IGNORED

Millen And His Terminology

Robbored

Just watched Millens interview regarding Taylor and my heart sank at those dreaded words 'target-man'.

Now I'm probably being a tad touchy but to me the term 'target man' brings back memories of long humps up the pitch looking for knock downs. A tactic that is not only awful to watch but with a very low success rate.

We didn't see much hoof last ball season and I thought that was down to Millen making a deliberate decision not adopt dinosaur football. Now he's mentioning Adebola like he's a long resource when in reality we saw so many low reward aimless punts when he was playing that is was laughable. Now I suspect the attempts at decent last season football was simply down to the absence of a target man.

I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that Millen is planning to adopt a longer ball approach next season, after all long humps the pitch was all Millen ever did when he was playing.

I can't say that next season fills me with optimism having heard todays interview.

Yet another overreaction. It's getting boring now.

We can already use Stead as a Target Man and did at times. If Taylor can play on the deck too like both he and Millen seemed to think he can then he's Stead's backup, simple as that.

Just watched Millens interview regarding Taylor and my heart sank at those dreaded words 'target-man'.

Now I'm probably being a tad touchy but to me the term 'target man' brings back memories of long humps up the pitch looking for knock downs. A tactic that is not only awful to watch but with a very low success rate.

We didn't see much hoof last ball season and I thought that was down to Millen making a deliberate decision not adopt dinosaur football. Now he's mentioning Adebola like he's a long resource when in reality we saw so many low reward aimless punts when he was playing that is was laughable. Now I suspect the attempts at decent last season football was simply down to the absence of a target man.

I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that Millen is planning to adopt a longer ball approach next season, after all long humps the pitch was all Millen ever did when he was playing.

I can't say that next season fills me with optimism having heard todays interview.

You need to be able to mix it up at this level. We would all love to play like Barca but it ain't gonna happen. When we are away from home and under a lot of pressure you sometime need an out ball. Someone who can hold the ball up and get the midfield involved. How many times have we been under pressure and the ball just keeps coming straight back, keeping the defence pend in.

Your analysis might have credence if you believe that Millen is going to start Taylor in EVERY game.

He isn't, but he is an option if we need to get the ball forward quickly. There's nothing wrong with that in my view, so long as it remains an option, rather than it becoming de rigeur.

At least we won't need that creative midfielder now :laughcont:

My initial thoughts on this signing, along with what I've heard about him as a player, leave me somewhat underwhelmed. I'm not sure why I feel that way, as I've said on here many times I expect another difficult season next season. Still early days, but I expect a relegation scrap again at some stage of the season. Hopefully keef will alay those fears in the coming weeks. To quote a source "We are trying to get players, but they won't come here" Whether that's because we aren't offering enough (personally I don't think that's the reason), or because we aren't attractive enough I have no idea.

Not sure what games you were watching but we did play a lot of long ball crap.

We did and indeed always do when confidence is low, as do most English teams. In fact (again like many teams, including the U21s of happy memory), we will employ it even if there is no big man up front. When we were confident we would play the ball to Adebola's feet or in the channels for him to power past defenders. When we were struggling we would hump it forward, which, despite his size, didn't suit him at all. Having some defenders who are comfortable on the ball and less inclined to hoof the ball aimlessly forward would help, along with a Leon Britton type midfielder who takes the ball off the defence and uses it well might allay any fears.

You fickle bugger!

and, you don't really understand the position of "target man" very well do you? It doesn't neccessarily mean long balls. It just means the ball will be played into him (as with Stead) with their back to goal and we will push past him whilst he holds the ball up and plays it wide...

You need to be able to mix it up at this level. We would all love to play like Barca but it ain't gonna happen. When we are away from home and under a lot of pressure you sometime need an out ball. Someone who can hold the ball up and get the midfield involved. How many times have we been under pressure and the ball just keeps coming straight back, keeping the defence pend in.

No you don't.

