IGNORED

Maynard Close To Agreeing New Deal

Dynamite Red

Well this is it isn't it. What I want, that statement alone makes me scream sell him. Sorry Nicky, what the club can afford and nothing more. A...hole.

Out of interest, do you consider Scott Murray and Louis Carey to be A...holes aswell?? both left Bristol City because they got offer more money else where. Neither wanted to leave really, but got offered deals that were to good to turn down.

So by your logic....these two are a....holes aswell.

As Jordan says, no one knows what the contract talks are going like. If there is a sticking point, to assume its solely to do with the basic wage is stupid. He may be asking for something like a "non promotion release clause of £3m"....or something like that, we dont know. On the other hand, he may be asking for £25k a week....again, we dont know.

I cannot believe some people on here are so quick to jump on the lads back when we have no idea whats been discussed.

I can't get my head round some of the posters on here,

Nicky must stay he is our best player and best striker we've had in 20 years,

some of you are assuming he's asking for more money how the **** do you know that were you sat in on contract talks?

How do you know he's not asking for a relise clause or a clause saying he's able to talk to a prem club? how do you know he's asked for 20k and not 8k a week,

Its ppl like those posters who have held this club back for years,

We lost 12 million whoopty ******* doo, 12 million 11 million of that is to steve lansdown we built a new training ground (and now devloping it even more) we spent a lot of money on the new ground already but we owe **** all to the bank its not going to get called in and we're not going to get the HMRI breathing down our necks,

If you want this club to move forward then we simply can not get rid of players like Nicky,

If how ever you want us to rejoin the gas sell our best player and play in sh*t league then carry on

Of and for the season ticket question, My ticket has cost be less every season we've been in the championship thanks to the early bird scheme

some of you are assuming he's asking for more money how the **** do you know that were you sat in on contract talks?

How do you know he's not asking for a relise clause or a clause saying he's able to talk to a prem club? how do you know he's asked for 20k and not 8k a week,

We lost 12 million whoopty ******* doo, 12 million 11 million of that is to steve lansdown we built a new training ground (and now devloping it even more) we spent a lot of money on the new ground already but we owe **** all to the bank its not going to get called in and we're not going to get the HMRI breathing down our necks,

If you want this club to move forward then we simply can not get rid of players like Nicky,

If how ever you want us to rejoin the gas sell our best player and play in sh*t league then carry on

Of and for the season ticket question, My ticket has cost be less every season we've been in the championship thanks to the early bird scheme

Well said

:clapping:

I didn't consider James, I must admit and would say that the only player in our squad who justifies a larger wage than Nicky is DJ. I am one of DJ's most loyal defenders(against the tosh spouted about him on here). One of your "allies" on this topic is one of his biggest critics.

Jordan, I am nobody's ally.

It's a forum so I post my opinion on topics which I feel strongly about. I don't expect everybody to agree with me, and don't really care if people do or not.

The fact of the matter is that a footballer is worth what someone is prepared to pay them and indeed pay for them. I personally don't doubt that Nicky is worth a pay rise from when he originally signed for us, but if the club don't agree he will no doubt be touted around and start next season at a Wigan or Fulham, etc. At the end of the day, its not the fault of footballers (or indeed their agents) that they get paid so much money, its the owners of clubs paying wages that they can't sustain in the vague hope of finding the proverbial pot of gold that distorts the market. The likes of Pompey have ruined it for everyone. But thats still not the players fault and if you were offered £100,000 a week to do the same job you'd been doing the week before, would you turn it down? Thought not

The best ever anecdote (or urban myth?!) of that was when Seth Johnson moved from Derby to Leeds and his agent preped him before they went that he was sure that if they asked for £20k, he could get them to agree to £15k-a-week. Leeds opening offer in the negotiations was £30k and they ended up paying him £35k-a-week. Utter morons

Jordan, I am nobody's ally.

It's a forum so I post my opinion on topics which I feel strongly about. I don't expect everybody to agree with me, and don't really care if people do or not.

I respect that and enjoy the fact that we have different opinions on lots of subjects, I think our arguments are for the most part conducted in a friendly and mature way? Obviously the occasional slip by us all.

Didn't intend for that post to insult you in anyway.

I respect that and enjoy the fact that we have different opinions on lots of subjects, I think our arguments are for the most part conducted in a friendly and mature way? Obviously the occasional slip by us all.

