IGNORED

Rovers Going Bust

redhead

We all hate the gas....... but respect to their supporters, if not their team.......... and this could so easily be us so......... let it slide eh?

Nobody wants to see their club disappear...... did I mention we all hate the gas?

Even then I have to finally say..... I would be very sorry if we didn't have them to hate :)

We all hate the gas....... but respect to their supporters, if not their team.......... and this could so easily be us so......... let it slide eh?

Nobody wants to see their club disappear...... did I mention we all hate the gas?

Even then I have to finally say..... I would be very sorry if we didn't have them to hate :)

Your being too soft, lets get rid of them!!

It cannot be true as the 'Ambitious Gas Board' have been telling everyone for the past 3 or 4 years that they are about to start work on their 17,500 super stadium. Also the 'blue few' were telling us in Sept-Nov how they were going to swap places with City and be the Championship club in Bristol. Therefore everything is rosy and next season could be the greatest in the club's history, probably.

Taken from Gas forum quote below...Wake up Guy's..he's right. This forum has become a laughing stock. All this talk about the Gas and how big Leeds are FFS.

Quote...'haha stupid *****. We aint a rival of theirs anymore.....you would never guess though! They talk about us more on their forum than their own club, and most of them come on here more than their own forum. Not rivals anymore though....Sad ****s. It wont be long until they actually go bust anyway when pantsdown walks :rolllaugh:'

I think it's very harsh some of the comments on here. But hey ho thats just me

I share no love with Rovers, but at the end of the day were all football fans. Nothing worse than the feeling of seeing your club slip away into rock bottom. 82 was a bad time and that broke alot of people's hearts to see City go from literally the top to the bottom in a matter of seasons.

As I have already said, I do not love them nor would I wish any football fan to lose his/her club which they hold dearly to them.

One thread in the top three pages of the forum - you'd have to be a real Gas Head narcissist to equate that to talking about the Gas all the time, and we talk more about them than our own club.

There is a lull in news team wise / stadium plan wise / and we have had a break due to the England friendly so talk tends to broaden away.

Fair point well MADE :laugh:...... WE STILL ALL HATE THE GAS :)

I think you will find there are a fair number of City fans who do not hate the Gas.

As for those who have wishful thinking of Rovers going out of business i suggest they wake up. The very worst case scenario for them is to do an Aldershot or a Newport but that is not going to happen to a second team in a city of half a million. And yes, this great city of ours can easily sustain two football teams. If Stoke on Trent can with barely half our population then obviously Bristol can.

The great rivalry is something i would never want to see extinguished and deep down i would hope most of you are the same; cheap jibes at a club that might be in financial turmoil?... you guys are no better than the so called 'scum' you like to brand the Rovers when they taunt us over 1982.

Without rivalry there would be no football; some of the crap written here is that ultimate route.

I sincerely hope Rovers stay in League 1, in fact i hope they get promoted next season and give us some local rivalry before we say goodbye and go up to the Prem. That is true football; don't lower yourselves to mud slinging like them, you should be better than that, we are better than that. Gain respect.

they "allegedly" tried to steal AG in 1982... why not take the chance to exact some revenge.

Nothing "allegedly" about it as it was fact!

About 1982...

It is now 28 years since City found themselves in a finacial situation which nearly forced the club out of buisness.

Many younger fans will not remember, others have forgotten, how bad the situation was. The facts were that city owed

£850,000 more than the value of their assets. The total debts included £500,000 to players, £12,000 to the inland revenue, £80,000 to customs and excise (for VAT) and over £120,000 in unpaid transfer fees. On the field things were just as bad, successive relegation found the club at the foot of the old Third division, heading for the Fourth.

Gates were down to below 5,000 and morale was rock bottom. The situation was brought to a head by a spell of bad

weather which meant that the club had no revenue at all from gate receipts, the only money coming in was from the

lottery.