The Jacks played the same way every game and now they're in the PL.

and, you don't really understand the position of "target man" very well do you? It doesn't neccessarily mean long balls. It just means the ball will be played into him (as with Stead) with their back to goal and we will push past him whilst he holds the ball up and plays it wide...

Then why use the dreaded term 'target man'? I'm sure I'm not the only fan who has terrible memories of previous managers using the term and what it meant on the pitch. Long balls after long balls. McAllister was in his element.

Players don't have be tall and beefy to hold the ball up. Brooker was brilliant at it and only 6.0ft tall.

No you don't.

The Jacks played the same way every game and now they're in the PL.

You will also have noticed that all the Swansea players were able to pass a ball to their own team mates, looked comfy on the ball and closed the opposition down very quickly. If we want to play like that 90% of our players need replacing

Players don't have be tall and beefy to hold the ball up. Brooker was brilliant at it and only 6.0ft tall.

So why are you bricking it then? Brooker was often referred to as a target man.

Taylor himself even talked of linking play and bringing others into the game - sounded like he sees himself as a provider not a head on a stick.

some fans make knee jerk reactions and can't see the bigger picture. more knowledgeable fans will see that Millen is trying to mould a young adaptable squad for a championship season.

Indeed.

My beef is Millens terminology.

Why use a term that fills purist fans like me with horror?

Indeed.

My beef is Millens terminology.

Why use a term that fills purist fans like me with horror?

just guessing but maybe he's a highly qualified coach who knows what he's doing and doesnt give a shit what some self important knowall with zero experience in the stands thinks?

just guessing but maybe he's a highly qualified coach who knows what he's doing and doesnt give a shit what some self important knowall with zero experience in the stands thinks?

Serving up shite on the pitch is a sure way for any manager to lose the support of the fans. Ask Roy Hodgson. So far Millen hasn't done that on a regular basis but using terms like 'target-man' feel me dread that he will.

If he does - he won't last long and he's smart enough to know that.

Serving up shite on the pitch is a sure way for any manager to lose the support of the fans. Ask Roy Hodgson. So far Millen hasn't done that on a regular basis but using terms like 'target-man' feel me dread that he will.

If he does - he won't last long and he's smart enough to know that.

he is indeed smart enough to know that. So why are you panicking and spreading negative nonsense again?

• Admin

As well as buying forwards Millen also loves buying wingers. Maybe the idea is to get the ball out wide and pepper the opposition's box with crosses. In this instance isn't it preferable to have someone in the centre who is good in the air?

he is indeed smart enough to know that. So why are you panicking and spreading negative nonsense again?

I mistakenly thought that with a smart, highly qualified young manager in charge that we would no longer hear terms like 'target man'. I thought he'd moved on from such tired and old fashioned ideals and is trying to develop new attitudes and style of play in the players.

Whats next? ''clubs in the bag"?

I think its really important that all managers should come out with the right way of expressing their ideals. Using old fashioned terminology doesn't help.

As well as buying forwards Millen also loves buying wingers. Maybe the idea is to get the ball out wide and pepper the opposition's box with crosses. In this instance isn't it preferable to have someone in the centre who is good in the air?

Everybody knows pacey exciting wingers are only there for knock downs.

So you think its amusing because I, and many other fans like to see the beautiful game played in an attractive/pure way?

I found it amusing that you seem to have a high opinion of yourself....

I also find it amusing that you want football played the right way, but any costs. You dont mind your team losing if they knock the ball around.

But the difficult thing to do is to play nice football and win - any manager in the world could tell his team to knock it around and you'd be happy....

I suppose thats why you rate the worse managers.

I mistakenly thought that with a smart, highly qualified young manager in charge that we would no longer hear terms like 'target man'. I thought he'd moved on from such tired and old fashioned ideals and is trying to develop new attitudes and style of play in the players.

Whats next? ''clubs in the bag"?

I think its really important that all managers should come out with the right way of expressing their ideals. Using old fashioned terminology doesn't help.

If the ability to articulate one's thoughts coherently is so important, Robbored, ought not the sage be able to understand the difference between ideas and ideals?

Archived