IGNORED

The Season Is Over, Relegation Avoided...

Evy11_BCFC

There's 12 players out of contract in the summer with another clearout expected, but which players would you keep and build the squad around;

I'd let go/try to sell;

Dean Gerken* - Not a bad keeper by any means but I don't see the need to have 3 senior goalkeepers on the books. We will always have the opportunity to use an acadmey keeper or make a loan signing if needed.

Nicky Hunt - Offer him out and if he can't find a club, consider a termintation of his contract.

Damion Stewart - Don't think he will ever be first choice and as he is presumably on a large salary, try to offload to another club.

Joe Edwards* - Release

Ivan Sproule* - Release

Gavin Williams* - Release

Lee Johnson* - He's a good squad player, but plays in a position which needs to be strengthened. Probably the time to move on.

Kalifa Cisse - Not good enough, try and sell if possible.

David Clarkson - High earner, 4th choice at best, back to Scotland hopefully.

Marlon Jackson* - Release

Pat Hoban* - Release

Jimmy Keohane* - Release

John Akinde* - Release

(13)

Not sure/keep as squad players;

Lewin Nyatanga - Millen still sees him as part of the 'development squad'.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce - Can play on both flanks, inconsistant, but would like to see him given a go on the right side.

Joe Lennox*/Danny Ball* - First year pro's, still playing for the U18's, haven't seen enough of to comment.

(4)

Players to keep/build the squad around;

David James

Stephen Henderson* - Rumoured to be out of contract, but seems to be playing well out on loan and needs to step up and compete for a first team place

Christian Ribeiro - Injury problems a worry, but still a great prospect.

James Wilson - Highly rated, hopefully recovers well from his injury.

Louis Carey* - His experience is vital, give another year.

Liam Fontaine

Steven Caulker - Do everything possible to keep hold of him for another year.

Jamie McAllister - Still has another year on his contract, a good squad player and like Carey provides experience which will be needed at points during a season.

Albert Adomah

Marvin Elliott - Still hasn't reached the heights of his first season, think he would make a good captain and perhaps giving him that role would be a way of reigniting his City career.

Cole Skuse - Last seasons player of the year hasn't turned a bad player over night. Still a good player as far as i'm concerned and has plenty to offer the squad.

Jon Stead

Brett Pitman

Nicky Maynard

(14)

That's 14 players I would to my best to keep and another 2 who I would probably keep for the time being, but a massive 13 players I consider 'dead wood'. Shifting that lot will prove a lot more difficult than said though and it really highlights to lack of quality in the squad at the moment.

* = Rumoured to be out of contract

There's 12 players out of contract in the summer with another clearout expected, but which players would you keep and build the squad around;

I'd let go/try to sell;

Dean Gerken* - Not a bad keeper by any means but I don't see the need to have 3 senior goalkeepers on the books. We will always have the opportunity to use an acadmey keeper or make a loan signing if needed.

Nicky Hunt - Offer him out and if he can't find a club, consider a termintation of his contract.

Damion Stewart - Don't think he will ever be first choice and as he is presumably on a large salary, try to offload to another club.

Joe Edwards* - Release

Ivan Sproule* - Release

Lee Johnson* - He's a good squad player, but plays in a position which needs to be strengthened. Probably the time to move on.

Pat Hoban* - Release

Jimmy Keohane* - Release

John Akinde* - Release

(13)

Jamal Campbell-Ryce - Can play on both flanks, inconsistant, but would like to see him given a go on the right side.

Joe Lennox*/Danny Ball* - First year pro's, still playing for the U18's, haven't seen enough of to comment.

(4)

David James

Stephen Henderson* - Rumoured to be out of contract, but seems to be playing well out on loan and needs to step up and compete for a first team place

Liam Fontaine

Jamie McAllister - Still has another year on his contract, a good squad player and like Carey provides experience which will be needed at points during a season.

Albert Adomah

Marvin Elliott - Still hasn't reached the heights of his first season, think he would make a good captain and perhaps giving him that role would be a way of reigniting his City career.

Cole Skuse - Last seasons player of the year hasn't turned a bad player over night. Still a good player as far as i'm concerned and has plenty to offer the squad.

