IGNORED

Millen Interview:

Harito495

In Milly's interview he gave the first suggestion of tactics & I for one am extremely happy to hear what he said:

In the 2nd half we played to many long balls, but when we kept it shorter we played a lot better.

I'm very pleased to hear he is looking to keep it short & hopefully quick :D

In Milly's interview he gave the first suggestion of tactics & I for one am extremely happy to hear what he said:

In the 2nd half we played to many long balls, but when we kept it shorter we played a lot better.

I'm very pleased to hear he is looking to keep it short & hopefully quick :D

He also mentioned this last season. What worries me, is that KM obviously wants the Team to play 'football', and i presume from reading into his words, that they practice this in training. Yet when it comes to actual match day, the team revert to playing long ball tactics. This for me is a great worry, as it usually means the players doing it, haven't got enough time to find a pass, or players aren't making themselves available to receive such a pass. We often saw long hopeful balls down the channel's last season, for the forwards or wingers to run on to. A case of both from what i witnessed last year. Another quality midfielder is needed imho. Someone who can turn and receive the ball, and pass it first time. Some defenders who can defend, and are comfortable on the ball would also be nice too...

I'd be interested to know, from anyone at the game, whether these long balls generally came from the LB and CB positions...just a hunch. :surrender:

He also mentioned this last season. What worries me, is that KM obviously wants the Team to play 'football', and i presume from reading into his words, that they practice this in training. Yet when it comes to actual match day, the team revert to playing long ball tactics. This for me is a great worry, as it usually means the players doing it, haven't got enough time to find a pass, or players aren't making themselves available to receive such a pass. We often saw long hopeful balls down the channel's last season, for the forwards or wingers to run on to. A case of both from what i witnessed last year. Another quality midfielder is needed imho. Someone who can turn and receive the ball, and pass it first time. Some defenders who can defend, and are comfortable on the ball would also be nice too...

The tendency for mainly British players to resort to the hoof ball has been debated on here any times and ultimately it takes a manager like Martinez when he was at Swansea to get a British (outside the PL) team playing possession football. He did it gradually with a sprinkling of foreign imports with European backgrounds and coached them all to 'play football'. It was his legacy that took the Jacks into the PL.

No doubt Millen wants to play decent football but the vast majority of his squad are British. Only Cisse has a European background. He is up against an ingrained and instinctive desire in the defenders to lump it because thats the way they were taught from a young age. To re programme these players is a tough task, especially with the older players like Carey and McAllister. The expression "you can't teach an old dog new tricks'' is very apt.

When Millen was a player all he did was lump it forward again and again. He was never coached to play 'possession football'. Now, as a manager he can see how ineffective long ball is. TFFT,

I think we all applaud his wish to serve up attractive football, its long overdue at AG but it ain't going to happen overnight.

Well i'm a great advocate for bringing in foreign staff and players, so i'm glad you mentioned it and not me, because i generally get slated and the piss taken out of me.

However... I understand where you are coming from, and it makes sense.

At the end of the day though, fans expect more these days, and hoof ball is not attractive to watch. We can go to the downs to watch that if need be. The Club want more people through the turnstiles, perhaps they should think about altering what is served up year in year out. I totally respect Swansea for what they did, and i should imagine, most genuine football fans will wish them well next year.

I'd be interested to know, from anyone at the game, whether these long balls generally came from the LB and CB positions...just a hunch. :surrender:

In the first half we played some decent stuff with Killkenny dropping deep and getting the ball off the centre half's. He fed some decent balls into the front two and out wide, including a very good ball splitting the defence for NM who shot wide.

Second half was completely different, with Lewin and Wilson just banging it long up to the front two who hardly had a sniff all half. If this was due to our centre midfielders not showing for the ball i'm not sure but KM gave them an almighty bollocking after the game. We couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but there was a lot of shouting going on.

Put into perspective though it was our first friendly and there is time to get it right.

Killkenny,R Taylor looked good as did Bolasie in fits and starts.

KM gave them an almighty bollocking after the game. We couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but there was a lot of shouting going on.

Impressive stuff, watching him post-match it appeared as though he wasn't taking it too seriously (and the only thing I could think was "I'm sure GJ wouldn't have let this pass so easily"), good to hear he is.

In the first half we played some decent stuff with Killkenny dropping deep and getting the ball off the centre half's. He fed some decent balls into the front two and out wide, including a very good ball splitting the defence for NM who shot wide.

Second half was completely different, with Lewin and Wilson just banging it long up to the front two who hardly had a sniff all half. If this was due to our centre midfielders not showing for the ball i'm not sure but KM gave them an almighty bollocking after the game. We couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but there was a lot of shouting going on.

