IGNORED

Maynard Close To Agreeing New Deal

Dynamite Red

Maynard close to agreeing new deal

STAR striker Nicky Maynard is close to committing his long-term future to Bristol City.

Since returning from injury in March, City's record signing has been the subject of speculation concerning his future, with several Premier League clubs reported to be contemplating a summer raid for the 24-year-old.

But Maynard, whose season was finished prematurely when he was sent off at Sheffield United and handed a three-match suspension, is already holding talks with City officials regarding a new contract.

Robins manager Keith Millen feels confident Maynard will sign an extension to his current deal, which runs until the end of next season.

Millen said: "We have had more conversations with Nicky and his agent and they have all been positive.

"Nicky definitely wants to stay and be part of what I'm trying to build here and, hopefully, we can tie things up in the next week or so.

"It's difficult to put a time scale on these things, because everything has to be right. They have to be happy and we have to be happy, but the sooner it is done, the quicker we can move on and start planning for next season."

Although Maynard has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs in recent weeks, City have yet to receive a single bid for the former Crewe Alexandra forward.

Millen added: "We have not had anyone on the phone making inquiries about Nicky, which is something I'm pleased about.

"There is always going to be speculation, but Nicky being suspended for the last three games has dampened some of that down. It has taken him out of the limelight a little bit and that has enabled him to focus on where he wants to be next season.

"I think a lot of clubs are waiting to see which league they are in next season before making a move in the transfer market.

"You would think those teams that are relegated from the Premier League to the Championship or promoted from our league to the top flight will be the ones with the kind of money needed to go for someone like Nicky.

"I doubt there will be any interest until the relegation and play-off issues are resolved, by which time I'd like to think we will have a deal tied up."

But every player has his price and City, who value Maynard at between £5-6 million, may well be tempted should a big offer be tabled for their prize asset during the summer.

"Even if Nicky signs a new contract and another club comes in with a big offer, we would not stand in his way if we thought it was right for us and for the player," said Millen.

"But he has just come back after being out with an injury for nine months and, until an offer comes in, there is no discussion to be had.

"The only discussion going on right now is between Nicky and I, trying to get him to commit his long-term future to Bristol City.

"If he does sign, then it gives him a little bit more security and it does the same for the club. I think he is committed to this club and I'm not overly concerned by the situation at all."

Meanwhile, young defender Joe Edwards and fellow Academy product Marlon Jackson have both signed new one-year deals that will keep them at Ashton Gate until the end of next season.

Out of contract at the end of this season, the pair will form part of Millen's development squad and train with the first team when the players report back for pre-season training at the start of July.

Maynard close to agreeing new deal

STAR striker Nicky Maynard is close to committing his long-term future to Bristol City.

Since returning from injury in March, City's record signing has been the subject of speculation concerning his future, with several Premier League clubs reported to be contemplating a summer raid for the 24-year-old.

But Maynard, whose season was finished prematurely when he was sent off at Sheffield United and handed a three-match suspension, is already holding talks with City officials regarding a new contract.

Robins manager Keith Millen feels confident Maynard will sign an extension to his current deal, which runs until the end of next season.

Millen said: "We have had more conversations with Nicky and his agent and they have all been positive.

"Nicky definitely wants to stay and be part of what I'm trying to build here and, hopefully, we can tie things up in the next week or so.

"It's difficult to put a time scale on these things, because everything has to be right. They have to be happy and we have to be happy, but the sooner it is done, the quicker we can move on and start planning for next season."

Although Maynard has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs in recent weeks, City have yet to receive a single bid for the former Crewe Alexandra forward.

Millen added: "We have not had anyone on the phone making inquiries about Nicky, which is something I'm pleased about.

"There is always going to be speculation, but Nicky being suspended for the last three games has dampened some of that down. It has taken him out of the limelight a little bit and that has enabled him to focus on where he wants to be next season.

"I think a lot of clubs are waiting to see which league they are in next season before making a move in the transfer market.

"You would think those teams that are relegated from the Premier League to the Championship or promoted from our league to the top flight will be the ones with the kind of money needed to go for someone like Nicky.