Jon Stead

Brett Pitman

Nicky Maynard

(14)

That's 14 players I would to my best to keep and another 2 who I would probably keep for the time being, but a massive 13 players I consider 'dead wood'. Shifting that lot will prove a lot more difficult than said though and it really highlights to lack of quality in the squad at the moment.

can you please clarify your title....are you saying that you believe relegation is already avoided and these are your thoughts on who shoudl go in summer.....are are you forward thinking and suggesting that should relegation be avoided this is your clearout......

because in my opinion relegation is still very much a term we should be worried about for rest of season....because at this moment in time we are far from certain to escape the drop

can you please clarify your title....are you saying that you believe relegation is already avoided and these are your thoughts on who shoudl go in summer.....are are you forward thinking and suggesting that should relegation be avoided this is your clearout......

because in my opinion relegation is still very much a term we should be worried about for rest of season....because at this moment in time we are far from certain to escape the drop

Should relegation be avoided.

Should relgation be avoided then imo Millen will need to be very active in the transfer market over the summer if City are to be a more serious threat next season.

In the final analysis the current City squad is simply not strong or deep enough and I reckon only about 3 or 4 current players would get into one of the top Championship teams, one of them being David James and another Steven Caulker who won't be with City next season.

All managers need time, the loyalty of the Chairman and a war chest to build a decent team and Millen isn't going to create a team capable of promotion in one or two seasons. Millen will have to build gradually and it will take as long as it takes to get it right. He's not going to able to shift and then replace with better players 7 or 8 of the current squad overnight and thats what he'll need to do.

Should relgation be avoided then imo Millen will need to be very active in the transfer market over the summer if City are to be a more serious threat next season.

In the final analysis the current City squad is simply not strong or deep enough and I reckon only about 3 or 4 current players would get into one of the top Championship teams, one of them being David James and another Steven Caulker who won't be with City next season.

All managers need time, the loyalty of the Chairman and a war chest to build a decent team and Millen isn't going to create a team capable of promotion in one or two seasons. Millen will have to build gradually and it will take as long as it takes to get it right. He's not going to able to shift and then replace with better players 7 or 8 of the current squad overnight and thats what he'll need to do.

If we narrowly avoid relegation would you really give Keith Millen another season or two to build a side capable of promotion? He hasn't show the slightest capability of doing that this season has he? Surely his most ardent of supporters would have to admit that a season in which we scraped through a relegation battle was a failure. If we're to build a quality side we should be looking to appoint a quality manager...

I'd let go/try to sell;

Joe Edwards* - Release

Ivan Sproule* - Release

Pat Hoban* - Release

Jimmy Keohane* - Release

John Akinde* - Release

(13)

(4)

David James

Liam Fontaine

Albert Adomah

Jon Stead

Brett Pitman

Nicky Maynard

(14)

I'm glad your not the manager. Change small things a little bit at a time and grow organically those who have no longterm future short contracts and look to build over 3 years of so :D

Will James be with us next year on the playing staff? He will be over 40 for one thing, and secondly I may be wrong but didn't he only sign a 12 month contract?

One year with the option of a second. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he has one last season in the Prem if he gets an offer, which wouldn't exactly be unlikely.

[quote />If we narrowly avoid relegation would you really give Keith Millen another season or two to build a side capable of promotion? He hasn't show the slightest capability of doing that this season has he? Surely his most ardent of supporters would have to admit that a season in which we scraped through a relegation battle was a failure. If we're to build a quality side we should be looking to appoint a quality manager...<br />[/quote

Your're being harsh and unfair in your view of Millen. We all know that he inherited a disrupted squad left by Johnson and then Coppell, had no pre-season to work with and had his two main strikers Maynard and Haynes missing through in jury. His main creative midfielder was back in Scotland.

I suspect that part of the reason Coppell buggered off was beacuse he saw only two City players capable of playing at the required level for a promotion team.

Give Millen time and funds and he will come good.

[quote />If we narrowly avoid relegation would you really give Keith Millen another season or two to build a side capable of promotion? He hasn't show the slightest capability of doing that this season has he? Surely his most ardent of supporters would have to admit that a season in which we scraped through a relegation battle was a failure. If we're to build a quality side we should be looking to appoint a quality manager...<br />[/quote

Your're being harsh and unfair in your view of Millen. We all know that he inherited a disrupted squad left by Johnson and then Coppell, had no pre-season to work with and had his two main strikers Maynard and Haynes missing through in jury. His main creative midfielder was back in Scotland.

I suspect that part of the reason Coppell buggered off was beacuse he saw only two City players capable of playing at the required level for a promotion team.

You and others have said this for months...fair play. You clearly believe it...but I'm genuinely interested...WHY do you think he will come good?...what possible evidence is there?

[quote You and others have said this for months...fair play. You clearly believe it...but I'm genuinely interested...WHY do you think he will come good?...what possible evidence is there?

I happen to think that Millen is doing a decent job given the difficulties that he's to deal with and the fact that he's got an overloaded and unbalanced squad of average players. Only two or three stand out as Championship quality players.

