IGNORED

Possession...

spudski

If you look back over match reports, it's easy to see where our biggest weakness is. We just don't keep the ball. Only 3 games since the beginning of the year, where we have had 50% or more of possession.

Our defenders this year have been under constant pressure, and it's taken it's toll on them especially with the number of injuries. It's not rocket science to see why.

Imho, the type of football we are trying to play, has added to our injury crisis. Bodies on the line type stuff, and forwards chasing down long balls.

The sooner we start trying to play football again, the better.

This rag bag of a midfield is so ineffective at controlling the game. We have two guys in the middle who break up play. Adomah who on his day is Class and creates many chances on the break...and Woolford...who for me is an enigma. I've yet to see him beat his man, he's not particularly fast, doesn't have an abundance of tricks, and doesn't run at his man. He does seem to be able to cross a ball, but so can Jamie Mac. Personally, unless he improves tenfold, I think we've bought another dud.

This coming Summer, we need at least 3 new Midfielders and 3 new defenders imho. Having been overun in Midfield for so many games, I think playing two out and out wingers, is a luxury we cannot afford. Playing Clarkson deep to compensate for this, just leaves Maynard stranded and too much to do.

Personally, I would like us next year to play 442, with Maynard and Stead or Pitman up front, a defensive Midfielder in Elliot or Cisse, two new Midfielders who can pass, control and dictate the pace of the game, and Adomah switching from wing to wing.

Hopefully that way, we can keep possession longer and build up our play, and eleviate the pressure on our back four.

A good post.

Watching last night, the reason we have such little possession, other than silly mistakes, is that we cannot create enough space for each other. We, therefore, have very little time to give ourselves time to think on the ball and little space to pass into. Norwich closed things down well, but they had time to do so.

Most players receiving the ball are not able to look up and make clear decisions (not good enough). I liken it to a chess match (as I used to play many years ago). In playing chess you are always thinking at least 2 moves ahead. When City play they seem never to be thinking ahead of the pass they are making at a point in time. For this reason there is often little pattern of play other than "you 'ave it". I don't see enough running off the ball - maybe forwards think it won't be passed to them anyway.

Its not pretty and very frustrating to watch.

On top of this we don't always anticipate well. The number of times we needed more than one touch in our own box when what was needed was a wellie upfield was worrying. Elliot is often guilty of this across the pitch. He needs too many touches and this means he is often robbed of the ball, aside from slowing the movement down.

Disappointed with the shrug of the shoulders mentality at the death. They'd clearly given up in the build-up to the second goal. Even if the man has beaten you for pace and you can't catch him you should continue tracking back as you never know what deflection could occcur - lack of anticipation again.

The season is over. Concentrate on next year.

As you said, we need someone who can get hold of the ball and dictate the game and we've not had anyone do this since Hartley left.

An attacking central midfielder must be a priority in the summer, no more strikers or wingers.

Sorry your wrong imho we need another Left Winger as we only have Woolford (for me has been a bit of a donkey) so if he's injured we're back to right wingers playing on the left again,

We also need a ball winner who can retain possession and a Creative midfielder who also can retain possession,

Teams are closing us down and we're panic in and getting caught in possession,

Albert as much as I like the needs to learn when to clear his lines so does cmpball ryce, both tried to run the ball out of defense last night and both got caught out this is basic stuff,

To many passes go astray pass to feet try and control the tempo again basic stuff,

For to long we've been getting the basics wrong and making stupid mistakes that you wouldn't want at schoolboy level let alone championship

A massive clearout is required

OP hit the nail on the head.

Like I keep saying - we'll never get anywhere with Cisse and Elliott as our midfield two.

Cisse and Elliott have been very good recently - but possesion is so important in todays game - but we aint got many players who will keep the ball comfortably. Cisse looked comfortable in possesion last night - but Elliott will never be that type of player.

We have some good forwards - but we dont keep the ball for long enough for them to make an impact. We've done well recently because we've given albert the ball early - but we can't always rely on him.

I quite agree Spudski.

Take the Coventry match. We were 3 up at half time but had barely had a well constructed move or a passage of play in which we retained possession. Even against 10 men in the second half we appeared to me to struggle to keep the ball until they grew tired.

The worrying thing is that the following both seem to be the players we buy and the players who get most praise at Ashton Gate:

- "flying wingers" (who more often than not lose possession)

- "bodies on the line defenders" (who get injured)

- "midfield hard men" (who can't create)

- "never stop running strikers" (see "bodies on the line defenders"...)

I've no particular problem with any of that and indeed most of the Gate favourites down the years fit into one of those categories...but I'd argue that modern football isn't built around that style of play, or at least top level football isn't. To compete at this level we need to recruit players who can pass more accurately and retain possession, players with craft and guile.

Not easy I know.

On the whole, our movement off the ball is terrible and it's this that causes us to surrender possession cheaply - which implies to me that it is our coaching at fault, and I'm sorry to say this has to lie firmly at the door of KM.

I do agree that we need a new midfielder but I still think we need two wide men out there too. Our defence must be the priority to sort out this off season.

Yep, bar a 10 mins spell in the 2nd half when we scored, infact the move that led to the goal was pretty much the only time we did do it, we consitantly failed to string more than 2 passes together.

After winning 4 in a row im suprised we didnt have a more attacking approach tonight, after all there was nothing to lose and no shame in being beaten by team in the promotion race. Woolford spent his entire time on the pitch in his own half, and it wasnt until Adomah was moved up nearer Maynard that anything fluent happened in attack. Really could of done with Jon Stead last night.

