IGNORED

Off Loading Players...

spudski

It's great to see KM being so active in the market and building a team to his liking. The board are obviously backing him, which is nice to see.

What has suprised me though, is we have added to the squad, but we haven't off loaded anyone yet. Maybe this will all get sorted when the players are back from their hols. It's Nice that the board have let KM buy before offloading though...unless deals have already been done behind closed doors, that we don't know of yet.

Players will leave naturally once they see there paths to the first team blocked. I can imagine LJ will be asking to go now that Kilkenny has signed. Did'nt play much last year and will get even less opportunities next season.

From what i understand in KM interviews is that they are trying to offload but it is easier said than done. I agree that eventually players will leave when they don't play but i think that is more likely to happen in Jan than this summer.

It's a shame but i can't see much movement outbounds this summer. I think the likes of Stewart, Hunt, Johnson and Clarkson will be hanging round till January at least.

Which is a worry, as i thought it was imperritive that we reduced the wage bill. We could be even further in debt next season.

What is encouraging, is that the board are backing KM in his spending, and that we don't have to rely on wages being reduced first.

It's a shame but i can't see much movement outbounds this summer. I think the likes of Stewart, Hunt, Johnson and Clarkson will be hanging round till January at least.

Johnson is rumoured to be joining up with Daddy at Northampton in a swap + cash deal for one of there lads, Michael Jacobs.

How long do the likes of LJ etc have left on their contract?

1 year i would guess.

What pisses me off about players like Johnson is they are average squad players used in rotation and yet never seem to be out-of-contract. After the play-off final they gave all these players new contracts without telling us and now it seems like they will forever be contracted to our club. The club has got to be very careful at the length of contract that we sign 'average' players on or when renewing current deals. e.g. if carey gets more than a year i'll be fuming!

It's great to see KM being so active in the market and building a team to his liking. The board are obviously backing him, which is nice to see.

What has suprised me though, is we have added to the squad, but we haven't off loaded anyone yet. Maybe this will all get sorted when the players are back from their hols. It's Nice that the board have let KM buy before offloading though...unless deals have already been done behind closed doors, that we don't know of yet.

i was thinking the same the other day too.

As said above, I imagine we will see some movement in July.

The trouble is we pay good wages for this division and so if the player doesn;t work out, we are lumbered with a high earner.

Think LJ will do a 'Trundle' and go out on loan a few times to lower division clubs until January at least, Hunt has been told to find another club so he may do the same.......those are the 2 biggest earners that are surplus to requirements.

BCAGFC

Players will leave naturally once they see there paths to the first team blocked. I can imagine LJ will be asking to go now that Kilkenny has signed. Did'nt play much last year and will get even less opportunities next season.

If only it were that easy.

Some players will go soon though, no doubt. Some we probably won't be able to sell, but may go out on loan deals if someone wants them.

Johnson is rumoured to be joining up with Daddy at Northampton in a swap + cash deal for one of there lads, Michael Jacobs.

I'd be very surprised if Lee Johnson agreed to drop two divisions to play for his dad. He said that after his experiences at Yeovil and City that he's never play for him again.

I've wondered about this too. As OP said, imperative that wages are reduced and I would suggest markedly so given imminent arrival of FFP. I'm actually a bit worried given the stringency of those regulations. One or two on here have said as far as this level is concerned, they're purely theoretical at this stage and nothing much to worry about- but I do wonder.

The key with off-loading players is someone has to actually want them. Nicky Hunt? Who'd want him? And there are quite a few others who will probably disappear to lower leagues. Problem is clubs are cutting their cloth

To be honest, i can't see anyone wanting to buy him. Maybe the board could have talks with him regarding a mutual termination? Offer a lump sum and hope he takes it!

I'd be very surprised if Lee Johnson agreed to drop two divisions to play for his dad. He said that after his experiences at Yeovil and City that he's never play for him again.

I know what he said and I agree he'd be foolish to play for dad again but he's good player at that level.

People are always changing their mind and his circumstances are a little different now to what they were when he made those comments.

What's he got left a year? He could play for the ressies for the next 12 months and then has to find a club or he could be more realistic and take drop in standard and wages to play regular 1st team football.

Let's face facts hell never be good enough to play regular football in the championship.

My thoughts exactly! Contrary to the apparantly widely held view that he isn't good enough at this level, LJ was a success at Derby, on loan, and could still get a move to a side at this level or in League 1. Lee remains effective in a midfield 5 or narrow 3. Too much baggage here though I suspect. I doubt too, whether there is any League 2 side least of all Northampton who could afford his wages, even in a more austere labour market.

Why have Derby not come after him then if he was so successful? I've seen enough of the player to know he ain't good enough. Let's see how much interest there is for him the next two months.

The fact you say he needs to play in a midfield 5 or narrow 3 shows you know he needs others to carry him and do his graft. You shouldnt have to adapt your formation and staff just so you can fit him in team.