It soon became apparent that in order for the club to survive then eight senior players would have to tear up sizable

contracts. In total the eight were owed £290,000 and at the 11th hour they accepted a payment of some £100,000. The following saturday City were at home to division pace setters Fulham, giving debuts to several youngsters including

18 year old Rob newman, the 0-0 result was a credit to all those who played. The attendance was some 9,000 and was

by far the highest for a league game so far that season, and it was reported that the fans created an atmosphere

suggesting that there was three times that number present.

The lessons from the near disaster would suggest the club had learnt by the club, perhaps too well. Before steve

lansdown days there appeared to be a reluctance to ''speculate to accumalate'', a constant frustration to success

hungry fans. However what all supporters of Bristol city should remember is that at one stage of the 82 drama a bid

was put in by Martin flook and Barry bradshaw, the Chairman and vice Chairman of Bristol rovers, to purchase Ashton

gate for £450,000. If this bid had been successful then, as today, there would be one team in Bristol playing at Ashton gate, only it wouldn't be Bristol City.

Always remember the date and time of mid-day february 2nd 1982 as it was the day and time Bristol City was saved

Nothing "allegedly" about it as it was fact!

About 1982...

It is now 28 years since City found themselves in a finacial situation which nearly forced the club out of buisness.

Many younger fans will not remember, others have forgotten, how bad the situation was. The facts were that city owed

£850,000 more than the value of their assets. The total debts included £500,000 to players, £12,000 to the inland revenue, £80,000 to customs and excise (for VAT) and over £120,000 in unpaid transfer fees. On the field things were just as bad, successive relegation found the club at the foot of the old Third division, heading for the Fourth.

Gates were down to below 5,000 and morale was rock bottom. The situation was brought to a head by a spell of bad

weather which meant that the club had no revenue at all from gate receipts, the only money coming in was from the

lottery.

It soon became apparent that in order for the club to survive then eight senior players would have to tear up sizable

contracts. In total the eight were owed £290,000 and at the 11th hour they accepted a payment of some £100,000. The following saturday City were at home to division pace setters Fulham, giving debuts to several youngsters including

18 year old Rob newman, the 0-0 result was a credit to all those who played. The attendance was some 9,000 and was

by far the highest for a league game so far that season, and it was reported that the fans created an atmosphere

suggesting that there was three times that number present.

The lessons from the near disaster would suggest the club had learnt by the club, perhaps too well. Before steve

lansdown days there appeared to be a reluctance to ''speculate to accumalate'', a constant frustration to success

hungry fans. However what all supporters of Bristol city should remember is that at one stage of the 82 drama a bid

was put in by Martin flook and Barry bradshaw, the Chairman and vice Chairman of Bristol rovers, to purchase Ashton

gate for £450,000. If this bid had been successful then, as today, there would be one team in Bristol playing at Ashton gate, only it wouldn't be Bristol City.

Always remember the date and time of mid-day february 2nd 1982 as it was the day and time Bristol City was saved

I remember going to the game, I remember being in the Enclosure, and I remember it being 0-0, but I remember very little else about that match.

Rovers will never disappear and if were all honest none of us really want them to, one of my best mates is always going on at me about how they don't matter, why I worry about their results etc etc and apparently he does not care at all about them, well for someone who never cares he had a funny way of showing it, when they let in 6 the other day I must have had about 10 texts informing me what was happening, about another 3 the other night when they lost to Rochdale! For me if we beat Leeds today and they have lost it makes my night that little bit better, it DOES annoy me if they win,

I know I'm now rambling but I just can't get the people that say they don't matter, maybe some of the young uns don't get it, maybe it comes back to when I was a kid and it seemed they used to beat us in every game, maybe I've not let 1990 go yet, for me there Is only one rival and it's those blue and White ***** down the road.

I was also there and also in the enclosure!! Direction wise I always stood at the left end as you face the pitch at the back just left of the last entrance/exit tunnel. Happy days those were!!