Put into perspective though it was our first friendly and there is time to get it right.

Thanks for that. I often thought last year that our midfield didn't show enough to receive the ball from defense. Hense a lot of balls hoofed as a last option...or first depending what defender had the ball.

Good to know Kilkenny was droping deep to collect the ball. We've missed that for too long. Hopefully some of our forwards will learn from that and come deep to and collect also.

KM gave them an almighty bollocking after the game. We couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but there was a lot of shouting going on.

Excellent. It was only a friendly and the result didn't matter, but KM is obviously fiercely determined his City will play football, and not just boot the ball.

I'm mighty impressed to hear of Keith's bollocking as well - I really wasn't sure he had it in him and a first hand report from a fan at the game that he read the riot act to the miscreants makes great reading.

Not a happy man at all. He was also very impressive after the the training day. He called all the fans together and apologised for the game being moved. He also said Damien Stewart's passport and work permit had expired so he couldn't travel.

He was happy to answer questions for 15-20 minutes and all the players were happy to chat,have a laugh and have photo's taken.

The training drills were interesting as well. lots of short sharp passing, lots of movement off the ball and moving the ball quickly. Probably why KM was so angry after the second half.

Excellent. It was only a friendly and the result didn't matter, but KM is obviously fiercely determined his City will play football, and not just boot the ball.

I'm mighty impressed to hear of Keith's bollocking as well - I really wasn't sure he had it in him and a first hand report from a fan at the game that he read the riot act to the miscreants makes great reading.

I know Keef comes over as a nice bloke whenever he's interviewed but I'm surprised that you thought he might not be able to dish out the bollockings when required. He's the boss of 30+ professional footballers and its always going to be necessary from time to time to adopt a tough approach. Could be after a game or if a player steps out of line. Its part of doing the job.

He'll have seen/heard other managers dish out bollockings when he was playing and witnessed Johnson doing the same when he was number 2. He's clever enough to have realised how, where and when to dish it out for maximum effect.

Last night was a good example. The players on training camp, relaxed and maybe not taking a warm up game too seriously and consequently conceding two sloppy goals. Keef wading into them will have had the desired effect.

I was there also and agree that R Taylor looks fairly useful, he seemed to hold the ball up well and bring other into play. The balls aimed at him were on the ground, in the air and in the channels and he seemed equally comfortable in each of these scenarios. Towards the end of the first half I think either Charlton got wise to the way we were playing or we decided to try and use the wide players a little more ie. Yannick and Marlon, with Yannick especially looking good at getting to the byline, but not necessarily delivering the final ball.

Killkenny also liked to pick the ball up from deep, but nine times out of ten there wasn't the opportunity to play a through ball because of lack of movement or good covering from the Charlton defence, but this doesn't need to be a concern as he can't be expected to play a killer ball every time to receives the ball - let's just hope fans don't get on his back when he keeps it simple and passes sideways etc..

In the first half I'd suggest that we had 65% maybe 70% possession and looked in control of the game, however, and this is a worry, a couple of times Charlton got some chances to score because of our defensive lapses. I'm not sure what it is, but we're still missing that real leader in the back four who can shout, bollock and organise the entire defence, making sure they all stay awake. I'm pretty certain that if we had somebody like that at the club, the other defenders would learn from them. Again, it's not something to be unduly worried about and Keith is completely aware that this is a weak area as it was proved in the 2nd half.

I was there also and agree that R Taylor looks fairly useful, he seemed to hold the ball up well and bring other into play. The balls aimed at him were on the ground, in the air and in the channels and he seemed equally comfortable in each of these scenarios. Towards the end of the first half I think either Charlton got wise to the way we were playing or we decided to try and use the wide players a little more ie. Yannick and Marlon, with Yannick especially looking good at getting to the byline, but not necessarily delivering the final ball.

Killkenny also liked to pick the ball up from deep, but nine times out of ten there wasn't the opportunity to play a through ball because of lack of movement or good covering from the Charlton defence, but this doesn't need to be a concern as he can't be expected to play a killer ball every time to receives the ball - let's just hope fans don't get on his back when he keeps it simple and passes sideways etc..

In the first half I'd suggest that we had 65% maybe 70% possession and looked in control of the game, however, and this is a worry, a couple of times Charlton got some chances to score because of our defensive lapses. I'm not sure what it is, but we're still missing that real leader in the back four who can shout, bollock and organise the entire defence, making sure they all stay awake. I'm pretty certain that if we had somebody like that at the club, the other defenders would learn from them. Again, it's not something to be unduly worried about and Keith is completely aware that this is a weak area as it was proved in the 2nd half.

