IGNORED

Maynard Contract

tower crane red

Wrong! Steve Lansdown has said publically many times that every player has his price. If another club came in offering silly money (4m or so)for Maynard then City would listen, especially if the player himself wanted to go.

Urff ok, we dont 'have'' to sell Maynard then.. :rolleyes: Steve Lansdown also said that we can turn down any offer. . Haha I agree with you., £4m is silly money, but the worng side of silly. We turned down bids of more than that last summer!

Of course if the player really wants to go then they usually end up going, but really - who wants a player that is not 100% committed and is unhappy at the club?

Nicky has said several times he is happy here, plus I don't believe hes that 'type' of footballer, hes a good lad, understands loyalty and loves his team-mates. unlikely to start trouble.

If NM was at for example Forest or Leeds the starting price would be 6-8 million. I would be amazed if the club was to even contemplate selling for less. Name a better young english striker in the championship, there isn't one.

I honestly can't see NM wanting to extend his stay beyond his contract, and would be staggered if he was to be here next season. He is very ambitious and quite rightly at his age would want a pop at top flight football.

Expect someone mid to lower of the Premier league to be in for him.

If NM was at for example Forest or Leeds the starting price would be 6-8 million. I would be amazed if the club was to even contemplate selling for less. Name a better young english striker in the championship, there isn't one.

I honestly can't see NM wanting to extend his stay beyond his contract, and would be staggered if he was to be here next season. He is very ambitious and quite rightly at his age would want a pop at top flight football.

Expect someone mid to lower of the Premier league to be in for him.

Name 5 in the one above.

He has ambition, but so have we. Would he really force a move to a Blackburn or Wigan? I dont think so, and would either club meet our valuation? Not a chance.

The other option is a move to top 6 club, but then if hes playing for a top 6 club then surely he has to be worth...hmm what can we use as a recent comparison.....hmm Oh yea £35m Carroll. Talk is cheap, Carroll went for HARD cash.

So Maynard, like I said, is going nowhere.

Name 5 in the one above.

He has ambition, but so have we. Would he really force a move to a Blackburn or Wigan? I dont think so, and would either club meet our valuation? Not a chance.

The other option is a move to top 6 club, but then if hes playing for a top 6 club then surely he has to be worth...hmm what can we use as a recent comparison.....hmm Oh yea £35m Carroll. Talk is cheap, Carroll went for HARD cash.

So Maynard, like I said, is going nowhere.

Carroll in half a season in the Prem has been called up for England scored and proved his self at that level, Dalglish knows a good striker and i think he will with Wilshire be really good for England, to compare him and Maynard is madness imo, yeh Maynard outscored him last year is this why you are comparing them?

Carroll in half a season in the Prem has been called up for England scored and proved his self at that level, Dalglish knows a good striker and i think he will with Wilshire be really good for England, to compare him and Maynard is madness imo, yeh Maynard outscored him last year is this why you are comparing them?

Had fatty not scored that goal at Wembley things could have turned out very different. Some of Maynard's goals are a bit special, he is a bit special.

Playing for England doesn't change your ability, both Maynard and Carolls ability would remain the same if both did or didn't play for England, so I don't accept that becuase hes capped hes better.

And nor do i think that just becuase a player has scored in the Prem or only scored in the Champ makes a difference to ability either.

Maynard is better than Carroll, and i stand by my logic.

Had fatty not scored that goal at Wembley things could have turned out very different. Some of Maynard's goals are a bit special, he is a bit special.

Playing for England doesn't change your ability, both Maynard and Carolls ability would remain the same if both did or didn't play for England, so I don't accept that becuase hes capped hes better.

And nor do i think that just becuase a player has scored in the Prem or only scored in the Champ makes a difference to ability either.

Maynard is better than Carroll, and i stand by my logic.

Fair enough everyones entitled to an op-ion, in a way i hope i turn out to be wrong and see Maynard playing against Carroll at Liverpool with City and play for England. Carroll has got everything for me as a striker again i might be wrong but i think Carroll will play many a game for England and turn out to be a great player for Liverpool .

Fair enough everyones entitled to an op-ion, in a way i hope i turn out to be wrong and see Maynard playing against Carroll at Liverpool with City and play for England. Carroll has got everything for me as a striker again i might be wrong but i think Carroll will play many a game for England and turn out to be a great player for Liverpool .