Why have Derby not come after him then if he was so successful? I've seen enough of the player to know he ain't good enough. Let's see how much interest there is for him the next two months.

The fact you say he needs to play in a midfield 5 or narrow 3 shows you know he needs others to carry him and do his graft. You shouldnt have to adapt your formation and staff just so you can fit him in team.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he is a world beater, far from it!! At the time of his loan, the Derby fans and Clough spoke highly of him, and wanted to extend his loan, City recalled him. I'm not suggesting changing formations to accommodate him either, just pointing out thatI think those formations suit him. Some players thrive better in other than 442 formations eg, in my humble opinion, Nyatanga is better on the left of a back 3 where he played well with Wales, than on the left of a centreback partnership or as a left back in a back 4. I think LJ needs to move on now and City need to move forward. I think he has taken more than his fair share of flack, over the years, sometimes fully justified and other times bang out of order. He's definitely better than a League 2 player.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he is a world beater, far from it!! At the time of his loan, the Derby fans and Clough spoke highly of him, and wanted to extend his loan, City recalled him. I'm not suggesting changing formations to accommodate him either, just pointing out thatI think those formations suit him. Some players thrive better in other than 442 formations eg, in my humble opinion, Nyatanga is better on the left of a back 3 where he played well with Wales, than on the left of a centreback partnership or as a left back in a back 4. I think LJ needs to move on now and City need to move forward. I think he has taken more than his fair share of flack, over the years, sometimes fully justified and other times bang out of order. He's definitely better than a League 2 player.

LJ is a lot better than a L2 player, i think what lets him down most is his lack of pace and his height. But i think with him in the side we have generally performed better. I know stats can lie, but i think he moves the ball around, it may not always be forward, but he does move it and that is of benefit of the team. When you have the likes of Skuse Cisse and Elliot playing they will give you the tackling and work, but i think we can all see when we have Cisse Skuse Cisse Elliot or Skuse Elliot, the wingers do not get fed, and the ball generally goes longer. when lJ plays and the floor is kept on the deck the winger get fed more. You take your choices i guess, because with Cisse playing with Elliot if frees up Elliot to bomb into the box, but then you rely on your full backs to feed the wingers.

I have seen a lot better passing central midfielder in a city shirt, but some of the criticism he gets is beyond belief look back over the years when we have had a struggling teams, compare Johnson to some of those midfielders, then you will realise he is not a shit as some people make out. Just wish he would shoot more, the boy has a stonking shot, just seems the way we pay we never get him far enough up the pitch. I think that is more the way our managers set us up rather than a Johnson shortcoming.

I didn't realise the fans had to be consulted before renewing a player's contract :unsure:

No, course they don't. That's not what i meant.

Usually when a player signs a new contract it is announced on the website as it is a pretty significant piece of news fans wise. The point im making is that the club extended and bettered the contracts of a number of players after the play-off final without really announcing it. I don't think anyone was made aware of it until a year or so later when GJ was talking about offloading players and he explained that a number of players had been given new contracts the summer before.

From what i understand in KM interviews is that they are trying to offload but it is easier said than done. I agree that eventually players will leave when they don't play but i think that is more likely to happen in Jan than this summer.

I think I must be one of the few that actually likes Stewart. Thought he got stronger as the season went on and was very solid.

I think I must be one of the few that actually likes Stewart. Thought he got stronger as the season went on and was very solid.

Trouble is, I'd imagine he's one of the higher earners in the squad without having the ability to justify it.

Compared to Nyatanga and Wilson (who I thought were both excellent at the end of the season), he's probably earning a lot more than both of those without being any better than them.

Plus he's blocking the path to the first team for these young players that have the potential to be much better players than Stewart who is clearly only going to decline.

Stewart did ok last season but he is so inconsistent.

One match he would be excellent and win everything and then the next game he was turning like the QE2, IMO, he is ok as a back up but I would love to see James Wilson given a long run in the side.......that boy is good.

BCAGFC

Bottom line is, no solid offers for Johnson...or any of the others.

Hunt, Johnson & Stewart all have nice big contracts and aren't going to be willing to write of what they are owed.

Fair to say we are unlikely to get a fee for any of them, Even if we find them a club, simply we are going to have to pay them to leave.

Bottom line is, no solid offers for Johnson...or any of the others.

Hunt, Johnson & Stewart all have nice big contracts and aren't going to be willing to write of what they are owed.

Fair to say we are unlikely to get a fee for any of them, Even if we find them a club, simply we are going to have to pay them to leave.

I find the stance of players like this quite short sighted. Hunt for instance could be looking at 5 or 6 more years as a pro. if I were a manager in 12 months time looking for an experienced full back, I would'nt even consider Hunt (apart from the fact he is pants) I would form the opinion that if he does stay at BCFC and take the money because he refuses to take a drop in wages as a player only interested in the money and not the beautiful game. in short he could be playing Russian roulette with the rest of his career and see it end prematurely because nobody will touch him.

Archived