IGNORED

Keith Millen. Defending The Undefendable

arpaul

Bristol City 0-2 Leeds United.

The results speaks for itself, but the the way we surrendered to a Leeds side who were no better than ordinary is unsatisfactory.

Fresh from thumping lowly PNE 4-0 away, with his new signings and the most passionate home support seen at Ashton Gate for quite a while, the majority of the sell out crowd were expecting to see a resurgent Bristol City. Something a little better from what has been witnessed during this awful season of entertainment.

But no. Keith Millen, for reasons known only to himself and his side kick Wigley, not only stifled the expectant home support but handed Leeds the points on the proverbial plate. His team selection and tactics just seemed void of any thought.

How the Leeds dressing room must've breathed a collective sigh of relief when they saw the City side. I wouldn't be surprised if they did their "warm downs" in the changing room before the game, such was the ease with which they nullified our leaderless and lost "warriors"

Albert Adomah. Our one shining light in a season of $hite. On the bench.

Martyn Woolford. Millens much sought after and acclaimed left sided midfielder. On the right.

Brett Pittman. Our only fit goal threat. Our "fox in the box". On the left.

Andy Keogh. A player who has the ability to create from deep. Up front on his own, with no support, and two 6' plus centre halfs to keep him company.

Dave Clarkson. A player who consistantly surprises me with his lack of pace, passion, aggression or ability. In the starting eleven.

We looked totally unbalanced, underprepared and more worringly, absolutely clueless.

Surely, Adomah should've been on the right, Woolford on the left, Pittman up top, with Keogh in place of Clarkson?

Robbored told me during the first half, that the system had worked at Preston.

Preston. A team who are 10 points from safety. Impressive eh?

I know Robbored is a keen supporter of Keith Millen. So much so in fact, that McAllister is blamed for everything that is wrong at Ashton Gate. (Now Johnson is no longer there)

Line ups and tactics are the managers responsibility. Keith Millen has to be held responsible for yet another dire shambolic performance, which is becoming the expected "norm" for his reign.

The results speaks for itself, but the the way we surrendered to a Leeds side who were no better than ordinary is unsatisfactory.

Fresh from thumping lowly PNE 4-0 away, with his new signings and the most passionate home support seen at Ashton Gate for quite a while, the majority of the sell out crowd were expecting to see a resurgent Bristol City. Something a little better from what has been witnessed during this awful season of entertainment.

But no. Keith Millen, for reasons known only to himself and his side kick Wigley, not only stifled the expectant home support but handed Leeds the points on the proverbial plate. His team selection and tactics just seemed void of any thought.

How the Leeds dressing room must've breathed a collective sigh of relief when they saw the City side. I wouldn't be surprised if they did their "warm downs" in the changing room before the game, such was the ease with which they nullified our leaderless and lost "warriors"

Martyn Woolford. Millens much sought after and acclaimed left sided midfielder. On the right.

Andy Keogh. A player who has the ability to create from deep. Up front on his own, with no support, and two 6' plus centre halfs to keep him company.

Dave Clarkson. A player who consistantly surprises me with his lack of pace, passion, aggression or ability. In the starting eleven.

We looked totally unbalanced, underprepared and more worringly, absolutely clueless.

Surely, Adomah should've been on the right, Woolford on the left, Pittman up top, with Keogh in place of Clarkson?

I know Robbored is a keen supporter of Keith Millen. So much so in fact, that McAllister is blamed for everything that is wrong at Ashton Gate. (Now Johnson is no longer there)

Line ups and tactics are the managers responsibility. Keith Millen has to be held responsible for yet another dire shambolic performance, which is becoming the expected "norm" for his reign.

Nail on head! Good post!

People said give Millen time, he'll learn from his mistakes - well, he's clearly NOT, is he?

All in all we've lost 8 home games this season ( no, I'm not leaving out Shef.Weds., it was neither forgettable nor forgiveable) and we've had to suffer 27 goals going into our net, with only 18 for.

Woolford has looked an outstanding player on many occasions when I've seen him - to play him out of position on his home debut was the height of stupidity and his ineffective performance on an occasion when he would have been so keen to impress will be a set back to him.

Albert is what I pay my money to see in this horrible crap season and should at least have entered the fray far earlier.

Extremely disappointing performance from the manager, yet again - thumbs down to Keith Millen. no.gif

Performances tactics team passion and leadership are all not good enough,

I think a whole new coaching staff and fresh thinking is needed at ashton gate, we were right to bring Wiggles as he should of brought in fresh ideas,

But we need better coaching a manager who can manage and a team who look up for a game,

I totally agree that the starting line up wasn't right, the balance was wrong.

Adoma had to start on the right and Woolford on the left.

When we have a natural left footer like Woolford I just don't get why he's on the right.