With a chance to rebuild in the summer, given the core of the players we have here i think its 442 for next season. With 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and a striker at least needing to be brought in depending on who goes.

We seem to have a fixation with 'Flying wingers' at this club...right back to our days in League 1. Yes it looks great when all is going well, but imho, football has moved on these days, and you need a player that can play as both a midfielder and winger.

We play with two outright wingers...it's plain crazy at this level. Go right back through our history into the 90's and it seems to be our only way to play.

Personally I think it holds us back.

As for our 'midfielder on the bench'...not good enough at this level...too inconsistent.

Yep, bar a 10 mins spell in the 2nd half when we scored, infact the move that led to the goal was pretty much the only time we did do it, we consitantly failed to string more than 2 passes together.

After winning 4 in a row im suprised we didnt have a more attacking approach tonight, after all there was nothing to lose and no shame in being beaten by team in the promotion race. Woolford spent his entire time on the pitch in his own half, and it wasnt until Adomah was moved up nearer Maynard that anything fluent happened in attack. Really could of done with Jon Stead last night.

With a chance to rebuild in the summer, given the core of the players we have here i think its 442 for next season. With 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and a striker at least needing to be brought in depending on who goes.

I think we need more than 2 new Defenders...

Carey, getting too old, good for cover.

Caulker, will be gone.

Spence, probably gone.

Nyatanga, not good enough.

McCalister, not good enough.

Ribeiro, too injury prone, so needs cover.

Hunt...need i say more.

Fontaine...the only one we have that regularly steps up to this level and young enough to improve.

Millen was only speaking yesterday, of bringing in another loan Defender before the loan period finishes, for more cover. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11726_6813618,00.html

We seem to have a fixation with 'Flying wingers' at this club...right back to our days in League 1. Yes it looks great when all is going well, but imho, football has moved on these days, and you need a player that can play as both a midfielder and winger.

We play with two outright wingers...it's plain crazy at this level. Go right back through our history into the 90's and it seems to be our only way to play.

Personally I think it holds us back.

As for our 'midfielder on the bench'...not good enough at this level...too inconsistent.

One of the things that I liked about Millen's way of setting up his team (even when City were struggling) was the fact he always started with with two wingers. Its an attacking formation and has on occaisions worked well. Two wingers is not something we saw under Johnson and we all know what the football was like back then.

I don't see setting up to attack as a flaw as long as the two wide men do the tracking back and so on. That said, like all strikers wingers need service preferbably as far up the pitch as possible. Thats where City's problem has been all season after Hartley left. City don't have a creative influence in the middle of the park. Elliot does not have the game to play that role, Cisse is about as close as we'd get but he plays deeper just in front of the back four. Johnson isn't the answer either. Skuse could develop into the creative player but is nowhere near yet.

It won't be lost on Millen and I'm sure we'll see him bring maybe two midfielders over the summer.

One of the things that I liked about Millen's way of setting up his team (even when City were struggling) was the fact he always started with with two wingers. Its an attacking formation and has on occaisions worked well. Two wingers is not something we saw under Johnson and we all know what the football was like back then.

I don't see setting up to attack as a flaw as long as the two wide men do the tracking back and so on. That said, like all strikers wingers need service preferbably as far up the pitch as possible. Thats where City's problem has been all season after Hartley left. City don't have a creative influence in the middle of the park. Elliot does not have the game to play that role, Cisse is about as close as we'd get but he plays deeper just in front of the back four. Johnson isn't the answer either. Skuse could develop into the creative player but is nowhere near yet.

It won't be lost on Millen and I'm sure we'll see him bring maybe two midfielders over the summer.

no chance

Yea I emember it was better then it now!

Macindo and Sproule played under GJ.

Agree 100% with the OP on this one, everytime I hear us on Player its the same old story! How many times have we all heard the following words "City lose the ball" "City pass intercepted" "City give up possesion" "Loose pass by City" Last night when Norwich had the ball they semed to always have an easy pass on but when CITY had the ball we had to try and force the pass as there was rarely anybody in a decent amount of space!!

There will obviously be a clearout in the summer so I just hope we can get a playmaker in with a bit of creativity.

UP THE CITY!!

yep...we do know what the football was like then, successful and exciting. Pushing for play-offs and promotion, sell outs at the Gate, a trip of a lifetime to Wembley, thousands on the road from Plymouth to Newcastle. Great days...not perfect by any means but as good as any in our recent history.

In truth the best years following City I can remember...and I've watched us home and away since the early 80's. (the seventies are a very distant memory)

We don't have to rewrite history to move on.

yep...we do know what the football was like then, successful and exciting. Pushing for play-offs and promotion, sell outs at the Gate, a trip of a lifetime to Wembley, thousands on the road from Plymouth to Newcastle. Great days...not perfect by any means but as good as any in our recent history.

In truth the best years following City I can remember...and I've watched us home and away since the early 80's. (the seventies are a very distant memory)

We don't have to rewrite history to move on.

second trip of a lifetime for some people

thje football is no better now!! and I dont think even you believe that

None of our central midfield players are complete. Just a word on Skuse, he magically gets better each time hes out the team, then he comes back and we remember that he's like a poor version of each of other midfielders. He's Mr slightly below champiosnhip average. He can fill any role at a 4-5/10 standard.

We need better players to progress. Or some serious luck and momentum.

4th for those old enough!

I'm assuming there are references in previous posts to a different trip made by one or two...or maybe just one...forum members.

But I've got no beef with Robbored other than not wanting a great period in the clubs history to be rewritten.

And it was my third trip to watch City...and by far the best...although nothing beat the feeling of winning against Bolton

city.gif

Archived