I worry for Kilkenny if that was the case again. Evander Sno had the same problems. Made to look mediocre because the rest of his team lacked movement, or think it's exceptable to stand still with their back to goal. We really do lack movement in midfield, and the amount of times you see our forwards static or running expecting balls over the top is incredulous. It really is basic stuff tbh.

I agree, but Cisse was at the back so hopefully with some additions we will be fine :fingerscrossed: As for the Killkenny and lack of movement problem. We were working a lot on movement on/off the ball and moving it at pace in training,so KM is trying to solve the problem. He has to settle into the side and other players need to get to know his game. It won't happen overnight.

I agree, but Cisse was at the back so hopefully with some additions we will be fine :fingerscrossed: As for the Killkenny and lack of movement problem. We were working a lot on movement on/off the ball and moving it at pace in training,so KM is trying to solve the problem. He has to settle into the side and other players need to get to know his game. It won't happen overnight.

I think from what i've seen and heard, that we practice and train a certain way, but when it comes to match day, many of our players panick and revert to route 1. It's a lack of confidence in their own a bility, and being frightened to make a mistake. Top players aren't afraid, and are willing to make some errors. We can't seem to overcome it for some reason.

I think from what i've seen and heard, that we practice and train a certain way, but when it comes to match day, many of our players panick and revert to route 1. It's a lack of confidence in their own a bility, and being frightened to make a mistake. Top players aren't afraid, and are willing to make some errors. We can't seem to overcome it for some reason.

Trouble with that is, if they can't try things in practice matches that has no relevance apart from team shape. Then when can they?

I know Keef comes over as a nice bloke whenever he's interviewed but I'm surprised that you thought he might not be able to dish out the bollockings when required. He's the boss of 30+ professional footballers and its always going to be necessary from time to time to adopt a tough approach. Could be after a game or if a player steps out of line. Its part of doing the job.

He'll have seen/heard other managers dish out bollockings when he was playing and witnessed Johnson doing the same when he was number 2. He's clever enough to have realised how, where and when to dish it out for maximum effect.

Last night was a good example. The players on training camp, relaxed and maybe not taking a warm up game too seriously and consequently conceding two sloppy goals. Keef wading into them will have had the desired effect.

There were occasions during the poor runs last season when many of us hoped KM was in a fury with the players but we weren't sure if it ever happened because it didn't show with greater efforts in the next performance.

It was all conjecture. Now we know he can get really angry because fans have witnessed it first hand.

Perhaps he did get angry last year when necessary or perhaps he now feels, with lots of the players actually signed by him, and being more at ease in a managerial position he feels he has attained sufficient authority and respect to bare his teeth, fairly unpleasantly, if required.

Either way, it's good to see because to my mind it's a mark of him progressing in the role, and let's hope the players concerned get the message and respond positively.

In fact I remember you mocking him about giving out giving out copies of the game and supposedly never being aggressive; ignorance is bliss, eh?

In fact I remember you mocking him about giving out giving out copies of the game and supposedly never being aggressive; ignorance is bliss, eh?

What I remember is a headline on the official site,'Keith in a fury', or similar after a particularly pathetic capitulation by the team.

Many on here doubted his propensity for raging furies particularly when the next performance was similarly dire.

Ignorance is bliss? Not sure what you're getting at Ron - neither you, I, Robbored, or anybody else on here know whether he could, at that time, give the players a proper bollocking when necessary.

We now have a first hand account from a fan that he is now willing and able to do so.

As I said this is welcome news - it may well be KM is more assured now in his managerial role, feels he has got the respect of the players and therefore when they see him genuinely angry they are likely to respond.

Good news all round.

What I remember is a headline on the official site,'Keith in a fury', or similar after a particularly pathetic capitulation by the team.

Many on here doubted his propensity for raging furies particularly when the next performance was similarly dire.

Ignorance is bliss? Not sure what you're getting at Ron - neither you, I, Robbored, or anybody else on here know whether he could, at that time, give the players a proper bollocking when necessary.

By this logic you are contradicting yourself by mocking him for not getting into the players, then. As was my original point.

By this logic you are contradicting yourself by mocking him for not getting into the players, then. As was my original point.

You're losing me here. I'm saying he didn't appear to be bollocking them sufficiently 'furiously' last season judging by their reaction (lack of it) in the next game, so 'Keith in a fury' had a somewhat hollow ring.

Where am I contradicting myself? There is no proof that he could, and did, show an angry authority then, there is proof he can, and does, now.

Many people were arguing at the time this came up last season that a good manager doesn't need to shout at the players anyway - they can't have it both ways.

Why are you trying to stir up an argument when I'm clearly praising KM for his actions now?

Archived