Aye dont get me wrong, Carroll is a very good player and I'll watch his progress like everyone with interest.

I would love to see Maynard - Carroll up front for England, with Rooney behind them orchistrating things in the next WC praying%20smiley.gif

Maynard is worth nowhere near 10m! Not even half that.

He's had one impressive season of 21 Championship goals scored in a struggling side but has been long term injured for nearly all this season. No gaurantee that he'll get back to the same standard as last season, although the signs are there that he might. There a lot of good strikers out there both here and abroad and Maynard won't be on many big clubs shopping list just yet.

Why should we accept anything less? Peterborough put a price on McClean for £5 million. Ok, he didn't get sold at that, but Maynard is a much better player than him. Chopra was signed for £5 million. Maynard is better than him IMO. We have a young, English, talented striker and in an age where that means tripling the value of the player, it's typical of our fans to want to sell him for £3 million.

Top goal scorer in his first settled season in a struggling championship team surely would make him more expensive than scoring 10 in a championship winning side? The fact he had his own goal of the season competition and largely scored his goals with no service or support shows what a good player he is.

We're not in a position where we have to sell our best players anymore. We can name our price. Why you think we should accept around £3 million for him is a joke. I guess around 15% of that would go to Crewe, we spent £2.25 million on him. Then there's signing on fee, wages and bonuses. Thank god you're not in charge of our financial position. We'd be worse of than Chester.

Why should we accept anything less? Peterborough put a price on McClean for £5 million. Ok, he didn't get sold at that, but Maynard is a much better player than him. Chopra was signed for £5 million. Maynard is better than him IMO. We have a young, English, talented striker and in an age where that means tripling the value of the player, it's typical of our fans to want to sell him for £3 million.

Top goal scorer in his first settled season in a struggling championship team surely would make him more expensive than scoring 10 in a championship winning side? The fact he had his own goal of the season competition and largely scored his goals with no service or support shows what a good player he is.

We're not in a position where we have to sell our best players anymore. We can name our price. Why you think we should accept around £3 million for him is a joke. I guess around 15% of that would go to Crewe, we spent £2.25 million on him. Then there's signing on fee, wages and bonuses. Thank god you're not in charge of our financial position. We'd be worse of than Chester.

Agree with this and also with Ciderhider to a degree. He is worth a hell of a lot more than £3m, on current market valuations. He was top scorer in the Championship last season in a very poor team, as we struggled to create chances. I certainly don't think he is worth £35m, more like £6-10m, but with significant future add-ons. Carroll probably has a better all round game (he's stronger, can hold the ball up well and a better header of the ball), but Nicky's a superior finiisher. Nicky also makes a lot of intelligent runs (I was very frustrated that Clarkson either failed to pick up on them or underhit his through balls yesterday). I am also impressed with how well he's played since returning from injury. I thought it might take him longer to adjust. I'm sure he will keep on improving as he gains match fitness and also as his career progresses. IMO, anything below £6-7m would be daylight robbery!

Hang on before you slag me off. Where did I mention 3m?

I'm looking at it from a different perspective than you which is from another possibly interested clubs view. They would want more evidence that Maynard is back to 100% fitness, and back to where he was last season. Also Maynard has only had one successfull season in Championship and football is littered with one season wonders.

What I'm saying is that no club will part with 5m if there any doubts.

To compare Maynard with Andy Carroll is a waste of time. They are very different players. Carroll went for so much money because people who know and understand football could see what a special talent he is. He'll go on to do well at Liverpool and become Englands number one striker. Maynard is class act but not as classy as Carroll will be.

Steve Lansdown via Sexstone would never allow Maynard to leave on a free. Maynard is a valuable asset after all. When he does eventually move on to a bigger club no doubt an add-clause would be included in the deal.Its very likely that Crewe had one when they sold him to us.

he could choose to

Maynard is worth nowhere near 10m! Not even half that.

£5m is half of £10m. So, you basically said not even £5m. Apologies if most people would take that to mean £3 or £4m. Did you mean £4m instead? Still ridiculously cheap IMO.