Our best run this season was when we had Rose and his left foot on the left.

When we get our shape right we have proved we are more than capable of beating the better teams in this division.

KM got it wrong on Saturday imo, and it was only after we had left on left and right on right after 60 mins that we looked a threat.

Frustrating because Leeds looked quite ordinary.

was it that bad was it?

massive over reaction considering second half we were arguably the better side and certainly their match...

and lets not forget they are a couple of points off the automatic promotion places? clearly and average side :fastasleep:

Woolford played well on the right having been shit on the left against Preston, Adomah unfortunately has done NOTHING for a month or two, maybe the fact he was dropped made him realise he has to work a little harder? Pitman too hadn't done much for a month or so, and scored in a left "inside forward" position against PNE.

Funny thing is, had Millen not kept the same side and we lost (which is highly likely considering the form of Leeds and our shit midfield) there would have been absolute uproar on here, from the exact same people.

In all the years of Supporting City, I've never seen a manager get away with so much dross, week in week out, and hardly get any words of decent from the crowd. I'm always amazed by it. And 'Teflon' is certainly appropriate.

We all understand, that when he took over, it wasn't the ideal situation. But tbh, he seems clueless. He occassionally gets it right, more luck than judgement?

I think the fans have become punch drunk, and have just excepted it is what it is.

was it that bad was it?

massive over reaction considering second half we were arguably the better side and certainly their match...

and lets not forget they are a couple of points off the automatic promotion places? clearly and average side :fastasleep:

Woolford played well on the right having been shit on the left against Preston, Adomah unfortunately has done NOTHING for a month or two, maybe the fact he was dropped made him realise he has to work a little harder? Pitman too hadn't done much for a month or so, and scored in a left "inside forward" position against PNE.

Funny thing is, had Millen not kept the same side and we lost (which is highly likely considering the form of Leeds and our shit midfield) there would have been absolute uproar on here, from the exact same people.

The fact we played so much better the last 30 minutes has completely over shadowed the first hour, which was terrible and cost us the game. He got the tactics right....but it takes him to long to get it right. At Preston, we got battered first half allegedly, but luckily we were playing dog sh*t.....he changed it, we won. Against anyone half decent, we find ourselves 2-0 down before it hits home he needs to change it.

Leeds were good, but they certainly wernt "amazing" like some people on here like to make out. One of the key words for me when describing Leeds is "organised". Something we arnt, and under Millen, never appear to be.

He just is not smart enough to manage at this level

I agree. Why can't we just win every single game? When will Millen learn!!

*cue a response of "we've lost 4 in a row and have only won 2 in 12 or something. keith has to go or we'll definitely go down"*

Well i'm glad that you are happy with the crap being served up and and crap excuses being served up.

Last 4 home games, played 4 lost 4, goals scored 0 goals conceded 11, we have failed to score at all in 6 of the last 7 games and we have taken a miserable 7 points out of the last 24 available, so what do you call that because I call that relegation form.

So to all you Millen arse kissers please alert the rest of us when we are allowed to criticize Millen, when things are getting bad enough to panic. He proved on saturday what many of us have thought for a while he is clueless.

I don't think we will go down, but that ain't because of Millen's skill as a coach or manager it's because unbelievably there are 3/4 teams worse than us. I for one would'nt sack him now there is no point, but once we are safe SL has a serious decision to make.

Well i'm glad that you are happy with the crap being served up and and crap excuses being served up.

Last 4 home games, played 4 lost 4, goals scored 0 goals conceded 11, we have failed to score at all in 6 of the last 7 games and we have taken a miserable 7 points out of the last 24 available, so what do you call that because I call that relegation form.

So to all you Millen arse kissers please alert the rest of us when we are allowed to criticize Millen, when things are getting bad enough to panic. He proved on saturday what many of us have thought for a while he is clueless.

I don't think we will go down, but that ain't because of Millen's skill as a coach or manager it's because unbelievably there are 3/4 teams worse than us. I for one would'nt sack him now there is no point, but once we are safe SL has a serious decision to make.

I would go as far to say, if he doesnt take us down this season, he will take us down next if he is left in charge

In all the years of Supporting City, I've never seen a manager get away with so much dross, week in week out, and hardly get any words of decent from the crowd. I'm always amazed by it. And 'Teflon' is certainly appropriate.

We all understand, that when he took over, it wasn't the ideal situation. But tbh, he seems clueless. He occassionally gets it right, more luck than judgement?

I think the fans have become punch drunk, and have just excepted it is what it is.

This post is spot on. I was only saying the same thing walking away from the Gate on Saturday.

