IGNORED

Big Sam To Westham

M_Porter

Wasn't long ago that people wanted him as England manager.

I thought at the time that Alladyce as England manager would make us even more of a laughing stock than we already are. Can you imagine playing hoofball against the likes of Holland, Brazil or Spain.

I thought at the time that Alladyce as England manager would make us even more of a laughing stock than we already are. Can you imagine playing hoofball against the likes of Holland, Brazil or Spain.

Who's to say that Allardyce would have been playing 'hoofball' if he'd had the best players in England at his disposal ?

And do you think an Allardyce team would have played worse than Capello's ? At least they would have played with some pride and not come out with lame excuses about being 'tired'.

The big man is off to westham !

Im guessing that will mean Spence will not be offered a new contract ?

im not sure he fits into the way sam plays.............

Im not sure Sam fits into the way west ham play. This must upset the locals and they will soon be demanding something better after the 5th long punt up field before half time of their first game. Might cause a few problems I think.

Who's to say that Allardyce would have been playing 'hoofball' if he'd had the best players in England at his disposal ?

And do you think an Allardyce team would have played worse than Capello's ? At least they would have played with some pride and not come out with lame excuses about being 'tired'.

Allardyce is an 'old school' manager who doesn't have an original thought in his head. He'd start with Kevin Davies and Crouch up front every game and give instructions to Ferdinand and Terry to 'get in forward. He'd play Rooney just behind the front two.

Dull, low percentatage football that any half decent International team would laugh at and piss all over.

Are you really that simple robbo? have you ever watched his teams play - its not that simple.

This is the manager who brought jay jay okocha to bolton. he also had Youri Djorkaeff at bolton and re-ignited Anelka's career.

His teams do contain flair players.

robbo is right Fat sam only played one way and that was a 50 yard ball over the top to kevin davies,

Thats the reason he got sacked at Newcastle as they demanded attractive football and didn't get that until Houghton came in,

Bolton played the same way as stoke do now hard in the tackle and long ball football thats how west ham will play,

Can't see him lasting until jan

robbo is right Fat sam only played one way and that was a 50 yard ball over the top to kevin davies,

Thats the reason he got sacked at Newcastle as they demanded attractive football and didn't get that until Houghton came in,

Bolton played the same way as stoke do now hard in the tackle and long ball football thats how west ham will play,

Can't see him lasting until jan

If the supporters let him get on with it - they are dead certs to go up.....

I would'nt care the style we played if we got promoted!

If the supporters let him get on with it - they are dead certs to go up.....

I would'nt care the style we played if we got promoted!

never a truer word spoken but there would be an outcry if we started playing that stuff

Back on topic, can't see how the OP has decided that Spence "isn't an Allardyce player", as he'll be under pressure to cut costs and a tall, fit young player on (relatively) low wages by West Ham standards might just be his sort.

Having said that I do hope not, because he is a country mile better than any other option we have at RB at present.

Not if we we're winning most games.....

I for one would complain like never before if Millen started adopting the long ball game regardless of whether City were winning games. Its truly dreadful and awful to watch. I absolutely hate it. That's one reason I've been such a loud critic of McAllister in recent times and Carey in the past. I would seriously consider not going if we were served up that dross game after game.

When you consider that football is in the entertainment business then 'hoofball' is a contradiction in terms.

Not if we we're winning most games.....

I for one would complain like never before if Millen started adopting the long ball game regardless of whether City were winning games. Its truly dreadful and awful to watch. I absolutely hate it. That's one reason I've been such a loud critic of McAllister in recent times and Carey in the past. I would seriously consider not going if we were served up that dross game after game.

When you consider that football is in the entertainment business then 'hoofball' is a contradiction in terms.

Imagine it? I've seen it. Doesn't matter who the England manager is, the team is nearly always hopeless.

Again, its not as simple as just lumping it aimlessly like mcallister does.

With Big Sam, his teams get the ball in the final third as quickly as possible. Then they play football there.

I hate it when city lose and I love it when city win.

You seem to be happy if we knock the ball about a bit - regardless of the result - Thing is, any team in the four proffesional division could knock the ball about all day long if they wished - but its no good if you lose/can't score......

The hard thing to do is win - thats the name of the game. Playing good football is a bonus.

There is nothing entertaining about watching your team lose!

Allardyce is an 'old school' manager who doesn't have an original thought in his head. He'd start with Kevin Davies and Crouch up front every game and give instructions to Ferdinand and Terry to 'get in forward. He'd play Rooney just behind the front two.

Dull, low percentatage football that any half decent International team would laugh at and piss all over.

Again, have you ever watched football? Sam Allardyce is renowned for his use of psychological and motivational techniques that were so crucial to Bolton's success. They did play physical football but who cares? I don't think that 'old school' managers do some of the things that Sam Allardyce did with his team.

And your comment about 'not going' if Millen played long ball, well, don't go then. I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms at your spiritual home, The Emirates. Failing that, I'm hearing the Minimal is going to be pretty empty and we know you have form for enjoying their games.

As has been mentioned, WHU will be forced to trim their squad heavily. Players like Spence will be the backbone of their first team next season. I think we have more chance of getting Caulker back on loan than getting Spence, and I only rate our chances of getting Caulker back at less than 10%

Heard Allardyce being interviewed about an hour ago on Radio5 and he was saying that he wants to build his team around the core of good young players West Ham have at their disposal, which i'm sure will include Spence. I would think the only chance we have of getting him is if Gold and Sullivan take the penny pinching too far in terms of wages and we offer him over the odds for a 19 year old with a dozen-or-so first team games under his belt

On the subject of Big Sam's football, he does play direct football that isn't the most exciting to watch, but i think that is a product of what he's had to work with rather a willful desire to play hoofball. At Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle he didn't exactly have a world-class bunch of players to choose from, so he created tactics that suited the players available and those he could acquire. Following on from Bolton, only certain clubs are going to be interested and so the tactic is perpetuated. If you put him in charge of Barcelona, i'm sure they wouldn't be firing long balls at new signing Kevin Davies

Heard Allardyce being interviewed about an hour ago on Radio5 and he was saying that he wants to build his team around the core of good young players West Ham have at their disposal, which i'm sure will include Spence. I would think the only chance we have of getting him is if Gold and Sullivan take the penny pinching too far in terms of wages and we offer him over the odds for a 19 year old with a dozen-or-so first team games under his belt

On the subject of Big Sam's football, he does play direct football that isn't the most exciting to watch, but i think that is a product of what he's had to work with rather a willful desire to play hoofball. At Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle he didn't exactly have a world-class bunch of players to choose from, so he created tactics that suited the players available and those he could acquire. Following on from Bolton, only certain clubs are going to be interested and so the tactic is perpetuated. If you put him in charge of Barcelona, i'm sure they wouldn't be firing long balls at new signing Kevin Davies

I don't think i can agree with you there! He'd get terrible stick from the Barca fans and be there for less time that he was at Newcastle!

In partial defence of Big Sam, as Riaz pointed out he had Okocha and Anelka. TYo that i would add fine footballers- among them WC and CL winners in Djorkaeff, Campo, Hierro. Hardly long ball merchant- are they? At Blackburn, he signed Salgado- a former Spain international and CL winner, and almost signed one fine player in Guti and one of the most decorated of this era in Raul. Simplistic to call him simple long ball manager IMO.

I don't think i can agree with you there! He'd get terrible stick from the Barca fans and be there for less time that he was at Newcastle!

I didn't say he'd do a good job, just that he wouldn't sign Kevin Davis and wouldn't dispense with the need for midfielders!

Archived