I'm looking at it from a different perspective than you which is from another possibly interested clubs view. They would want more evidence that Maynard is back to 100% fitness, and back to where he was last season. Also Maynard has only had one successfull season in Championship and football is littered with one season wonders.

What I'm saying is that no club will part with 5m if there any doubts.

To compare Maynard with Andy Carroll is a waste of time. They are very different players. Carroll went for so much money because people who know and understand football could see what a special talent he is. He'll go on to do well at Liverpool and become Englands number one striker. Maynard is class act but not as classy as Carroll will be.

I wasn't slagging you off. Just disagreeing. Don't be so defensive. You said he's not worth £10 million, or even half that. Which equals £3-4 million. Knowing the pessimistic view of you and many other fans, I took £3 million.

With regards to Maynard being back to full fitness, He's back with 13 games to go, and has scored two in two since coming back. No-ones going to put in an offer for him now. They'll be scouting soon, then offer over the close season if he's proved he's good again. If he bags 10 by the end of the season, I'd say that's him back to form.

£5 million is nothing to some Premier League clubs. Just look at some of the signings made by the top 10 in the Premier League.

I never compared Maynard to Carroll. Carroll has proved he is competent in the Premier League and is one of a dying breed - a proper mental hard front man. Do you really believe Liverpool spent all that money for potential and not because they were forced to by Torres wanting to leave, Ashley not wanting to sell and the overpriced hype every English player for the last 7 years? I'm not denying he's a good player, because I think he is good. But he's not 7th highest transfer fee ever good.

I would put a valuation of around £4-5m on Maynard, unless he performs exceptionally for the rest of the season. He is at the right age now to earn a big contract and a chance to play at a larger club, and I think he'd be a fool to turn down a good offer. I don't think that we are in a position to break the bank to sign him, because of the financial position, and the knock-on effect of wage demands for other players. I can't see City being serious challengers next season, so I suspect he will be off in the summer if we get a decent offer, with the cash used to strengthen other parts of the team. The alternative is that we get nothing in a years time. You have to be realistic, we are not a big Championship Club, have not got an infinite supply of money, and have to accept that we should be a selling club.

I also confidently predict that Caulker will not be with us next year, I'm pretty sure he will get a lot better offers, and I would not be surprised if a couple of Premier League Clubs put offers in for him. Despite what some on here think, we are nowhere near the top of the career ladder for footballers, and have to accept it.

I would put a valuation of around £4-5m on Maynard, unless he performs exceptionally for the rest of the season. He is at the right age now to earn a big contract and a chance to play at a larger club, and I think he'd be a fool to turn down a good offer. I don't think that we are in a position to break the bank to sign him, because of the financial position, and the knock-on effect of wage demands for other players. I can't see City being serious challengers next season, so I suspect he will be off in the summer if we get a decent offer, with the cash used to strengthen other parts of the team. The alternative is that we get nothing in a years time. You have to be realistic, we are not a big Championship Club, have not got an infinite supply of money, and have to accept that we should be a selling club.

I also confidently predict that Caulker will not be with us next year, I'm pretty sure he will get a lot better offers, and I would not be surprised if a couple of Premier League Clubs put offers in for him. Despite what some on here think, we are nowhere near the top of the career ladder for footballers, and have to accept it.

I think you're underestimating him. I think he would do a decent job in the prem so £6m + is easily obtainable. Don't forget that Crewe's sell on clause is rumoured to be around 30%, so selling him for £4m would leave us with £2.8m which is marginally more than we paid for him. After taking out wages, bonuses, etc ... we would end up with no profit on a player who is clearly much better now than when we signed him and will hopefully keep on improving. Hence, why I think it would be madness to even consider anything below £6m.

He could and theres no doubt that the club know that. No way will they allow Maynards contract to expire so he can walk away on a free. His agent could be negociating with club right now for all we know.

....hope something is going on in that respect, or at least commences sooner rather than later, but :fingerscrossed: lets all pray Nicky's agent sings from a different song sheet than Basso's!! (believe it was agents advice & hype that turned Basso's head far too much, then when agent reviewed situation & tried to backtrack it was too late, Basso's head was firmly still in the clouds & bridges had been burned).