Given the time and resources Millen will build a promotion team.

I dont usually agree with you, but have to agree with some of this, specifically with coppell going - he could see what would happen to us this season after the millwall game, and couldnt be ar$ed with it.

It seems to me we have 3 decent players at this level - James Caulker and Maynard, and caulker wasnt here when coppell was here, and it became clear that maynard was going to be out for a while.

millen was thrown in, and got caulker rose pitman and stead in, who have all done well for us, some more so than others, and that was only in the space of a month or so. If we can thin out the squad as the OP said, and get rid of the dead wood - and there is so much of it - and give millen the chance to get a few more in like he already has, then we would have to be stronger next season.

ame='Robbored' timestamp='1296077389' post='1336671']

I dont usually agree with you, but have to agree with some of this, specifically with coppell going - he could see what would happen to us this season after the millwall game, and couldnt be ar$ed with it.

That is a fine point- think back to the start of the season- Coppell 'one of the worst pre seasons I have experienced.' That was a warning sign and no mistake. Old ground I know but if his heart wasn't in it, perhaps he shouldn't have taken it in the first place.

If we narrowly avoid relegation would you really give Keith Millen another season or two to build a side capable of promotion? He hasn't show the slightest capability of doing that this season has he? Surely his most ardent of supporters would have to admit that a season in which we scraped through a relegation battle was a failure. If we're to build a quality side we should be looking to appoint a quality manager...

Completely ignore the fact that our 3 best players have been signed by Millen and that if Coppell had stayed we'd be bottom without a shadow of a doubt.

You're the most boring poster on here because you make out your opinion is fact. It is not.

For future reference, Excuses are not chestnuts, they are reasons why our season has not delivered your ******* jam! Your failure to acknowledge the impact of injuries, wasted summer months, Inept squad members signed by previous managers on extortionate wages and long contracts and a Chairman who is sick of backing managers does nothing to convince me that your opinion is not clouded by bias and prejudice.

I think any manager who saved us from the certain relegation that Gollum would have led us to is a success yes, and when he has a full summer to create his OWN squad you will be proven wrong.

I am glad that SL is not as petulant and unrealistic as you, otherwise this club seriously would be up the shitter... Promise me that if you get rich you never "do a davidson"

[quote You and others have said this for months...fair play. You clearly believe it...but I'm genuinely interested...WHY do you think he will come good?...what possible evidence is there?

I happen to think that Millen is doing a decent job given the difficulties that he's to deal with and the fact that he's got an overloaded and unbalanced squad of average players. Only two or three stand out as Championship quality players.

Given the time and resources Millen will build a promotion team.

I'm sorry Robbored but I just can't see it. I agree Millen has been left with a rough deal since taking over but I've seen nothing to convince me he can build a promotion team. He might keep us up this year, but I feel the club needs a huge overhaul. There's a comfort zone here and things have gone stale. We need fresh ideas, not from someone who's been around the club for several years and all the players know far too well. A new man with his own staff and a fresh approach. I really fear we're drifting back towards League One and the footballing wilderness, which is a travesty considering we were 90 minutes from the Premier League only 3 seasons ago. Something needs to be done at the end of the season - the club's going backwards, and fast, and the chairman, the manager, the players all seem to have run out of ideas. Tisdale/Lee Clark in the summer please - managers with a bold approach, teams play good football, and a step up in their careers having done very well at Exeter and Huddersfield.

Completely ignore the fact that our 3 best players have been signed by Millen and that if Coppell had stayed we'd be bottom without a shadow of a doubt.

You're the most boring poster on here because you make out your opinion is fact. It is not.

For future reference, Excuses are not chestnuts, they are reasons why our season has not delivered your ******* jam! Your failure to acknowledge the impact of injuries, wasted summer months, Inept squad members signed by previous managers on extortionate wages and long contracts and a Chairman who is sick of backing managers does nothing to convince me that your opinion is not clouded by bias and prejudice.

I think any manager who saved us from the certain relegation that Gollum would have led us to is a success yes, and when he has a full summer to create his OWN squad you will be proven wrong.

I am glad that SL is not as petulant and unrealistic as you, otherwise this club seriously would be up the shitter... Promise me that if you get rich you never "do a davidson"

Sorry, you what? So what makes his opinion invalid but yours fact? Because it certainly sounds like you're making yours out to be a fact despite criticising for the same thing.

My opinion is Keith Millen isn't the man to take Bristol City forward in the long term. That's not being unrealistic about our prospects, that's just how I feel. We're not a Premier League side but our performance this season (under Millen - yes I know it's not all his fault) have been dreadful. My opinion is a good manager wouldn't have us playing THIS BADLY.

