level so we should bring in someone with more experience to work with him....if he doesn't like that idea then he should go. Where are the new signings? What evidence do we have of any motivation from him of the team? Why is he not able to get rid of any unwanted players? Is there any evidence of a style of play? Does he show any skill in bringing on the right subs? I think the answer to these questions are key and I don't like the ones I believe are true.

No manager should have been cutting his teeth at this level, especially as BCFC should have known better after already having this with Tins.

GET A REAL MANAGER IN FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Every manager has to start somewhere!! brendan rodgers started in this division and is doing well with swansea. Aidy boothroyd started at this level and got Watford promoted.

Nothing wrong with giving a manager his first job - although it is high risk.

I know i will probably get some stick for this, but now i can honestly say i hate the man

Thats quite sad - what has he done to make you hate him?

I think you should Talk to Frank

I am concerned to say the least. Think it's more a case of we've got a group of players who aren't battlers, just there for the fancy cars, women and pay package. I believe KM has the best interests of the club at hand but might need a bit of help.

Well said. no stomach for the fight ahead. Move em out for people who will.

Watford and Swansea arent BRISTOL CITY FC, Both managers you have mentioned were a lesser risk than that of our club who have ground plans, expensive wages, where relegation would cripple us....

If you had a Bugatti Veyron, would you let a novice drive it?

I dislike him because he is quite happy to sit and sponge BCFC out of his wages when he clearly hasnt got a clue. He wasnt good enough for the job before Coppell so whats new?

How can he say that today was a wake up call for us? Wasnt the Sheff Wed result?

I Think you need to talk to Frank or open your eyes.

Watford and Swansea arent BRISTOL CITY FC, Both managers you have mentioned were a lesser risk than that of our club who have ground plans, expensive wages, where relegation would cripple us....

I dislike him because he is quite happy to sit and sponge BCFC out of his wages when he clearly hasnt got a clue. He wasnt good enough for the job before Coppell so whats new?

How can he say that today was a wake up call for us? Wasnt the Sheff Wed result?

are you mentally challenged?

ah, now your assuming that I'm for millen staying???

Well no, i can do my job day in day out without proving to my employers that i cannot do my job.

If i was as shit at my job as he is his, i would expect the sack...

Is that mental happy clapper?

Please explain how I'm a happy clapper?

Well no, i can do my job day in day out without proving to my employers that i cannot do my job.

So, in your job, if you have one bad day you get sacked?

Now, how about all you moaners telling us your plans for moving City forward without putting City in even more debt, or just suggesting that Lansdowne blows even more of his kids inheritance. It is not Millen that is the problem, it is the over-spending on poor players by the previous two managers, the lack of youth policy, and a long injury list. Just think how much cash we have lost over the past few years, how much we have spent on players fees and wages, then look at the squad, and think how few saleable players we have, and how little quality we really have.

Face facts, it's gonna be tough for a few years as we offload the rubbish and get the Club running in a more sustainable manner. The alternative is a repeat of '82.

While I do have doubts about the man, this is the guy that kept us up last season from the train wreck of Johnson's last dismal season, and did it with games to spare. If thats shit, I'd love to know what good is. He was good enough to take us from 24th to 16th/17th and got a manager of the month, just last month. If thats shit, I'd like to know what good is. His team beat the Welsh scum 3-0, this less than 9 months after they tanked us 6-0 here. If thats shit, I'd love to know what good is.

While I do have doubts about the man, this is the guy that kept us up last season from the train wreck of Johnson's last dismal season, and did it with games to spare. If thats shit, I'd love to know what good is. He was good enough to take us from 24th to 16th/17th and got a manager of the month, just last month. If thats shit, I'd like to know what good is. His team beat the Welsh scum 3-0, this less than 9 months after they tanked us 6-0 here. If thats shit, I'd love to know what good is.

I don't know if the club or its backers have a few £million going spare but it would be interesting to see what Keith Millen could do with a decent transfer purse. We're still crying out for a central midfield replacement for Paul Hartley so that's the position that I'd try filling with quality if I were manager. Another central defender as well because Cisse was very poor today and he should have been substituted long before his own goal blunder.

I don't know if the club or its backers have a few £million going spare but it would be interesting to see what Keith Millen could do with a decent transfer purse. We're still crying out for a central midfield replacement for Paul Hartley so that's the position that I'd try filling with quality if I were manager. Another central defender as well because Cisse was very poor today and he should have been substituted long before his own goal blunder.

Agree there Gobster. I doubt we have a significant purse unfortunately. Cisse to be fair is a defensive midfielder, something we appear to have an abundance of. We need three defenders, cos Jamie Mac, and Carey, are close to the end of their careers, and one to cover the never replaced Bradley Orr. Fonts & Ribs (If he ever stays fit more than one or two games) are both viable team members. the biggest gap we have is as you say the non replaced Paul Hartley..

