IGNORED

Still No Signings

old_eastender

But maybe the fact he has just scored again will make you understand why managers pay so much for PROVEN goalscorers

If this is the case why hasnt one of the teams who ply there trade in Europe come in for him,?overpriced is the answer.

Mind you,Houllier paid £11 million for Heskey 10 years ago so he has a track record :whistle2: Incidently, he sold Heskey for half that 4 years later.

In my original post i stated that Spurs paid 8 million for Vander Vaart, i think that sums up the Darren Bent fee.

Vander Vaart, twice the player three times cheaper :yes: . just my opinion like!!

Van Der Vaart was made available after having his playing time cut by signing after signing. The man is a great player, but his stock was lower than when he left Hamburg therefore lowering the fee and quickening the whole process of him leaving Madrid.

Darren Bent has been playing, and scoring regularly in a team playing in a top division. In my view no player is worth £24m but when the inflation surrounds the game is as it is, what can you do? Aston Villa had money to spend and Houllier felt that he needed more goals in his team. There were obviously a lack of alternatives, and thats what led to Villa signing Bent for such an enormous amount of money. Whether you believe he's worth it or not is largely irrelevant at the moment, as frankly, who else were they going to sign? In a year's time, if he has scored 5 goals and looks a waste of money then you can gloat, but it's still not exactly a terrible gamble. Dzeko for £27m is more of a gamble for me, as although he is a great player, not every player gels with a certain type of football (case in point Diego Forlan).

I see. So you have completely missed my point, its fine.fastasleep.gif

I'm at a loss of what you want me to say!. You know my opinion. I know yours, we aren't going to agree. I'm not missing any point, my WHOLE point is that I don't think he is worth the money. That's as plain as i can put it.

I presume you are hoping I'm going to say he's a wonderful player!!! Sorry to disappoint you!!!

My answer is that I would not have bought him in the first place so in a lot of ways your questions are irrelevant to me.

I don't scour the Premier league stats so I don't know who else Villa may have gone for.

Sunderland won without him today so they obviously didn't miss him.

Bent himself did well today and got the winner.

But........ When I joined the thread my whole point was to state what I stated, I didn't join the thread to give Villa alternative choices of strikers. I'm not concerned who else they could/should/wanted etc to sign I commented on who they DID sign.

Theres a lot of players who get bought for a lot of money that I don't feel are worth it, including some of our own.

I would even go down the salary cap route, then we would find out who the good managers are!

:closedeyes: So not even one or two loan signings before tomorrows game against forest, when were low on numbers as it is.

Its truely amazing isn't it, you'd think Millen could sign any old to$$er just so he can say he's signed someone, whether it's the right type of player or not. The bloke is utterly hopeless, I mean there must be somebody at Newport or somewhere that would jump at the chance of playing in The Chumpionship, mustn't there?

What gets me is that other clubs seem to be able to find their targets and sign them without problem. It's easy to say that we want the right player(s) at the right fee/wages, but surely all the clubs that have done business during the transfer window can't be all wrong and paid extortionate fees or wages for sub-standard players?

I think one of the reasons is that we are not a fashionable club and sometimes good players will simply refuse to come here because we are viewed as a 'backwater' club.

That said, I still think the management must take some of the responsibility for not strengthening the squad, and Millen is the main part of the management. I just think a more dynamic and forward-thinking manager would have snapped up a couple of players by now.

I really do fear that with no new faces and Millen in charge, we are going to struggle in the second half of the season and will be fortunate to retain our Championship status.

What gets me is that other clubs seem to be able to find their targets and sign them without problem. It's easy to say that we want the right player(s) at the right fee/wages, but surely all the clubs that have done business during the transfer window can't be all wrong and paid extortionate fees or wages for sub-standard players?

I think one of the reasons is that we are not a fashionable club and sometimes good players will simply refuse to come here because we are viewed as a 'backwater' club.

True enough, that is unfortunately how we are perhaps seen further afield at times. Roy Keane mentioned something about Ipswich having similar issues before he got sacked and yet historically they are a bigger club than us.

Look on the bright side, if GJ was still here he would of had a couple of trialists in that sounded interesting, only for them to be released as they weren't "match fit."

No positive news is annoying but id rather we get the right player(s) or none at all.

Look on the bright side, if GJ was still here he would of had a couple of trialists in that sounded interesting, only for them to be released as they weren't "match fit."No positive news is annoying but id rather we get the right player(s) or none at all.

So true. That player would then go on to appear in the Prem and the World Cup :doh:

Look on the bright side, if GJ was still here he would of had a couple of trialists in that sounded interesting, only for them to be released as they weren't "match fit."

No positive news is annoying but id rather we get the right player(s) or none at all.

I think you're wrong, we wouldn't of had anybody in until the day before deadline day, and then it would have been a useless lump to wack the ball up to.

So true. That player would then go on to appear in the Prem and the World Cup :doh:

Im not disputing if GJ was right to let them go or not, just id rather know nothing and hear nothing regarding any transfer activity than be tantalised with a possible new signing only for them not to make the grade.

Nothing would make me happier than refreshing the OS around 5pm to find out we have got someone in, well prehaps refreshing it about lunchtime and getting the same result!

Have heard from a friend within Lcfc that pat van aanholt ( Chelsea LB) and curtis Davies (prem class CB from villa) are to join Leicester city on loan in the next 24 hours. 2 class players were missing out on here, thinking van annholt maybe the loan we turned down but these 2 are jus wat we need.