Didn't intend for that post to insult you in anyway.

Thanks for the response.

No offence was taken, I assure you.

Life would be very boring if everybody agreed all the time.

I wouldn't begrudge him being given a new deal that made him our top earner, and us paying him right up to a level we feel is affordable. He is our most prized asset after all

Also i would bang a load of it on as goal bonus, good to be incentivised and all that.

If we stick in a 6m release clause for prem clubs then he could sign it safe in the knowledge we wouldnt/couldnt stand in his way if big offer came in.

We would still have Stead and Pittman in that eventuality, plus a decent chunk of cash

The alternative is we sell him for below true value this summer (due to expiring contract situation), or lose him for nothing further down the line which would be shocking loss of our 2m+ outlay.

Just a thought...... But has anyone thought that maybe just maybe he is not on about money.

Maybe what he wants is to play in a competitive side next season and he is waiting for the club to show him they can match his ambition. Maybe thats what he meant.

Just a thought...... But has anyone thought that maybe just maybe he is not on about money.

Maybe what he wants is to play in a competitive side next season and he is waiting for the club to show him they can match his ambition. Maybe thats what he meant.

The point is that people set up a straw man argument by deciding they know what his motivation is then vilify him for it as if their assumption is proven. Logically if all he wanted is maximum money he would not even discuss a contract and simply make it clear he wanted to go. He would know there was nothing we could do about it and would then have his pick of the offers. The fact he has not done that implies money is not his only motivation. Indeed Keith has said before that Nicky wants to be assured we will be making a concerted promotion effort. It's up to Keith and Colin to show that to his satisfaction. :fingerscrossed:

The point is that people set up a straw man argument by deciding they know what his motivation is then vilify him for it as if their assumption is proven. Logically if all he wanted is maximum money he would not even discuss a contract and simply make it clear he wanted to go. He would know there was nothing we could do about it and would then have his pick of the offers. The fact he has not done that implies money is not his only motivation. Indeed Keith has said before that Nicky wants to be assured we will be making a concerted promotion effort. It's up to Keith and Colin to show that to his satisfaction. :fingerscrossed:

Spot on, it's a pity some other forum users can't seem to bring themselves to arrive at any conclusion other than a negative one. Even about out best player for crying out loud.

This is the most stupid thread I've ever seen, of course he is out to get as much as he can, why the hell would't he?

The last time I checked bcfc offered nicky Maynard a contract for x amount of pounds a week, he accepted the deal, now nicky Maynard is for me one of the best strikers outside the prem and we will have to pay a premium for him, if that's 25k a week then so be it, we either pay it or he takes his services to a club that can afford him.

Nicky Maynard owes Bristol city absolutely nothing apart from 1 more

year of his services, maybe after paying 2.25m we should think about the length of contract we offer or do we all want everything in our favour??

100% agree. As a rule I don't comment on threads like this which are based entirely on assumptions, but in this instance I'm just staggered and at a loss to understand why anyone would want to decide, without any evidence, what it is that someone is asking for and then not only villfy him, but subject him to personal abuse. I just pray that this isn't indicative of the standard of debate that we've got to look forward to this summer.

What are you on. Shaun Goater, Bob Taylor, Andy Cole are all better than Maynard.

No he doesnt want more money, haha.

I would imagine he's asked for a pay rise and a release clause, definately a pay rise for sitting on his arse for 9 months.

So it's not shit management and shit players, blame the fans.

This is a joke surely, losing 12 million in a year is hardly cause to celebrate, maybe Steve Lansdown might not be around one day. Where do you hide then?

What utter crap, John Stead and Brett Pitman have looked a decent partnership upfront, if we cannot afford to pay Maynard "what he wants" then you say tata, on yer bike! Life goes on without Maynard, he has been here 3 seasons, we have been around for over a 100years. Players come and go all the time, you honestly think he gives a crap where he picks his money up from.

Great argument, but I hate to break this to you but, we will sell our best players when the money is right or when the player decide they want to move on for more money, Bristol City in the footballing world rank alongside teams like Bradford, although Bradford have actually played in the Premier League. For the record though, Cardiff as an example have sold there best players nearly every season and there are more than I care to remember, has it done them any harm?

Congratulations for having the money.

Archived