I'd love Keith to be a success, but sadly I see this one ending in tears. I'd also love to be proved wrong.

Sorry, you what? So what makes his opinion invalid but yours fact? Because it certainly sounds like you're making yours out to be a fact despite criticising for the same thing.

My opinion is Keith Millen isn't the man to take Bristol City forward in the long term. That's not being unrealistic about our prospects, that's just how I feel. We're not a Premier League side but our performance this season (under Millen - yes I know it's not all his fault) have been dreadful. My opinion is a good manager wouldn't have us playing THIS BADLY.

I'd love Keith to be a success, but sadly I see this one ending in tears. I'd also love to be proved wrong.

No, Not fact. I am just fed of people disregarding all the circumstances Millen has faced since taking charge. Red badger REFUSES to acknowledge them

No, Not fact. I am just fed of people disregarding all the circumstances Millen has faced since taking charge. Red badger REFUSES to acknowledge them

Do you seriously think that ANY manager takes over at a club without having a string of problems to solve?

By definition, managerial vacancies only occur at clubs that are losing games on a regular basis, where the squad needs strengthening and where morale is low.

What Millen has had to cope with is no different to what any new manager has to face, so I suggest you stop the special pleading.

The fundamental problem with the bloke is that he is not a leader and has zero charisma, which means that few on here or elsewhere have any faith that he is going to take the club forward. He clearly isn't helped by the fact that he has a tax-exile chairman and zero leaders on the pitch but he has already spent £1m on transfers without solving the latter so we can hardly say he had not been backed financially.

<br />ame='Robbored' timestamp='1296080787' post='1336692']I'm sorry Robbored but I just can't see it. I agree Millen has been left with a rough deal since taking over but I've seen nothing to convince me he can build a promotion team. He might keep us up this year, but I feel the club needs a huge overhaul. There's a comfort zone here and things have gone stale. We need fresh ideas, not from someone who's been around the club for several years and all the players know far too well. A new man with his own staff and a fresh approach. I really fear we're drifting back towards League One and the footballing wilderness, which is a travesty considering we were 90 minutes from the Premier League only 3 seasons ago. Something needs to be done at the end of the season - the club's going backwards, and fast, and the chairman, the manager, the players all seem to have run out of ideas. Tisdale/Lee Clark in the summer please - managers with a bold approach, teams play good football, and a step up in their careers having done very well at Exeter and Huddersfield.

The 'the new blood' arguement is valid enough but I would argue that any new manager would be starting from scratch which would mean back to square one again.

Millen knows the club inside and out, has good relations with the executives and chairman, knows what players he wants to keep and which ones he wants to off load.He currently is doing an ongoing job which he's only just started. He's trying to play good football and we've seen some great examples of that but the players lack consistency and can produce terrific performances like the Cardiff game and utter rubbish like against Boro.

Tisdale/Lee have no experience of the Championship and yet you'd give one of them the job?

Agreed.

City look certain to be fighting against relegation deep into the season and it is by no means certain we will succeed in avoiding it.

As i said in detail on another thread, it appears we may have to be actually relegated for some fans to accept that a mistake may have been made in appointing KM.

In fact even then many will apparently find excuses for him and it will be no fault of his.

I don't know where this blind loyalty to KM has come from, it's truly baffling.

I hate to think of our ST sales next season with KM in charge, relegation or not.

I agree, the title of this thread is rather odd because we've definately not avoided relegation. Strangely though, we've so far beaten Swansea and Cardiff who are well up for promotion. Our current team is extremely erratic.

Agreed.

City look certain to be fighting against relegation deep into the season and it is by no means certain we will succeed in avoiding it.

As i said in detail on another thread, it appears we may have to be actually relegated for some fans to accept that a mistake may have been made in appointing KM.

In fact even then many will apparently find excuses for him and it will be no fault of his.

I don't know where this blind loyalty to KM has come from, it's truly baffling.

I find it baffling that supporting the clubs manager and hoping he's successefull is seen as "blind loyalty".

I'm of the belief that is what supporters do.

Your right the title is a bit like it's all been a bad dream, but the nightmare continues.

I always live in hope and am hoping we can do the league double over Swansea City next Tuesday evening. I was expecting us to do the double over Boro but that came to nothing but a nasty defeat. This season really has been a nightmare in many respects.

I agree, the title of this thread is rather odd because we've definately not avoided relegation. Strangely though, we've so far beaten Swansea and Cardiff who are well up for promotion. Our current team is extremely erratic.

I thought it was fairly obvious that this was a hypothetical question... and a very valid one.

Archived