Hope Nicky bides his time & hangs on in there with us, becomes a very big fish in a small pond & City legend.Ttimes on his side & when he moves up to bigger & better things he will have established his credentials already & will join a top club as a first team choice & wont end up low on anyones pecking order.

:fingerscrossed: fingers crossed again that thats not too much to hope for :fingerscrossed: .

Or of course by that time the stadium may well be a reality, we as a club may be on the brink of the Premier League (or even already in it) & Bristol City may have become the destination of choice for many other good players wanting to join Nicky & co here! ...... (hmm, now whos heads in the clouds?... I think I need a lie down, ......nurse!!)

I think you're underestimating him. I think he would do a decent job in the prem so £6m + is easily obtainable. Don't forget that Crewe's sell on clause is rumoured to be around 30%, so selling him for £4m would leave us with £2.8m which is marginally more than we paid for him. After taking out wages, bonuses, etc ... we would end up with no profit on a player who is clearly much better now than when we signed him and will hopefully keep on improving. Hence, why I think it would be madness to even consider anything below £6m.

It might depend how many clubs are after him, his actual valuation is "Whatever somebody else is willing to pay". With only 1 year left on his contract, it might be a tough choice between taking an offer, or risk losing him for nothing the following summer. Also, the sell on clause is only 30% of profit, so we would actually get £2.2m + £1.26m at £4m. And it's no good looking at profit, in practical terms it would be nearly £3.5m to reduce debts and strengthen other parts of the team, and with Pitman in the wings, I don't think it would be a catastrophic loss to the team.

Maynard has a season left in the summer; It was a four year deal when we signed him and no extension has been announced.

We need to get him on a new contract ASAP.

As for his value, on a new contract he won't be sold for £6-8m. On one year left he might go for as little as £3-4m which would drastically undervalue him.

How much did we pay for him?, put £3m on that a bid for him in the £5m category means we make £3m , and a good sell on clause. When Maynard goes its will be for about £5m imo.

£5M for a proven goalscorer,who scored more than a now £35M striker in the same division last season. Think your having a laugh. In today's transfer Market his value is at least £15M.Plus he's English and homegrown which ups his value.

It might depend how many clubs are after him, his actual valuation is "Whatever somebody else is willing to pay". With only 1 year left on his contract, it might be a tough choice between taking an offer, or risk losing him for nothing the following summer. Also, the sell on clause is only 30% of profit, so we would actually get £2.2m + £1.26m at £4m. And it's no good looking at profit, in practical terms it would be nearly £3.5m to reduce debts and strengthen other parts of the team, and with Pitman in the wings, I don't think it would be a catastrophic loss to the team.

Yes, a new contract will make a hell of a difference and it does depend who is after him. Personally, I think he will sign a new contract and if rumours are to be believed, there are a lot of clubs sniffing around. I always thought that sell-on clauses were a percentage of total fee, perhaps someone could confirm this? I do agree that in Pitman, we already have a decent replacement and that should cushion the blow if he does leave.

£5M for a proven goalscorer,who scored more than a now £35M striker in the same division last season. Think your having a laugh. In today's transfer Market his value is at least £15M.Plus he's English and homegrown which ups his value.

His market value is whatever anyone is willing to pay, and as things stand, his value in June 2012 is £00,000,000.00

People claiming he is worth £10m-£15m need a reality check.

He was signed for £2.2m.

We would then want to make up for the percentage we would have to give Crewe. Let's estimate his value at £2.5m with that.

Top scorer in the Championship in a poor team ups his value. £3.5m-£4m I would say.

We have no need to sell. Rich chairman, adds value on. £5m.

English players tend to have inflated fees. Would go to a Prem club and get lots of exposure. £6m.

But he was injured for a long time, causing doubts. £5m.

And the club (as it stands) isn't competing for a place in the Premier League, not necessarily attractive. £4m-£4.5m.

But the club does need him which would slightly increase the value again. In the end I would say he's worth £4m-£5m.

That's every variable (without going into massive detail) I can think of that could calculate his value at this exact moment, and ignoring other possible factors (whether he would/wouldn't want to stay, how much the buying club would need a striker, etc). Whether or not we would sell him at this price is irrelevant, that's just how I'd estimate his value to be.

Archived