I too was in the Enclosure that day, but down towards the East End.

It was a celebratory atmosphere pre match and an inebriated bloke near me charged on the pitch just before KO and ran round the young City players in the centre circle symbolically handing out money.

Don't think he was chucked out or anything - also remember it was an unusually bright and sunny day for early Feb, again symbolic after the dark days preceding it.

I was in the E/E for the Fulham game, all I can remember was a great atmosphere and a great togetherness.

I can remember a lot more from Newport away the previous week.Mainly the fact that there was crowd trouble for the whole 90 mins!!

We all thought that was our last City game ever.

Our pre match pub at Newport was like a morgue, complete depression.

The trouble during the match, in our end anyway, seemed to be because the police wouldn't leave the City fans alone - behind us people seemed to be running to and fro across the terrace for almost the whole match and I suppose with things the way they were no one was too bothered about getting banned from AG.whistle.gif

I was in the E/E for the Fulham game, all I can remember was a great atmosphere and a great togetherness.

I can remember a lot more from Newport away the previous week.Mainly the fact that there was crowd trouble for the whole 90 mins!!

Yes, it was the most pi55ed I've ever been at a game, we treated it like a wake.I seem to remember ending up at Newport police station, enough said !

I was probably at that match too. Blimey, to think of all those home and away games i used to go to. You are bang on right though about togetherness.

Rob Newman was probably my first 'hero' if thats the right word from a bloke to another bloke; to see him start his career earlier than he could have dreamed, thrown in the deep end, to see him fight on the pitch for every ball and wonder how his spindly body would come out of it and then see him build his body up over a couple of seasons and turn into the first player on the team sheet. He, amongst others, were superb for us back then but he stood out for me.

I was there - I would have been the young kid stood by his dad looking bored (yes, I actually found watching football boring when I was a kid) maybe you remember me :w00t: I jest (I would have been wearing a hand knitted scarf and hat given to me by my nan - :colder: ) . All was well though as Dad always bought me fish and chips on the way home....

I think you will find there are a fair number of City fans who do not hate the Gas.

As for those who have wishful thinking of Rovers going out of business i suggest they wake up. The very worst case scenario for them is to do an Aldershot or a Newport but that is not going to happen to a second team in a city of half a million. And yes, this great city of ours can easily sustain two football teams. If Stoke on Trent can with barely half our population then obviously Bristol can.

The great rivalry is something i would never want to see extinguished and deep down i would hope most of you are the same; cheap jibes at a club that might be in financial turmoil?... you guys are no better than the so called 'scum' you like to brand the Rovers when they taunt us over 1982.

Without rivalry there would be no football; some of the crap written here is that ultimate route.

I sincerely hope Rovers stay in League 1, in fact i hope they get promoted next season and give us some local rivalry before we say goodbye and go up to the Prem. That is true football; don't lower yourselves to mud slinging like them, you should be better than that, we are better than that. Gain respect.

I know it was a long time ago and I dont know the exact circumstances of their demise but being in a second team in a big city didnt save Bradford Park Avenue. I dont think size of City comes into it, afterall Harrogate sustains two football clubs albeit non league.

If anything I believe the financial situation in football today is extremely perilous if a club the size of Portsmouth can teeter on the brink there is no reason why the same couldnt happen to the gas and more worringly us in the future.

As for those who say they are no longer our rivals, not on the pitch maybe but losing 6-0 at home to Cardiff was sickening, probably the lowest Ive ever felt leaving Ashton Gate, for me though it wouldve been 100x worse if it had been the Gas beating us 6-0.

Personally I dont want to see them go out of business but I would like to see them relegated and flapping about the lower reaches of Div 4 (in old money). For me, seeing City win makes a great weekend if the Gas are struggling and have been tonked as well makes it even better. For some people like me rivalry is about being better than your neighbours, as long as we are above them in the League it doesnt matter how often they bang on about a JPT area final played on an allotment 4 years ago.

Archived