Svens doing a cracking job up there brought in some real class players, still can't believe they got yakubu !!

Have heard from a friend within Lcfc that pat van aanholt ( Chelsea LB) and curtis Davies (prem class CB from villa) are to join Leicester city on loan in the next 24 hours. 2 class players were missing out on here, thinking van annholt maybe the loan we turned down but these 2 are jus wat we need.

Svens doing a cracking job up there brought in some real class players, still can't believe they got yakubu !!

Thats the reason why theyre attracting the class, a manager with a reputation and the financial clout to back it up.

Thats the reason why theyre attracting the class, a manager with a reputation and the financial clout to back it up.

Pretty sure we were linked with Sven after Johnson left, ho hum a potential missed opportunity,

Having said that we did beat them 2-0 so to put it another way, Millen tactically outdid Sven and not many managers this season can say they have done that!

They got money which is something we haven't got.

They also have a high profile manager, are creeping up the table and have a nice new ground with big crowds.

Players look at all that when making a decision.

Unfortunately we cant yet match any of that.

At the end of the day money talks in football, if you've got plenty of it like seven (and any manager, regardless of name) then its hard to fail! I could take over at Leciester or Man city and win things im sure of it.

FOOTBALL = MONEY MONEY MONEY, AND MORE MONEY. got it and you'll be just fine.

At the end of the day money talks in football, if you've got plenty of it like seven (and any manager, regardless of name) then its hard to fail! I could take over at Leciester or Man city and win things im sure of it.

FOOTBALL = MONEY MONEY MONEY, AND MORE MONEY. got it and you'll be just fine.

Wages might be a problem if this link is true

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Aston-Villa-defender-Curtis-Davies-in-line-for-shock-Birmingham-switch-article678501.html

The problem I have is that we are in 17th place, we aren't great at the back yet we just don't seem to be doing much to rectify these problems. We have had problems defensively now for 2 season, if its not conceding last minute goals its conceding a bucket load at home.

The rumour is that we had a chance to take that young Chelsea left back for £500,000 loan fee and £4000 a week, I know thats a lot of money but with an addition like him, someone like Peter Halmosi or Buszaky or Cook from QPR on loan, with Maynard just about to come back to training doesn't seem unreasonable if they really want to secure our place in the championship.

I still think we will stay up as I think we will pick up 5 home wins and a win and a draw or 2 on the road but its going to be alot tighter than people think.

At the end of the day there isn't the real ambition to get into the Premier League as the club makes out. Lansdown wants the stadium for the club which is all credit to him, if it goes through its a fantastic facility and will make Bristol City alot more attractive as a club. But until that happens the investment in the team isn't going to be at a level where we are going to compete with the big clubs. If the stadium goes through and we get gates of 20,000 every week with away fans then yes I can see the investment in the team significantly increasing, but until then its going to be the sort of players we are attracting at the moment with a couple of exciting players like James and Caulker to get season tickets sales up.

I think its time over the summer, fingers crossed we stay up, to start again, get rid of the rubbish if that means loss money then so be it, then build from the back. We won't have Caulker next season in my opinion, so we will be in the same position at the start of next season and I just hope over the summer we don't scratch around over cheap options.

I just don't want our club to go down, to undo the work that has been done over the past 4 years would be unthinkable, but the way this season has gone and the home form its a possibility! Fingers crossed we pick up the home wins we need.

The problem I have is that we are in 17th place, we aren't great at the back yet we just don't seem to be doing much to rectify these problems. We have had problems defensively now for 2 season, if its not conceding last minute goals its conceding a bucket load at home.

The rumour is that we had a chance to take that young Chelsea left back for £500,000 loan fee and £4000 a week, I know thats a lot of money but with an addition like him, someone like Peter Halmosi or Buszaky or Cook from QPR on loan, with Maynard just about to come back to training doesn't seem unreasonable if they really want to secure our place in the championship.

I still think we will stay up as I think we will pick up 5 home wins and a win and a draw or 2 on the road but its going to be alot tighter than people think.

At the end of the day there isn't the real ambition to get into the Premier League as the club makes out. Lansdown wants the stadium for the club which is all credit to him, if it goes through its a fantastic facility and will make Bristol City alot more attractive as a club. But until that happens the investment in the team isn't going to be at a level where we are going to compete with the big clubs. If the stadium goes through and we get gates of 20,000 every week with away fans then yes I can see the investment in the team significantly increasing, but until then its going to be the sort of players we are attracting at the moment with a couple of exciting players like James and Caulker to get season tickets sales up.

I think its time over the summer, fingers crossed we stay up, to start again, get rid of the rubbish if that means loss money then so be it, then build from the back. We won't have Caulker next season in my opinion, so we will be in the same position at the start of next season and I just hope over the summer we don't scratch around over cheap options.

I just don't want our club to go down, to undo the work that has been done over the past 4 years would be unthinkable, but the way this season has gone and the home form its a possibility! Fingers crossed we pick up the home wins we need.

I certainly agree with most of this, a creative player in on loan is a must if we wish to nail down survival IMO. A big rebuild in the summer needed for sure. Generally, we're just not that attractive a proposition right now IMO.

I certainly agree with most of this, a creative player in on loan is a must if we wish to nail down survival IMO. A big rebuild in the summer needed for sure. Generally, we're just not that attractive a proposition right now IMO.

Yeah we are a kind of middle of the range, that isnt really looking for a massive promotion push, sort of along the lines of Barnsley. Just can't wait for this nightmare season to end!

Archived