One thing thats become evident these last 2/3 years - the 'sacking culture' with some chairmen has really got into the fans. I swear people never used to be this impatient after a few bad results.

I always used to think that that sacking culture was something they did obsessively in Italy or Spain. Lose 2 on the bounce, you're out.

Some of the comments on here are so typical of the "I want success here, and I want it now" brigade. "And I don't want to have to wait for it." At the very least, Millen should be given until the rest of the season, then we'll go from there. I'd love to see some statistical evidence about whether teams who continually chop and change their managers are more or less successful than those who don't. My guess, just a guess mind, is probably not. The best clubs are those that stick by their managers, ignore fans with short term memories, and don't give in to media bandwagons.

This hasn't been a great season, granted. In fact, it's proving to be worse than last, and last season was pretty poor. This division is a real struggle. A real scrap. So many teams of similar quality, with usually one or two who race away at the top. We got a top manager in the summer and he walked out on us. I'm not entirely sure what else Lansdown can do. We are not a big, attractive club. Not by any means. The last two seasons have been real reality checks.

Changing your manager every season won't bring success. It just makes you look like Newcastle.

The real, genuine, supporters get behind their team when things are going badly. The ones who only turn up when things are rosy would be better off supporting those huge plcs in the Premier League.

I'm not saying Millen will get us promoted, or is the right man (I wasn't too pleased when he was given the job), but he's what we have for the moment.

And for once, somebody blame the bloody players. Why is it always the manager that gets the stick?

Remember though, Millen is not a "name" and for some reason people would prefer we had some blithering moron like Gary Megson in charge than KM...

Numerous names suggested over the last year tell me exactly what I need to know about certains fans grasp of football, and it doesn't go much further than "I saw him on MOTD, he must know a thing or two about football"

The most frustrating aspect of the current lack of support or trust in Keith is that none of those who "dislike" Millen will consider all the factors that have made the beggining of his reign more difficult.

He has a squad FULL of the last two managers mistakes. "Hunt, Stewart, Cissé, Williams, Sproule, Nyatanga, Clarkson)Yes he was assistant to both, But does GJ seriously look like a man who will change his mind on a signing if he fancies them?

He has a defence that is absolutely battered by injuries. Our best right back has a poor injury record, Our Captain has been unlucky all year, Our best centre half pairing hasn't played together in a month and we have struggled (like most clubs around) to attract a top quality left back

Millen inherited a midfield with precisely NO flair in it. A difficult problem to address. Here is a serious question for all you who moan about our lack of signings in the first half of the window, Who should we be signing then? do you all think it's like Football Manager or FIFA? that you can just magic up a quality player from anywhere in the world and that they will want to join Bristol City FC? Nobody outside of England will have even heard of BCFC, yet you think we can sign a creative midfielder. It takes time and patience aswel as a shit load of luck to find something as rare as that! especially on the budget we're restricted by.

Now, I'm not saying that Millen is the finished article and I'm also not garunteeing that he will prove to be a good City manager, However I am saying that since he's been here he has got us playing with two wingers (something everyone slagged GJ off for not doing) He has signed us some of the most talented players to play for BCFC in decades (Stead, Caulker) and he has shown a willingness to experiment and change.(admittedly not always with the desired effect, but that happens when you're new to management)

We've lost a couple of games... Big deal, This club (despite the pre-season promise, Which incidently DOES ANYONE THINK WE'D BE BETTER OFF WITH COPPELL STILL HERE? considering the shite he signed?)is still in a transition... We need to rebuild our squad and Millen is trying to do that, backing young and exciting players.

I know there are a lot of people who post on here who have made their minds up, and they will be to Millen what Robbored was to GJ, I have no doubts that the likes of Martyn and Melksham will never back Millen one bit. But, I ask everyone to firstly consider the bigger picture... What has millen shown us since being here?

• He is astute in the transfer market based on his success rate so far
  • He has a good relationship with our players and our Chairman
  • He had the forsight to bring in Wigley, a man with vast knowledge, experience and connections within the game
  • He has a settled side (When they are fit) that have proven (November and early december) that we can play good, winning football

Given those facts, and the fact that he has not built his own side (which based on his signings would be a much better one than this) means the man DESERVES the chance that Lansdown WILL give him. I hope those fans who have made up their mind do not become too vocal, as they offer no positives or benefits to the club... Keith Millen does not ask for your unquestioning support, merely a fair crack at the whip and for fans to at least appreciate the task at hand.

cue accusations of rose tinted spectacles and the other well worded responses.

A damn fine post, sir. Reasonable, moderate, and with some perspective; qualities sadly lacking in so many "football fans."

Archived