I can't believe how easily people are accepting getting beaten at home. Losing by the odd goal at home will happen to any side now and then, but we have seen some absolute thumping results against us this season at home. Here is our home form written down:

Millwall 0-3 L

Barnsley 3-3 D

Watford 0-2 L

Coventry 1-2 L

Norwich 0-3 L

Reading 1-0 W

QPR 1-1 D

Preston 1-1 D

Leicester 2-0 W

Sheff Utd 3-0 W

Derby 2-0 W

Palace 1-1 D

Cardiff 3-0 W

Sheff Wed 0-3 L

Boro 0-4 L

Swansea 0-2 L

Leeds 0-2 L

FOR: 18 AGAINST: 27

I would go as far to say, if he doesnt take us down this season, he will take us down next if he is left in charge

We wont go down this season - but I also fear if he is left in charge then next season we will be worse and it will result in relegation

was it that bad was it?

The question you should be asking yourself is why sign our elusive left sided player and play him on the right, even in the interview Millen and Woolford both told us he is a left sided player, Woolford could not have made any plainer "I'm an out-and-out winger by trade, left-sided, but I've played all over".

My god 12 months ago had GJ pulled this stunt just imagine the outcry from this forum who by then had turned against him.

Landsdown has a big descion to make here, we will stay up this year Maynard back he will get the 5-6 goals between now and the end of the season to make sure this happens, i going to throw my hand on the table and say i'm not comertable with the way Millens tactics and the things he says to the press, i have in the past fought for his corner, but he's worrying me know.

I don't like the 4-3-3 formation and I didn't agree with the starting line-up but I didn't think we were *that* bad.

I watched the game over the internet and I thought the main difference between the teams was confidence and organisation. City didn't seem to have either but they didn't look like a team doomed to relegation which they have done before.

Millen needs to learn, and learn fast, but I still have confidence that he will. It doesn't seem as bad as it did when Tinnion was in charge (but maybe that's because I'm not going every week)

If Millen keeps City up then he deserves a full pre-season and a good crack at next season. The risk is wasting another season but I think it would be wrong not to give him the chance.

I don't like the 4-3-3 formation and I didn't agree with the starting line-up but I didn't think we were *that* bad.

I watched the game over the internet and I thought the main difference between the teams was confidence and organisation. City didn't seem to have either but they didn't look like a team doomed to relegation which they have done before.

Millen needs to learn, and learn fast, but I still have confidence that he will. It doesn't seem as bad as it did when Tinnion was in charge (but maybe that's because I'm not going every week)

If Millen keeps City up then he deserves a full pre-season and a good crack at next season. The risk is wasting another season but I think it would be wrong not to give him the chance.

Why does he??????????????????

still it was an improvement on the Swansea game......thats about all I can muster

If i didn't love the club so much I wouldn't renew my season ticket but alas my red goggles will always lead me to blindly renew and go to ashton gate

Unfortunately it took our tactical genius (with all of his badges) 62 minutes to realize that he had got his ridiculous tactics wrong, 62 minutes FFS, what was he watching during those 62 minutes and by then we were chasing the game and if there is one thing we know about this current crop of players chasing games is not their forte.

Millen is far too slow to react, as soon as he realizes there is a problem then he should rectify that problem, not wait until half time and hope or wait an hour when the game is already lost.

and that is not a risk with Millen ................because?

I totally agree that the starting line up wasn't right, the balance was wrong.

Adoma had to start on the right and Woolford on the left.

When we have a natural left footer like Woolford I just don't get why he's on the right.

Our best run this season was when we had Rose and his left foot on the left.

When we get our shape right we have proved we are more than capable of beating the better teams in this division.

KM got it wrong on Saturday imo, and it was only after we had left on left and right on right after 60 mins that we looked a threat.

Frustrating because Leeds looked quite ordinary.

Agreed, and you know the annoying thing?.. Millen comes out and says Leeds' class told. What a load of carp that is. They are no better on paper than we are but get organsied, feel confident and you are 50% better.. that was the difference and it has been the same in all games where we have been turned over this season.

Mind you, I suppose you cannot blame Millen for saying such things. Its self preservation time; he clearly knows he has to turn things around pdq.

This is where I think we are.

Many (but not all) City fans have been fairly tolerant of the Millen reign simply because there is an acknowledgement that the latter part of GJ's otherwise very successful time with us went wrong and then the Coppell situation, which effectively wasted the entire close season and lumbered us with some very poor signings on lengthy contracts, was simply disastrous.

However 30 league games in charge is long enough to make progress and certainly to establish your own style of play and whilst Saturday's opponents are let's face it, better and bigger than us, not everyone in this division is.

For Millen to start next season in charge not only do we need as a minimum to avoid relegation but there also need to be clear signs of improvement over the remainder of this season.

Games against the likes of Watford, Barnsley, S****horpe and Doncaster will probably determine this.

Archived