"I doubt there will be any interest until the relegation and play-off issues are resolved, by which time I'd like to think we will have a deal tied up."

But every player has his price and City, who value Maynard at between £5-6 million, may well be tempted should a big offer be tabled for their prize asset during the summer.

"Even if Nicky signs a new contract and another club comes in with a big offer, we would not stand in his way if we thought it was right for us and for the player," said Millen.

"But he has just come back after being out with an injury for nine months and, until an offer comes in, there is no discussion to be had.

"The only discussion going on right now is between Nicky and I, trying to get him to commit his long-term future to Bristol City.

"If he does sign, then it gives him a little bit more security and it does the same for the club. I think he is committed to this club and I'm not overly concerned by the situation at all."

Not sure what to make of thise comments, Millen states that Maynard 'definately wants to stay' then goes on to say he's (Millen) trying to get Nicky to commit to the club, whilst outlining the potential benefits if he leaves.

In some respects Millen's comments are born completely from common sense, but it doesnt scream, far from it, of the certainty that Nicky will 'definately' stay.

I think keeping hold of Maynard would show significant ambition and a fine indicator of how far we have come in 5 yrs. Will certainly help the clubs profile and would make us a more attractive proposition to other players similar to Maynard, ie Caulker, Spence, Rose etc.. A stable club in perhaps the most beautiful City in England, whos going places, a world class stadium en-route, massive catchment area and so on..

The sooner he signes the better, what a great statment if he does. praying%20smiley.gif

I think keeping hold of Maynard would show significant ambition and a fine indicator of how far we have come in 5 yrs. Will certainly help the clubs profile and would make us a more attractive proposition to other players similar to Maynard, ie Caulker, Spence, Rose etc.. A stable club in perhaps the most beautiful City in England, whos going places, a world class stadium en-route, massive catchment area and so on..

The sooner he signes the better, what a great statment if he does. praying%20smiley.gif

It's very straight forward: if BCFC want to make progress, you HAVE to keep players of this calibre. There is also too much of any proceeds going to his former club, so we would never be able to afford to replace him unless he went for an astronomical amount.

:fingerscrossed:

Perhaps it's just his nature but Maynard looked singularly underwhelmed and unenthusiastic on the lap of honour.

An occasional limp thumb was raised but that was it, no smiling or waving (by the time he reached the Dolman/Atyeo corner anyway), and no visible acknowledgement of the 'sign the deal' chants either.

Wouldn't blame him if he did want to leave. We're miles away from being good enough to even threaten the top half of the table to any degree, let alone the top 6. He has youth on his side though, but if I was him I'd be looking for a way out

Perhaps it's just his nature but Maynard looked singularly underwhelmed and unenthusiastic on the lap of honour.

An occasional limp thumb was raised but that was it, no smiling or waving (by the time he reached the Dolman/Atyeo corner anyway), and no visible acknowledgement of the 'sign the deal' chants either.

Wouldnt read into it too much mate.

Nicky loves playing football, he was probably just gutted about missing the last 3 games of the season after spending so much time on the side lines..

He can't win!! If he had been going around waving and throwing shirt etc into the crowd there would be people on here inferring that he was saying his goodbyes.

He can't win!! If he had been going around waving and throwing shirt etc into the crowd there would be people on here inferring that he was saying his goodbyes.

Agreed, but there's a happy medium, and basically looking pissed off is curious under the circumstances.

Heard a deal could be on the cards regards caulker and Maynard.would be very happy if this happened.stead and pitman will do us proud next season.

Given he will be aiming for the Champions League at least and has been known to try for the likes of Forlan and Rossi I do not see Redknapp going for a Championship striker to solve his problems. He has already said he is not about to shell out £10m for Wickham. He needs and wants proven strikers I reckon.

I believe Sky Andrew is his agent now and that bloke has no morals at all. God knows how Nicky ended up with him as an agent - I think it must have been through his mate Jermaine Pennant. Nicky isn't as clean cut as some would like to believe if he is still hanging around with him! Dodgey times ahead with this one I fear.

Archived